Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for April, 2018?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 26 31.33%
:worship: Keith Lee (FORMER PWG Champion) 0 0%
:btroll: WALTER (PWG Champion) 20 24.10%
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 5 6.02%
:love: Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 4 4.82%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 3 3.61%
:gifttank: Nia Jax (Raw Women's Champion) 2 2.41%
Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) 3 3.61%
Dalton Castle (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (FORMER Impact Global Champion) 0 0%
:miedo: Pentagon Jr (Impact Global Champion) 7 8.43%
:troll: Charlotte (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 3 3.61%
:meowth: Carmella (Smackdown Women's Champion) 2 2.41%
:tipshat: Toni Storm (World of Stardom Champion) 0 0%
:myballs: Less Champions, More Dickpunching (None of the Above) 8 9.64%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Despite strong showings from both of the previous month's PWG Champions, NJPW's Okada once again managed a clear if far from dominant victory to return to the winner's circle. Okada's victory actually comes as a bit of a surprise given he had no title defense in March, and was only included in the poll because the story of the build to his April match against Zack Sabre Junior completely dominated that entire month. Even so, some would argue that this story focused more on ZSJ than Okada, but in the end no other champion was able to wrest the winner's spot from Okada at his "weakest".

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" as shown as recently as last month, so feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - March was all about the build of Okada's opponent at the start of this month, but Okada made it clear on the 1st of the month that HE was the main attraction. In a superb match, Okada upset ZSJ's carefully prepared submission specialty by making use of Lucha Submissions he learned at the start of his own career. While he couldn't compete with ZSJ on the submission side of things, he could disrupt them, pushing ZSJ into more pro-wrestling where Okada's dominance and superiority could not be denied. Since then, Okada has been clashing sporadically with his old rival Tanahashi, the only man who can now stand in the way of Okada defeating Tanahashi's own long standing record for successful title defenses.

:worship: Keith Lee (FORMER PWG Champion) - Keith Lee's title reign was a shortlived on, as he failed to meet Chuck Taylor's challenge to elevate the title to a higher level than Taylor himself had managed. With Lee expected to be officially announced as a WWE signee, the fact he won in the first place was perhaps more surprising than his quick loss. But then again, his opponent...

:btroll: WALTER (PWG Champion) - In a triple threat between Keith Lee, Jonah Rock and WALTER, it was the big Austrian who came out on top. After disposing of Roch, WALTER hit the top rope splash on Lee only to see him kick out at one. The crowd went nuts, but WALTER wasn't bothered, just clotheslining Lee's soul from his body to lay him out for good. After Lee's promo, things moved on quickly as Sammy Guevara - who had claimed he wouldn't return unless he got a title shot - rushed to the ring to attack WALTER. WALTER wasn't bothered, and just chopped the gently caress out of him instead.

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - AJ retained the title but may have lost his balls. In a surprisingly underwhelming match, AJ and Shinsuke Nakamura went on late on the Wrestlemania card and their match ended abruptly with a clean win to AJ. What happened afterwards was magical though, as Nakamura turned heel and began his one-man war on AJ Styles' balls. AJ's next dream match against Daniel Bryan was ruined by Nakamura too, who now takes tremendous pleasure in striking AJ's balls when he least expects it.

:love: Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - After defeating Joe Doering, Miyahara got involved in the Champion Carnival, eventually reaching the final match against Pro-Wrestling NOAH's Naomichi Marufuji. In a lauded match those who saw claimed to be a definite Match of the Year candidate, the two went at it for 25 minutes. The result will presumably have longer term implications for the Champion so early in his reign.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) - Alexa Bliss talked poo poo and got hit. Finally having to face up to her former friend, Bliss attempted to defend her title at Wrestlemania. Things did not go well for her.

:gifttank: Nia Jax (Raw Women's Champion) - Nia achieved her dream, not just of getting revenge on Bliss but also becoming the Women's Champion after years of failed attempts and false hope. Since then Bliss hasn't given up on needling her and Jax hasn't given up on trying to beat her up some more, the difference now being that Jax is the one holding the title.

Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) - Roman said he was the only one who could beat Brock. He failed. At Wrestlemania, Brock hit the same F5 that had put down BRAUN and Samoa Joe but Roman kicked out... and nobody cared. So they did it again. And again. And again and again and again. Then Brock just beat Roman. Clean. Then they went to Saudi Arabia and had a cage match for no reason. Brock won that one too. He got richer too, with a new contract and UFC also courting him. Life is good for Brock. Not so much for Roman.

Dalton Castle (ROH World Champion) - At Supercard of Honor, in front of ROH's biggest ever crowd, Dalton Castle successfully defended his title against the villain Marty Scurll. Castle held onto the title through the month, defeating Flip Gordon in the process. But he also lost a four-way featuring Marty Scurll, meaning the villain isn't quite done with him yet.

:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (FORMER Impact Global Champion) - With Alberto El Patron torpedoing his own career yet again, Impact needed to come up with a replacement for their main event. So in an exciting triple-threat as part of a co-promotion with Lucha Underground for their well-recieved Redemption PPV, it was Austin Aries vs Fenix vs....

:miedo: Pentagon Jr (Impact Global Champion) - MI NOMBRE ES PENTAGON JUNIOR! SOY AHORA EL NUEVO CAMPEÓN DE IMPACT WRESTLING! Y POR LO TANTO ESTE ES MI ZONA! Y LO REGULARÉ CON..... CERO MIEDO!

:troll: Charlotte (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte had her dream match at Wrestlemania, and unlike with AJ and Nakamura this one delivered. Recreating an earlier Triple H entrance she'd taken part in, but now as the central figure surrounded by buff dudes, Charlotte entered like a Queen to face the Empress of Tomorrow. She and Asuka went at it in an extremely entertaining match that ended with Charlotte managing to lock in the Figure 8 while still selling the arm Asuka had spent the match working over. Asuka put over Charlotte after the match, her own winning streak ended, and Charlotte was on top of the world. Until Smackdown, when the debuting IIconics beat her down and left her open to...

:meowth: Carmella (Smackdown Women's Champion) - After an astonishing length of time holding the Money in the Bank briefcase, Carmella finally successfully cashed in and took advantage of the IIconics beating to win a world title. As she claimed herself later, she'd done it all by herself and deserved all the credit!

:tipshat: Toni Storm (World of Stardom Champion) - After months of not defending THIS title, Storm returned at Stardom Dream Slam In Nagoya where she defeated Mayu Iwatani to retain her World of Stardom title.

:myballs: Less Champions, More Dickpunching (None of the Above) - If none of these champions appeal, or Shinsuke Nakamura has opened your eyes to the glory of watching dudes get punched on the dick, this could be the None of the Above option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't include the ROH Women's Championship because what little I've heard about it is that the whole thing has been handled really badly? If anybody wants to write up something for it or argue for its inclusion, feel free.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tempted to vote for AJ's balls, but I'm going with Charlotte for no particular reason other than that she's been doing decent work lately!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Voted Kento for having the standout performance in a Champion Carnival with a lot of strong performances. He's defending against Marufuji next month (who is also challenging for the GHC 5 days later)

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Brock Lesnar and his two stupid title defenses have been a source of wonderful comedy this past month and if you don't vote for that big red man I don't even know what to say to you.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I apologize to Jerusalem for shucking my responsibilities this month. I went to see Infinity War yesterday morning and have only just left the theater.

E: I was so shocked by Thanos killing Superman that I forgot that the term is shirking my responsibilities

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 1, 2018

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't include the ROH Women's Championship because what little I've heard about it is that the whole thing has been handled really badly? If anybody wants to write up something for it or argue for its inclusion, feel free.

I am not going to argue for its inclusion considering the ROH Women's Division is pretty much an absolute joke. They could have had a potentially great matchup with Mayu Iwatani vs Tenille or Sumie (although Sumie isn't very good), but they decided to have Mayu lose to Kelly Klein in an extended squash match. If I had to hazard a guess why, I would say it's because Rossy was spotted at a ton of WWE events over the weekend as well as being backstage at them, which probably pissed ROH off.

Wouldn't be shocked if STARDOM is looking to end their partnership with ROH considering how STARDOM has gotten the short end of the stick every single time an ROH talent has been involved in their matches whether it be ROH itself or in STARDOM.

Speaking of STARDOM, I wish to nominate the Wonder of STARDOM (White Belt) title as the new main title. Toni Storm defends the World of STARDOM title (Red Belt) less often than Brock defends the Universal title, and its lost a lot of its prestige because the majority of Toni's matches end in a time limit draw. On the flipside, the Wonder of STARDOM title has been defended quite a few times, and the majority of the matches have been good to great. That combined with the upcoming defenses for Io should make it qualify for the poll next month. As she has to defend it against Kagetsu (which will most likely be an MOTYC), and possibly Momo (which will also be an MOTYC or at least an HM).

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I can vote for WALTER? I will vote for WALTER.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Also I'm not going to fight for the RoH Women's belt on this roster but the fact that the NXT Title is still not on this list despite the title being far better handled and treated with more reverence and value than either WWE title the past year (minus AJ's WWE title run) is a bit of a joke.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
TNA gonna TNA but I'm not gonna pass up a chance to vote for CERO MIEDO

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I hope the lack of NXT representation in both this thread and the good champ thread continues :colbert:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Ya'll need to watch AJPW's Championship Carnival, because Kento blew Okada's one big singles match and all his multiman matches out of the water.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Ya'll need to watch AJPW's Championship Carnival, because Kento blew Okada's one big singles match and all his multiman matches out of the water.

Ah yes the Championship Carnival!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Vaguido posted:

Also I'm not going to fight for the RoH Women's belt on this roster but the fact that the NXT Title is still not on this list despite the title being far better handled and treated with more reverence and value than either WWE title the past year (minus AJ's WWE title run) is a bit of a joke.

the NXT title isnt a world title

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
God ROH pulled a loving Tyler Black on Dalton Castle didn't they, delay delay delay and when you finally put the belt on him it's a dead fish reign.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Speaking of STARDOM, I wish to nominate the Wonder of STARDOM (White Belt) title as the new main title. Toni Storm defends the World of STARDOM title (Red Belt) less often than Brock defends the Universal title, and its lost a lot of its prestige because the majority of Toni's matches end in a time limit draw. On the flipside, the Wonder of STARDOM title has been defended quite a few times, and the majority of the matches have been good to great. That combined with the upcoming defenses for Io should make it qualify for the poll next month. As she has to defend it against Kagetsu (which will most likely be an MOTYC), and possibly Momo (which will also be an MOTYC or at least an HM).

Gonna second this. I started watching Stardom in early February and didn't realize the white belt wasn't THE belt until I saw someone gripe about how the top championship was so rarely defended.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i'm gonna be honest its really boring this dude wins every month

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

God ROH pulled a loving Tyler Black on Dalton Castle didn't they, delay delay delay and when you finally put the belt on him it's a dead fish reign.

Thought the exact same thing when Dalton finally won the belt

Should have been a big great moment, wound up being nothing and he got pushed aside on the card in no time even with the belt, because being in Bullet Club is all that matters now there

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Carmella because I will never have this opportunity again

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbin posted:

If only we could put 6 WWE titles on the list then maybe someone else would win.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

If only we could put 6 WWE titles on the list then maybe someone else would win.

If only AJ had a pair of long boys

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

indie wrestling is developmental

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Justice for Nicholas.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The global territorial system of NXT will require 5 to 7 spaces on this poll, rather soon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbin posted:

Maybe so, but you can't really blame people for largely voting for the guy who consistently delivers great matches, great storylines and enjoys great booking as well as being the top guy in the second biggest promotion in the world.

If there is somebody you think deserves it more (like WALTER for example, who scratches the "Giant Angry Baby" itch for me that Morishima used to back in the day) then I encourage posting to make people more aware of them and their matches, and maybe shift enough votes one way or the other that somebody else gets the win.

DarkstarIV posted:

People more aware of STARDOM are better placed to argue for or against this. Personally I think whatever a company claims its top belt is should almost always be the belt listed on the poll. There have been exceptions to that, though I think it was a mistake for me to have ever included the IWGP IC Title, but it does run the risk of putting the other belt into the poll and then suddenly Toni Storm loses and the top belt is getting defended regularly again and the whole thing gets shaken up again.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 1, 2018

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Ah yes the Championship Carnival!

Ah yes autocorrect! I guess I should attach "posted from my phone" next time. Thanks Massrayper!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

All of these other jabroni champs have too much miedo. Cero miedo, pendejo!!!!

https://bit.ly/2HG0o5t

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Jerusalem posted:

If there is somebody you think deserves it more (like WALTER for example, who scratches the "Giant Angry Baby" itch for me that Morishima used to back in the day) then I encourage posting to make people more aware of them and their matches, and maybe shift enough votes one way or the other that somebody else gets the win.

the last time i did that Jinder Mahal won

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baron Corbin posted:

the last time i did that Jinder Mahal won

thank you friend

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

begin talking about who will break the streak. I'll say this: The wrong person breaking it at the wrong time will be a huge waste that could permanently destroy the poll

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Baron Corbin posted:

only if you don't watch his matches

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

only if you don't watch his matches

thank you for editing out the f-word from your post

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If only the Coptic Championship lineage was still intact.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Voted WALTER because he's a big boy and has a chop based offense.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Jerusalem posted:

People more aware of STARDOM are better placed to argue for or against this. Personally I think whatever a company claims its top belt is should almost always be the belt listed on the poll. There have been exceptions to that, though I think it was a mistake for me to have ever included the IWGP IC Title, but it does run the risk of putting the other belt into the poll and then suddenly Toni Storm loses and the top belt is getting defended regularly again and the whole thing gets shaken up again.

The problem is that while STARDOM (the company) claims that the World of STARDOM title is the top one, in a lot of viewers eyes (both English and Japanese), it really isn't. Toni only shows up once every few months to defend the title in what is usually a time limit draw or incredibly underwhelming match [or both!]. She then disappears again for a few more months. Meanwhile you have Io defending the Wonder of STARDOM title drat near every week or every other week.

And as of right now, Toni isn't slated to be back in STARDOM until June at the earliest, and they are trying to get her to sign a contract extension. And if she does, you can bet on her holding that title for even longer. She's quite possibly the worst person to have ever won the World of STARDOM title. Nothing against her ring work as its entirely on booking. They had a chance last month to fix it by having Mayu beat Toni for the title, but they decided to let Toni have a clean win over Mayu, pissing off pretty much everyone.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voted pentagon, he would break the long boys imo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

The problem is that while STARDOM (the company) claims that the World of STARDOM title is the top one, in a lot of viewers eyes (both English and Japanese), it really isn't. Toni only shows up once every few months to defend the title in what is usually a time limit draw or incredibly underwhelming match [or both!]. She then disappears again for a few more months. Meanwhile you have Io defending the Wonder of STARDOM title drat near every week or every other week.

And as of right now, Toni isn't slated to be back in STARDOM until June at the earliest, and they are trying to get her to sign a contract extension. And if she does, you can bet on her holding that title for even longer. She's quite possibly the worst person to have ever won the World of STARDOM title. Nothing against her ring work as its entirely on booking. They had a chance last month to fix it by having Mayu beat Toni for the title, but they decided to let Toni have a clean win over Mayu, pissing off pretty much everyone.

By your argument the WWE Intercontinental and US titles are the 'main' ones. Brock and AJ don't defend the belts every week, but Jeff and Seth do. Part of the point of the big title is that it isn't defended every show, it's supposed to be the main attraction for the big shows.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a lot of secondary titles have been on this poll already so do what feels good to your body.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Gaz-L posted:

By your argument the WWE Intercontinental and US titles are the 'main' ones. Brock and AJ don't defend the belts every week, but Jeff and Seth do. Part of the point of the big title is that it isn't defended every show, it's supposed to be the main attraction for the big shows.

The problem is that Toni only defends the title once every 3-4 months. Her last title defense was the first one in probably 3-4 months, I think. Even Brock and AJ defend their titles more often than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Ah yes autocorrect! I guess I should attach "posted from my phone" next time. Thanks Massrayper!

Calm down there buddy it's ok to admit the only guy with a case to challenge The Long Boys just competed in a tournament that wasn't worth remembering.

• Locked thread