Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tony Phillips posted:

Since I think 90% of my dumb posts are in two threads and I have a strange crossover going on here...

I'd like to thank Trevor Bauer for inventing pinball. I just finished cleaning up and fixing a craigslist buy from a few weeks back.

Meet Gottlieb's "Playball" from April of 1971.
Also, meet a copy and paste from my post in the pinball thread.

The sad before:

It was mechanically pretty close to running from the start. Couple broken wires on the hit relay, a sticky interlock "Man on 3rd" relay, and a whole lot of cleaning and adjusting steppers, vari-targets and leaf switches later...

Freshly cleared to prevent additional flaking:

Comet retro warm white LEDs : A decent enough approximation for incandescent. gently caress the purists.

Evapo-rust is the best product in the world:

Yes, I know it's on free play, but those coin mechs were gross.

I need a something new to tinker with.

Thanks, Trevor! I hope the Astros don't steal this from me.

This is really cool but I have a question. I don't know much about pinball machines but how does this one put the ball in play? Every one I can remember has the plunger stick thing on the right side and a lane that shoots it out up top somewhere and I don't see that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tony Phillips posted:

A relatively rare technique. There is no standard plunger. You just press the right flipper button and it shoots the ball out from between the flippers.

Used it on most of their baseball themed tables (There are a lot of them) as well as football.

Huh, cool, thanks for answering!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't understand the obsession with exit velocity on hits these days. All it tells you is "hard hit ball is hit hard". What am I missing? Why are people attaching them to every big hit these days?

Average velocity for a player could be a useful measure over a long term, but I don't get popping it up over the replay of every dong hit.

hifi posted:

if your numbers go up, it means you're having more fun

Thats my basic take from it. Baseball is full of fairly meaningless stats and "that home run was hit hard" "how hard was it bob?" "exactly this hard which is really hard because we can measure that now" instead of just "uhh looked really hard!" is one of them.

I don't take it as meaning much of anything, other then maybe "there wasn't much time to react to that line drive and that guy did or didn't do it" which also is just sort of like "oh okay cool I guess".

Basically they are telling you because now they can, im sure you know this but thats pretty much it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

ego symphonic posted:

"I ain't gettin' this one boys!"

This was still so good, I need to find a video of this again, and also want outfielders or whoever on the earpiece and mic in inconsequential games always now.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I heard them say the distance while listening to another broadcast on the radio last night and was like "no drat way holy crap!".

Watching it, dang yeah thats far but I dont know about 524 feet...

I was checking the at bat app last night for news and didn't see anything confirming. News? Views?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pretty much what I'm saying, pretty far but not even the furthest of the season so far, not to mention what was claimed.

I was so excited until I got to actually see it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ichiro :( At least from reading that article from a couple of months ago, just having baseball in his life, even if it is in the office, will hopefully pump life into his veins.

Popete posted:

Votto and Goldschmidt I think have to make it on the list.

Popete posted:

Yeah I guess if you define it as a popularity contest than Votto and Goldschmidt probably don't make it.

Two of the best first basemen and players around, but, Joey "he walks too much" Votto and Paul "Wait he plays for who, the D-Backs? they are actually good this year, wait no really?" Goldschmidt.

I don't mean this as a detriment, I am agreeing with you on the "best vs popularity by casual fans" concept. I don't see how you take Goldschmidt or Harper (as originally mentioned) out of this list if you are being serious.

To be fair I would put pitchers into another category, because it's like apples and oranges, and any legit stat tracking site would agree.

But still, Ichiro :(

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

Reposting ESPN's incredible article on Ichiro's struggles. Warning: might actually make you cry.

This is the article I was unfortunately referencing.

beejay posted:

I feel like baseball has no "superstars" right now. I feel like if I walked up to some random non sports fan and said "name 3 current baseball players" they would struggle. But to be fair I think they would struggle to name more than LeBron for basketball and Tom Brady for football too.

Because of dumb media someone will say Tim Tebow and get a 2 for 1 (lol). Also media and marketing on why absolutely people will know more football and basketball players then baseball, but that is an obvious old sore subject.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

N: The Cleveland Indians are in first place in the AL Central with a .486 winning record.

V: Contract the entire AL Central.

AL Central - Everyone still (sort of) in the playoff race despite no one having a winning record, lol.

There's a long way to go but I will laugh if a team legs it out at the end and we get a sub .500 world series team.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

As there been any measurable stuff about the pitching mound visit thing? Has any team maxed out or there been any drama? Are the games shorter at all? Last night the Yankees and Red Sox were down to 2 each and I think that's the closest I've seen to it being a thing.

I have no numbers or stats, but from personal experience, I would say that the mound visits seem to be treated like such a rare commodity that they really try to avoid them now.

However this doesn't seem to speed much up because when signs get mixed up it's "He's going through the signs. Going through the signs again. One more time. Pitcher doesn't seem to be getting a sign he wants but it looks like they've settled on something. Oops that one got past him, doesn't look like they had the signs straight, but the catcher tracked it down and the runners will hold.", instead of a quick visit where the catcher says "throw a slider".

Like, that doesn't increase speed of play or cut down on game time. Maybe there's a couple less visits to calm the pitcher down so they don't "waste a visit", but even that probably takes less time then letting him just flail around up there getting his pitch count up making for longer innings.

I say all this as someone who doesn't really have a problem with game length or pace of play.

Now if they are trying to increase viewership, adding more dumb arbitrary rules won't help. Most people will absolutely not notice another mound visit or a 4 minute longer game, but they will be entirely confused by mound visit limits, pitch clocks, punishments for infringements, men on second in extras, etc. I already get asked "why did they do that?" plenty, and I don't think "not enough rules" is a problem baseball has.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear teams are grappling with signs & sign stealing a lot more now, and I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything to speed up the game much since the pitcher can still step off as much as he likes and the batter can still call for time to step out of the box and adjust his gloves/helmet/junk as much as he likes. The Sox/Yankees game yesterday is a good example: after the Yankees four run inning the Red Sox must have thought the Yankees were doing something to steal signs, because they went to multiples even with nobody on for the 9th. It seriously took the catcher like 10 seconds to signal for the pitch he wants, and Kimbrel just kinda stares in for another five or so seconds before stepping off because he has no loving clue what to throw. Pace of play!

Then again I can't remember a single change proposed by Manfred is his entire tenure so far that hasn't been useless, terrible, or both.

I know i typed a lot of words, but thought out, and your example is what I am saying as far as signs and limited mound visits but not even as bad as I have seen it.

In the end, more convoluted rules will drive more casual fans away if attracting them is the goal then shaving off 5 seconds here, 20 seconds there adding up to a few minutes a game as a "speed things up" experiment while in the end making things the same or slower and longer.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

After starting with an ironic defense, I've actually come around to genuine support for "you can choose your batting order for the 9th inning." Which wasn't floated as a serious idea but leaked as an unattributed item in a list of others.

ESPN Radio Sunday Night Baseball. I generally like the commentators. But any time it goes into extra innings all they do is complain about it, barely even calling the game anymore, and just offer up ideas on how to end the game with ties after so many innings or ending it with a home run derby or anything else they can think of because they clearly don't want to be there any more and make it hard to listen to. I get it that they don't have loyalty to a home team and can't be biased, which otherwise usually makes extra inning home broadcasts fun, but I don't want to hear about what time your flight is and pissing and moaning most of the time about how much you want this to be over when I am trying to enjoy a tight game.

My recommendation to them instead of their wacky early game ending ideas: New broadcasters after the 10th. If it's going into extras, let them call the 10th to give some standby casters an inning to get ready and bring them in for the 11th and onward. Call up the broadcaster bullpen, let the starters go. Everyone would be happier, problem solved without new baseball rules.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

My favourite part about Buck and Pat on Sportsnet is how freely they allow Buck to (rightly) complain about the buster posey and 30 second back room video review rules. All that without missing a beat on calling the game, too. Buck Martinez is the best.

I was going more with the radio guys Sciambi and Singleton but yeah!

Also as far as pitch timer goes, the times I have seen it "implemented" in minors or fall league or whatever, like it's there, but no one really pays attention and the ump just doesn't want to call it because going a second and a half over takes less time then making a call and dealing with all of that which will take way longer and be more of a pain.

It might work for something like the NBA shot clock, where it is all automated, but imagine all the time spent with umpires meeting up to decide if he pitched before the clock, extra time for appeals, punishment, resetting everything, to shave a second or two off of a pitch or two every few innings. The only way it makes sense is for notoriously slow pitchers, and at that point, just call it a wash.

Another point of "more rules does more harm then good".

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Chase Utley disagrees.

I'm 99% sure that last year when they "celebrated" his 200th HBP, they asked him later how he felt about getting hit so much and he said something along the lines of "I don't really like it, but I don't really mind it either."

That quote was from memory but he basically was saying "yeah it sucks but I've taken a lot of bases that way".

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Didn't see the details but just noticed on the ticker during the Braves postgame: A's can't bring some guy to Canada bc he has a pending gun charge?

What are they going to do? Option him down and bring someone up or just play with 24? Ideally it would be a starter that wouldn't have pitched the series anyhow but that would be pretty lucky.

I'm guessing if he has options left they go that route? But you can only do that so much and I don't know what their schedule is like.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 17, 2018

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

He pleaded guilty to pointing a gun at a delivery driver in November.

I was pretty fuckin' disappointed, he was the first and only baseball player to kneel for the anthem and I bought his shirsey and everything.

LMAO this guy pulls a gun on the delivery guy, and is quoted in that article as saying "Accidents happen". In what world is that an accident?

I mean I don't know what actually happened but I just picture him going "Aww dang I accidentally robbed the pizza guy again, but, I didn't mean to! Total accident guys!"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

ScottyJSno posted:

Vlad Jr. May = 14 games .464/.484/.857 OPS 1.341 4BB 3 Ks

At least get him to AAA.

His OBP is barely over his batting average, kid needs to work on some plate discipline.

(Yes I am joking that is an amazing slash line, why walk when you can hit almost every other AB and for power at that. Kind of reminds me of someone...)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I always like the "predestined to be a baseball player" names. Walker, Fowler, Hand, Bench, Fielder etc.

Just gonna go ahead and name my son "World Series Champion" and be done with it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

the popes toes posted:

It's complicated, but the D'backs can leave their stadium in 2022.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondbacks-get-permission-for-new-stadium/

I wonder which new collection of taxpayers will eventually get hosed, and what city they might be in?

Anybody ever see a home game there in the current stadium? What's the park like?

Chase field looks and feels practically brand new, and is really nice. Maybe there is more going down behind the scenes, but as far as I can tell the county promised to spend some money on upgrades or repairs, but not pay for everything. The D-Backs want them to pay for everything, even though that was never agreed on. So the ruling was the county only pays for some stuff, but in trade the D-Backs can hold non baseball events at the field and keep all the profits for themselves. They also get to leave in a few years if they want because they are being big babies about their state of the art retractable roof air conditioned baseball stadium, and apparently would rather pay for an entire new one then pay for a few upgrades. I guess as a big gently caress you?

The team moving to a new location would not only be stupid because the current field is fine, but also where it is located in the city. Currently it is in the middle of downtown Phoenix, next to plenty of restaurants, bars, entertainment, parking, etc, near several major freeways. It is also next to the admittedly lame light rail (because it hardly goes anywhere), but some people use it and that's still handy. It is about as central to the city as you can get and still be in a desirable area.

Being centrally located is pretty important, because the Phoenix Metro Area is really really huge. Like triple digit miles across huge. The suburbs are just more of the city, you can drive from one "city" to the next and the only difference is which side of the road you are on, it is basically all Phoenix. You can easily drive 50-60 miles in one direction and never leave the city. If they build a new ballpark on tribal reservation land as is being discussed, that will likely put it on either the far east or far west end of the city, most likely the east side. This is also a big gently caress you to the county and the state, because if they put it on tribal land, they don't have to pay them taxes. Most likely a tribe will give them free land and help them build it for a cut of profits for as long as they play there, so short sited, and they still will have to likely pay for most of it.

This would mean if you live on the other side of the city, enjoy your 80 mile drive in heavy traffic to see your local cities baseball team at a park out in the middle of no where with nothing of interest nearby. Basically moving it to the outskirts of the city, no matter where, is going to make it worse for 75% of the fans, is stupid, and they really should stay put, but I doubt it. Don't punish the fanbase over your petty squabbles D-Backs and spend a few bucks on whatever you feel you need at your current field, even though no one in your state knows what those changes are, why, or even really cares other then ownership.

E: The county dropped the ball too, and should honor their agreement, but shouldn't have made one in the first place. It's a big dumb slap fight where no matter who wins, the fans lose.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 22, 2018

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Good Dog posted:

Adding onto our conversation last week about the biggest name/superstar in baseball, ESPN released their "World Fame" top 100 ranking based on endorsements, social media following, search scores, etc: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23519390/espn-world-fame-100-2018

No baseball players.

Not to discount these people or their accomplishments, but there are badminton and table tennis players on there but not one baseball player out of 100.

I just can't get behind the method they used to compile this list. I know we were talking before about how most non fans could name a football or basketball player before a baseball player, and I agree with that. But I really have a hard time believing that more people could name multiple professional ping pong players then one MLB player.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sure it is obviously an international list, but the US, Canada, Japan, Korea, and much of Latin America are countries too.

I admittedly couldn't name a single cricket player, but a bunch of them made the list, while no Trout, Kershaw, Ohtani, Judge, Stanton, Verlander, Altuve, Harper, Colon, Goldschmidt, Voto, Pujols, Scherzer, Betts, I could go on, etc.

I think everyone here can agree that baseball players don't get as much recognition as athletes from other sports, but I maintain that the metrics they used to make that list resulted in a pretty inaccurate top 100 even globaly. I didn't even know that women's badminton was a thing that anyone followed until this, but I am betting most of the world knows "some people like baseball".

I'm not even really mad or anything, its just a head scratcher shake your head sort of thing.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Onion? I like diced onion and deli mustard on my dog.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

*Solemnly nodding and signing the "Loose Buttholes ONLY" paper with the same sense of purpose and conviction that the founding fathers had when signing the Declaration of Independence.*

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

simble posted:

D-backs have lost 15 of 17, squandering their great start. The pitching is there but the offense is absolutely anemic. :smithicide:

I think it's 14 of 16 as of now unless I am mistaken, but maybe you somehow know they are going to lose the upcoming Sunday day game so this will probably be right soon enough.

If this was 2-4 years ago I would just shrug and figure business as usual, but after having a good year last year and a great April this year it is pretty frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

simble posted:

You’re right. I lifted it off of fox sports Facebook page I think. Still, terrible. Maybe Shelby Miller’s return is just the spark they need to get back on track??? :shrug:

I wish this were the case, but despite half the pitching roster on the DL, it's the lack of bats and offense hurting the D-Backs the most.

Anyhow you inadvertently called it, and the day game loss today put the record where you thought it was lol. Go figure!

• Locked thread