Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Cubs have now won five in a row while scoring 3 or less runs per game. They're the first Cubs team ever to do that, and the first team period since the 2011 Brewers. If they pulled it off again today for six wins, they'd be the first team since the dead ball era to do it, and if they by some miracle then pulled it off the day after tomorrow as well they'd be the first baseball team ever to win seven in a row while scoring 3 or less in each game.

V: I'm really, really glad Cubs pitching decided now was the time to remember how to pitch, because the bats have been cold as gently caress and there's an uncomfortably close flip-side where the Cub could have easily lost the last five in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/991351183213293568?s=20

V: Dexter Fowler is the best and I miss him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you'll forgive me my nerdy as gently caress analogy, Bauer is basically the perfect example of why Wisdom and Intelligence are separate stats.

Also I'm at work and lazy but McCullers responded by telling Bauer jealousy isn't a good look on him, and Bauer doubled down with something like "Nah man not jealous, I actually respect what you guys are doing, just annoyed MLB is selectively enforcing the rules." :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/991347749235888128?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Uh, my spin rate is a$$, if you please. This is a Christian forum.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just keep moving those goalposts Bauer, you'll own them eventually.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Eno has already written about this saga on the Athletic, quick turnaround!

https://theathletic.com/337974/2018...ms-to-think-so/

I love how the very first comment points out that if the Astros are using pinetar then they should really give some to the bullpen because they suck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Morton is the first pitcher in history to increase his velocity, cheating confirmed.

This is cool and good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It is really loving surreal watching Kershaw not only throw 88, but completely miss his spot such that a call for down and in ends up belt high right over the middle.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

General Dog posted:

What was that site a few years ago where you could look up any pitcher in MLB and there would be gifs of their full repertoire of pitches? Is that still around?

That it is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well that's loving depressing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was last year's version but I had a SP on the Reds who won RoTY, CY-2, lead the league in ERA, WHIP, and was I think third or fourth in K's. Come spring training he gets called into Bryan Price's office and told he's being moved to the pen. RTTS emulates terrible organizations perfectly, imo.

Also apparently RTTS managers don't understand how to double switch and invariably after recording the last out in the 8th I'm always pulled for a PH even though there's voice over of Vasgersian saying I'm in for the four out save.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

The DH is the hot dog sandwich of baseball players.

I'm more of a structural neutral ingredient purist kind of guy, but to each their own.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/991866378507378688

:eyepop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I cannot stop watching it. I'm just playing the clip over and over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

The DH is the hot dog sandwich of baseball players.

https://twitter.com/KleinschmidtJD/status/991868590755201024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reposting ESPN's incredible article on Ichiro's struggles. Warning: might actually make you cry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean the lack of recognizable superstars is also a product of baseball's culture encouraging players to be a bland as possible because it means they "play the game the right way" and anybody who actually tries to have fun or a personality gets thrown at and complained about and told that they're a problem. Meanwhile half of NBA's entire thing is that it's basically the WWE with players getting into feuds and mugging for the camera and talking poo poo to reporters about other guys.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, yeah, NBA has more character but basketball is also more of a star vehicle than baseball. A player like Lebron can take over a game and be the star for hours. Harper can hit 3 HRs and there's still gonna be 30-60 minutes between them where he's largely MIA. A dominant pitcher gets more TV time but he still gets a dealing performance broken up by innings and then doesn't show up again for almost a week. Lebron can own a series and be front and center mugging to the cameras and being a star the whole time.

Its also why quarterback become stars and why NHL players don't.

This is true, and there's also the problem that there really isn't an NBA comp to a guy going 0-4. If you go to a Cavs game you're going to see LeBron dominate, even if he doesn't have some insane 40 point night. Meanwhile If you go to an Angels game specifically to see Trout, it's entirely possible he'll go 0-4 and only make two routine can of corn catches in CF.

That MLB's best player has a burning passion for the weather channel doesn't really help that, though. Not to dunk on Trout too much - I'd be just as goddamn boring if I were a sports star - but the problem of generating recognizable superstars in a game where's already hard to stand out by the very nature of the game is only exacerbated by a culture that encourages you to express no individuality or personality whatsoever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
1 game per week Last week of April-September (23 Games)
16 Man roster
8 position players + 4 backups (2 IF, 2 OF)
4 pitchers (1 SP, 3 RP)
Instead of extra innings, ties are broken by a mini HR derby, each team gets to select their representative. The home plate umpire pitches to both.
Same playoff structure (6 division winners + 2 WC winners) except it's NFL-style single elimination

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:eyepop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kensei posted:

Does anyone have the Ichiro walk off of Mo that was cut with the movie 2012?

I used to have it favorited but it's gone from my list now, so it either got taken down or made private.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'll be genuinely curious to see if he can bounce back with another team or if his star has well and truly fallen. My guess is the latter, but who knows.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Somebody is going to pick him up for sure. His pre-2016 numbers were unreal - like Scherzer/Kershaw/Kluber unreal - and there are always teams looking to roll the dice on reclamation projects. That said between the TJS, TOS, and his own reported lack of dedication to his training (assuming said reports are true which, based on the partying and showing up late to games poo poo, it probably is) I doubt he's ever going to get back to even a fraction of what he was.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Is there a real post-TOS success story? Jaime Garcia is still chugging along post-TOS, but not as effectively as he once did.

Little too early to know if he'll stick but Tyson Ross seems to be coming back well. The difference between him and Harvey though is that Ross got a LOT more time to recover and rebuild himself, whereas Harvey was rushed back because Mets gonna Met. It's also worth pointing out that Harvey threw more innings in his first season back from TJS than any other pitcher ever had before which probably didn't help with his health issues.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I remember hearing the same thing about some of the college pitchers the Cubs drafted last year, particularly Lange. Is it normal for universities to absolutely run their starters into the ground?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Der Meister posted:

So, uh, Walker Buehler seems good.

I have no data to back this up so this is entirely ~the eye test~ but I find it interesting that Buehler is doing so well when all of his breaking pitches are poo poo and his entire gimmick is that his fastball is 98mph. Don't get me wrong, a 98mph fastball is a pretty good gimmick to have but normally dudes need a little bit more to get by than one good pitch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I'm drunk as gently caress and still mad about the cubs so thank you for posting this because it's :unsmith: as hell and I needed it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That Molina injury is scary as gently caress. A hematoma in my groin that requires immediate emergency surgery has been added to the list of things I never want to experience in my life. :stonk:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

isn't biceps tendinitis also one of those that quickly becomes shredded UCL?

Considering it's the Dodgers "bicep tendinitis" probably means "Kershaw's looked off and we're not playing well so let's get him some rest." Hill just complained about the Dodger's DL'ing him for no reason last night and it's been their thing since the 10 day DL was introduced.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Omg some dude is fanboying out on him, just asked for a pic together

A new level of abject lameness has been discovered, and it's the Hample fanboy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Contract the Cubs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao thank gently caress.

Not exactly "excited" for Mazzoni but dude has a 1.9% walk rate in AAA at the moment and if Cubs pitchers walk one more goddamn guy to lead off an inning I might just pick up my monitor and hurl it out the window.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Darvish to the DL, call up to be determined

https://twitter.com/BruceMiles2112/status/993639366198202368

"parainfluenza virus" is an odd way to spell "a nice long stint with the pitching coaches to find out why he sucks so much" but w/e.

Montgomery won't be ready for a spot start by tomorrow, so it's either Butler coming off the DL, or somebody coming up from AAA. Probably Tseng, but I'm hoping it's Alzolay.

e. Tseng was supposed to start tonight but has been scratched, so presumably it'll be him.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 8, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I think the Cubs will survive the $126m to Yu.

Also I've been bagging on him but honestly I'm pretty sure Darvish will turn it around. It's not like he's lost velo or movement, he's just clearly struggling with his mechanics and probably uncomfortable with a new club. Lester was awful when he first came to the Cubs too, he'll get over it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

Fernando Romero is good

I'm half drunk and also dyslexic as gently caress and read this post as "Fernando Rodney is good" and was really, really confused for a good couple of seconds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly my favorite part of that .gif will forever be the umpire tossing the batter even though the game is already over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gimenez has an opt out if he's not on the major league roster by June 1st, so my guess is he'll be called up some point before then. The problem is that Caratini is proving that he can hit and catch at the major league level, and he destroyed AAA last year so there's not a whole lot for him to gain from going back down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh for fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here let's have some levity: https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/993661841653067777

• Locked thread