Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

He throws mid to upper 90s and then has a sick nasty slider at low to mid 80s. He's really good at throwing hitters off balance moving the ball around and changing speeds.

Also meth.

Also he works really fast. Like 5 seconds between pitches fast at times and it really fucks with the hitters focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't understand the obsession with exit velocity on hits these days. All it tells you is "hard hit ball is hit hard". What am I missing? Why are people attaching them to every big hit these days?

Average velocity for a player could be a useful measure over a long term, but I don't get popping it up over the replay of every dong hit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My RTTS character gets called up for the playoffs, is declared the world series MVP, and now is just sitting on the bench in the next season. Mike Matheny is an idiot even in virtual reality.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hand Row posted:

They make less appearances. Since there's no defined roles, they aren't forced to always throw out a guy 3 close games in a row just because he is "8th inning guy." Albers and Hader may cover 3 innings one game, then Barnes and Jeffress handle the next day. And the starter will usually go 6 innings so they just have to split 3 between them. Plus not counting blowouts where you use your lesser guys.

So if anything they are trying to keep their relievers fresher and more effective by doing this.

Yeah it's been impressive. Helps compensate for how Davies always gets ti ti in the 5th inning too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Lou's is the best deep dish of the big Chicago chains (others being Giordano's, Gino's East, Pizano's, etc.) But I agree with Popete and Bird in a Blender that Pequod's is the best deep dish in the city. And yes, order a whole pie and eat it at the restaurant. The sooner you eat it out of the oven, the better.

In non-pizza-chat, the Cubs have only scored 16 total runs in their past 8 games, but by a miracle of pitching, have gone 5-3 in that stretch. :psyduck:

The offense needs to figure their poo poo out soon.

One of my wife's sorority sisters is from Chicago and when we went to visit she was all "I'm gonna take you to a great local place. It's kinda a hidden local secret!" she took us to bucca di beppo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

I can't see the name Buca di Bepo and not laugh, it's like what someone who doesn't speak Italian would say well doing a racist imitation.

Yes. Then we ordered a "family portion" of chicken parm to share and it was 2 4oz cutlets with no pasta. What a loving whack restaurant. If I'm ever back in Chicago I'm a need the sas mlb crew to show my wife and I a good time. I promise not to punch any Brewers haters.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, last night the Brewers pitching used all those runs they were saving up, huh? It's a mercy I was on the road and had to watch the condensed game in bed

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's a weird feeling to enjoy watching a brewers pitcher work, but Josh Hader is a gem and it's nice to see Counsell using him (and the rest of the pen) effectively and intelligently.

I don't feel pessimistic about this team at all for once. All our best pitchers are on the dl right now and we're still doing great.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kirios posted:

There's still talk of making Hader a starter long term but I just don't see how you could do that when he's basically Andrew Miller 2.0. That's a special type of player and you cannot move him from that spot.

Yeah, I think he's going to be in the pen until his fastball loses enough that he has to pick up a 3rd and 4th pitch. And that's not a bad thing. Being able to pull a starter as soon as he starts to struggle and being confident your bullpen will cover you is a good thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Thinking about the Machado/Baez stuff, it seems more and more likely that this was just a ruse by Epstein to drive up the price on Machado so that the Cardinals/Brewers would have to give up something big if they really want him. Theo "offering" Baez/Montgomery is probably just a rumor that the Cubs front office wants to spread without it ever actually being serious.

I'm not sure what the Brewers need with Machado. They're pretty happy with Shaw at 3rd and Arcia at short, both of whom are cheaper than a big name like Machado. If that was the cubs thinking it's not very clever. The Brewers primary need is 2b and starting pitching, and maybe some more depth at catcher given Bandy is so inconsistent at the plate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They should trade for Scooter Gennett.

Lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

I'm not saying it actually will drive up the price on Machado but it seems more likely than an actual legit deal from Theo.

Also the Brewers stand to make a significant upgrade with Machado over Arcia. Idk if they'll actually do it but it makes a lot more sense for Milwauke than the Cubs replacing Baez who is already playing well.

I'm not sure I agree, at least not in the holistic sense. Yes if you just slotted him in arcias spot right now it might add a win or two, but only this year. Long term, Arcia has shown he can grow and improve his batting approach with regular playing time. Last year he just kept getting better as the season progressed, and his range and defense are fantastic in the field. Machado taking his spot would probably lead to Arcia regressing as he misses playing time and I'd rather let him keep developing than do a silly win now rental move so early in the window.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I watch on PS4 and never get any of those commercials. I just get one for hats and a couple featuring buster posey and his wife pitching satellite tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Brewers brain: yeah we're in first place by several games, but like only because the other teams had so many postponements.

• Locked thread