Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

His wife sent him a prospective date for the c-section and he said they play the Cubs that day so could they do it a different day and he or she threw in the thing about seeing Rizzo as a joke. It's not like he skipped the birth or something. Also it's like 2 months from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sorry I actually can't stand all the social media stuff and how people use it. Like this seems like it was engineered to "go viral" or some annoying thing when it's really pretty much a non-story.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I feel like baseball has no "superstars" right now. I feel like if I walked up to some random non sports fan and said "name 3 current baseball players" they would struggle. But to be fair I think they would struggle to name more than LeBron for basketball and Tom Brady for football too.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I guess what I think of in terms of superstars is the mid-late 80's. I think anyone would know Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Dan Marino, Nolan Ryan, Darryl Strawberry, Roger Clemens, most people knew who Wayne Gretzky was.

Maybe I'm just looking back with rose-tinted glasses as a sports-obsessed kid back then.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Where'd you grow up, too? I imagine that if you live in a major metro you learn a ton about every major sport just by osmosis walking by newsstands. I know it was that case for me.

The middle of nowhere Indiana, haha, but at the same time I was in a unique position in a way. Because we had no MLB team and no NFL team until the Colts moved in, there was a lot of opportunity to latch onto random stuff. Larry Bird played college ball in Indiana so he had a following, and everyone knew the Celtics and Lakers anyway. My family was from Chicago so I absorbed the Cubs fandom.

I feel like sports is easier to follow nowadays but it just doesn't seem as pervasive as it used to be, and individuals don't seem to get as much exposure.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

I would say it's not as pervasive because of everything else going on with TV. There is way more options to watch than 25 years ago. That and how much sports has moved to cable. Growing up, nearly every Cubs game was on WGN. Now you get maybe one game a week on WGN. Same for all other sports, there just weren't as many cable sports channels. When you grew up with like 12 channels total, it meant way more people watching the game.

This is a very good point. When the only basketball you could see was the saturday game on NBC or whatever they were going to have Lakers vs Celtics and so forth. I can also blame the Cardinals fandom in that area on the fact that WGN wasn't over the air there but on a good night you could get channel 55 or whatever it was out of Decatur showing the Cardinals.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Why, the sheer disrespect for the WORLD CHAMPIONS

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

jit bull transpile posted:

One of my wife's sorority sisters is from Chicago and when we went to visit she was all "I'm gonna take you to a great local place. It's kinda a hidden local secret!" she took us to bucca di beppo.

What in God’s name

Actually that reminds me of a time I went to Chicago with some people and liked this girl from the area so I pretended like I didn’t know the city. She said we wouldn’t do any touristy stuff and then we went to navy pier.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pujols was one of those players you grow to irrationally hate as a kid, based purely on his ability to make your pitchers look like chumps.

I despised the Cardinals growing up.

Well this is it, the post that makes me feel really old

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I said it a while back and I stand by it: there is no "household name" player in baseball right now. People who don't follow baseball have no idea who these guys are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

People are panicking as they see the Cubs window closing and the cupboards being bare. Thank goodness we won one. There is another possible window if we pick up a huge free agent in the next couple years maybe.

• Locked thread