Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
in my current OOTP game, Joey Gallo wound up with 700+ HRs, a career OPS of ~.850, a career average of ~.220, and well over 3000 career strikeouts

sometimes evil wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
can you all even imagine what it was like when a BLACK GUY showed up to play? imagine that poo poo with skip bayless or that other idiot chiming in with hot takes

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my spin rate is rear end too

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so here's a semi-serious question: is there any chance the dodgers dangle kershaw if their season really does go fart? i am assuming he'll opt out, and he'd bring a fortune in Baseball Commodities back if they do indeed decide to walk away from the wreckage

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is Verlander going to have an RJ-esque late 30s? he seems like a good bet for that kind of thing

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

This is going to be an extremely odd, out of the blue kind of question, but for anyone who is playing OOTP Baseball 19--

Has anyone experimented with bringing a player from an earlier era into modern times, like having 1921 Babe Ruth play for the 2018 Yankees? If so, how does the game deal with it? I remember in older versions they had some setting or slider specifically for this, but it didn't seem to work quite right and the player would often put up stats that were a lot like his stats from the 30s or 50s or whatever, with little regard for era change.

The game uses hard player ratings that are era-independent (ie, hitters, have a baseline expected OPS). If you play the player in another era, their expected OPS gets adjusted based on that era's global stats.

What it DOESNT do (unfortunately, because this would be awesome) is simulate how Babe Ruth would actually hit against Clayton Kershaw. It takes Babe Ruth's expected stats from the 20s-30s and adjusts them for 2018.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo joe posnaski got fat

the KC star really put some bad sports journalists out there, didnt they

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

He was always fat.

granted i probably haven't looked at a pic of him since like 1999 but in my head he's a skinny nerd with glasses not a fat nerd with glasses

that being said it'd be really drat interesting if a guy like markakis ever got to 3000 hits. i'd like to think it would result in old baseball writers resorting to fisticuffs

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 7, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

I think it says something that I'm the only Royals fan who even noted he is doing well so far

ahem

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
kelvin herrera has faced 50 batters without a walk, that's like halfway to kenley jansen

what is the record for most batters faced consecutively without a walk?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is "assault on a woman" a distinct crime in Canada?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
in a less well reported counterweight to Jim Paxton, behold dylan bundy's record setting ineptitude

i was listening to the game on the radio and just about everyone was confused by what was going on

not to be outdone, blaine boyer is probably the worst MLB pitcher I've ever seen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Armitage posted:

Of course, but Gwynn was really, really difficult to strike out, and that’s what I admire most about him.

He didn’t walk a heck of a lot, though, but he was not afraid to steal from time to time.

I wonder how a lineup that’s mainly contact and speed based would do in 2018 MLB?

the royals won a series

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Judge looks like a golem or something and it’s actually pretty creepy. It would legit be unsettling to be in the room with him.

Stanton’s extreme closed stance and his short, ugly, powerful swing remind one of an automaton designed totally without concern for aesthetic value. Efficient and hideous.

So yeah Yankees fans, have fun with your great team and your titanic, ugly freaks I guess.

post of the year

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
a Serious Question: are messi and ronaldo more popular in the US than any baseball player?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Baseball in America is a sport for rich white boys.

It's probably pretty difficult to be talented at it as a prep player without spending a ton of money on travel ball and camps. Whereas football and basketball have a ton of rags to riches stories, you're not going to find that in born and bred American baseball players now.

It is the same way in soccer too...youth soccer is much more of a vanity project for wealthy parents than a genuine attempt to get kids to play and enjoy sports and hopefully identify and develop the talented ones into something useful.

It is both unfortunate and annoying as gently caress.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man, I thought the White Sox were gonna be alright this year.

the White Sox are not alright, man

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i really do not understand why you all are 1) shocked that lots of pro athletes are republican/conservative/trumpists and 2) that you actually give a poo poo

also glad I drafted cano on both my fantasy teasm

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so I have a doctor's appointment at the sports complex today at 11, and the royals and rays have a matinee game at 1. the weather here is perfect and tickets in the lower bowl are about $10

the royals and rays are so bad and generally uninteresting that i'm seriously considering not going

am i bad baseball fan?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Denny matthews was leaving the office as I was signing in, that was cool

I recognized his voice from around the corner

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went to the game

royals bad, weather good

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what happened to urias? I got to see him in okc once and he owned

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Tore the anterior capsule of his pitching shoulder, needed surgery, still isn't throwing off a mound.

TNSTAAPP

jfc

...Will he be ok

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked this article about making up a new catcher stat for throwing out baserunners.

I cannot BELIEVE that these guys can hit 90mph. Like, that has to be the strongest arm in baseball, right? Hitting 90 from your knees?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GalacticAcid posted:

My annual baseball trip is decided. I'm going to St Louis in September to see the Dodgers (lol) play at Busch Stadium.

Any good stadium / surrounding area tips are welcome.

Skip cardinals, see blues

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a player who got better, later, than Joe Morgan?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also in reading about the big red machine I've decided that baseball needs a player like Pete Rose

he was like the exact opposite of three outcomes baseball

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also are there 3 Better Baseball Names in History than Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Johnny bench?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
on the same team though

and none of that 1880s wacky nickname bullshit either

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that's like...un pitch framing. why did the catcher move his glove so far inside?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is kind of dumb, for most of modern sports history the most popular athlete in America was a baseball player.

or boxer, I guess. That doesn't bode well.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Neifi Perez had 585 PAs of 44 OPS+ in 2002!

hmm yeah talk dirty to me

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

runoverbobby posted:

It's definitely skewed by India and China having Lots Of People.

Of the cricketers, Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni are undoubtedly superstars within India and very well-known within cricket playing nations, and Ashwin is borderline, but Sharma, Raina, Gautam Gambhir, and Yuvraj Singh piggyback on being athletes who play the only sport in a hugely populated region. H Singh, Shikhar Dhawan aren't even good!

AB de Villiers is the best player on the list, but I'm surprised he made it and there are no England players.

gently caress you there's no way ashwin is borderline and H Singh is elite

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
kris medlen was loving filthy when all of his arm ligaments were intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
stat: last year not one of kershaws over 1100 fastballs was below 90

tonight they all were