Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

OK can someone break down why this Josh Hader guy kicks so much rear end? Does he throw 105 mph? A slider with 5 feet of break? Disappearing splitfinger? Is it his intimidating arm tattoos? Gimme the deets, TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Can we all just agree to forget that Ichiro hung around for like five years as a sub-replacement-level player, and just induct him into the Hall in January? Or heck, tomorrow?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Verlander has re-established himself as an ace, no? He's right there in the top tier. Arenado and Machado are superstars by any reasonable definition.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Joe Posnanski on the player who has a surprisingly good chance to reach 3000 hits despite never making an All-Star Game

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Speaking of the Yankees and Red Sox, check this out:

Giancarlo Stanton: .227/.313/.455

JD Martinez: .349/.396/.619

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/993538802483449856

Not sure this qualifies as good news... but better news than I expected.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees just buzzsaw'd 3 of the best 5 teams in the AL with Stanton doing pretty much nothing. He'll start hitting at some point.

Actually last year was a huge outlier, Stanton's back to his usual 25 HR/year self, and the Giants dodged a bullet when he rejected us. Also, those grapes hanging from that tree? They were sour anyway.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Yeah I just saw that about Harvey. In theory it doesn't seem that crazy to take on ~500k of his contract and stash him in the minors to work on poo poo. You never know. Only problem is he's a FA at the end of the season. He'd have to figure things out real quick to be useful.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man that Harvey trade would be huge news if baseball players never got injured. Flamethrowing ace traded for star catcher with 30 HR power? Everybody would be going nuts.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Why are there games on Facebook now? Like Youtube or Netflix or that new ESPN+ service, ok, that would make some sense, but... Facebook???

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants sweep the Braves, get swept by the Phils.

Mission: .500 til Bumgarner gets back is still on track, except now its more like, play .500 ball til Bum, Cueto, Panik, and Mac are healthy...

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Alex Reyes has started his minor league rehab and uh, it's going well so far

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/996199341625720832

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ugh, there's gonna be some piping hot takes today, from Yankee fans who're still mad a star player left New York in free agency instead of the other way around.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

A Man and his dog posted:

Lol that contract and results.

Garbage.

lol

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I really thought you couldn't serve a suspension while on the DL. Didn't Yuli Gurriel have to wait til he was activated to serve his 5 games?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Melky Cabrera was hitting .346 in loving August and had people coming to the park in milkman costumes. Like you can't make that poo poo up.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

maybe don't write a guy off after ten games (in which he hit a couple home runs)? IDK

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

brandon crawford has 13 hits in the past week, raising his avg. from .240 to .290

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Belt might be having the season that Giants fans have been daydreaming about since he came up. Don't get me wrong he's always been a good hitter, and he'd hit 30 HR every year in any other park, but if he's finally fully tapped into his power then watch out.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

N: Giants win today and remain at .500

V: Giants win today and are only two games out of first place in the NL West.

Bumgarner starts a rehab assignment next week.
Panik is swinging a bat again.
Mac has two dingers in two rehab games, should rejoin the team on the road trip.
Belt dingered again, is now hitting .313/.413/.594

If this team ever gets healthy it could be pretty good.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

What's the record for 100-loss teams in the same division? Because the AL Central is looking pretty good for at least 3.

Seems unlikely because teams play so many division games. The bad teams all get to play each other 20 times. Same reason you won't see multiple 100 game winners in the same division.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

They are not contending by 2022

Lol come on that's four years from now. The entire Astros rebuild took four years.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants start a tough road trip tonight. Two games in Houston against Cole and Verlander, then Chicago, then Colorado. Rockies offense is down this year but it's Coors Field. Bad things happen to Giants pitchers in that ballpark.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

btw the DBacks have lost 11 of 12 and the Rockies are in first place now

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

gently caress Jeff Francouer.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cricket seems cool except for the part where they jog back and forth between two bases like 20 feet apart. That's kinda lame tbh.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trout has a legit shot at 40/40. Homered and stole a base today and is on pace for ~48 HR and 39 SB.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/999692059702382592

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Is this confirmed yet? I'm still desperately hoping it is not true

Still waiting on the MRI results I think

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Buxton is in the lineup today, guess he didnt scramble his brains running into that wall

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bumgarner struck out 8 of 12 batters in his first rehab start and is lobbying the team to let him make his next start in the majors. If so he'd start on Friday.

We miss you, angry redneck man.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Der Meister posted:

Struggling to understand how Acuña didn’t tear something on that injury. Wow.

IIRC everyone thought Harper blew up his knee when he hyperextended it too. Maybe that type of injury can look worse than it really is. Every injury is different but Bryce missed 6 weeks with his.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

99% of baseball players would have done exactly what Rizzo did. But I think the umps botched it. It sets up Rizzo for stupid beanballs now unfortunately. Baseball is horrible at managing player safety.

I've seen plenty of forceout plays at the plate this year and I didn't see any takeout slides like that. Every other time the runner just slid to the plate like the rules say. There may have have been other dirty slides at home plate but I can't recall any.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

As far as I can tell, Facebook gets one game a week, on Wednesday afternoon, but they haven't released a full schedule, so just check every week if your team drew the short straw. Giants already had one FB game so hopefully we've fulfilled our quota for awhile.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

uhhhhhhhhhhh seriously?

quote:

Alex Reyes was removed from Wednesday's game against the Brewers with an apparent injury.

Advice: Reyes was making his season debut after a long recovery from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. He looked dominant in the first inning but struggled with his control in the second and his velocity dipped to a concerning degree in the ensuing frames. The 23-year-old right-hander was lifted after throwing 73 pitches over four scoreless innings. There should be an update soon from Miller Park in Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Reyes on the 10-day with a lat strain lolcards

https://twitter.com/hochman/status/1002277300228980736

• Locked thread