Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I love the pitch and bat games. You should get one of them imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I know that when you get TJS sometimes you come back throwing a little faster. Does that mean if you keep getting TJS you’ll hit 100 from all the antiinflammatory steroids?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Can they tell us if a ball was too high to be a home run yet?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think we can safely say Vlad Jr. inherited Vlad’s power. I just wish he didn’t wear gloves, too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The only really hatable Yankee is Chapman. The team is all 25 year olds.

Anyone who plays for the Yankees is automatically evil, sorry.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Colomé sucked for a month and now he’s good, I guess. Closers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I remember a player for the Giants getting one of those letters a while back. He just got an orange sharpie and drew orange on 51% of his cleats. MLB never followed up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Huh, I had no idea that Milwaukee and Chicago were that close to each other

If a rainout in Washington means we miss Scherzer I’m not gonna complain that loud

Not close enough to save Dr. Greene’s marriage :rip:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

Matt Stairs is pound-for-pound the greatest baseball player of our generation

Bartolo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bewbies posted:

so I have a doctor's appointment at the sports complex today at 11, and the royals and rays have a matinee game at 1. the weather here is perfect and tickets in the lower bowl are about $10

the royals and rays are so bad and generally uninteresting that i'm seriously considering not going

am i bad baseball fan?

Watch the Rays you jerk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Popete posted:

If you genuinely think guys are looking to regularly get hit by 90+ MPH fastballs then you're delusional. That's not really a sustainable career choice.

It's something you accept happens but Bryant clearly wasn't looking to get hit in the face by a fastball a month ago. He was out for 10 days despite being cleared of concussion and any serious injury.

Craig “The Big HBP” Biggio

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Rays are good again! The Rays are good ag—

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/997512847998402560

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Poque posted:

I don't hate this but it's extremely weird. Should be fun to see

I know “start game with a good reliever, then put in the starter” is a theory people have suggested for a while. Might as well give it a shot when they have like 2 starters and a good bullpen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Popete posted:

What in the world? Even if they had to cut his toe off I'd assume he'd still be able to play this year at some point.

How can if be that messed up?

The New York Mets.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bewbies posted:

Also are there 3 Better Baseball Names in History than Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Johnny bench?

Johnny Field baby, clearly better than Johnny Bench.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

N: Sergio Romo started today and threw a 1-2-3 inning. Yarbrough, the actual SP, went 6.1 innings with 4 hits and 1 ER.

N: The Rays have announced that tomorrow's starter will be Sergio Romo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

algebra testes posted:

So the idea is that the starter sees the top of the order one last time? Thats kinda genius if you ask me.

It’s been a theory for a while but nobody’s put it into use until now since, uh, teams generally have enough starters for a rotation.

If a starter loses effectiveness due to fatigue during a game and due to opposing hitters getting multiple PAs against him, why not start the game off with a proven reliever (insert 2018 Romo joke here) and then put the starter in? Assuming the reliever is effective, the top of the order (who get the most PAs) will see the starter one fewer time and the starter will be more effective in the late innings. I mean, the team was expected to be a disaster so why not try some unconventional strats.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The shambling corpse of Sergio Romo has thrown 2.1 innings in the last 2 days with 5 strikeouts. :lol: the Angels just can’t not whiff against his slider somehow.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

BUSH LEAGUE, SPRING TRAINING STUFF, RESPECT THE GAME etc.

counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/998299999585714176

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Starting Sergio Romo makes sense because he turned into complete garbage as a reliever

He’s old and broken and has like an 86mph fastball now but his slider is still unhittable, assuming it’s anywhere near the strike zone. His walk rate shot up but he still has a 12 K/9 this season :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

iKickDogs posted:

Jose Reyes is trending in New York. It's because he's very bad at baseball. His OPS+ is 3.

When asked if he was going to continue to play Reyes, Mickey Callaway took a roundabout shot at the front office: "I think we have to play the players we have."

The Mets are a garbage barge again. I missed that.

Has anyone had an OPS+ that low over a season as a regular starter since Nick Punto?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Rays, who just lost Faria to an oblique strain, are going to have opening pitchers for all 3 games of the upcoming O’s series lol

The new rotation is Romo/Stanek/Romo, this team rules

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Timby posted:

Edit:

Okay, I know it's the O's, but is Cash just trying to out-Maddon Maddon? Relievers starting all three games seems insane.

They’ve lost a whole drat rotation already this year to injury. The best they can do is start a reliever then throw in a long man, I guess.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Im bummed I liked Span and I was not ready to be hurt again so soon.

Otoh all the Rays writers on twitter seem to think it will be more fun when they promote even more prospects to replace Colome and Span so okay.

They have some good pitchers in AAA and I *guess* they just slot Gomez back into the outfield when he comes off the DL. Gomez/Mallex/Field seems... okay. Colome was pretty trash, I’m going to miss Span.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I will provide mediocre oral sex to the first front office executive who gives the Braves a decent middle reliever

We have this Johnny Venters*. Give us an outfielder who can hit above .200.

*sold as-is, no warranty, no returns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

my god, if Acuna ends up alright, no biggie after that, just lmao wtf

Remember when it looked like Doug Mientkiewicz broke his neck on Mike Lowell’s thigh but ended up with a concussion and a neck sprain instead of, like, being dead?

• Locked thread