Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's May, the first day of which is May Day, so let's celebrate our fellow workers, comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best op ever.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Aunt May Day

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
April Showers did not bring May flowers.

Worst May ever!

0/10

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Spidergirl AKA May Parker is also known as Mayday. That is my contribution to this thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Spidergirl AKA May Parker is also known as Mayday. That is my contribution to this thread.

Annie now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Annie now.

Different Spider-girl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Different Spider-girl.

May never existed as far as Marvel is now concerned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

May never existed as far as Marvel is now concerned.

She lived in an alternate future, her existence was always in question.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

She lived in an alternate future, her existence was always in question.

Well if ya wanna get technical.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well if ya wanna get technical.

I remember when Ben Reilly didn't exist as far as Marvel is concerned, and now that rear end in a top hat is (kinda) back. None of it matters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't Spidergirl have like a 100 issue run?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Didn't Spidergirl have like a 100 issue run?

Like 130 across two volumes. MC2 was a whole thing for years.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It was kept alive by middle-aged men pretending to be 12-year-old girls.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't Spider-Girl basically the only decent book from MC2?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they hadn't killed Spider-Man's daughter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"Decent."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was the only successful one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Like 130 across two volumes. MC2 was a whole thing for years.

I think she still has had the longest consecutive run for a Marvel superheroine. It really was the little book that could. Although that being said, it does definitely show through that it was produced by some (albeit well-meaning) old white guys. I'm still kind of mad how the character was squandered, but with stuff like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel & Renew Your Vows coming out now, there's plenty new (and I must admit better) characters & series out there.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It was kept alive by middle-aged men pretending to be 12-year-old girls.
Apparently it did quite well in the digest market to get new readers in (relatively speaking).

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wish they hadn't killed Spider-Man's daughter.
:same:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

No, because they also had one about a silver Juggernaut who tied a flannel shirt around his big Juggernaut waist and sported a grimy little goatee, which, for 1999, is such peak DeFalco that I can't believe he didn't blink out of existence, his service to the universe having been rendered in full.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
J2 was a bad comic but it wasn't the worst MC2 book I'm looking at you WILD THING.

Spider-Girl was really something in that it was a very long follow up to the Clone Saga, something everyone was supposed to hate with a passion.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just got Charles Soule's novel in the mail. It's weird reading long prose from people when you're used to just spending 5-10 minutes on their stories.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just got Charles Soule's novel in the mail. It's weird reading long prose from people when you're used to just spending 5-10 minutes on their stories.

Mike Carey and Greg Rucka are also really good prose authors.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

Mike Carey and Greg Rucka are also really good prose authors.

I knew of Rucka as a prose author before I knew about his comics. The Atticus Kodiak novels are sooooo good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rucka (and Brad Meltzer) were prose authors who moved into comics. Is that more or less common than the other direction?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Prose to comics is waaaaaay more common.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have been meaning to pick up more comic to prose authors for a while. I got King's A once crowded sky which was okay but definitely would have worked better as a comic than a novel. Been meaning to pick up some Rucka novels.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The best Mayday Parker comic is that one-shot from Universe X where middle-aged Peter is locked in some kind of fantasy coma and May enters it to wake him up. Then she discovers that in his fantasy, he's succeeded by a son with Gwen Stacy and May has a brutal mental breakdown over it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read and liked a lot of China Mieville’s stuff, but that’s probably cheating

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He needs to do another comic. Dial H was really good.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Obligatory mention of the two Alan Moore novels.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Obligatory mention of the two Alan Moore novels.

Isn't one more of a bludgeoning weapon than a novel?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

Isn't one more of a bludgeoning weapon than a novel?

Yeah--I've read most of Voice of the Fire and I actually think it's pretty cool. I've been a little gun shy with his other one, since it's so long and it's already pretty difficult for me to tackle huge books.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we change the name of the forum?

Android Blues posted:

This month's Snagglepuss is loving lit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Last issue policeman Quick Draw McGraw had to violently arrest Huckberry Hound in a raid on an underground gay bar hours after they made love. If Hanna and/or Barbera are alive, I'd love to know their thoughts.

edit: Or not, on second thoughts. I just wonder if they get comps.
ee: Both dead.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 4, 2018

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gavok posted:

The best Mayday Parker comic is that one-shot from Universe X where middle-aged Peter is locked in some kind of fantasy coma and May enters it to wake him up. Then she discovers that in his fantasy, he's succeeded by a son with Gwen Stacy and May has a brutal mental breakdown over it.

I hate that comic with the passion of a thousand suns.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah--I've read most of Voice of the Fire and I actually think it's pretty cool. I've been a little gun shy with his other one, since it's so long and it's already pretty difficult for me to tackle huge books.

It's worth it, for the most part.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone made a guide for the FCBD selection this year.
https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/05/03/603652979/free-comic-book-day-2018-a-guide-to-the-best-bets-and-the-best-avoided

My local only lets you carry away two free comics (if this year's rules are the same as the last)
I'll try to get World's Greatest Cartoonists and Barrier if they have them. The big two stuff usually gets on Comixology anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the link. Guess I'll make the rounds to see if any of my local shops have the new Street Angel story.

• Locked thread