Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

The amount of people bitching about conversion kits is hilarious, especially when a lot of them were bitching about the lack of cards-only update kits for the X Wing not a month ago.

I can't think of any better way they could have done it, but as an occasional player with ships in every faction., it's a massive price to ask. I'm casual enough that this probably forces me out. Unless I sell off my rebs and scum, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Since it's not out 'till September, it shouldn't be too much trouble to stick back a few bucks for the conversions.

I love the changes, some of them are ones I've been doing anyway in my RPG (we kinda adapted X-Wing to EotE) like red actions, bullseye arcs, and mobile turrets instead of 360, so now it'll be even easier to transition between the RPG and X-Wing play.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thespaceinvader posted:

The amount of people bitching about conversion kits is hilarious, especially when a lot of them were bitching about the lack of cards-only update kits for the X Wing not a month ago.
There's a big difference between card-only updates like they used to do for Wings of War which just added new pilots and planes, and card-only updates that replace existing options and are mandatory to continue playing competitively. This is probably the best way they could have done things, but TBH it's both not good and also kind of mandated by the design space they decided on way back when they first made the game. And you get to look forward to it happening again for 3rd edition when that turns up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

lofi posted:

I can't think of any better way they could have done it, but as an occasional player with ships in every faction., it's a massive price to ask. I'm casual enough that this probably forces me out. Unless I sell off my rebs and scum, maybe.

Ditto.

The price is a concern for me too. I'll probably skip out on Rebels for a while again, as I don't have very much of the plastic at all, and much of what I do have is Resistance anyway.

Doing just one faction is a lot more viable though this time round, as they seem to be following the LEgion/Runewars model and not releasing upgrades usable by all factions in only one faction's kits.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, I look at those conversion kits and think "that's pretty awesome." It's got 2-4 of everything. That's a fuckload of new content.

It's cool to both be excited for 2.0 fixing the game and also realize the conversion kits could've been priced much cheaper/provided more of some ships and less of others (3 decimators?)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I really like how they're handling the conversion kits. Here are some thoughts why.

Some people bought into X-Wing wide, buying a single copy of most new releases across all factions. Some people bought into x-wing deep into a faction (there are some local players I know who are exclusive to a single faction, and many many more who are nearly exclusive to a faction). In the old days, it really sucked to have to buy a Starviper to get Autothrusters or a Kihraxz to get Crack Shot.

I've bought one of every release thus far (except the upsilon and rebel tie), and I've bought extra copies of just a few ships. Like, less than 5 duplicates. So, for me, one copy of each conversion pack is going to get almost all of my collection playable. I think I'll be short only one TIE Defender and an X-Wing. Remember, you will need a new 2.0 damage deck and will get two tie fighters and an x-wing in the new core set.

If you bought deep into a faction, with 2 or more of almost every ship, you'll need extra conversion kits to make them all day 1 playable. But I expect you'll want to re-buy the new releases as they get released anyway, because there will be new upgrades.

But now is the best time to convert to playing a single faction, especially since you don't need to buy cross-faction for upgrades.

Really, I think this was handled in the best way possible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Real talk

No backwards compatibility would be the worst possible option for the viability of the game.

Any kind of backwards compatibility has a cost associated with it.

They could have parted out the upgrade kits one ship at a time. Which would be a huge forecasting and logistical nightmare for both FFG and game stores.

So they did the thing of a big upgrade per faction. With enough stuff to cover most players.

More stuff would have just driven up the price per box.

It’s incredibly reasonable and generous.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Owlbear Camus posted:

Eh, I think that's maybe overly dismissive. If you like running XXX or swarms of stuff (and I do, sometimes), you're looking at multiple copies of these. Upwards of $250 worth of cardboard at retail easy to keep playing with your spaceship dolls. That's a steep re-buy-in for any tabletop game.

At least Curled Paw's awesome 2.0 maneuver templates will probably be their same reasonable price.

XXX is covered by one core and one conversion. Most things worth swarming with come with 4 bases in the conversion kit; for TIEs one kit and one core gets you six, which qualifies as a swarm to me. I think a lot of the worrying about price is premature.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

XXX is covered by one core and one conversion. Most things worth swarming with come with 4 bases in the conversion kit; for TIEs one kit and one core gets you six, which qualifies as a swarm to me. I think a lot of the worrying about price is premature.

I confess I was worried about this until I realised its 6 TIEs total across the two sets. I've never ran more than 7 TIEs (6 Academy and Howlrunner) so its not that big a change and I suspect that 6 will be a perfectly adequate swarm in 2.0.

It stings that I won't be able to run all my TIEs straight out the box but I have an entirely ridiculous number of TIE fighters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hell, one core, one TIE expansion, one conversion gets you to 7, which is the sane version of a TIE Swarm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

This allows them to sell reprints and 1.0 stuff until it's rereleased in 2.0. It's not like on September 13 all the 1.0 expansions are worthless, things like the ARC-170 is still worth buying because it hasn't been rereleased yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

canyoneer posted:

But I expect you'll want to re-buy the new releases as they get released anyway, because there will be new upgrades.
This is actually an arguement against even bothering with the conversion kits. All viable pilots will be in the core and new expansions, and if you're going to run multiple unique pilots you'll have the required parts in those purchases anyway. If you want multiple copies of the same generic in the same list then you're looking at problems. Making stuff day 1 playable is the only reason to get the conversions then.

ETA: I just noticed the expansions are priced at $19.99 too. When the conversion to euro happens that's likely to cost me €25 per in the FLGS via magic. I think that's gonna be the killer.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 2, 2018

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

Hell, one core, one TIE expansion, one conversion gets you to 7, which is the sane version of a TIE Swarm.

Yes, absolutely.

Of course, with the new core set I'd have 8 to that would be 9. I really got into TIE Fighters early on. With the new app and a casual group it doesn't matter one jot, mind.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Fuuuuck, I was going to sell off my cards this week!

I brought home a TIE/fo expansion literally yesterday and told my wife, "Hey, it was $12 but I can ebay these two cards for $10."

Today, I got to come home and tell her, "The thing I said yesterday is no longer true and also the ship I bought will not be a thing starting in September and not for ... a while."

Still going to try ebay though. No harm in it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Between Saw's Rebels, new Core, Conversion Kit, and an Expansion I'll end up with four new X-wings. I suppose that'll have to do for now. :v:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I just did the math for the conversion kits (based on 1.0 pilot costs). Two rebel kits will cover any swarm except 5 y-wings or 6 HWKs, which would need three kits. Two imperial kits cover everything except 5 star wings. Scum's basically the same as rebels - two kits will cover everything except HWK or y-wing swarms of the lowest cost pilots.

So it looks like one or two kits per faction will cover just about any reasonable list.

Unless you clone Zeb, in which case you would need four kits to cover your 7 Zeb TIE swarm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I expect people will split out their conversion kits, so you can get that extra x wing, B Wing or A wing without a whole new kit

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FFG just mesed up, im not spending over $300 to keep playing with the ships i already own! FFG failed to make a good game, in the quest for $ they released stuff with out properly testing it, and now FFG wnats me to pay for there mistake! FFG go ** yourself!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

I expect people will split out their conversion kits, so you can get that extra x wing, B Wing or A wing without a whole new kit

It might even be profitable to do so. I know a lot of people are going to want Defender/Bomber as a set and A/B Wings as a set, since Imp Vets and Rebel Aces are the most common "what do I buy now?" sets.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, I look at those conversion kits and think "that's pretty awesome." It's got 2-4 of everything. That's a fuckload of new content.

Yep ,I really think FFG has really made converting as painless rear end possible financially. I am so hype for its killing my urge to play 1.0

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

There is absolutely no chance they won't make you bring all the cards for tournaments above seasonal kit level. Organised Play is a pure marketing tool, taking the marketing aspect out of it is flat out not gonna happen.

How would that take the marketing aspect out? You still need to buy the ships in the first place. Nobody buys this game because of the sweet upgrade card art. I've literally never seen any judge or TO walk around to make sure cards were legit and not xeroxed copies so they couldnt care too much about it. Plus they just increased to the size of every upgrade to regular card size. So if you thought some stores had space issues before..... Good luck finding space for that 10 upgrade Myranda or whatever the 2.0 equivalent is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AndyElusive posted:

FFG just mesed up, im not spending over $300 to keep playing with the ships i already own! FFG failed to make a good game, in the quest for $ they released stuff with out properly testing it, and now FFG wnats me to pay for there mistake! FFG go ** yourself!

Source your quotes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also look how close I was!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657860&userid=50067&perpage=40&pagenumber=61#post483465888

ConfusedUs posted:

They're going to announce X-Wing 2.0, with associated big-box cardboard/card-only upgrade packs (probably in the $50 per faction range), to be released this summer with early packs available at GenCon in June.

No idea why the gently caress I thought GenCon was in June.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Source your quotes.

Look no further than Playing Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition w/ Co-Designer Alex Davy on YouTube.

Why didn't you tell anyone here that your Uncle works at Fantasy Flight Games?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Jesus you'd think the sky was falling on the FFG facebook. How many of those people (or people here, even) actually use all three factions? Three hundred people panicking about paying $150 for all their precious plastic spaceships when they spent three times that for them in the first place and only ever used six or eight. :psyduck:

I have literally never used an Imperial ship that wasn't a Defender, Interceptor, or Bomber. I'm not sad at all to not have to buy them anymore going forward, and you'd think FFG had killed someone's first born.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
On the one hand I'm more than a little annoyed at how much money I'm going to have to spend to keep playing the game I've already invested a ton of money into, but on the other hand I do understand how significant change was necessary, and-

wait Horton has an EPT and Y-Wings get a native barrel roll now? Ah, gently caress it I'm all in.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't played or purchased X-Wing in almost 2 years.

I am so loving excited for GenCon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the one hand I'm more than a little annoyed at how much money I'm going to have to spend to keep playing the game I've already invested a ton of money into, but on the other hand I do understand how significant change was necessary, and-

wait Horton has an EPT and Y-Wings get a native barrel roll now? Ah, gently caress it I'm all in.

You get to watch Alex Davy use it to commit suicide with his Y-wing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Honestly the conversion kit will probably help me out since I'd rather go mono-faction anyway now that they're distributing upgrade cards in a sane fashion and I bet that kit will have a ton of 1.0 cards that came on ships I never bought.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Honestly the conversion kit will probably help me out since I'd rather go mono-faction anyway now that they're distributing upgrade cards in a sane fashion and I bet that kit will have a ton of 1.0 cards that came on ships I never bought.

A thousand times this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah it's a lot better than the other FFG 2.0 model where 'lol no your collection is 100% useless'

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This is where I'm at, though having to buy Resistance separately when Rey/Poe are my favorite ships kinda sucks

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Strobe posted:

Jesus you'd think the sky was falling on the FFG facebook. How many of those people (or people here, even) actually use all three factions? Three hundred people panicking about paying $150 for all their precious plastic spaceships when they spent three times that for them in the first place and only ever used six or eight. :psyduck:

I have literally never used an Imperial ship that wasn't a Defender, Interceptor, or Bomber. I'm not sad at all to not have to buy them anymore going forward, and you'd think FFG had killed someone's first born.

Seriously, it's ridiculous. First, $50 is goddamn bargain considering the sheer amount of stuff that's going to be in each kit, second, you can easily split a box with someone else if you only want a few ships' worth of content and third, FFG DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS AT ALL!! They could have been dicks and just said "buy new ships," but they didn't!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, I intend to go full Galactic Empire with my alternate faction being Rebel Alliance.

While I loved the idea of playing as Bounty Hunters and less savory fellows, I'd rather just stick with the two groups I'm most fond of.

If later that means I get to extend into First Order and Resistance then I'll cross that bridge once FFG fill out those factions as well. Until then I think I might sell off my hanger of Scum and Villiany with 2.0 on the horizon.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, I intend to go full Galactic Empire with my alternate faction being Rebel Alliance.

While I loved the idea of playing as Bounty Hunters and less savory fellows, I'd rather just stick with the two groups I'm most fond of.

If later that means I get to extend into First Order and Resistance then I'll cross that bridge once FFG fill out those factions as well. Until then I think I might sell off my hanger of Scum and Villiany with 2.0 on the horizon.

Hell, same. I'll probably have to wait until I see what Scum ships are actually good, and then just sell extra models to people who want to fill out collections.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Imperial and Scum. Synergy is for nerds.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

Completely unrelated, anyone interested in splitting some of the conversion kits?

If I buy into this I'm going to have a bunch of Rebel and Imperial EU ship conversion ingredients I'm not gonna want. That's my big uncertainty here, is whether to fork over $50 for Conversion Kits that are loaded with material for ships I don't and won't own. I'd love to sell off the EU ship materials to someone to defray costs.

Of course this is all many months in the future.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wonder what X-wing 2.0 is going to have in store for the E-wing.

I bet Corran's double-tap ability gets locked behind Force Points. :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Strobe posted:

Hell, same. I'll probably have to wait until I see what Scum ships are actually good, and then just sell extra models to people who want to fill out collections.

Probably a good idea. You just know the Quad Quad Jumper meta is right around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

If I buy into this I'm going to have a bunch of Rebel and Imperial EU ship conversion ingredients I'm not gonna want. That's my big uncertainty here, is whether to fork over $50 for Conversion Kits that are loaded with material for ships I don't and won't own. I'd love to sell off the EU ship materials to someone to defray costs.

Of course this is all many months in the future.

Yeah, a lot of this will be contingent on what the new ships will look like, dial and upgrade-wise.

Strobe posted:

I wonder what X-wing 2.0 is going to have in store for the E-wing.

I bet Corran's double-tap ability gets locked behind Force Points. :allears:

You know, I'm a little surprised they never errata'd Corran to receive a Weapons Disabled token when he double taps.