Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Strobe posted:

Then it's not a fail, you have successfully locked your chosen target. :v:

You'd still take a stress for attempting it, it's part of the cost for doing the object. Just because you failed it doesn't mean you don't pay the costs. :shrug:

Page 11 of the rules reference says that failing a linked action doesn't generate a stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Raged posted:

As someone who has flown Torani at PS 10 in probably drat near 100 games, I think people are really overestimating how often they are going to have a ship in their bullseye arc.

I don't have nearly your experience with the Kimogila, but I feel like I have a much harder time getting bullseyes with it than with almost anything else.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Yeah I saw that as well. I still think it could be argued otherwise. In the Gonk example the effect is to "gain one shield", which isn't possible when you're maxed out. While changing all (zero) focus results can still be done. So the question really is what "resolve the effect" means. Part of the effect is spending the token, so the game state will still be changed, whether the dice change or not.
I don't care much either way, I just want the rules to be clear and consistent.

Edit:
Another question: Jake has the ability to trigger of boosts or barrel rolls to do a focus action. He can also do a red boost after an action.
The rules text for red actions says: "After a ship performs a red action, it gains one stress token."
Ship ability says: "After you perform an [boost] action, you may perform a red action."
Pilot ability says: "After you perform a [boost] or [barrel roll] action, you may choose a friendly ship at range 0-1. That ship may perform a action."
So the timing is the same - after you perform an action - in all three instances. Does that mean the player gets to queue them and decide the order, and save the stress for the end? If so it would be possible to do a total of four actions, while also giving one away.

In the Ability Queue section of the rules on page 3 it says that if a game effect (getting stress) shares timing with abilities, it happens first. So the stress happens right after the red boost, before his ability would kick in.

But it seems like you should be able to use his ability to give a focus after getting the stress: barrel roll, ability focus, boost and get stress, and then give a focus.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

In the interest of trying as many scum tricks as possible, I flew my most 1.0-style list to date last night. 2 large-base ships and a ton of upgrades:

Han Solo (54)
Trick Shot (1)
Boba Fett (4)
L3-37 (4)
BT-1 (2)
Rigged Cargo Chute (4)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Lando's Millennium Falcon (6)
Ship Total: 78

Outer Rim Pioneer (24)
Ship Total: 24

Moralo Eval (72)
Trick Shot (1)
Tractor Beam (3)
Jabba the Hutt (8)
Tobias Beckett (2)
Contraband Cybernetics (5)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Ship Total: 94

Total: 196

My plan was to move an asteroid around to block his way, start Han close to his side and jet around dropping cargo, with Moralo running off the board and popping back on with Jabba in range of the Falcon to make more cargo. Almost none of that happened and I lost in the end, but I did find out that cybernetics with Jabba on the 666 is good fun. Getting ioned off the board became a fast 180 turn and let me make Moralo into a fixed gun at the edge of the mat for a few rounds. A good learning experience even if I don't fly anything like it again.

Also, the threat of the title and BT-1 definitely changed how my opponent flew, it really took the wind out of Arvel's sails as he tried to avoid stressing.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

hoiyes posted:

So, Paige and Veteran Turret Gunner interaction on a big shrimp. Say a ship is range 1 in rear arc, can you attack, rotate the arc 180 and attack the same ship again, as it's technically a different arc?

No, the rules says when rotating a double arc you have to rotate to the two arcs not selected before.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Strobe posted:

Any ships caught in the blast have a very good chance of not being able to shoot at anything for two full turns while their opponent has a very good chance to suffer no negative consequences.

"You stop playing the game for two turns, your opponent is unaffected" is very, very easily identifiable as an NPE.

Especially keeping in mind that that's not a quirk of some edge-case combo, that's working as intended.

What do you mean by not able to shoot at anything for two turns? I get the disarm for one, do you mean maneuvering away from the bomb for the other? Or the ion putting you out of position?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Okay now that I'm back home, some thoughts:

Dooku crew on the generic Infiltrator is 100% the star of the list. He's like old-school C-3PO. Roll a die, call an evade. Except it works on any ship at up to range 2 of the Dooku ship, so it's like 3PO for your entire list.

Having it not on Maul makes it more likely to trigger, because Doocrew requires you to have full force. Maul is always spending his force. The non-Maul ship always has full force.

Dooku saved me 4+ health in every game.

Maul + Grievous + Hate is just solid.

The third infiltrator was, really, the weak link. Palp's stress mechanic came in relevant a couple of times when a stressed Fenn Rau decided to shoot someone else. Mostly I just used it for the passive force mod.

I can fit two of the I3 vulture droids with energy shell charges for the same price as the Palp infiltrator. I wonder if that's better.

Edit: If you played the "Incredible Bulk" list from first edition, this flies a LOT like that. Get in close, bump everything, cycle out the wounded ships.

I've had some success with something kinda similar:

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
General Grievous (3)
Count Dooku (9)
Kraken (10)

0-66 (55)
Chancellor Palpatine (14)
Scimitar (4)

DFS-311 (24)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Grappling Struts (3)

Total: 194

Though based on what you're saying I might switch up Palpatine and Dooku. Kraken frees up one force on Maul and lets O-66 get the extra action to either hit harder or cloak and avoid damage. I'm still not sure what else to do with the last 6 though.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Funzo posted:

Got a rules question. Can you take linked actions off Passive Sensors? Like if a ship has a red rotate off Target Lock or something. The way it reads, I assumed you can't, but it's not completely clear.

You should be able to. Unless it specifies otherwise or it makes the action red or something, you can link off of it.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my local gaming group is doing an epic team tournament. Everybody needs to bring an epic ship, and 500 points. Is this dumb, or the dumbest poo poo?

Poe Dameron (68)
Swarm Tactics (5)
R2 Astromech (4)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Dreadnought Hunter (10)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

New Republic Volunteers (55)
Ion Cannon Battery (6)
Dorsal Turret (3)
C-3PO (6)
PZ-4CO (6)
Damage Control Team (3)
Boosted Scanners (8)
Total: 497

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

X-wings are of course in a wing.

With them all at ps6 for shooting, I am figuring I can blast through, with ym teammate. Get em in r3 of the enemy big ship, have the HLCs strip shield, then poe causes fun face up damage shenannigans.

I think you need veteran wing leader to set up the wing, which prevents you from having dreadnought hunter in Poe.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. Dreadnought hunter is a command card you assign to wing commanders. Veteran Wing Leader is another type of command card. You can have a wing without either IIRC.

The rules for wing squad building say this:

quote:

A player can select a wing leader and form a wing by equipping specific upgrade cards. These upgrade cards nominate a small ship as a wing leader, contain parameters for choosing that wing leader’s wingmates, and provide the wing with an ability to use during the game.

Dreadnought hunter doesn't say anything about making you a wing leader or what wingmates would be. It seems to be a use for the command upgrade on something other than a wing. I could certainly be wrong, but it doesn't match the text on the other wing leader cards.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

canyoneer posted:

DBS-404 Hyena Bomber got a 10 point bump

404 is steady at 30 pts. Were you maybe looking at 32c dropping to 40?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

Oh I'm a moonbat who was considering buying individual pieces for each ship off EBay or wherever but buying a conversion kit means I can pick up whatever grey box models from that faction correct? That sounds much easier, I'm not looking to play in tourneys I just want a set for my kitchen table bc star wars

If you go to the FFG X-Wing 2nd Ed page and expand the FAQ you can see the contents of each conversion kit.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Someone explain to me how the Backwards Tailslide is not complete trash. Yeah, you can barrel roll/boost through obstacles (a bit restrictive, but ok) but don't actually ignore the obstacles otherwise. So you either try to makes sikk plays doing tiny 1-base moves around the three tiny gas clouds you took and were likely ditched to corners by your opponent or just keep eating rocks?

It's like a really, really bad collision detector and already you barely ever see the detector.

My guess is it's meant to go with Overdrive Thruster so it's a 2-speed barrel roll/boost rather than a 1. That opens things up a little more, in some situations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

polynominal-c posted:

When a Discord Missile is launched and the Buzz Droid Swarm token immediately overlaps an enemy ship, does it trigger immediately?

There is a similar ruling with Proximity Mine, but they didn't really generalize that ruling ..

It attaches immediately, and does damage at initiative 0 as usual.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Derlix posted:

I'm pretty sure the Buzz Droids will be placed at the end of the template as normal, under the ship. Since it is at range zero, it will do damage as normal at initiative zero. The Buzz Droids don't relocate until a maneuver template is placed overlapping them.

This made me wonder if I've been playing wrong for almost a year now so I checked the RRG. It uses the same language ("overlaps or moves through") for both proximity/cluster mine detonations and buzz droid relocations so I think the relocation happens immediately.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Velius posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give it a bit more plays before we start thinking about more ships beyond the Bomber and Y-wing. We watched Empire again last night for the first time in a couple years, and we'll watch Jedi sometime soon, so that may make things fun. It's too bad Armada is apparently dead, but maybe the new Xwing game will rejuvenate things, because big ships are cool too.

Armada is hopefully emerging from hibernation with the Clone Wars releases in December!
Republic fleet starter
Separatist fleet starter

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

If my ship with a bomb has 2 charges, can I spend the second charge while the device is on the field, thereby "teleporting" the device?

Yes, you can spend the second charge before the first bomb has detonated, but you'd place another bomb at the new location rather than moving the first.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Slave I article is up.

Looks pretty solid overall. I hope this means the end of the old Slave I title.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

And the folks making Marvel Crisis Protocol right now

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

pbpancho posted:

Pm me what you are after and I can take a look. Got a lot of acrylic too.

If you happen to have an acrylic Techno Union bomber or 3 you'd be willing to part with I'm interested.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

New official squadbuilder app and lots of new points/changes:
https://squadbuilder.fantasyflightgames.com/

Disappointed by the generic tri-fighter pricing, not sure why it merits such a premium over the interceptor.

Edit: Points pdfs are up, along with an article:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/11/24/x-wing-points-update/

Napoleon Nelson fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 24, 2020

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it still Snapshot Juke Greens?

It's usually 5 of the named RZ-2s, generally with multiple I5 pilots.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Does c3p0 grant a second calculate token or is the second part of his card reminder text?

Can a ship spend a lock token to reroll dice for an attack that requires a lock token?

Second calculate token.

Yes.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Raged posted:

Thinking about giving Jango w/Slave one and Zam Crew a spin for an HS tournament. No idea what I would run with maybe though. Any ideas?

3 Separatist Interceptors puts you at 197 and they're lots of fun.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

AMG is doing a Star Wars livestream on teh 2nd. Probably just showing Legion I bet.

Also A large base ship with 2 agility, 10 hull, three shields, evade action?.
As well, has boost, absolutely broken dial for a big ship, allows regen of n1 ships. Also Obi Crew that lets you roll an additional green die.

Haven't read the entire thing yet, so there's probably more dumb poo poo in there.

I think he gave up by the time he got to the slicer tools. Charges with no way to spend them? Giving jam to ships with coordinate? Well edited.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Saalkin posted:

Where the gently caress.

Is.

The Razor Crest?!

5 days away from announcement is my guess. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cornerstone of AMG's presentation.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Sorry but it's probably going to be the much demanded Bestoon Legacy! The ship fans everywhere have been clamoring for!

I had to look that one up and... you're 100% right. That's what they're going to announce with maybe a hint of Razor Crest by the time 3.0 rolls around.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I love his theory-crafting on the meaning of token color/shape when it's already explained in the rules.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Now I can recreate the ending of TIE Fighter with Merek, Vader, and four randos in defenders.

It does seem kinda rude to not give Maarek a Defender in the expansion.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Looks like there's a big global event coming up: Armada/Legion/X-wing with event-specific rules and list building

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/unconventional-warfare?fbclid=IwAR0nXJkKyNt8_awN_hukwW4SKiT57KiX2PEFVfu77VXUiQIBAz8bg9anA1g

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1372635189889863686

New epic ship that looks pretty sweet. Guess seps and scum and inseperable in epic now.

I love this thing, I'm very excited for it. Especially with the AI deck!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Not in any detail, I think they said they'd cover it in an article at some point.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Who's they? Which ship?

Atomic Mass Games, the group within Asmodee taking over X-Wing. And the ship is the Trident, a new epic ship for CIS that's going to have some new game modes in addition to a bunch of new cards.

Here's the most recent tweet https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1397643912173531149?s=19

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I think (hope?) we won't see 3.0 for a while. That would be such an easy jumping off point for people, especially after a year and a half of having the game in hibernation. If they're smart they'll a) work on getting reprints of stuff that's gone out of stock, b) be quick on rules changes/clarifications, and c) encourage more/different ways to play (like they seem to be doing with the Trident)

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Got myself the new epic squid. Very sad the tentacles don't move or bend.

The side ones have a joint for a few degrees in and out, but more would've been nice.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The Tie Aggressor is going for $40+! I just sold one to a guy in my local group for $10, and even that seemed too much for that crummy ship.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

I just want a rebel Arc at a decent price

What's a decent price? I kept one when I sold out of rebels because it's such a pretty model, but now I have 2 republic ones so I don't mind giving it a good home.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Can you manage $20 with shipping inclusive? I'm in the US, fyi.

Sounds good to me.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Double pack for the Resistance Y-Wing:
https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1418586777904889859?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Raged posted:

I want those so bad. Too bad every tournament in Australia I can get to is canceled till at least October due to the new outbreak.

Wartime loadout along with the ship ability looks amazing

Unfortunately it replaces the ship ability, so no free calcs