Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I just noticed that Luke’s pilot card has the x-wing at 4 hull now.

Yeah, but there's been no sign of Integrated Astromech, so it looks like that's gone for the extra hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

:rip: Jansen :(

E: Unless he's in the conversion pack.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 3, 2018

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

hoiyes posted:

He'll probably be in the new core along with Luke.

I think that's going to be Porkins, since he's not in that expansion, but definitely exists.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Devlan Mud posted:

Fuckin' lol that rebel Fenn is practically unchanged.

Isn't it stressbot, VI and hotshot copilot that break him? Without any of that he seems fine.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Greedo crew doesn't have a downside if he shoots first :allears:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Devlan Mud posted:

There is no app

And I must wang

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Madurai posted:

Official solitaire rules! Well, the very first glimmerings of them, anyway. It'll be an interesting compare to the 2.0 versions of HotAC to see how they behave.

I tried a couple of games of this tonight, it actually seems pretty interesting. I've not played HotAC to compare but the dice system FFG is using usually has the ships doing a fairly sensible manoeuvre. I actually lost the second game, which was totally because of my opponent's dice.

One of the weirder things is noticing things that AI ships can do that you wouldn't as a player. My first game ended when I noticed the last interceptor on an offensive attitude could do a linked boost and barrel roll to get a shot off... completely unmodded and jousting a full health X-Wing at R1. Maybe he just really liked Arvel :v:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Raged posted:

A-wings are allowed but I don't feel like flying more than 2 of them. My Herald's of Hope just showed up might mess around with that.

You can get Ello, Nien, Zizi and Talli, all with heroic and advanced optics on the awings for 199

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Baron Porkface posted:

Does c3p0 grant a second calculate token or is the second part of his card reminder text?

Can a ship spend a lock token to reroll dice for an attack that requires a lock token?

You get a normal calculate token for the action, then 3PO's text kicks in and gives a second.

Any special weapon with Attack (token) needs that token to perform the attack but you can still spend it during to modify as normal, so you can reroll dice on a proton torpedo by using the lock or modify focus results on proton rockets by spending your focus token.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Am I missing something obvious with turrets in hyperspace? The PDFs have dorsal and ion turrets listed as YES in the hyperspace column, but they’re not on the official builder or launchbay.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Baron Porkface posted:

Does firing a torpedo spend the lock or just require it?

Just require it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Baron Porkface posted:

How does outmaneuver work when targeting the millenium falcon?

If you're not in an active arc then you get outmanoeuvre. So if it's turret is pointing front+back you need to be to either side, and vice versa.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the rules text justification for this?

X-Wing rules reference, under arcs

quote:

A ship’s firing arcs include all shaded arcs on the ship’s ship token plus all [turret] arcs, if any.
• If an upgrade card gives a ship a [turret] arc or primary weapon with a specified arc, those arcs are also firing arcs

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The run away all game thing just seems to be American. I only ever hear about it online or see it on streams from US payers.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Appropriate size when pegging is a very personal subject.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Is there a written list of the changes?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It would give it a purpose, and I really like that as an idea, it'd be really interesting to be alternating who's moving first across a game.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

If they’re going to preview massive rules changes it’d be nice to put them all out at once, rather than this drip and huge unknowns and speculation.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Did they forget to delete a bulletpoint in the attack rules?

quote:

Unless it has an ability that allows attacks at range 0, a ship cannot
attack a ship at range 0, even if the attack range would be range 1.

is still in there

E: Under player order too

quote:

During the Determine First Player step of setup, the player
whose squad has the lowest squad point total chooses which
player is the first player. The first player is assigned the First Player marker.
If players are tied for squad point total, one player calls either “hits” ([hit] or
[crit]), or “misses” (blank or [focus]). Then the other player rolls one attack die. If
the player chose the set of results that matches the die, that player chooses
which player is the first player; otherwise the other player chooses.

Then under setup

quote:

Determine Player Order: Randomly determine the first player as
follows:
a. Each player rolls three attack dice. The player with the most [crit] results
is the first player.
b. In the case of a tie, the first player is the player with the most [focus]
results.
c. If there is still a tie, the first player is the player with the most [hit]
results.
d. If there is still a tie, players reroll the dice and follow the above rules
until the tie is broken.
• This roll cannot be modified by game effects.

good proofreading going on here :thunk:

ro5s fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 23, 2022

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

They thought enough to prevent 3-Defender lists, though I think that problem would be better solved via the Restricted list.

Yeah, but you'd think to balance them the lower PS defender should have more loudout points/options to be worth as many squad points as the higher PS.

Another well thought out one - howlrunner's got 3 mod slots and not enough loadout points to take 3 useful mods.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Those are pretty much my two biggest problems after a few games. You're just taking upgrades to fill points now and stacking up piles of things/cards that make every ship a mess to remember plus the scenarios are pretty anticlimactic - assault the satellite array just kind of ended when I lost Luke, when the game still felt undecided - salvage mission seems to encourage disengaging and stalling, I got ahead on ships and had a 1 health TIE fighter 1harding away from the remaining combat with a cargo container - and chance encounter is pretty much a normal fight that'll end when someone only has 1 ship left.

The scenarios aren't great but I don't think they're completely unsalvagable, squadbuilding feels really bad now though. I think every pilot will have a 'solved' best build (the guy I was playing against had arrived at a bunch of the same builds as I had completely independently) and that means it feels like there's going to be a solved best squad.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 6, 2022

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I played a few more games tonight, and I think the Scramble the Transmissions scenario is absolutely awful now having tried it.

This was the board when the game ended.

I killed RIvas that turn, my Backdraft had 1 health left and a couple of other ships had taken 1 damage. With everyone constantly losing actions to flip the satellites no one could reposition for shots or to mod their attack dice so nothing was happening all game until it just fizzled out because I lost on points. Which is the frustrating part - no one was winning the fight, it was still up in the air but the game was just over, not satisfying to anyone.

The silencer only fired once all game because it was much better off tagging objectives rather than engaging, all the scenarios feel like they encourage having ships that don't actually fight.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Depending on the situation a cockpit full of jizz can allow a pilot to exceed their normal limitations, or be a fatal distraction.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

How are you even supposed to perform the action at range 0? You need to bump, not take the red focus then coordinate them to even start using the gimmick.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

JazzFlight posted:

Off-Topic, but am I the only one where this thread in particular always shows 1 new post in bookmarked threads even though I’m caught up?

I've got that too, I've tried unbookmaring then redoing it, resetting my last read, I've no idea what it is :shrug:

ConfusedUs posted:

This is easily the best article about strategy in 2.5 I’ve read yet.

https://happygonecrazy.wordpress.com/2022/03/17/surviving-scenarios/

This looks interesting, I'm going to a 4 game event on Sunday so I'll try to bear this in mind.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 19, 2022

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ConfusedUs posted:

How'd you do?

2-2 with this. Taking the general approach to use firepower to thin out hostile ships in the early turns for points then go for objectives once everything was under control.

1st game was chance engagement against 3 Alphas, Goran, Windrider and Zertik Strom. With all the disciplined I though it'd be over quickly, but terrible red dice on my part meant it took ages for me to kill any and set it off. I got taken down to just 1/2 health Luke vs a 1 health Strom, Windrider and an Alpha but we were on round 10, so my opponent was able to just not engage for the last few turns to get a win 18-12. The satellite came up a little, 1 point for the imperials in turn 1 since and interceptor jumped forwards for it, then I couldn't really send Luke away from the centre to go for targets in the last few turns.

2nd was assault the satellite array vs Hera bwing, Luke, Hobbie, Ezra and Blount and was intensely frustrating. I made mistakes with how I was handling my list so I can't just sit blaming red dice but I couldn't hit anything at all - both Wedge's torps only took the shields off the Bwing and those were some of the better attacks I rolled that game. With no kills and a disadvantage in numbers I was just completely overwhelmed on objectives, barely able to control any and losing pretty decisively. Though after this one I did figure out how I should deploy my objectives and my opening moves at least, I'd like to have tried it again with that knowledge to see if it'd help.

For the next 2 I deployed my objectives roughly like this

With the one in my half almost Range 2 of the centre, and the one in their half opposite it, range 4 from their board edge to force them forwards if they wanted it. Luke, AP5 and Wedge all go on this loaded up side with Thane handling the other objective and stalling.

3rd was scramble the transmissions and things started finally coming together. This was against Cracken, Garven, Magva Yarro, Ibtisam and Crynid. Yarro and Ibtisam are opposite Thane, Cracken and Garven central and Crynid opposite Luke, Wedge and AP5. Turn 1 AP5 coordiated Wedge to boost forwards, my opponent grabs one satellite while not really committing Crynid with a 3 bank and barrel roll towards me, not getting the other objective AND vulnerable. Thane and Luke grab the objectives on my side while Wedge 4 straights to get into range to torpedo 1 shot the Awing. It was all pretty under control from there, I was able to take that top corner objective while Wedge was turning in, Luke and AP5 angle towards the centre to join him while Thane comes in a little slower, staying out of range. Then it was just a case of having more, higher PS firepower to take out Garven, Cracken and Yarro over the next few turns while keeping more satellites under my control.

4th was salvage mission vs separatists with Grievous, 2 hyenas, a vulture and a HMP. Proton torps really let you bully someone here. The same opening as game 3 saw Wedge knock the cargo off a hyena while I picked up 2 with the other Xwings. Turn 2 had Wedge and AP5 finish off that hyena while Luke and Thane killed the vuture that went for the central cargo. It was under control from there again, the cargo got knocked off the HMP pretty quickly, it and Grievous taking damage. On the last turn I killed the HMP with a tight barrel roll from Wedge and Grievous with unmodded AP5 to finish 32-3 for the highest score of the day, though I did feel a little bad :v:

I'm warming the the scenarios as I play more, though I still don't like the points/listbuilding changes. The top tables were dominated by autoblaster jedi, though at least I managed to dodge them. 9th out of 22 overall, and I definitely learned a little more about how to handle the new scenarios, so a pretty good day overall.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ConfusedUs posted:

Ace lists of 3-4 ships tend to be super weak at one of the categories--usually objective capturing, but it can vary based on the aces chosen--but do surprisingly well if they can claw back from the early deficit they're almost certain to accrue. I have a gut feeling that a lot of the people who say they felt the game was over long before it was actually over are flying lists like this. It takes a certain kind of experience to know when losing in points on round 2 is not the same as being in a losing position, and it takes a certain kind of fortitude not to be discouraged by the numerical loss. Players who get tilted--and I'm one of them--should probably avoid this kind of list.

I think this covers my game 2 pretty well, I probably have been better off just abandoning holding the objectives on an earlier turn when I wasn't getting kills. I think I was kind of middle ground between scattered holding objectives and concentrating all my guns on specific targets, getting the worst of both worlds. Hindsight's 20/20, but hopefully I'll be more aware of that in the future to avoid doing it again.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I played the new version of scramble the transmissions yesterday. It felt a lot better with less objectives slowing scoring down and encouraging meaningful fighting over them. I’ve not tried the other modified scenarios yet but my gut reaction is cutting them to 3 objectives would help them too.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I thought the rogue was going to be medium based when I saw them in the box, how big is it supposed to be?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

They stash them the same place the Inferno Squadron pilots keep their cannons and missiles.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Another aces pack, 35 across al the factions. Tycho's back and X-Wing Corran is in it with a pretty interesting ability.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Turns out they[previewed the hotshots and aces rebels and no one noticed (scroll down a bit, past the coruscant)

Guess who's back?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

bunnyofdoom posted:

It was gimmicky as hell, and did terrible against the bomb spam and harpoon spam of the last of 1.0 but it was fun at least.

In the early days of 2.0 I ran a successor in triple t70s.

If Wes is priced at 4-5, I can fit another x in. If not, maybe a z-95, or a-wing. Will keep you updated.

The tail end of 1st ed had glorious XXX, expertise and integrated astromechs. It was a chainsaw of a list :getin:

I’ve got an XXXZ list now with Wedge, Luke, Thane and Cracken in a headhunter right now, so I’m hoping Wes will be a 5 to just swap in.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

None of the card's changed from 2 -> 2.5, if you had 2nd edition stuff it's still fine, otherwise it's just the old conversion kits, I think you can still get them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Floppychop posted:

There's a local event coming up and I've narrowed it down to two lists but I can't decide between them.

First one is they're all I-5 except Wedge at I-6 and classic Wedge is an absolute beast. But I have to drag around a Z-95 or another 3pt ship. Second one is easy to deal with since they're all standardized loadouts and having everything have a 3 dice primary is nice. But lack of S-foils is noticeable as sometimes the best option is closing them to get that boost. Also BoY Wedge is nice since he's 5pts, but the lack of I-6 is noticeable and the conditional on his ability hurts a bit.

===List 1===
Luke Skywalker (6)
Instinctive Aim (2), Proton Torpedoes (12), R3 Astromech (4), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (6)
Predator (2), Proton Torpedoes (12), R3 Astromech (4), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wes Janson (5)
Predator (2), Plasma Torpedoes (7), R3 Astromech (4), Electronic Baffle (2), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Airen Cracken (3)
Expert Handling (2), Plasma Torpedoes (7)

Total: 20
View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Allianc...half%20men&obs=

===List 2===
Luke Skywalker (BoY) (6)
Instinctive Aim (0), Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-D2 (BoY) (0)

Wedge Antilles (BoY) (5)
Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Marksmanship (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-A3 (BoY) (0)

Jek Porkins (BoY) (4)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (0), R5-D8 (BoY) (0), Unstable Sublight Engines (BoY) (0)

Biggs Darklighter (BoY) (5)
Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Selfless (BoY) (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-F2 (BoY) (0)

Total: 20
View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v9ZhZ20Z555X73W475W136W477Y558X475W125W136W481Y556X134W483W476Y557X475W284W136W479&sn=BoY%204x&obs=

From personally flying a list that was close to your 1 vs one that was close to your 2 the I6 Wedge was really useful to just bully his ships off the board. I've not tried a Wedge/Luke/Wes list yet but I feel like the loss of veteran instincts hurts Wes in this matchup. Wedge shoots first, then you probably want Cracken to set up a double mod on Wes who finally shoots, so you're not getting much value from his ability since there won't be tokens to jam off compared to swapping him for Thane.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The scenarios all encourage running away, I’ve done far more of it in 2.5 than I did in 1st and 2nd edition combined. They lead to lots of zombie games too where it’s over 3 turns before someone actually hits 20 points.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Some Numbers posted:

Are the IG88 Aggressors still playable under the new ruleset?

Yes, they’re not in standard but they’re in extended

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SpellingError posted:

It's been years since I played and I still have a modest collection of models from the first edition. If I wanted to get back into X-Wing with the second edition and bought the Core Set and the Battle of Yavin Expansion, would I be able to use my old first-edition-models with the cards and templates that come in the BoY-Expansion? Or would I have to get the conversion sets for Rebels and Empire? I never played competitively, just casually with friends and family and am planning to keep it that way.

Sorry, this question has probably already been answered, but at more than 200 pages I just can't find the time to skip through the whole thread...

It doesn't look like it comes with dials for all the yavin stuff but the cards and bases will be fine. The dials are slightly different from 1st edition, though for casual playing you could probably just look up the differences.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

There's still a tournament scene in :scotland: I attend though it's smaller than pre covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I crazy, or is the BoY quick build Luke the best of all possible Luke? Like putting aside that he's 5 points to everyone else's 6, he has the same ability, plus also attack speed.

TBH I don't like attack speed over the S-foil proper boost but generally yes, a bunch of the standardised loadouts are cheaper, better and get more stuff than the customisable ones.