Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

channel owners have the option to disable ads for subscribers, including people that subscribed via prime

they removed the global ad-free that prime used to have, trying to sell more turbo for an extra nine bucks

ah alright, makes sense. i remembered that they were trying to push the turbo again and dropped ad-free browsing for prime, but then when i tried to buy turbo it didn't work so i just reenabled adblock :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

turbo nerds

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember that it's not twitch that decides when to run ads, it's the individual streamer

if you're getting too many obnoxious ads just stop watching that particular idiot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

remember that it's not twitch that decides when to run ads, it's the individual streamer

if you're getting too many obnoxious ads just stop watching that particular idiot

only fully partnered streamers have luxury to schedule their ads. affiliates and non-partnered streamers get twitch-dictated ad schedule. also no streamer is exempt of twitch-dictated pre-roll ads, that are initiated on each page load

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So if I'm watching a stream and it plays like seven ads in a row is it the streamers fault?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's your fault for using twitch

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Volmarias posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

So if I'm watching a stream and it plays like seven ads in a row is it the streamers fault?

could be if partner. maximum programming that twitch allows for ads is 3 minutes of ads each 8 minutes.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Turn off you're twitch

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

Turn off you're twitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5haMVR5my-s

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

twitch’s fallback when it can’t connect to the stream is to just play ads

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

could be if partner. maximum programming that twitch allows for ads is 3 minutes of ads each 8 minutes.

gently caress that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Volmarias posted:

this and your fault for not using an ad blocker

how is anyone not using an ad blocker

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the streamers I watch do 3 minutes an hour and if you’re subbed you see zero ads at all

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i honestly didn't know twitch ads existed because i always used the sites in a browser with an ad blocker or via an xbmc/kodi add-on that doesn't show them either

it was the same with youtube ads before i got a smartphone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah alright, makes sense. i remembered that they were trying to push the turbo again and dropped ad-free browsing for prime, but then when i tried to buy turbo it didn't work so i just reenabled adblock :effort:

I can't even activate twitch prime on my account.
Amazon Support says useless rubbish about disabling VPNs and trying yet another credit card. They never escalate and Twitch support doesn't respond to tickets.
Lovely system they have...

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

this and your fault for not using an ad blocker

how is anyone not using an ad blocker

Yeah Jesus. Especially in yospos.

Also, I'm always surprised when enterprise networks don't have piholes/ad-blacklists set up. Always seems like low-hanging fruit wrt cutting down on malware vectors.

Also, one of the few policies that both makes things safer AND more usable.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Also, I'm always surprised when enterprise networks don't have piholes/ad-blacklists set up. Always seems like low-hanging fruit wrt cutting down on malware vectors.

ours did and I would regularly get tickets that xyz major website is blocked (they had googled it and clicked the promoted link; we had google's referral link blocked)

but yes still a good idea

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I watch twitch on my ps4 so I can't adblock.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

that’s what a pihole is for

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s what a pihole is for

piholes are for people too stupid to run basic services on equipment they already own

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rolling deep dns here yo

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

fishmech posted:

piholes are for people too stupid to run basic services on equipment they already own

Please don't doxx me

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

El Mero Mero posted:

Please don't doxx me

Don't quote sty...wait a minute that's not stymie!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Salt Fish posted:

Don't quote sty...wait a minute that's not stymie!

the stymiest kid in america

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

looking out my google chrome window
wikipedia articles scrolling by
I sit here alone; no one wonders why

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This except I almost never use Twitch. Of course I have an adblocker for regular browsing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This except I almost never use Twitch. Of course I have an adblocker for regular browsing.

I use twitch as background noise when I work from home p much

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

I use twitch as background noise when I work from home p much

same - my fiance thought it was weird until she realized it's just on in the background to fill the air

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I too pretend not to enjoy twitch because I'm trying to keep up my rep in yospos.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i prefer to watch twitch things edited up a bit for youtube, since many twitch streams are on when i don't want to watch things. god bless

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mad Wack posted:

same - my fiance thought it was weird until she realized it's just on in the background to fill the air

Same and visting my parents for Christmas, they think it's hella weird for some reason. They have brought it up on about every occasion possible that I just leave Bob Ross or whatever going all the time. This is in contrast to them just leaving at least one of their seven TVs on to blare whatever hell-consumerist bullshit happens to be cycling through at all times.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fishmech posted:

fuk u fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wasabi the J posted:

fuk u fishmech

lol u bought a trash british computer when you coulda just used a hosts file

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

that's what music is for

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idk, the latest pihole release supports regex filters, and some firewall rules on the router can catch devices with fixed dns and route them to the local dns explicitly despite limited configuration on the device

i think the mistake is treating it as a computer solution and not a way to filter down junk on streaming and other embedded devices. its better served as filtering for locked devices than as adblock for a full pc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agile Vector posted:

idk, the latest pihole release supports regex filters, and some firewall rules on the router can catch devices with fixed dns and route them to the local dns explicitly despite limited configuration on the device

i think the mistake is treating it as a computer solution and not a way to filter down junk on streaming and other embedded devices. its better served as filtering for locked devices than as adblock for a full pc

you should run those things on your router, a device you already possess, instead of buying the modern Grundy NewBrain to run it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

El Mero Mero posted:

We are an ad-tech company, so no blocking ads at the edge for us. :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

We are an ad-tech company, so no blocking ads at the edge for us. :waycool:

i still find it a bit amusing facebook's ad buying interface warns about using an ad-blocker if one is detected.

• Locked thread