Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fishmech posted:

you should run those things on your router, a device you already possess, instead of buying the modern Grundy NewBrain to run it

You don't know what the pihole software does or how so why are you talking poo poo about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

You don't know what the pihole software does or how so why are you talking poo poo about it?

hm yeah, i wonder why fishmech of all people would be arguing just for the sake of arguing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Salt Fish posted:

the pihole is a program you put on the computer you wasted $35 on getting because you thought it would be a good idea to buy something to blink an led, because you were too stupid to get a functional router or use a hosts file. it is reccomended solely between similar incompetent nerds.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
i wish i could pihole ur posts

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

flakeloaf posted:

in a move literally everyone saw coming (yet continues to cause shock and astonishment), GSK has bought 23andme

hmmm, I wonder if this is going to cause issues under gdpr in some way. i mean it's unlikely since they have more money than god. at the end of the day i guess id rather a pharma company have my dna than like... facebook

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

the pihole is a program you put on the computer you wasted $35 on getting because you thought it would be a good idea to buy something to blink an led, because you were too stupid to get a functional router or use a hosts file. it is reccomended solely between similar incompetent nerds.

an rpi probably has more processing power and ram than a home router

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The rpi is smarter than the smartest kid in america, fishmech.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

fishmech posted:

do you really think dns blackholing is something that can be trivially accomplished by anyone manually editing their hosts file?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Do. Not. Engage. Fishmech.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

crazysim posted:

i still find it a bit amusing facebook's ad buying interface warns about using an ad-blocker if one is detected.

if you have an ad-blocker running it will often gently caress up the preview, which is a source of no small number of support issues

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

abigserve posted:

do you really think dns blackholing is something that can be trivially accomplished by anyone manually editing their hosts file?

Yes, by definition

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

now tell us why it's a moral imperative to use gentoo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The thing I hate most about docker containers is being required to run them on a raspberry pi.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fishmech posted:

you should run those things on your router, a device you already possess, instead of buying the modern Grundy NewBrain to run it

i didnt buy extra hardware, what are you talking about

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

they’re talking about something they don’t understand for the sake of winding you up, don’t engage

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agile Vector posted:

wow even worse, you had one around

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

fishmech posted:

Yes, by definition

Most bad domain lists are thousands of hosts long and change on an hourly basis so good luck with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
new thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878062

• Locked thread