Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like Harry Potter but just like literally anything, never go too deep. It makes you look dumb at best. Just like what you like and don't be weird about it, drat.

That's not directed at anyone itt, just my general take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's kind of fascinating to think about the parallel universe where after Cuaron directed Prisoner of Azkaban, they made a point of either keeping him or going with increasingly out there and interesting directors who could really elevate the material. Mike Newell was kind of an interesting - if safe - choice for Goblet of Fire but they really should have gone with somebody who could have played up/developed even further the awkward teenage romances/disastrous attempts at dating that give some actual soul to the story (and are the best thing about the film, too).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
A lot of people grew up with Harry Potter. Quite literally. I don't know if there's ever going to be anything like it again. I'm a fan of Harry Potter but I wish Rowling would leave Harry Potter alone and stop changing details about the series.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I saw Widows tonight instead.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i saw ferris beueller with alan ruck in attendance for some interview thing. some fuckin Goofs repeated every joke back to themselves and wooped & Hollered at the big references. Well, needless to say, shame on them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

A lot of people grew up with Harry Potter. Quite literally. I don't know if there's ever going to be anything like it again. I'm a fan of Harry Potter but I wish Rowling would leave Harry Potter alone and stop changing details about the series.

Yeah one thing I always dug about the series was that the main character roughly aged the same as the target audience - for a lot of people, they grew up reading Harry Potter as a contemporary/peer who was going through a lot of the same poo poo they were, only with magic.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Harry Potter was great when I was a kid but Rowling retconning so much stuff in her books to get a pat on the back is really gross. Not even things like trying to claim Hermoine was always black despite her describing her as a white girl in the books more than once, but even simple things like trying to tell people Draco Malfoy was supposed to be a Gryffindor, like come on you don't believe that, nobody believes that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I do think it’s astounding how Harry Potter manages to find new generations of kids. It’s become like Star Wars in that way.

The first book came out when I was about 10. I read the first 4 before losing interest. 20 years later my 10 year-old niece is obsessed with the books. That’s staying power.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who the gently caress cares about harry potter Andrzej Sapkowski is writing another witcher book

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

Harry Potter was great when I was a kid but Rowling retconning so much stuff in her books to get a pat on the back is really gross. Not even things like trying to claim Hermoine was always black despite her describing her as a white girl in the books more than once, but even simple things like trying to tell people Draco Malfoy was supposed to be a Gryffindor, like come on you don't believe that, nobody believes that.

She never actually said Hermione was always black and actually she's never explicitly described as white as far as I recall so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Not to mention she only said what she did on that to piss of whiny overly fragile and probably racist white people so I'm not sure where the bad is tbh.

Oh and I hadn't heard the Malfoy thing and looked it up and that's about the actor who played him getting sorted into Gryffindor on Pottermore, the huge HP-verse site thing and her saying she knew that about the actor, not the character.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 17, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/bafeldman/status/607924079379644417?s=21

I like JKR but this tweet always makes me laugh

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

SamuraiFoochs posted:

She never actually said Hermione was always black and actually she's never explicitly described as white as far as I recall so I don't know where you're getting that from.

harry potter sucks

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
"It's the strangest thing, every time I go to type in B-L-A-C-K I somehow always auto correct it to W-H-I-T-E."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbin posted:

harry potter sucks

My bad I don't dissect it that much.

Either way from what I recall, all JKR ever really sad was "There's no real aspect of her character that's really contingent on race so she could be black and I don't know why anyone would be so upset about a different interpretation."

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I've recently watched two disney movies: The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch and they seemed so different from other disney animated shows in terms of lack of musical numbers. It makes me wonder if these movies were relatively successful. Also, netflix seems to not want to work on my laptop for some reason that I can't figure out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TV Zombie posted:

I've recently watched two disney movies: The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch and they seemed so different from other disney animated shows in terms of lack of musical numbers. It makes me wonder if these movies were relatively successful. Also, netflix seems to not want to work on my laptop for some reason that I can't figure out.

The former did okay, the latter was actually really successful, to the point where it's still getting spinoff series

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hermione being played by a black actress is cool, “Dumbledore was always gay but I couldn’t be bothered to put that in the text of the books or subsequent movies” is lame

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hermione being played by a black actress is cool, “Dumbledore was always gay but I couldn’t be bothered to put that in the text of the books or subsequent movies” is lame
I don't have issues if it was there in the first place, it's the pandering that's gross to me, especially if there was absolutely no hint or supported evidence ever, before.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

The former did okay, the latter was actually really successful, to the point where it's still getting spinoff series

There's a hawaiian themed hotel at Disney World. In the restaurant, you can meet Lilo and Stitch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

To be fair, there is a pretty heavy subtext present in his story about his summer with Grindelwald.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Dumbledore being gay was kinda in the books if you squint. But lol at Rowling anytime she tried to use it to show how progressive and cool she is. I like the books, I like Rowling, but her writing and world is a very specific white british world and she's only expanded it as diversity has become a thing that we more openly talk about. The reaction and popularity of HP would of been wildly different if it had an openly gay mentor figure to a 10 year old boy in 1997.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, there is a pretty heavy subtext present in his story about his summer with Grindelwald.

In itself it’s kinda hosed up how this stuff is usually subtext. By no means is that a Rowling-exclusive issue, but it’s more damning from her because she certainly had and has enough leverage/pull these days that these instances of representation she praises long after the fact can be far more openly known/less hard to look for than they are

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think we should agree as a society that gender and race cannot translate from literature to cinema. This seems so nonsensical to go round and round on. If I want Angelina Jolie to play as Peter Parker, you'll have to accept it because it will be awesome.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I only watched the first Harry Potter film and it was OK, and my sister tried to get me into the books when they first came out and I thought the writing was nothing special. I don't fully understand its popularity but that's fine, people can enjoy what they want.

But the grown adults who compare every loving thing to Harry Potter are a goddamn blight, doubly so when it's serious subject matter. I've thankfully never heard it in person but it's all over the internet and its painful.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I liked Harry Potter as a kid, although the stuff with the banking goblins and the happily enslaved elves always felt skeevy to me.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TTBF posted:

I liked Harry Potter as a kid, although the stuff with the banking goblins and the happily enslaved elves always felt skeevy to me.

lmfao the banker poo poo is so funny though, Sorry i didn't know hooknosed greedy handrubbing goblin bankers were a negative stereotype :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm legitimately depressed today and it's about something that I don't think anybody would really understand and it makes me feel like a dick for being sad about it and I'm feeling bad about work/money and goddamn I just gotta push through and I will but it feels awful so if anyone has any suggestions for feel good entertainment it would be very helpful. Thanks pals. :)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Watch the movie Hot Rod.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm legitimately depressed today and it's about something that I don't think anybody would really understand and it makes me feel like a dick for being sad about it and I'm feeling bad about work/money and goddamn I just gotta push through and I will but it feels awful so if anyone has any suggestions for feel good entertainment it would be very helpful. Thanks pals. :)
https://www.teamgaki.com/24-hour-tag/

It's on Dailymotion so IDK if you can cast it but Gaki is good, silly fun.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

https://www.teamgaki.com/24-hour-tag/

It's on Dailymotion so IDK if you can cast it but Gaki is good, silly fun.

I can work with Dailymotion. I can do it via my Roku or it works in my tablet's browser. Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it. :)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can work with Dailymotion. I can do it via my Roku or it works in my tablet's browser. Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it. :)
If you enjoy this and fall down the rabbit hole of Gaki, there's literally weeks and weeks upon content to watch and it's all great. It kinda just lives or dies on whether or not you're into subtitles and if you like situational comedy. Gaki loosely inspired American TV like Jackass and Viva La Bam, along with other side-projects like Silent Library

If you find yourself into it shoot me a DM because there's tons and tons of stuff to watch

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 18, 2018

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TTBF posted:

Watch the movie Hot Rod.

Yeah watch hot rod

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Macgruber too

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I second 24 hour tag.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I think those movies were doomed the moment they said David Yates would be directing. He somehow manages to make everything so dull, which considering the source material for the last 3 Harry Potter films and the budget he's got is actually kinda extraordinary.

It probably also doesn't help that Eddie Redmayne (Oscar winning actor Eddie Redmayne!) just seemed to decide to do a weird 11th Doctor cosplay for his performance too.

Seriously this can't be said enough. It's a shame they couldn't keep Cuaron for the rest of the movies. David Yates managed to make the most important parts of the Deathly Hallows movies so loving droll.

I never understood why they kept him after Order of the Phoenix, IT MADE SUCH A GOOD BOOK SO VISUALLY BORING. And it only got loving worse! Argh I can't believe I'm still so salty at that poo poo.

Jerusalem posted:

It's kind of fascinating to think about the parallel universe where after Cuaron directed Prisoner of Azkaban, they made a point of either keeping him or going with increasingly out there and interesting directors who could really elevate the material. Mike Newell was kind of an interesting - if safe - choice for Goblet of Fire but they really should have gone with somebody who could have played up/developed even further the awkward teenage romances/disastrous attempts at dating that give some actual soul to the story (and are the best thing about the film, too).

Newell was weird because he thought it was good directing to severely cut the Quidditch World Cup, and make Dumbledore a frothing at the mouth rage-a-holic.

Hindsight when it came to small poo poo like that, would have visually fleshed out your cinematic world with the inclusion of more and more magical cultures in one spot, now that they're just writing new novels on the fly for more movies would have at least established a precedent.

But then again Rowling's view on anything not overtly British was as shallow as a puddle. So it's really not a good thing to trust her on it I guess.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 18, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Watch random episodes of MXC on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJjlIuNfVxg

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 18, 2018

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

my suggestion is the korean comedy / variety show called "men on a mission" on netflix. I believe it is also known elsewhere as "knowing bros" and can probably be found online pretty easily.

The very start is kinda rough because they have no idea what they're doing with the show, although the cast is already likeable. once they enter the 'we're in a school and our guests are visiting from another school' format, you're good to go

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Please tell us more about how you are upset by changes to the canon of children's novels.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chill out folks, here’s a puppy boofing at his own hiccups :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QslV86odco

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 18, 2018