Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I legitimately do not care for the Marvel movies but I don't think they're bad. I also wasn't a fan of the Nolan Batman films so I think modern superhero films just aren't my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hot fuzz is the best action movie of the last 20 years, don’t @ me

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Suplex Liberace posted:

All superhero movies except the spirit, hellboy 1&2, deadpool 2, and x-men 2 are bad and should be ignored.

No blade bad list

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

tbh I'd more willingly watch whatever shoujo harem action trash that comes off the anime assembly line than hollywood's summer action trash. But I think that speaks more about my tastes than the death of art.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

They make like 600 movies a year just ignore the 6 superhero ones

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

You don't even have to watch all of them. I've been able to make judgements based on trailers and have managed to go "yeah I don't need to see that" to several of the Marvel movies and have missed nothing really. I eventually saw Black Panther on Netflix, (which was probably the worst Marvel film I've seen) but I've managed to avoid burnout or feeling overwhelmed by the number of them by not watching the ones that look mediocre. It's very easy to do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Only thing I didn't like about the Black Panther movie was how much they shoehorned in the CIA guy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Basically just think of CD as being full of the people who routinely go on Twitter and wrestling news site comments sections to defend WWE against even the tiniest of perceived slights, and who claim that Vince's every booking decision is really just some genius-level stuff that the rest of us plebes are just too dense to understand, man. :smug:
I was thinking more of the kind of wrestling twitter where they poo poo talking a Takeover and get weird about thigh slapping and Johnny Gargano looking at his hands.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This sounds like CD has the same brain worms my friend has who argues that the prequels are better than the new Star Wars movies and are actually good because George Lucas had a VISION, man

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

This sounds like CD has the same brain worms my friend has who argues that the prequels are better than the new Star Wars movies and are actually good because George Lucas had a VISION, man

But the Marvel movies have a Vision too.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
making money is a vision i guess?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Cobra Kai is really good. Season 2 is real fun so far.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

Only thing I didn't like about the Black Panther movie was how much they shoehorned in the CIA guy.
the cgi in the last bit of the last fight was atrocious

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I THINK YOU SHOULD LEAVE WITH TIM ROBINSON on Netflix is f'n incredible. Sketch comedy, and just the way some of the sketches escalate is amazing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

the cgi in the last bit of the last fight was atrocious

I've seen lots of terrible CGI. Black Panther was not one of them. Go watch Shibuya 15 or Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger if you want to see CGI fast tracked on someone's budget iMac.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

I've seen lots of terrible CGI. Black Panther was not one of them. Go watch Shibuya 15 or Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger if you want to see CGI fast tracked on someone's budget iMac.
yes im sure those 15 year old japanese television shows had both the tech and the budget of disney/marvel in 2018 and are a good and fair comparison

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

yes im sure those 15 year old japanese television shows had both the tech and the budget of disney/marvel in 2018 and are a good and fair comparison

Lupinranger was last year, boss.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when i saw blade 2 and the cgi ninjas looked much worse than final fantasy playstation 1 cutscenes i went like this, "huh." and that was that

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

hot fuzz is the best movie of the last 20 years, don’t @ me

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drew McIntyre posted:

i'd just like to say that i think every poster here has their own unique voice, which all come together to form a beautiful tapestry full of different textures and fragrances. we are like a bag of artisanal bespoke granola, where every piece in the bag is unique. there is only one pretzel stick, one vanilla chip, one strange nut covered in chocolate that isn't sweet, and so on. and even though we may form individual "handfuls," the bag is meant to be eaten in one sitting and to be considered one whole experience. and the way each person experiences eating that bag of granola will be unique depending on the handfuls they take. the bag is a commentary on the nature of chaos, which i think is a good summary of what we do together here in this subforum.

I agree but I am unsure what ingredient I am. Probably an acquired taste that many people do not like.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i saw avengers at a special 7am screening yesterday and am very happy with it as someone who enjoys their general formula, possibly my favourite

i look forward to hearing more of it in this thread and similarly chill places in sa

if you're on the fence but generally enjoy the films or some of the main characters, please go for it. but if you don't enjoy them or are burned out on the formula, skip it as usual

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

Lupinranger was last year, boss.
that doesn’t make your original post any less stupid

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got an amazing compliment today that touched my heart to the point that I almost got teary eyed in a room with several people.

So I speak monthly to a group of people at a peer support center for mental health and substance use disorders (for free) and today there was this young guy there, probably late teens early 20's, and he went from saying he was really struggling with withdrawal (what from I don't know) before the meeting to literally looking me in the eye and saying that I make him feel like I give him armor by creating the environment to share and be vulnerable but also sharing what I've persevered through by the end.

I'm just a guy tryna make some tough lives a little bit brighter for people in tougher spots than me. People talking to me like I'm a hero and poo poo. Feels good man. :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

hot fuzz is the best action movie of the last 20 years, don’t @ me

It's real loving good, agreed.

Also The World's End has some of the best fight scene choreography I've seen in a long time and I still wish we'd gotten to see Edgar Wright's take on Antman.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I got an amazing compliment today that touched my heart to the point that I almost got teary eyed in a room with several people.

So I speak monthly to a group of people at a peer support center for mental health and substance use disorders (for free) and today there was this young guy there, probably late teens early 20's, and he went from saying he was really struggling with withdrawal (what from I don't know) before the meeting to literally looking me in the eye and saying that I make him feel like I give him armor by creating the environment to share and be vulnerable but also sharing what I've persevered through by the end.

I'm just a guy tryna make some tough lives a little bit brighter for people in tougher spots than me. People talking to me like I'm a hero and poo poo. Feels good man. :unsmith:

This is a good post. Feels good man. We need more rays of loving sunshine in this world.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Awesome man just remember these things when your feeling low you are helping people and its the greatest thing we as humans can do.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Artelier posted:

i saw avengers at a special 7am screening yesterday and am very happy with it as someone who enjoys their general formula, possibly my favourite

i look forward to hearing more of it in this thread and similarly chill places in sa

if you're on the fence but generally enjoy the films or some of the main characters, please go for it. but if you don't enjoy them or are burned out on the formula, skip it as usual

Saw it last night and it hit all the marvel notes if youve enjoyed their previous stuff this is to me a great wrap up on 11 years of film

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

fart blood posted:

If the rumors are true and we do get a Professor/Merged Hulk incarnation before a Dale Keown style Gray Hulk incarnation I’m revolting.

YOU SURE ARE! ahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Cobra Kai S2 is real good. I can see the Demetri character being people's least favorite (especially with the son's reduced screentime), but I really liked him this season. My favorite new character was Tory, tho Stingray was real good too.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I agree but I am unsure what ingredient I am. Probably an acquired taste that many people do not like.

You are great.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Senerio posted:

Cobra Kai is really good. Season 2 is real fun so far.

Was just gonna post this - it's a shame it's stuck on youtube because it's better than most things on netflix or amazon prime and youtube red is never going to be a thing

For any of you who haven't seen it - you don't have to have liked the Karate Kid movies a lot to enjoy Cobra Kai - it's very much it's own thing. I mean it helps - but it stands on its own.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah the premise sounds cool, Cobra Kai getting revenge on that lovely Karate Kid by out-honoring him. I'll wait until it drops on an actual streaming platform tho.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't watched S2 yet, but I loved S1.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like how they slowly built to the reversal of Miguel and Robbie in Season 1 and then further built to the re-reversal of them in Season 2.

Tory was good and we needed someone to be a foil for Sam, and she was good at it. The biggest thing I didn't like was the reduction of the screentime of the Cobra Kai students not named Hawk and Miguel in S2. I don't think nerdy kid and the other nerdy kid ever spoke with each other before the finale.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

coconono posted:

yeah the premise sounds cool, Cobra Kai getting revenge on that lovely Karate Kid by out-honoring him. I'll wait until it drops on an actual streaming platform tho.

Yeah season 1 more or less painting Daniel as the bad guy is a really cool twist that got me into the show in the first place. None of the characters really end up how you'd expect based on the tone of the movies and that's why the show is definitely it's own thing. It's far better in my opinion.

There's a crazy fight sequence in the last episode of season 2 that I won't spoil but dang I was not expecting it and everyone involved just goes for it

Edit: My first sentence was not a spoiler, by the way. The promos made Daniel look like a dick before the first episode even aired.

Season 2 just released and I'm already wanting season 3 to be here.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 25, 2019

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

dromal phrenia posted:

YOU SURE ARE! ahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

loving hell! I've been wanting a Gray Hulk or Merged Hulk movie since Peter David and Dale Keown's iconic Hulk run in the past but not like this! :gonk:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

There's a crazy fight sequence in the last episode of season 2 that I won't spoil but dang I was not expecting it and everyone involved just goes for it

This is putting it lightly. And for "only" a YouTube series it was very well shot and choreographed!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

starting to understand the loathing for DC's New52 reboot.

Just some select titles I'm glad I didn't buy off the rack:

Grifter, starts out promising then immediately nosedives into a really lovely Rob Liefeld generic comic book action nonsense.

Green Lantern, while not bad, completely ignores the continuity reboot(which is weird because I thought Geoff Johns was the major New52 creative).

John Constantine, strips all the charm of the dark horse character leaving a chain smoking drunk with lame magic powers. A shame because the TV show was really good.

Batman Year Zero feels like its missing a bunch of content. I wasn't really digging the New52 Batman to begin with because its less Worlds Greatest Detective and more bat-flavored Tony Stark.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CobiWann posted:

This is putting it lightly. And for "only" a YouTube series it was very well shot and choreographed!

That's why it's a shame it's stuck on one of the least popular streaming platforms - it's very well made and looks great.

Hopefully someday when youtube's premium service goes under they'll sell it to all the rest of the platforms so people can re-discover it that way. But as of right now I think it's the only good show they've got so I'm sure they'll keep it in a death grip until they give up on their paid service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

Grifter, starts out promising then immediately nosedives into a really lovely Rob Liefeld generic comic book action nonsense.

Hey remember when Grant Morrison and Jim Lee rebooted WildCATs and it lasted literally one issue because Jim Lee got distracted?