Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Robots sit in the back of the bus

That's really in the game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why would you make robots sit in the back of the bus? The back is awesome. you can stretch out a little more, make friends, shoot dice, its a good place.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have pretty good health insurance thankfully because I work for the state, but like someone said before Dental Insurance is basically worthless. Also it really pisses me off that somehow eye care and teeth care are not linked to "health" insurance. Apparently even though dental care has been linked to heart disease it's not really a health insurance issue. I have a giant gap between my back tooth and gums because a wisdom tooth is pushing the tooth out of the way but gently caress I'd rather live with the pain of an exposed nerve than waste my family's money.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vaguido posted:

Heavy Rain is an amazing piece of artwork. Beyond Two Souls is great too. I'm buying Detroit: Become Human on Friday and I'm excited to see what kind of insane fever dream David Cage has put together this time.

I'd be fine with David Cage's weird poo poo if it didn't come with so much awful poo poo for female characters, and not to mention actual human women like Ellen Paige dealing with the nude character models she didn't give permission to be made.

Like just take Madison for example. In the span of about 1 day she has a home invasion nightmare where she's running away from like 3 dudes with knives in her underwear, she's assaulted by a crazy man in a basement, she's forced at gunpoint to strip by a criminal and then she decides now's the time to start a romance with Ethan. It's really really gross.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

I'd be fine with David Cage's weird poo poo if it didn't come with so much awful poo poo for female characters, and not to mention actual human women like Ellen Paige dealing with the nude character models she didn't give permission to be made.

Like just take Madison for example. In the span of about 1 day she has a home invasion nightmare where she's running away from like 3 dudes with knives in her underwear, she's assaulted by a crazy man in a basement, she's forced at gunpoint to strip by a criminal and then she decides now's the time to start a romance with Ethan. It's really really gross.

Yeah this poo poo derails Heavy Rain real loving bad. Tomb Raider did a similar thing but that at least was just 'OH gently caress GNARLY' deaths rather than 'Oh man sure hope this doesn't become a awful rape/snuff scene in this game' that Heavy Rain does.

Huge chunks of HR felt like it was made for those creeps who post long compilations of women in video games getting murdered on youtube.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Tomb Raider felt like it was them trying to do a Dead Space thing with death scenes, but yeah it got a little weird at points.

I will admit that Cage does a load of creepy poo poo that makes his work questionable but I can't get over the really bad writing, the awful ideas he has for a general plot, and the voice actors not being able to speak correctly because he hires non-native speakers to voice American main characters in an english speaking game. It has all of the best and worst aspects a B movie has and I can't stop consuming it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah this poo poo derails Heavy Rain real loving bad. Tomb Raider did a similar thing but that at least was just 'OH gently caress GNARLY' deaths rather than 'Oh man sure hope this doesn't become a awful rape/snuff scene in this game' that Heavy Rain does.

Huge chunks of HR felt like it was made for those creeps who post long compilations of women in video games getting murdered on youtube.

You can find the same kind of nonsense in every single one of his games. It ranges from "man this guy just doesn't get women" to "holy gently caress this is dark". For example in Omicron he's said in interviews he made a part in the game specifically because he wanted to explore what it would be like to inhabit a guys body and have sex with his wife. Then in Beyond Two Souls there's the double alley scene when you're homeless and we get to explore what it's like to give a blowjob for some food/money. That was fun. And not gross at all. Frankly Indigo Prophecy is the tamest of them all. That one just involves zombie love scenes after they meet for like a day.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Until Dawn made David Cage and his company irrelevant.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Chris James 2 posted:

I love James Harden

the old sleep walking dick toucher root beer barrel jim barqs Harden

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DoctorGonzo posted:

Until Dawn made David Cage and his company irrelevant.

This 100%.

Cage got a semi-pass from me because he was the only dude working in a very interesting field that could have become a huge amazing genre in gaming. For all of their flaws each of Cage's games had these nuggets of outstanding ideas that just needed a skilled team to work with.

Until Dawn was someone taking Cage's playing field and dominating it. I honestly can only hope Cage wants to one up them with Detroit and we get something awesome.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Until Dawn was very strong and I enjoyed it. I don't know if Supermassive just got lucky with their first try or not though. They did another game, Hidden Agenda, that I liked quite a bit, but I don't hear anyone ever talking about that one. It's a little more gimmicky in that you need to use a smartphone to control the actions of the characters, and it was considerably shorter for the sake of the multiplayer "game" you can play with it (basically you can be secretly told to try to steer the story a certain way and people need to figure out who's going against the group).

I don't know if they're doing another full movie video game like Until Dawn, but I hope they do. I just find the whole genre interesting because there's so many ways to do it right and wrong and they can be entertaining for different reasons.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is a hot take but Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6 does David Cage's whole movie as a game deal a lot better then he does.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

even tho I didn't like it, I thought Mafia III was a great Movie as a Game deal. It also tried to be a gang simulator and failed miserably at it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yakuza are great "movies as games" but also with a whole bunch of game in it if you want it. Like you basically have to shut your brain off to go from super serious yakuza crime drama to real estate management minigames with money battles. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also in regards to Quantic Dreams, the studio overall got better as time went on, in regards to their artists and programmers. The jump in quality since even just Indigo Prophecy is amazing. Hell I'm even willing to pin the control schemes on David Cage because he probably thought it was more artistic to steer your character like a race car. I'd love to see what that company could put out without him.

But then again, he's a name in the business and maybe he's the reason they get projects.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have never been able to truck with Quantic Dream games. Like, it annoys me less when I play a Skyrim or a Fallout 4 and the story is subpar because the immersive act of playing the game balances the suckiness of the plot, but Heavy Rain and Beyond had bad stories and characters and nothing else to do in the game but spend time with them. Omikron and Fahrenheit were by far worse games than either of them, but they were at least weird.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Omikron is a game that was created where the creator tried his very best to make sure no one would be able to finish it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Also the first Black & White. I don't think anyone got past feeding villagers to the monster

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still don't understand how that Ellen Page stuff didn't get Cage blacklisted forever. If it had happened just a little more recently maybe it would have gotten more traction than it did, but goddamn that whole thing was just gross as poo poo and I feel uncomfortable just thinking about it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Reminder David Cage has admitted that when he met Ellen Paige he'd been staring at photos of her from the age 8 and onwards in a photo album. He's said this as if it wasn't creepy. That coupled with what later happened makes it extremly uncomfortable. David Cage is a scumbag and frankly I've stopped buying his games because of it. I hope he fails.

https://kotaku.com/the-video-game-that-began-with-pictures-of-ellen-page-1440500148

And David uses Ellen as a prop to prove he's not homophobic because of course he loving does.

https://www.destructoid.com/david-cage-can-t-be-homophobic-because-ellen-page-482453.phtml

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I liked the idea of Cage's games, but even if you can look part his creepiness for the sake of the art, his storylines are absolutely nonsensical and rely on Russo/Shyamalan level twists that turn interesting concepts into stupid shite.

I really enjoyed Until Dawn as people before have posted and would welcome more forays into Cage's turf by developers who can write half decent stories and aren't massive creeps.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!
Finally got around to playing Wasteland 2. Been enjoying it so far, it definitely feels like a much more updated and modern version of the original Fallout games. There are bits here and there where it feels like a slog, but that was present in Fallout 1 & 2 also, so I don't mind it so much.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Caps year

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
go knights

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Give me back to back to back Stanley Cup winning Conn Smythe MAF Vegas :argh:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The NHL is scripted.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Finally got around to playing Wasteland 2. Been enjoying it so far, it definitely feels like a much more updated and modern version of the original Fallout games. There are bits here and there where it feels like a slog, but that was present in Fallout 1 & 2 also, so I don't mind it so much.

Speaking of Fallout, I kinda wish they'd made an open ended version of the settlement management stuff. I liked making murder factories to chew up bandits and collect their bullets. The only other stuff like have zombies and I'm so sick of shooting zombies.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Jackie D posted:

Caps year

wasn't worried

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Depression sucks rear end my dudes. I hope no one else here feels that way. God bless.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I always root for the team with no championships when my team inevitably loses. Since caps are the bigger losers in this scenario, Go Caps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Go Caps #ALLCAPS

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Depression sucks rear end my dudes. I hope no one else here feels that way. God bless.

It comes and goes. Or at least I think that's what it is. It could be low self-esteem too. I have a pretty good life but sometimes don't feel like I deserve it. Still I feel good right now so there's that :)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Fallout 4 is a really fun game but man oh man is that main quest line garbage. The big twist in the climax is hilariously obvious in the first half hour of the game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Fallout 4 is a really fun game but man oh man is that main quest line garbage. The big twist in the climax is hilariously obvious in the first half hour of the game.

Also every other quest line is garbage, because the only thing you can do in Fallout 4 is shoot people. Words cannot express how disappointing the Combat Zone was.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I installed a mod that changes the big twist and alters a bunch of dialogue in the game to make it less stupid, and it was a much better experience up until I got to the endgame and it became clear there was only so much they could do with characters whose only line of dialogue was being breathlessly in awe of you.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It sucks because Fallout is my favorite open world game series and we won't get another for like a loving decade probably.

I really don't give a poo poo about Elder Scrolls, I'm not really into fantasy.

Taking a little break from Obscure Videos:

Here's one of my favorite videos of all time, a kid microwaves a glowstick and ruins his awesome shirt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUSQm5ZskQ

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2018

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vaguido posted:

Heavy Rain is an amazing piece of artwork. Beyond Two Souls is great too. I'm buying Detroit: Become Human on Friday and I'm excited to see what kind of insane fever dream David Cage has put together this time.

Heavy Rain is loving garbage

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Ya know between these David Cage stories I never heard before (i'm not much of a gamer) and the new allegations against Morgan Freeman, I'm starting to think we men might be creeps and women might have it tough in the world.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bradzilla posted:

Heavy Rain is loving garbage

Heavy Rain has a shitload of flaws but the game's twist is masterfully done and might be one of coolest plot twists integrated into gameplay in gaming history.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Heavy Rain has a shitload of flaws but the game's twist is masterfully done and might be one of coolest plot twists integrated into gameplay in gaming history.

Really? From what I recall there are massive holes that don't hold up to even the most cursory scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

OldTennisCourt posted:

Really? I thought the twist was dumb as heck.

EDIT:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Really? From what I recall there are massive holes that don't hold up to even the most cursory scrutiny.

Yeah that.