Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Is this one of those hyperbole thi-

Oh God.

Then I watched the trailer. Holy poo poo it's awful and so unbelievably tryhard edgy. "gently caress Batman!" while snapping necks and shooting dudes. Has this script been drifting around since the 90s?

all the stuff they did with Raven's face looked like a god danged instagram filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
its not even "gently caress Batman!" its just "gently caress Batman."

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

You expected anything less from the DC cinema division at the moment?

Hey lets be like marvel but without the groundwork and also we'll just make all our films grimdark borefests

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On the flip side I finally saw the preview for the new Halloween and that looks awesome. I am 100% behind crazy old lady Laurie hearing Michael is back, grabbing a gun and going "Good, this motherfucker is going to die"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah the new Halloween looks great, but I'm also a sucker for any (non Rob Zombie) Halloween movie so I'd probably have gone to see it anyway. The fact it looks good is just a bonus! :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
From all accounts, they're completely disregarding the whole "Michael Myers and Laurie Strode are siblings" thing as established in previous movies, too. They wanted to make it as direct a sequel to the original Halloween as possible.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sydney Bottocks posted:

From all accounts, they're completely disregarding the whole "Michael Myers and Laurie Strode are siblings" thing as established in previous movies, too. They wanted to make it as direct a sequel to the original Halloween as possible.

I thought they mentioned the sibling connection in the trailer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There is a bit in the trailer where some teenagers are talking, one of them says "Aren't they brother and sister?" and another goes "That's a myth"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Is this one of those hyperbole thi-

Oh God.

Then I watched the trailer. Holy poo poo it's awful and so unbelievably tryhard edgy. "gently caress Batman!" while snapping necks and shooting dudes. Has this script been drifting around since the 90s?

its goes so far into the edgy territory that it has to be an elaborate prank. Some exec looked at the old Teen Titans material and said "well it has horny kids in a T shaped building facepunching literally Satan but it needs an edge" and the writer's pit responding with that trailer.

I laughed at "gently caress BATMAN" for a whole day. Anything that brings me that kinda joy in this hellworld is worth a few bucks.

coconono fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 23, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Wait, does this mean Ben Tramer is alive?!?

On a related note, the kiddo has decided she wants to watch all the Friday the 13th movies in order of release because she really wants to see Freddy vs. Jason and wants to make sure she knows all the backstory. I am not making this up.

We watched the original the other night...and she was SO pissed that Jason wasn't the killer. She kept yelling "WHERE'S THE HOCKEY MASK COBI, WHERE'S THE HOCKEY MASK?!?"

We're watching Part 2 when she gets back from summer camp in two weeks. :getin:

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 23, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Pammy was creepier than Jason anyway, really

KILL HER MOMMY KILL HER

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/prattprattpratt/status/1021170389437755392

https://twitter.com/TylerHuckabee/status/1021172402364067843

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I got brain worms from reading the rest of that thread

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm the dude burying Henry Cavill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Pammy was creepier than Jason anyway, really

KILL HER MOMMY KILL HER

Yeah, she was a way creepier killer.

The Friday the 13th movies are great fun though, they get so unbelievably ridiculous and they'll be a fun set of memories for the two of you :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Craft services $200
Sets $150
CGI $800
Bill Goldberg $1,000,000
Smoke machine $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my movie is dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpyQkjRc9rg

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I saw the Princess Bride at a drive-in this weekend and it loving ruled. If you have a drive-in near you, go to it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Cavauro posted:

can't fucken wait

jesus christ

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I was skeptical about the standalone Aquaman film, given that DC's cinematic universe was previously handled by a Randian fanboy with a grimdark aesthetic fetish. But after watching the trailer, I'm actually interested in seeing it now. If it's basically "Thor: Ragnarok, but underwater", I'll be pleased.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have far more faith in James Wan than I do in Zack Snyder so I'm not discounting it completely just yet.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

lol this sounds exactly like what happened to Devil May Cry.

Holy poo poo it is. DMC5 looks hype though, hopefully DR5 follows suit.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
so an acquaintance took me to see John Cleese do a live show. i didn't really know what that meant but i figured it would be good to see Cleese in person before he died. well, they made the crowd watch the entirety of Holy Grail before Cleese showed up. sitting in a packed theater in Brooklyn hearing people laugh at the Knights Who Say Ni was like being in hell. i hadn't seen Holy Grail since i was a kid and man, it's barely a movie.

Anyway Cleese shows up after the movie is done and he's being interviewed by his daughter on stage. his daughter asks him a bunch of really lame questions that were apparently taken from the audience. it was advertised as a Q&A session but i didn't see anywhere to ask a question.

Cleese looks like he's about 12 months pregnant. He's still really tall and he has thin stick legs but he's looking like octomom up there. he admits he's only doing this because he has to pay an ex-wife 20 million dollars. he shows us a drawing a fan made of his five cats. his daughter does 5 minutes of her stand-up routine which i think was something about dating in manhattan but i don't remember. Cleese laughs a lot and says it was fun being a Python, he laughs and says he had a good time doing the movie. he says Terry Gilliam mumbles, and people laugh at his impression of Gilliam mumbling. he tells a story about a prank call he made to Michael Palin. he says people don't know how to take a joke anymore and the audience applauds. then after an hour of this he says it's getting late and thanks us and that's it.

so if for some reason, you were thinking about seeing this, do not. it was sad and baffling and i don't even want to think about how much the tickets cost this person i went with. they even advertised that Cleese would "silly walk onto the stage" and he did no such thing. at one point his shoe fell off and he was unable to put it back on himself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a shame, I saw Cleese and Eric Idle's 2-man show and it was a lot of fun. They mixed it up with sketches they'd written back in the 60s/70s interspersed with each of them speaking to the audience individually while the other listened or they held a conversation between the two of them just about life in general and comedy specifically.

It wasn't the funniest show I'd ever seen but it was a nice look at two old guys taking a look back at long careers in comedy from the days when they were the subversive young dudes through to now being the traditional old school and somewhat stuffy guys.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jerusalem posted:

That's a shame, I saw Cleese and Eric Idle's 2-man show and it was a lot of fun. They mixed it up with sketches they'd written back in the 60s/70s interspersed with each of them speaking to the audience individually while the other listened or they held a conversation between the two of them just about life in general and comedy specifically.

It wasn't the funniest show I'd ever seen but it was a nice look at two old guys taking a look back at long careers in comedy from the days when they were the subversive young dudes through to now being the traditional old school and somewhat stuffy guys.

I went to see Ken Kesey (he wrote One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest) do a spoken word set about 20 years ago with Ken Babbs his friend and Merry Prankster. It was really cool hearing him read pieces, but the Q+A stuff was terrible, and Ken Babbs was just getting drunker and drunker, and he was clearly Not The Ken We Wanted To Hear From And He Knew It And Did Not Like It. Kesey was a lovely kind man who wrote beautifully. Some of the things he said made me want to cry. Ken Babbs can go gently caress himself.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I saw Bo Diddley a few months before he died at a small supper club in front of like maybe 200 people. Dude still had it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Funniest/worst show I ever saw was Danzig at the (now closed) Congress theater in Chicago.

He repeatedly bitched about how hot it was, took his shirt off, and tripped over a microphone cable. Good poo poo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I got lucky to see Rush during what turned out to be their farewell tour and even in their early-to-mid-60's they were loving amazing. I'm so glad that I got to see them one more time before they stopped touring. They started out playing a song from their most recent album on a stage stuffed with stuff and covered in lights with huge speakers and proceeded to work backwards through their library, one song from each album, and as they played the road crew broke down the stage so by the time they played the last song on their set list it was a stack speaker and amp, two electric guitars, and a small drum kit that Neil still crushed it on. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I also got to see Bill Cosby with my wife (a birthday present for her) just before the allegations broke. He still had it with some pretty funny stories (I was never a big fan of his, I was more a Richard Pryor guy) but it was SO weird growing with The Cosby Show and seeing him sitting in a chair for two hours just looking old.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I have far more faith in James Wan than I do in Zack Snyder so I'm not discounting it completely just yet.

Pretty much. Wan's a great director and I have confidence he can do...anything with the DCEU's material

If Aquaman sucks, and Shazam sucks, poo poo's hopeless

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Oh I saw Fleetwood Mac a couple of years ago, too. They were loving amazing, Lindsey Buckingham is an amazing guitarist. They were one of those bands that I thought 'Albatross' and 'Rumours' were on fairly constant rotation, so I never actually listened to it, it was just wallpaper. like the Beatles, where if it's on the radio you're aware of it but it sounds nothing special, just catchy.

Mick Fleetwood did a 10 minute drum solo, Buckingham did a 10 minute guitar solo, McVie came out (but didnt' sing, and she was a surprise to all) and it was great. It made me want to go see Paul Simon on that retirement tour, except I didn't bother.

Also some girl saw my flash tshirt and said 'Bazinga' at me and I hadn't seen the Big Bang Theory so I didn't know what she was talking about.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I went to see John Cleese this year too but while he admitted he was doing this for money it was actually an hour lecture on how there is no hope and everything sucks. Basically pure snark Cleese. It was wonderful.

Then they did a Q&A and it was all giggling manchildren asking about Monty Python. But still a good night.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Dumb Danzig fans that are idiots and stupid: "How come Danzig always bitches about cell phones at his shows?!"

Smart fans:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Funniest/worst show I ever saw was Danzig at the (now closed) Congress theater in Chicago.

He repeatedly bitched about how hot it was, took his shirt off, and tripped over a microphone cable. Good poo poo.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is there a big mess of a show currently than Walking Dead? Holy poo poo guys just end it, does anyone non-hate watch it anymore?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is there a big mess of a show currently than Walking Dead? Holy poo poo guys just end it, does anyone non-hate watch it anymore?

After Andrew Lincoln leaves, no

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Blast Fantasto posted:

I went to a Danzig show in London back around the time of Danzig III: How the Gods kill. Good show, but then it'd be hard not to have fun at a show where the drum riser was so tall and over-the-top that even Spinal Tap would say you needed to dial it down just a bit.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

OldTennisCourt posted:

WWE Monday Night Raw

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I went to a Danzig show in London back around the time of Danzig III: How the Gods kill. Good show, but then it'd be hard not to have fun at a show where the drum riser was so tall and over-the-top that even Spinal Tap would say you needed to dial it down just a bit.

I saw Danzig during that time too.

Then I saw him back in 2005.

The drum riser was significantly smaller but he had women with X's taped on their boobs while wearing nun's habits and skull masks dancing.

It's amazing how Danzig is so awful and so great at the same time.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Blast Fantasto posted:

Was that 2010? If so, you missed the part where he had two pizzas delivered to the bus afterwards and he was the only one on the bus.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The Guns n Roses reunion tour from last year was shockingly good. I came in fully expecting Fat Axl, and he wound up looking just fine. Also for Sweet Child of Mine he just shut the gently caress up and let us sing every last word, which was funny

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I saw Queens of the Stone Age a couple months back.

It was Josh Hommes birthday and he was so drunk. They played Song for the Dead to close out the show and it ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

The Guns n Roses reunion tour from last year was shockingly good. I came in fully expecting Fat Axl, and he wound up looking just fine. Also for Sweet Child of Mine he just shut the gently caress up and let us sing every last word, which was funny

I saw them with The Who last year. loving awesome show.