Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I liked the idea of Cage's games, but even if you can look part his creepiness for the sake of the art, his storylines are absolutely nonsensical and rely on Russo/Shyamalan level twists that turn interesting concepts into stupid shite.

I really enjoyed Until Dawn as people before have posted and would welcome more forays into Cage's turf by developers who can write half decent stories and aren't massive creeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

VJeff posted:

Anybody see Solo? Is it as pointless as I'm assuming it is?

I liked it well enough. Like the main guy doesn't feel like Han Solo at all but you get past that pretty quickly. The movie feels part of the Star Wars universe without feeling forced, and the cameo appearance is really interesting. Donald Glover as Lando is a highlight as you'd expect and I really liked Woody Harrelson's character even if everything that happens with him is super predictable.

The cameo appearance for those who've had their interest piqued but not enough to go see the movie is Darth Maul, who I apparently would have known survived if I'd watched the tie in cartoons?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

ive been staying in shibuya the last few days but taking a train to hiroshima in the morning

If you're going to Miyajima while you're there (you should), then I highly recommend staying the night there and not just doing a day trip if your schedule allows for it. It's wonderfully peaceful at night, and you can get up early to do the hike up to the top.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

piss tape israel posted:

One of my biggest accomplishments in high school was completely bullshitting my way through a book report about a book that didn't even exist and getting an A on it. This was back when the Internet was just hitting the mainstream and Google and Wikipedia were non-existent, so my English teacher had no way of finding out if I was full of poo poo unless she really wanted to put in the effort.

:corsair:

You made the book sound too amazing, and your English teacher has dedicated her life since that point trying to track down the book of her dreams as described in your book report. Her biggest regret will always be not finding that book. How does that make you feel?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd say Black Panther, Infinity War and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 are definitely the best of the ones I've seen. It might be recency bias on the first two. Ant-Man was really fun and nobody seems to mention in it in these kinds of conversations but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than some of the more serious ones. Age of Ultron was the worst of the ones I've seen.

I should probably watch Thor 3 if it's a more fun one because I prefer those to the more serious ones generally. I kinda assumed it would be super serious based off the name.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Against my better judgement, I played through the Detroit game. Despite the horrifically forced analogies to racism in America (androids literally have to stand at the back of the bus) it's actually pretty decent and there's no creepy poo poo or logic defying plot twist his time round (the only major twist is the little human girl you're protecting is actually an android too, and it actually got me as a player to think whether I considered her any less of a person lol).

The choices you make actually seem to make a difference unlike most other 'choices matter!' type games out there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mob posted:

Not only are most of the televised PSAs in the USA anti-smoking, but due to a lawsuit some years back they're also basically entirely funded by the cigarette companies. They don't mind because they aren't allowed to advertise on TV anymore and no amount of "Truth" commercials will help smoking cessation,.

Really? Anti-smoking adverts have been really successful in the UK. They really went in hard on showing the effects though and in making it socially unacceptable to smoke around other people.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vampyr is good but sometimes frustrating in combat. The atmosphere and the character interactions plus the whole thing about any major character being able to die based on your decisions feels like it was really inspired by that bizarre Russian game Pathologic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd lean towards discounts.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I liked it. Zahn McClarnon's episode was one of the best episodes of the entire series. I'm really interested to see where they go with it next season because the way it's set up, it has potential to really fall off a cliff.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My tooth filling fell out this morning and I was able to walk to the dentist and get it fixed all within half an hour for less than US$5. Also I've got a typhoon day off work despite the skies being blue now. I'm not sure why I'm leaving this country sometimes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

where are you again? Taiwan?

Yep. Affordable and efficient healthcare, but you do have to deal with almost daily encounters with cockroaches so swings and roundabouts.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Wait a god drat minute, there are two Baron Corbyns (corbines) posting ITT. What the gently caress is going on?

changed my username just for you, DoctorGonzo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Persona 5 may be one of the best games I've ever played.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So, uh, Foochs. What is your opinion of the most recent season of Bojack? You seem to have shown up in that thread at the absolute worst time lol

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

I want to watch the new Bojack but idk if my mental health is in a good enough place right now haha

If you're the kind of person who identifies a little with Bojack like I do then maybe not. I felt this weird feeling of guilt for some of the lovely things he did.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hows vampyr?

I feel like you ask this fairly often but it's okay. The gameplay gets kind of lovely if you don't start draining people for their blood but I guess that's kind of the point.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CobiWann posted:

At the kiddo’s request, saw Hocus Pocus last night for the first time. Really liked it, wished I had seen it earlier, however my best friend flipped when I told her I had never seen it before last night.

It’s apparently this big touchstone for my generation. I somehow missed that memo.

My first childhood crush was on Sarah Jessica Parker in this movie and I was so disappointed on going back to look this movie up when I was older that it was Sarah Jessica Parker.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Watching Ishii vs Kushida in Dublin rn

How was the show? My buddy said that WALTER/Ospreay, Thatcher/Suzuki and Davis/Davis were the standouts.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

I am off to rock and rage at sea. Will post photos soon!

Please give us all the funniest stories about the more odd passengers. I'm sure there'll be something to top "Bullet Babe detected" there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

I have rocked.

I have raged.

I watched wrestled.

At sea.

AMA

Did you detect any Bullet Babes?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The reviews I've read have been absolutely scathing. I liked the first one too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A Saudi Princess tweeted me her condolences about my dead dad.

https://twitter.com/PrincessBasmah/status/1068848663638740992?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just buy the stuff for yourself Foochs, you could get struck by lightning or bitten by a rabid dog on December 26th for all you know.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Going to NOAH and DDT in Sumo Hall this weekend to completely ignore the Rugby World Cup final is happening a few miles away. The thought of either England or South Africa winning is godawful.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think if FFXV and MGSV were finished properly they could have been two of the best games of all time. I also think I would have enjoyed FFXV a little more if the "four bros just on a road trip" segment were longer.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just bought Death Stranding. Hyped to spend the next sixty hours as a spooky postman.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The first 30 minute long cutscene came after about 10 minutes of running around. Hideo Kojima is definitely back.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Said 30 minute cutscene includes them saying the name of the game and Norman Reedus's bare rear end so it's off to a winning start.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The regular human enemies you encounter in Death Stranding are evil postmen so addicted to delivering mail that they attack passing messengers to steal their mail and put it into evil postboxes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Are...are you serious about the evil postboxes thing?
It's Kojima so you have to assume any statement about the game is true.

They deliver it to their own postboxes that are yellow instead of blue (and you can break into for supplies/other players' stolen mail) but I couldn't tell you if the postboxes themselves have the capacity for evil.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

coconono posted:

Twitter probated me for 12 hours for asking how robocop poops.

The only time I ever got suspended by Twitter was for tweeting with former KO-D Champion Konosuke Takeshita about tide pods and Twitter decided I was encouraging him to commit suicide. He received no punishment.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There was a spider living in my apartment for a few weeks until one day it was chilling on the front door and when I opened it to leave it jumped down and walked off and I kinda felt a little sad.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I maintain tanky controls were better for survival horror

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I had one of the worst human interactions I've had with a coworker during my lunch break. I was playing Pokemon and the guy walks in and sneers, "what are you playing? I've stopped playing video games since I started reading books." I humoured him by asking what he's reading and the fucker pulls out a copy of The Game, the pick up artist book. I could barely stifle a laugh, if that was a character interaction someone wrote to demonstrate someone was an obnoxious nerd, I'd have written it off as too heavy handed. (Guy isn't usually *that* bad)

Dangerous Person posted:

Much deeper into Death Stranding. It's still definitely not a game for everybody but I'm liking the pieces of MGSV I've been finding. Just did two really tense sections I had to stealth through while carrying too much cargo

Yeah, recency bias but it might be my favourite game of the decade. Could only recommend it to Kojima fans and even then if you go in expecting MGS then you'll be disappointed. Still, I've been doing endless fetch quests for the better part of 100 hours and am still engrossed.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone in the AEW thread bemoaned their Wednesday holiday party. I’m at corporate training this week and am at universal studios on Wednesday for an event. I would rather be home watching wrestling.

Apropos of nothing but I find America so weird. It’s basically the same as Canada but I get more of a culture shock coming here than going to some European country where nobody speaks English. The broad similarities just really make me focus on the little differences in a way that doesn’t happen when I travel elsewhere.

This is particularly true of southern US. At least in the North we share the cold.

I get culture shock worse in places that are mostly similar than places that are completely different. Like moving to Japan from Taiwan was weirder than moving to Taiwan from Wales because there's a lot of stuff that's familiar until it's not. Even small stuff like what's sold in a 7-11.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I thought Dr. Sleep was really good. (I'm not sure how old this movie is now, Japan gets movies late). It felt very very different from The Shining to the point where I'm not sure I'd even class it as a horror movie. I liked that they recast all the returning characters instead of using CGI to make them look like the original actors.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Ironically I felt it was at its best when it was just being its own thing rather than calling attention to the original film. The actor who played Wendy did a really good job but Jack was really lacking the quality of malice and barely concealed contempt that Nicholson had for everybody.

The psychic traveling stuff was done really, really well I thought.

Oh no, I agree with you. I'm just glad they didn't do the CGI thing. And totally agree about Jack. The actor they chose was in that weird spot where he was close enough to Nicholson to resemble him but far enough way that it felt wrong. Kind of like a bad lookalike

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Karmine posted:

I finished the book and then went to see the movie the next day. I actually thought the mo ir was better and I loving LOVE Stephen King.

How did you feel about The Shining as far as book vs. movie goes?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Taking 30 years to discover that mashed sweet potato is much better than normal mash is something I regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Spikegal posted:

Legitimate criticism quickly turns into women bashing or panic over the inclusion of people of color so it's hard to even take the side. I remember how dire it was wanting to enjoy the prequels so the new movies coming from that are amazing 4 fan like me. What's the wild to me is there some people who think the prequels are much better than any of the other movies and I just don't think I'll ever be able to relate to someone like that.

People who were young kids when they came out and haven't gone back to watch them/are blinded by nostalgia? I was 9 when Phantom Menace came out and I enjoyed it then. I found Attack of the Clones boring even as a kid then realised both were terrible when I rewatched them before Revenge of the Sith came out.