Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm feeling really good today, just got hired* for my first ever paying job^

*well technically there's some paperwork that needs to be processed for it, but whatever

^you would not believe how badly not being able to find work for an entire decade can affect one's self confidence and self esteem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

Anime is cool but have you tried Toku? You know like that Power Rangers and Ultraman poo poo? Its a wild ride, especially when you start thinking about the societal messages it reflects and amplifies.

I'm currently watching Metalder, a show about a WW2 robot patterned after a scientist's dead military son. Japan surrendered and Metalder was never deployed, and the project was so wild everyone including the Americans, happily forgot about it. So its not until present day(the 1980s) Metalder surfaces and starts taking the fight to bad guy, God Neros(dude looks like Super Saiyin version of Donald Trump). The 1980s japanese disco synthpop aesthetics are on full display woven in among stories about people and their places in society.

Agreed, Tokusatsu is great, here's some recommendations that are easily streamed;

Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Riders

Crunchyroll
Ultraman Mebius
Ultraman Geed

Shout Factory TV
Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger
Gosei Sentai Dairanger
Ninja Sentai Kakuranger
Chouriki Sentai Ohranger
Denji Sentai Megaranger

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Is FLCL streamed in its entirety anywhere?

Hulu has it, but not the dubbed version

coconono posted:

Amazon Riders is a must watch if you love wild blood fests, easily one of my faves of the Kamen Rider genre. While Amazons will most definitely be the last of the grittier Kamen Riders, it easily hits all the notes the other shows were trying to get. Body dysmorphia, rampant corporate greed, and transhumanism all jammed together in a bloody action story.

Great stuff.

Kamen Rider W is cool too, whoever said that is cool.

Agreed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Better idea, move all comic characters into the public domain

There's already plenty of great superheroes in the public domain

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Look out Hollywood, here comes Stardust the Space Wizard

Super Wizard, not Space Wizard

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

The Caps are going to win this series and I'm going to be mad online despite the fact that we won back to back Cups and the Caps are going to get shithoused by Tampa.

So go Vegas Knights after Monday when the Caps beat the Pens for the 2nd time in franchise history in the playoffs (man some rivalry when you can barely win a series)

The guy who created him was an absolute monster/awful human being, I think someone made a comic about his son talking about how much he wanted to kill his father for being the abusive rear end in a top hat that he was to his children and wife.

Yeah Fletcher Hanks was a real piece of work

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

VJeff posted:

I guess there's enough of a market of "people who don't know what the hell iTunes and Spotify are". to justify it.

I've also heard that those kind of things are primarily made for foreign markets, and they just sell them here because why not(same reasoning behind those really crappy giant action figures that are basically shampoo bottles in how they're made)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cavauro posted:

My balls werr rotted and stinking for the last 90 days but the remnants fell off during a nap earlier and it feels weird. But i'm cleaning the area with bleach and vinegar and I'm really really sleepy, going to go lay down soon

WUT

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Everyone knows the best adaptation of Macbeth is Gargoyles

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

As for me my new(and first) job starts tomorrow

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dromal phrenia posted:

Congrats! Watcha doing? I hope its something fun and/or lucrative!

You've allowed us our General Thread, so the next order of business for you is our very own gang tags :getin:

It's just a seasonal job at a Leslie's Pool Supply Store, but that's going to be 11 bucks an hour I wasn't making before, not to mention something to fill out future resumes with

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

First day of my new job went pretty well, was basically just me watching training videos and doing little quizzes

There was some tension caused because the company is opening a new store over in another town about half an hour away, and they are wanting me to go help setup(even though I haven't even finished my training yet), made all the more awkward because I can't drive, and the store is too far away for either my mom or step-dad to drive me either, luckily my manager is very understanding and is looking into some solutions for this(either by having another employee give me a ride to said store, or by getting another employee to do it instead)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of good 90's music, God Shuffled His Feet by the Crash Test Dummies is one of those rare perfect albums

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fart blood posted:

What’s everyone having for dinner tonight?

I’m making a bulgur and baby kale salad with chopped kalamata olives and green onions tossed in a lemon Dijon vinaigrette.

Taco Bell

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wolfenstein 2009 remains the best Nazi killing game, although it unfortunately is kinda hard to find copies for the PC version these days

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

come Tuesday, I'll have a trip report on the latest Warhammer 40k vidya game offering: Deathwing. You play as stompy robot armored dudes shootin aliens in a giant chunk of spaceship/cathedral themed trash. I have not heard good reviews. Should be pretty awesome.

Honestly people are always too harsh on Warhammer games

piss tape israel posted:

I had an existential crisis when I was unemployed for a very long period of time

Same, although in my case it was never being employed in the first place, it's amazing how even a part time seasonal job can change things up

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm having an existential crisis and I'm not really sure why but it feels bad. :(

Those suck, I remember spending the better part of two years in High School dealing with one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RV camping is the best kind of camping, at least if you're camping out in the desert

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I would watch Wanted again well before watching Oscar-Winner Suicide Squad again.

Well at least you aren't suggesting the original comic version of Wanted, that one is just dreadful

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I would definitely watch Oscar-Award Winner Suicide Squad again over reading Wanted again.

The thing is in many respects Wanted is NOT the worst comic I've ever read from a pure quality point(after all comics like The Unfunnies exist), what makes it so bad is how much of a "gently caress You" it gives to the reader for reading it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

My g/f is into anime so, since I'm trying to get her into wrestling, I decided to try my hand at some anime I heard were cool:

HunterXHunter: Really fun and shockingly violent as hell show. I was not expecting the show with the cute little guy fishing in a funny hat to have a dude get his loving heart torn out of his chest and then he grasps for it with his dying breath, holy gently caress Japan.

JoJo: This show loving rules and I wish WWE was more like it :allears:

But by far my favorite show so far: Kaji Ultimate Survivor: Broke dude competes in dangerous as gently caress games to the amusement of horrible rich people. Somehow manages to make Rock Paper Scissors engaging as hell for like 6 episodes straight

You should watch Fist of The North Star and Yu Yu Hakusho, both shows would be right up your alley

Takuan posted:

For like 2 years me and my wife(who is a huge anime dork) have been saying we need to watch JoJo. Last week we started the first episode and turned it off 10 minutes in to it. She can't handle seeing dog death in media and apparently that's a major recurring theme in JoJo.

There actually is a reason for that, the author of Jojo loves dogs, so he feels that the best way to show a villain is a bastard is to show them be an rear end in a top hat to a dog

Also never watch the old Battle Angel OVA, for similar reasons...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

its funny cause none of them are anime

I dunno, the SNES is a pretty anime console when you take a look at it's list of games

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 launches with a remaster pack of 1 & 2 too, I believe :stare:

Those have been out for a while actually(along with most of the other major side games they've done over the years)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So I'm looking at finally getting around to buying a PS4, and I looked in Games at the PS4 thread, but figured I'd ask y'all ITT too: is the PS4 Pro (currently around $350) worth it, or should I get a PS4 Slim or whatever for around $299 and put the money saved towards some games or whatever?

I do have a 4K TV but I'm just wondering if the extra $50-60 for the Pro is going to be worth it, or if all the extra fancy graphics stuff that the Pro can do won't really be noticeable when I'm running around shooting stuff in Horizon Zero Dawn or jumping around in Uncharted or whatnot.

Bloodborne needs to be one of your first purchases for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As mentioned a few days back, I got hold of a PS4 Pro, and started building up my game library thanks to various sales:

Uncharted PS4 collection
Last of Us Remastered
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous Second Son
Witcher 3 complete
Tomb Raider PS4 definitive
Sleeping Dogs PS4 definitive

I already owned Witcher 3 and Sleeping Dogs on PC, but I wanted to be able to play them on the big TV without having to fiddle around with Steam Link (which usually works fine but does have the occasional glitch when gaming).

Better get you some Bloodborne mate(and Dark Souls Remastered)

Some other recommendations(for the sake of this I'm assuming any games on this list with PC versions you don't already have);

both Kingdom Hearts collections
Killing Floor 2
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
DOOM 2016
Gundam Breaker 3: Break Edition*
SD Gundam G-Generation Genesis*
Dragon's Crown Pro
Titanfall 2
Okami HD
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth(and Hackers Memory)
Super Robot Wars V*
Super Robot Wars X*
Axiom Verge
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
Helldivers
Broforce
Apotheon
Assault Suit Leynos
Galak-Z
Journey
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2
both South Park RPG's
Strider
Transformers Devastation
Until Dawn
XCOM 2
Zigguraut

*these games are import titles but are available in English(thanks to the Singapore market) and are pretty easy to obtain

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

I keep meaning to grab a Switch because I saw some cool games but I got adulting poo poo like Baby Hospital to pay so its on the back burner. Same with the RetroPi kit I was eyeing.

If you don't have one already I'd heavily recommend getting an SNES Classic, as it's not only cheap, it's also really easy to modify and add new games to it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jack Anderson posted:

Lovecraft is one of the most influential horror writers and also a huge racist.

Although to be fair to Lovecraft a lot of that came from his upbringing by his aunts, who by all accounts were just plain awful people

Also he backed away more and more from his racist views as he got older, if he hadn't died young from cancer he probably would have recanted them almost entirely by the end of the 40s

Not to mention by modern standards he would definitely count as mentally ill

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just got literally robbed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The thing that irritates me the most about EA is that they'll do something right, and then turn around and do 5 wrong things

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

today I got mad and started screaming because I couldn't remember the game Cortana came from. Then I remembered it was called Halo.

Anyway, if you hate games but wanna do gunpla without spending a bajillion dollars on plastic poo poo, New Gundam Breaker is good. Just don't go in expecting a good action game because its fuckin terrible.

https://twitter.com/coconono/status/1013550631737528321

https://twitter.com/coconono/status/1013534806506950656

I redid the gold one a bit to make it not so obnoxious but I haven't capped it yet.

Gundam Breaker 3 is a million times better and can be found on Amazon for a pretty decent price(get the Break Edition as that has all the DLC on disc)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

yeah, I'm waiting for a used copy to pop up at Gameslop.

Well that ain't gonna happen as it was never officially released here in the US, 3 is available in English because of the Singapore market, but luckily the PS4 is region free, so it will work just fine

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Takuan posted:

Wait, so, this is a game where you get to build plastic model kits piece by piece?

As stated, get Gundam Breaker 3 instead as it's much better

coconono posted:

sorta. you collect* bits and pieces of famous mecha from the Gundam franchise and use them to assemble the mecha of your dreams.

*you beat them off of enemies and haul the parts to a nearby collection thing. That moves around the map. Because this game hates you.

Quit recommending New Gundam Breaker, it sucks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

The Souls series seems to be successful. Somehow.

That's actually completely different

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

VJeff posted:

So, Wikipedia is purging the "in wrestling" section from every wrestler's page. The section that included managers, theme songs, nicknames and, mostly notably, the wrestler's moveset, including both the name of the move and what the technical name of the move is. Why? I have no idea! Wikipedia's stupid.

Probably just some inane grudge someone on the sight has against it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dromal phrenia posted:

There are some good reddits and some gross reddits and some dumb reddits, I'll follow a link there if there appears to be useful info but I wouldn't want to be part of a reddit "community" or whatever. I too, hate the format.

At least it isn't the new neogaf or any of the various -chans

4chan is fine if you stick to certain boards

VJeff posted:

Okay yeah I'll absolutely give you this, that neogaf spin off is like some kind of living embodiment of Poe's Law.

Also 4chan's wrestling board is the worst loving thing. I have no idea what Squared Circle's like cause I've never been but 4chan's wrestling board is the worst loving thing.

Yeah /asp/ is a pretty bad board, I've had the occasional good wrestling discussion over on /co/ and /toy/ before though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If you want a good COD style game, get Titanfall 2, as it has a great campaign and the multiplayer is pretty fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

Is it more fleshed out than Titanfall 1 was? I got it at launch, tore through the singleplayer in like two weekends and the multiplayer didn't have a whole lot of unlocks.

Yes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think we can all agree that Nintendo letting Rare get bought by Microsoft was probably the biggest mistake they've ever made right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Please log out of your alt account Dr Gonzo

I can't really disagree with him either

Also this conversation reminded me that Neurotically Yours still exists and is still making new episodes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

The bananas we have now are a bastard version of actual bananas.

You know how banana flavoured candy tastes nothing like "real" bananas?

It's because bananas used to be all custardy and sweet but they got hosed over by some weird infestations or disease or something.

If it wasn't for GMOing the gently caress out of it they'd be gone too. So anytime someone asks for an organic banana just spit on them.

That variety still exists, just isn't too common anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

Klondike bars with the Reeses cups things. Those are hype as gently caress.

I like the Heath flavored ones