Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sorry. :( Some days the brain spiders can't be fought off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rodney the Piper posted:

I do not post here very often, especially these days, but I've been pretty down on myself for no good reason the past week or two and it loving sucks.
You can do it. You've done it so far. When last it felt hopeless, you made it out. You can do it again. And if it feels like you can't? gently caress that feeling.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rodney the Piper posted:

Thanks, Foochs, Liquid & Critical. I have a counseling appointment next week with a new therapist, which makes me a little nervous, but they're supposed to specialize in PTSD which will help me. I've got anxiety because of work on top of that which is really loving with my sleep.

& WEP is right, Critical, you've got a good #3 now.
Ask about Prazosin! It's a blood pressure medication with an off-label use for people with PTSD who can't sleep.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't speak for anybody else, but my mental health took an incredible turn for the worse once Trump was elected and it's been more of an effort every day knowing this country hates me so much that it would elect its worst person to its highest office because he would work to oppress the already marginalized.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

My therapist told me once I seem to have an addiction to emotional pain and will set up situations that go as badly as possible just so I can wallow in it. Makes about as much sense as anything.
Oof.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing I learned from my last two long-term relationships:

Never date another fellow neurodivergent.

Definitely never date anybody who's neurotypical.

I have yet to find a solution to these problems that isn't just not dating.

But therapy and time are paramount when getting over long-term relationships ending, and I was with my ex-wife for eleven years, so I'm workin' on it. I don't envy your proximity to the event, Dimebags. Those first few months are the toughest. Stay strong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

To my fellow sad brains: do NOT give up on yourselves. I all but had interpersonally and this woman came along and has changed everything for me.
I'm very happy for you, and you deserve whatever happiness you can gleam from this life, but be very careful not to tie your ability to be happy too closely to another person. Not just because they might not be around forever, but because it places a pressure and burden on the relationship that can be self-sabotaging.

Don't look for somebody to complete you. Be two complete people enjoying one another.

It's possible I'm projecting. :-P

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I found a plant based "beef" that is loving delicious and manages to get the consistency just right and I'm in loving love with it, I tried a different brand and the taste was there but the consistency wasn't and it's the latter that is surprisingly the most important over the taste when it comes to replicating meat. Haven't found a good replacement for chicken yet, but I'm happy to not have to buy beef anymore.
What brand is it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TV Zombie posted:

NPR was saying how the effort that it takes to make it taste like a real burger makes it just as bad as a regular burger.
Not every vegetarian meal has to be healthy. The point isn't to be eating health food. It's to eat a damned hamburger without eating an animal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TTBF posted:

Most of the Titanic backlash comes from that song. It was suffocating following that film's release.
It's because women and girls liked it and literally nothing else.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I put my cat down this morning. He was 16 and I raised him from a kitten. I'm very sad.
I'm so sorry. Be proud you gave him a good life.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Croc posted:

So Keanu reeves is in cyberpunk now so the most hyped game has reached a level of hype that cannot be physically explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIcTM8WXFjk

trailer

I assume Jerusalem is dead now so we need a new mod
I'm choosing to believe this is a Johnny Mnemonic game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Catching up on the Bethesday E3 Press Conference. They announced a new Commander Keen..... as a mobile game.

I've never gone from so blissfully happy to utterly enraged so fast before.
I went on that whole journey myself just reading this post.

CobiWann posted:

When he turned down Speed 2 to go do Hamlet in loving Winnipeg.
And then he had to deliver the line "my excellent friends" and at a loving showing of Hamlet, somebody screamed back "EXCELLENT!"

Keanu Reeves has always ruled, but especially since the reluctant Christ figure speech in Johnny Mnemonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSwyMHvXsuU&t=10s

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry about your friend, and gently caress cancer so loving much.
Agreed. gently caress cancer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, hope things get better on that end Foochs. Please remember to reach out to anybody in real life who might be able to help as well, whether a friend, family or somebody professional.
I definitely agree with this, but also, it can be important just to do exactly what you did. Acknowledge that it's happening and say it out loud to somebody. Even a bunch of strangers.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

the fact that i grew up with two Sonic cartoons with completely opposite vibes always tripped me up

"Hey kids, I love chili dogs"

"I HAVE TO PROTECT MY FRIENDS FROM THE MACHINES"
And Urkel voiced both of 'em. That was bizarre.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of these days I'll remember to wash my hands thoroughly before touching my eyes after cutting up habaneros.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Luke72w posted:

One time I touched my dick after cutting habaneros and a quick Google search of "should I put my dick in milk?" returned results that were essentially "you already know the answer is yes and you are just making it worse by putting it off"
Been there too. Woof.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So after eight months of sticking myself with needles to transition and not seeing much in the way of feminization, I got a second opinion over at Planned Parenthood and discovered that my GP had me on doses WAAAAAY below what they oughtta' be. With PP, we've rectified the problem and we'll be moving me up to the proper dose slowly over the next three months.'

Good news, right?

The trouble is, we've octoupled my t-blockers over the last month, but we've actually decreased my overall estrogen to start, since the move from injections to pills isn't as simple as 1:1 dosages, and the increase there needs to happen more slowly to mitigate the risk of pituitary tumors and such, so right now my brain has neither the testosterone nor the estrogen to function and booooooy howdy are the sadbrains in full effect.

I've been depressed before, but even at its worst, I could take joy in something, even if it was something self-destructive.

It's so weird knowing for absolute certain that it's not permanent and will pass in time, but still feel like it never will and this is how life is now.

It's like having a layover at ABQ.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

As someone with a rare hormone disorder I empathize a lot with the trans community because I am also sticking myself with 5 needles a week.
Uf da. That is...

Woof!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spikeguy posted:

I would totally do a sex change if it was easy. When I was a kid I had a fantasy that in the afterlife you got to live through life again with previous knowledge and getting to change a few things and I was always like man I'd love to be a woman.
Um...

You don't have to do transition or like, tell anybody, or even live your life any differently, but I think you might be trans or nonbinary?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

coconono posted:

Gender is becoming an increasingly unwieldy descriptor.
Pretty much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

coconono posted:

microwave it more.
Counterpoint: make it with a kettle, but in a big pitcher and then add ice and a little lemonade.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jiro posted:

Also make a steak.
Nevermind. gently caress the tea. Just do this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's good parenting.
I had exactly the same reaction.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

What's the difference between tea and broth?
Broth is made from things that are food. Tea is made from plants that aren't vegetables.

But if you want to call mint tea mint broth I wouldn't kick up a fuss.

I think if you put peppers and onions in Earl Gray, the vegetables take over the importance and it becomes herb-infused vegetable broth. Like when one dude is in a group of women in French, you still call them a group of men.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Looks like I'm showing signs of schizophrenia y'all.

Woo
Fuuuuuuuuuck. I'm so sorry.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Thanks guys.

I'm really scared to tell people.
This is so understandable. People treat you differently once they know you're "crazy." But I still tell everybody who'll listen, because gently caress if I'm gonna' feel like all my relationships are built on a house of cards and they can gently caress off and all if they're gonna' be fair-weather about it.

I'm glad as gently caress you and your doctor caught it early enough that it could make a big difference.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Noodle came with me to Pride this year.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

is noodle wearing a loving rainbow neckerchief :3:
He sure is!

And I'm sorry, DoctorGonzo. That sucks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cavauro posted:

i didn't watch stranger things when it was a big deal and now i am doing it. i heard the second season is not good but i think people must have been caught up in the hype initially because the first one seems like any other watchable but stupid netflix show too. there are like 20 minutes across 8 episodes of people just standing around yelling someone's name
Some things need to be seen while they're happening to get them because poo poo don't exist in a vacuum. We were all way in the mood for this poo poo when it happened and it was when nostalgia could still seem harmless before it started including "remember when we didn't have to consider most people people?" and took over our daily lives.

It was always just a good show at best, and I wouldn't compare it to fast food being crap, as is a meme these days, but I would compare it craving chicken nuggets for like seven hours and finally getting them. That's a good-rear end moment, when you take that bite.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My stress and depression always sneak up on me at times that make no sense and I hate it a lot. To be fair I think I get tired of lovely news and nihilism and constant information of "by the way this person is an idiot or garbage or said or did this bad thing!". I know to an extent knowledge is power or whatever but there's definitely a point of oversaturation and I think I reach it regularly.
Woof. This. I really wish I could check out sometimes and just not follow the news, but I have to see what's coming down the line to know if I need to run.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is a pro click. :3:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

I am getting very tired.
Another of life's simple pleasures is the feeling of going to bed because you want to go to bed and what's more, doing it while the sun's down.
As somebody prone to hyperfocus/manic wake cycles trust me on this.
I've had to differentiate between tired and sleepy to communicate with doctors.

I'm tired all the time. But that feeling you're describing, where your body starts fading and tells you to go to bed? I haven't experienced that but three times since I was ten years old.

You are absolutely right to not take it for granted. Never, ever feeling like sleeping, or being able to do so, but always being too tired to do anything is a curse I would only wish on bigots and people you wave into traffic who don't wave back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Um... so 25 habaneros may have been too many for this pot of chili.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I eat carolina reapers. The spiciness isn't as much of an issue as it overtaking the flavor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fart blood posted:

I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate to ask but...can stem cells help you at all?
I wanted to ask if he'd tried CBD, but advice for chronic problems is, uh... well, let's just say that I've been unable to sleep since 1992, and people still always "have you tried—" Yes. Yes, I've tried. Believe me, I've tried.

I imagine this is much the same.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Apologies if this is a bit blunt, but how the gently caress are you still alive?
Persistence and luck. I'm sorry, though. I was being somewhat hyperbolic. I've slept. To be accurate in describing the condition, I need to differentiate between being tired and being sleepy.

I'm tired. Often. Most of the time, I'm tired.

But that feeling you get when your eyes are heavy and you start falling asleep? I haven't felt sleepy since I was ten years old. For decades, I would be awake for days at a time. When I would finally fall asleep, I would wake up every twenty minutes in a cold sweat and it would take me an hour or more to get back to sleep. Hypnic jerks in my body (that thing where you're falling asleep and an arm or a leg just jumps around on its own) would persist all through the day, every day, because I was never resting.

I went to doctor after doctor. None of them believed me. None of them could understand that I wasn't being dramatic. I really never, ever, ever got sleepy, and when I did sleep, the most I could muster was about four nonconsecutive hours of sleep over the course of twelve hours of being in bed and trying and trying to sleep.

I developed a fairly serious alcohol problem because, for a time, it was the perfect solution. I'd drink to excess, sleep wonderfully for eight or more hours, and feel completely refreshed and amazing the next day. If it weren't disastrous for your health, it would've been the perfect solution. I kept this up off and on for a long time. Not sleeping for days on end, then drinking myself to sleep three-or-four nights a week so I could finally rest.

When my dad got cancer, a period that lasted about two years, and died, I drank every single night because being awake at 3 AM? That's prime sadbrain time. My marriage was on the rocks, I was unemployed, I was losing my father, and I I couldn't stop self-medicating.

I went to the doctor and told them I needed help because I was drinking every night. From this point, it took more than two years to get actual help after bouncing from doctor to doctor, because when you tell a doctor "I'm drinking too much to self-medicate and I very much want to stop," that's all you are. You're an alcoholic. That's your problem. Stop drinking and it'll all be fine. What's that? You drank to solve a problem we couldn't help you with? Oh, and you've not had a drink in two months after I told you that, and the problem has persisted? Tough poo poo. Go exercise more despite the fact that you do it all the time even though you're perpetually exhausted.

I did two sleep studies. When I do sleep, I sleepwalk. I never really rest. But they just told me to stop drinking and lose weight. (I've never been fat. That's just doctor-speak for "I have one tool and it's a hammer, so your problem is a nail."

Eventually, with enough persistence and changing from doctor to doctor, desperately searching for one who'd bother trying, I was given a diagnosis of PTSD, which, duh, I have nightmares all the time, can't ever sleep, am jumpy and nervous all the time, and have been through shitloads of trauma. It was all right there, and it took years of doctor visits for anybody to notice.

Every time I was given a new sleep med, it would be a silver bullet and work like gangbusters the first night, but would be less effective every subsequent night until it wasn't making any difference and just worsened my sleepwalking. I cooked whole meals in my sleep. You can do anything in your sleep that you can do awake, and sleep meds, not to mention alcohol, exacerbate the problem.

But this time, I wasn't given sleep meds. I was given blood pressure medication. The same stuff they gave to vietnam vets. It worked great at first, but its effectiveness, too, faded over time. Over the course of a few years, and again, changing doctors often, I finally found one who'd put me on a proper dose of the stuff. Then, mercifully, a third sleep study found that I had restless leg syndrome, so I was given meds for that.

Finally, I started transitioning. T-blockers and estrogen. And combined with the above, I can finally sleep at night without drinking. My alcohol intake dropped down to social drinking only. It isn't easy to get to sleep, and I still wake up in cold sweats often, but I can get back to sleep and I wake up more-or-less rested far more often than not, now. For the last ten months, I've been doing okay.

The insomnia and nightmares and sleepwalking and anxiety still take hold occasionally and I go a few days without sleep, but it isn't every night anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you! The American medical system is a hellish nightmare to navigate, so I'd encourage everybody to be persistent and not let it beat you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can also post from alternate futures.

1.)The impeachment proceedings will unearth very little new information, but will direct the news media, on the daily, to wrongdoing that hasn't commanded news attention despite common knowledge.

2.)The impeachment will pass the house with no issue and wide support of the American public now that the media has finally stopped covering Trump in exactly the way that helps him most and has begun covering his corruption instead of his crowd-pleasing dog-whistles we talk about in breathless terms.

3.) The impeachment fails in the senate because despite America largely knowing Trump is a corrupt gently caress who doesn't care about his base, his racism is more important and partisans gonna partisan.

4.) Democrats run on how corrupt the Republican party is and how out of touch with the workers they are and how they stood up for the person the country clearly doesn't want This paints them as establishment, which voters hate. This works, because we've disseminated through the news media actually doing their job, a version of Trump that gets through to people who only have a passing interest in politics.

5.) A actual leftist has a chance to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's really depressing how the rules just don't apply to Trump and he keeps getting away with poo poo that would sink anybody else.