Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

High five, fellow discovering-the-truth-about-their-physical-and-mental-problems-in-their-early-thirties buddy. It is the dirt worst. Silver lining: Being aware of it means being better prepared for it, and hopefully that means 35 and 40 will suck less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

New Vegas is the best Fallout but its fanbase has a shocking number of people who think Caesar's Legion have good ideas.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Obsidian should hold a coup on Bethesda and steal all their janky rpg engines and intellectual properties because they actually know how to loving write a good game

To be fair, Bethesda also knows how to actually run a gaming company and Obsidian does not

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

then bethesda should just hire obsidian's writers and just let them run wild on all of their rpgs because every elder scrolls since morrowind has been kinda poo poo and fallout 3 and 4 feel like elder scrolls games instead of fallout games

wholly agreed with the former, only sort-of agreed with the latter; I think the new Bethsoft games are poo poo at writing but exceedingly successful at what they're primarily trying to do, which is immersive power and exploration fantasy for people who aren't RPG fans

Bethsoft learned that they'd make way more loving money if they spent all their resources and attention on trying to make progressively more streamlined, progressively less deep games that were bone-easy to get into for people who'd never touched RPGs before, and that's why Skyrim's fifteenth rerelease still makes a billion dollars and Obsidian is running kickstarters for their worthless grognard projects (that I donated to, because I am a worthless grognard), and that's why bethsoft stopped paying the big Kirkbride bucks and settled on Pagliarulo instead

I am hoping the runaway success of their first-ever actual market competition in Witcher 3, and how much of that was writing-based, will get them to consider investing in writing again for TES6 and Fallout 5 when they inevitably happen, and I'm pretty sure rope kid could use a ferrari

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Today i started going to a psiquiatrist for my alcohol problem. Wish me luck friends.

It's gonna be awesome and it's gonna really suck, and I hope it works out well for you.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The bad side of existential crisis is the total inability to pen it down so you can dissect it and feel better about it. The teensy, tiny good side is knowing it IS an existential crisis lets at least part of your brain know that it will pass and you will be okay, but it can be really, really hard to get back in touch with that part of your brain when the rest of it is going crazy. The best thing I have ever found for reconnecting myself mentally is exercising and physically tiring myself enough that my brain has to listen to my body instead of the other way around.

Either way, there are always wrestling buddies you can PM and feel bad with.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My health insurance has denied to cover half-year-old ER fees, so I owe a hospital eight hundred dollars all of a sudden. I regret not marrying into Canadian family when I had the chance.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

As a non-American I still can't wrap my head around how your healthcare system "works", it's utterly insane.

Last year my girlfriend, who has no insurance, went to the ER and got a contrast test and zofran for what wound up being just hell's worst case of food poisoning. They stuck her with a $20,000 bill. For two months, we tried to call and negotiate the ludicrousness of this and they stonewalled us to the point of ceasing to pick up our calls. When we engaged a medical cost advocate, the hospital abruptly discovered a 50% discount "for living in the same zip code we do business in." The advocate described that kind of situation as "really distressingly ordinary." Her pay was 20% of whatever amount we saved.

Everything about American healthcare is a god damned nightmare and anyone who says it's not is insane.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have never been able to truck with Quantic Dream games. Like, it annoys me less when I play a Skyrim or a Fallout 4 and the story is subpar because the immersive act of playing the game balances the suckiness of the plot, but Heavy Rain and Beyond had bad stories and characters and nothing else to do in the game but spend time with them. Omikron and Fahrenheit were by far worse games than either of them, but they were at least weird.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I installed a mod that changes the big twist and alters a bunch of dialogue in the game to make it less stupid, and it was a much better experience up until I got to the endgame and it became clear there was only so much they could do with characters whose only line of dialogue was being breathlessly in awe of you.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cavauro posted:

fallout 4 is an ok shooter. It sucks how you have to answer to 10-15 dialogue conversations that you greatly care about your son/family no matter what option you choose and it sucks how about 60% of dialogue options are actually the same exact lines and you wouldn't know it unless you use the mod that spells out what you're going to say before you say it. It sucks that there are no interesting people around anywhere and all the cool places to put NPCs are just filled with enemies

pretty much this, yeah

Fallout 4 is the best-playing game in the series and it makes it suck that the writing is so bad.

Also,

Jerusalem posted:

Fallout New Vegas ruined all the other Fallout games for me (and most of Bethesda's big open world stuff) because it showed you could have an open world that had as much depth as it had width, while Fallout 3 and 4 are shallow as a puddle.

As true as this is, it also made me wind up appreciating the random generation of Fallout 3 when I got into my third playthrough of New Vegas and realized almost all the random encounters were actually static and would be the same things in the same places forever.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It definitely is, I just goof around with it in freeform mode and built myself a giant undersea base.

This is exactly the way to play Subnautica, not because the survival mechanics in the normal mode are hard but rather because they're not in any way fun and don't really add anything to the game. It is way, way more engrossing as a game about swimming around gawking at weird alien fish before having a party in your sealab.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Bethesda has no idea why people like Fallout or what makes Fallout a good series.

I'm with you on the latter bit but given the ridiculous sales figures Fallout 4 put up I dunno that the former tracks.

I feel wary but curious.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

i started playing the witcher 3 and combat seems like you just click the mouse a lot until you either win or die. i am bad at video game

no, the worst part of Witcher 3 is the part where you have to play it

You can work on your counter timing and the way you use signs for crowd control or you can just put the difficulty down to "just the story" mode because the combat is what you do while you're waiting for the good parts of the game to happen and you're really not missing anything by making it easy.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

There's a great early quest where you can mind control some assholes to gently caress off, but you can also chill out and offer to buy them drinks. If you do the latter they'll talk poo poo about you, but then later in the game when you have to get into a particular location it turns out they're the guys guarding it, and when they see you they're like,"Hey this guy is a good dude, he bought us a round, let him in!" :3:

If you'd mind-controlled them, they'll be pissed off and wary of you and it causes more problems for you, all at the cost of having taken the easy way out early in the game.

I managed to get this one on both ends; I bought them drinks and calmed them all down, and then upon getting out of the inn and seeing one of their cohort about to assault a farmer's family I immediately sworded up and killed all of them, which meant when I got to Crow's Perch they were all terrified of me.

Only know doing my real playthrough of the game. It's real good.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean I don't think it's bad but the QOL issues are so huge they really detract from what's otherwise a good game (that looks incredible). Fast travel in particular. poo poo, even if they let you set manual waypoints it'd be fine. But they don't and it's kinda inexplicable to be honest.

Yes. Burnout Paradise was one of the most amazing racing games ever made when it was new and open-world racing was a fresh concept; ten years and the entire Forza Horizon series later it has not aged gracefully, and the moment I realized all races end at the same essential points it broke the game for me completely.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

VJeff posted:

I really wanna buy the Ratchet and Clank games but this has stopped me.

Here's my backlog:
- Persona 5
- Dark Souls 3
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted Trilogy (finished 1, still got 2 and 3)
- Most of Rare Replay
- Doom 2016
- Dishonored GotY edition

The saddest part is Doom 2016 and Dishonored are both so amazing that I can't do what I really want to do, which is tell you to spurn 90% of your list and just play Viva Pinata forever.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

What are some good Ellison reads to check out for the uninitiated?

A Boy and His Dog is a classic, but Sydney's right, the short story anthologies are where he really shines.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Far Cry 5 actively infuriated me both mechanically and narratively.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The truly impressive thing about DOOM 2016 isn't that it's a fantastic game, it's that they were able to take on the responsibility of making a game that feels like a worthy successor to loving DOOM and ace it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

After not giving a poo poo about MMORPGs for almost a decade I have fallen into a deep, dark Star Trek Online hole, and I am ashamed.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

fart blood posted:

I’m watching Summer Games Done Quick. Is this okay? This is gaming so I don’t know who’s a pedophile or an alt-righter on whatever.

GDQ banned people for wearing MAGA hats and there's now a horde of angry gamer youtube videos about how they're anti-free speech, which is how you can be safely assured they are good.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yesterday was literally one of the best days I have had in months. I am so happy right now and I love you guys. :)

also I missed this until dromal quoted it just now but fuckin' good on you, foochs

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

People and particularly corporations are still so new to the idea of social brigading as an online tactic that they haven't yet figured out how to not panic and put social context to the thing instead of knee-jerk reacting, and the first, most important bit of that context is always "who is instigating this and why," and when the answers are "Mike Cernovich" and "because he wants more people to contribute to his patreon so he can fund his Rape Is A Fake Idea World Tour 2019" and you're a company the size of loving Disney you should probably figure out that you're going to eat more poo poo for kowtowing than you would by just ignoring him.

i mean, it'd be cool if the question could instead be "what is the ethically correct thing to do" but, being Disney, that hasn't mattered for a long time

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Kvantum posted:

It has a LOT of technical issues. Even on PC, it doesn't run very well without at least 16 GB of RAM.

Now, if you do have 16 GB or more, it's a ton of fun, but it's not without the occasional crash even then, and even after all the patches and updates.

This, but also just the crime of familiarity.

Just Cause 2 was this giant breath of chaotic, free-roaming fresh air when action games had been largely dominated by Halo and CoD and Killzone and the like for years, and rather than rushing out a sequel they worked on Mad Max and waited almost six years, and in those years you got Far Cry 3 and 4 and Dead Rising 2 and 3 and Saints Row 3 and 4 and the two Tomb Raider reboots and GTAV and Fallout 4, so the world of chaotic, free-roaming action games had massively changed, and then Just Cause 3 was basically Just Cause 2 But With A Little More Stuff In It, and aside from just being disappointingly samey it wasn't nearly as unique or interesting as it had been in 2010.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hope poo poo gets better, foochs.

Incessant Excess posted:

They're making a fifth dead rising? I assumed the last one flopped cause I saw zero people talk about it.

It did, but the biggest reason it flopped was they tried to make it a big mainstream-accessible game by taking all the Dead Risingness out of it and making it a generic open-world action game, except no one gives a poo poo about Dead Rising who wouldn't rather play a real Dead Rising game, so 5 is supposed to go back to being weird.

but it's Capcom, so basically nothing they do with the rest of their catalog matters to their bottom line as long as Monster Hunter and Resident Evil make money

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

VJeff posted:

Quick wikipedia check, this seems to be closer to his New 52 backstory.

You know what I always loved about comic books as a kid? When everything sucked and everyone was miserable and edgelordy and fun, good things didn't exist.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

To be totally fair to the poo poo-givers, playing Andromeda now is also a very different experience from playing Andromeda at release. It ran like poo poo, it crashed all the time, characters t-posed regularly in mid-cutscene, at several points I had multiple iterations of the same character in the same location using dialogue from different parts of the game, they even redid all the cutscene animations eventually. That game came out profoundly busted.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Don't get too caught up in the real estate game, it's a long rear end grind and you don't really need the top level skills. Always have a couple healing items in your inventory.

Counterpoint: Get totally caught up in the real estate game, make more money than everything in the game costs and then trivialize every fight by buying guns.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

America-wise, most of the people who claim to care about white culture can't actually elucidate on what they consider it to be other than "not minority culture" and most of the people who genuinely do care about white culture are actual supremacists.

edit: boy that's a terrible way to start a page; I'm not sure if I can say No Man's Sky is a good game but I have definitely spent like 20 hours playing it in the last several days and I don't know how to feel about that

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Baron Corbin posted:

it was a scam

Jerusalem posted:

it's an actual fun game.

I think there were credible arguments for both when the game was new but they were slanted in the scam direction, and there are still credible arguments for both today but they're slanted in the fun direction.

It was always a good experience if you liked the platonic ideal of flying around the emptiness of space looking at stuff, but that's not the game they advertised and that was deeply lovely. I played it for about 10 hours after it came out and put it on the shelf until the then-announced updates came. It is much more of a game-rear end game now, there's a lot more stuff to do and there's a lot more variety in the things you can see, but it's also incredibly janky and very visibly held together by duct tape and fervent prayers.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

yea ok posted:

the way they advertised that game, and the initial rollout of it, was really total bullshit, enough that i'll never play it. i was so excited after that first trailer lol

This is one hundred percent true, and they deserved poo poo for it, but it still baffles me years later that Sony somehow got off scot-free.

Hello Games was basically a dozen people in a room who made one and a half games about doing motorcycle tricks and then had a neat idea for a thing about space boats, and then Sony came in, paid them for exclusivity, put a giant advertising push behind it and touted it as a giant AAA game on network television without actually giving them any additional resources to make or at least QA the loving game, and when Hello was in trouble and had to release the game as-is or they were going to go bankrupt, rather than getting hands-on and trying to protect their investment, Sony just sort of shrugged, and then when it came out and it was a giant mess, instead of standing by them or giving them any support, one of Sony's top executives gave public interviews about how Hello Games hosed up and it was all their fault.

Like, the core problem with the whole thing was a budget indie studio had an idea that was way too ambitious for their resources and it was going to be a trainwreck no matter what, but when the biggest gaming company in the world steps in and makes an indie game by a dozen people one of their biggest marquee titles but lends them no actual support and then shits on them afterwards for not meeting the expectations they helped create, that's kind of hosed, right?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I hope the fact that you have a web forum of people rooting for you on a regular basis is at least a bulwark for your sense of self-worth. You deserve it.

We are drinking at 3:20 in the morning because my girlfriend just found out her best friend's brother died in a motorcycle accident. He was 24, she'd known him since he was 6, and he was getting married in three months. If you own a motorcycle, please smash it with a hammer and get a loving Civic. Life is short and stupid.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

when i'm done with yakuza 0 should i play the yakuza 1 remake next or should i play horizon zero dawn

HZD. Kiwami is still good but it's not as good as 0, and that makes the ol' Kamurocho Burnout much harder to avoid.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The only real knock on Yakuza 0 is it's so much more of a modern, well-rounded game than the first couple Yakuza/Kiwamis that it sets your expectations for the series a bit too high.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Everyone else has already said emotionally wise, healthy and correct things, so let me instead chime in with the emotionally unhealthy solidarity of yo, gently caress that person and it's their loss.

ChrisBTY posted:

So just start with Yakuza 0 then?

One hundred percent.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm trying to finish Ni no Kuni II before I move onto DQ11 and it's like eating a perfectly acceptable salad while all of my friends are having a pizza.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DQ4 is the last RPG I ever played with my dad, so it is the best DQ by default.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Your Parents posted:

the most notable thing about ni no kuni 2 is the insane japanese vs chinese racism on display when you get to the China-inspired town and they're all literally dogs who don't understand how to make decisions without gambling and lying

Yeah, my other RPG friends hyped this game up to me but aside from being extremely pretty I'm not really getting it, it ran out of steam really fast, it is really repetitive and so goddamn much of it is just extremely boilerplate fetch quests and resource grinds and it's kind of bumming me out.

Jackie D posted:

Yeah I thought so too but it's not

The town management would be fun if there was any level of variation to it, but everything about it is preset and linear and when I leveled up my town to 3 and got told "now you get to build 5 copies of these three buildings" I think the vast majority of my caring immediately ceased.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I hope some of your hurricane luck transfers and becomes anti-MRSA luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I am that one rear end in a top hat who unironically preferred Eccleston.