Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Post-game spoiler-ridden Spider-Man thoughts:

I enjoyed the playing-it part of the game, but I wound up feeling like the story started strong and ended poorly. They did an awesome job of taking their time letting Otto and Li and all of Peter's various relationships breathe and develop, and then in the last 25% of the game it suddenly jams the plot throttle on Ludicrous Speed and Otto goes from 'this implant may alter your personality with prolonged use' to 'I became a genocidal supervillain with a secret lair overnight,' Li becomes a background flunky, Sable has a total change of heart, three separate Spider-villains are introduced and immediately disposed of, Harry's illness is revealed, Mary Jane loves Peter again and May dies an abrupt plot death. It felt like they got self-conscious about how restrained the pacing had been up until that point and tried to fit an entire game's worth of plot into the final act.

Also Spider-Man not even batting an eye at "sure I will help the 100% heroic and wonderful NYPD establish a total surveillance network across the entire city" is some loving mega-dystopia poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We have just returned from Universal Hollywood, which is the first theme park I have ever been to. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is fantastic. Simpsons World is some bullshit.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CobiWann posted:

My wife and I just finished four days at Universal Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights. Concur on the above for the day. The nights were amazing though! Scare zones were meh however probably the best run of houses they’ve had in a long time.

Yeah, HHN was pretty good. The girlfriend has wanted to see the Jabbawockeez for a decade and several of them fought over the chance to give her a lapdance, and I was killed with an axe by two parkwalkers and Joyce Byers, so all in all, a good time.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Kvantum posted:

(But seriously, gently caress the horns and cosmetic items in the wheelspins.)

You say that, but my horn can be the Windows XP shutdown sound and that's the best.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Vaguido posted:

The only complaint I really have for Dishonored as a series is that if you decide to just kill people, the game is hilariously easy. The only difficulty is found in the stealth gameplay, and even that isn't horribly challenging most of the time. But if you don't care about difficulty and just want to have fun, Dishonored 1 and 2 both have it in spades, imo.

See, this is a thing I have always loved about Dishonored. One of my least favorite things about games that try to enforce a moral dilemma between their ideas of right and wrong is the tendency to make them as equivalent as possible so you don't feel like you're missing out on content or experience; paragon vs renegade in Mass Effect, good vs evil in Fable, saving vs harvesting in Bioshock, etc. The whole point of Dishonored as a plot and setting is how people abuse their power for personal gain and disregard the people who get hurt in the process, so after you get endowed with impossible power it becomes way harder to sneak around and keep everyone alive than to just stop caring and murder everyone in your way. It's unusually thematically cohesive for a video game.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Just the base game itself was great, but throw in the DLC (really more like old school expansions) and it really is one of the all time best games ever made.

i have for seven years now carried a small but bright torch, and the inscription on that torch reads "Lonesome Road was kind of disappointing," and no one will ever put it out

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That said, I absolutely loved the heist atmosphere of Dead Money, and Dean Domino is a pretty amazing character.

:hf:

Dead Money = Old World Blues > Honest Hearts > Lonesome Road, for me. I really liked the concept of Lonesome Road but I never liked the way it came together. Dead Money is one of the most cohesive, contained Fallout stories and I adore it.

But I also unironically like Skyrim and Fallout 3, so I am casual Bethsoft scum.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Not only is it real, one of the intervening fights is you and Dr. Mario teaming up in what I can only assume is a physician's intervention to beat King K. Rool into better dietary habits

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm gonna go against the grain and say Odyssey. I liked my time with Spider-Man plenty but think it gets way more hype than is truly warranted, but primarily:

ChrisBTY posted:

I love open-world games where I can forget about the main plot for 40 hours (I actually stopped playing Watch Dogs 2 when I realized I couldn't hold off the main plot forever. I just wanted the game to be arbitrary acts of carnage until I achieved my goals)

Sidequests and bullshit are almost more the point of Odyssey than the actual plot. Spider-Man's side content is the least interesting part of it; there's only a smattering of actual quests and the vast majority are short, samey physical challenges or pattern-matching/pipe dream-style puzzles, which means

ChrisBTY posted:

I hate puzzles.

might be a problem.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I got probated a decade ago because my girlfriend was visiting and didn't want to log into her own account before posting. It has haunted me ever since.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Hot take: Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 if you can find it on amazon is the best one. It's like no mercy but I don't think it has the bug. It's also in japanese though.

VPW2 is the best but you would also need to buy an adapter. When I was a kid I printed out one of IceMaster's guides and edited all the characters into accuracy by hand. That was a fun thing to do back when time had no meaning.

Still, get No Mercy. Everyone remembers World Tour and Revenge really fondly because they've forgotten finishers were meaningless in those games and you had to jackknife someone four times to get a pin and it was incredibly annoying.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Gonna go with...
Of course it can be sorta repetitive, it's a JRPG.
But really loving around with the real good combat system combined with wandering into areas 20+ levels higher than you to score loot all over the world is utterly fantastic and it would be my GoTY if Dragon Quest XI didn't exist.

DQXI was the first DQ I've played since I voraciously devoured 1-4 on the NES as a kid, and I kind of limped past the finish line because oh my god I forgot how repetitive Dragon Quest games are in the intervening quarter-century

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This is entirely correct. The fact that you are noting your relapse on a fuckin' wrestling forum instead of pretending it didn't happen is indicative that you're going a healthy way about it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

mcu narrative has been republican propaganda for a long time

Marvel in general, really.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have an endless backlog of high-quality games I am deeply interested in and instead I've sunk like fifty hours into Enderal, the Skyrim total conversion.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Roman Reigns posted:

Paradox Interactive owns the IP now and they’re renowned as a socially progressive gaming company.

They gave an interview saying 'urban fantasy can't be politics-averse' and 'the game's character creator lets you pick pronouns' and predictably there is now a firestorm of KEEP POLITICS OUT OF GAMES controversy around it, because Vampire: The Masquerade is a setting that definitely was not built to have politics or social commentary in it.

coconono posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition is probably the strongest of the 3 DA games but its ugly as hell compared to its contemporaries.

man, I still think it's Origins by a country mile. DA2 is just kind of a huge mess in every way and DAI is so...flat.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I was a lifelong comics reader and I pretty much just gave up over Identity/Infinite Crisis. I tried to start the New 52 but I was so tired and jaded by then I could not hack it.

I have long felt that when DC launched a subscription service worth a drat I would start a long, terrible journey of "okay, if I start from the beginning of the new 52 how far do I have to go to get to where we are now and see what the hell happened" but I have no idea how that would even work anymore.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I am existentially depressed and anxious to the point that I'm wondering if my carbon footprint justifies my continued existence.

I am already in therapy and nobody needs to worry about me doing anything dumb but it still feels bad man

When I was younger and had deeply severe badbrains as opposed to moderate adult badbrains I genuinely believed that when someone attacked me I was obligated to let them hurt or kill me, because my life was not worth adding more violence to the world by fighting back. I told this to a friend once and they asked why I'd stepped into a fight to help another friend the week before, and I answered that they deserved to be defended, and when asked to explain why they deserved it and I didn't without falling back on an abstract like "because I am bad" I just sort of stared at them and waved my arms listlessly.

It is really loving hard to remember your own worth in mid-depression. Remembering that you're Other People You Care About to other people you care about helps. And you are.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Shout out to anyone that has suicidal thoughts/tendencies. I tried to kill myself this year and it was wack as gently caress!!! Glad it didn't happen. Big ups to Foochs and everyone else.

thanks for still being around, nini.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

Odyssey is huge and extremely overwhelming. Once I unlocked the spear and cult mechanics, I haven't touched a story mission since.

Just in case you haven't already gotten to this point and figured it out, you'll eventually hit a point where you will need to move the story forward to get to certain people on those trees. Not even the top ones, a couple randos.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Thanks for all the words of comfort, guys. Dad passed away peacefully this evening. I'm not religious or anything but I know he's with mom and his folks again now. Appreciate all the support ITT.

I'm sorry, dude. I'm glad it could go that way, but I"m sorry it had to go any way. Stay kind to yourself the next bit.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I borrowed a friend's Playstation to play RDR2 (and Spider-Man!), the Yakuza games are finally coming out on PC and Judgment better not be too far behind. In the meantime, I already have waaaaay too many games waiting to be played on my Steam account.

Jerusalem, it is killing me to see everyone talking so much about Judgment while I am over here waiting for the god damned PC release

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My entire biological family works in government contracting and are giving direct aid to ICE and I have recently realized nothing I can possibly do with my life will right the balance of evil we have inflicted upon the world.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Drew McIntyre posted:

there are a ton of minorities where i live compared to the rest of the USA and people are mostly chill with each other, but man, at every job i've had, once all the minorities leave the room and it's just me and the other white people, they can all finally relax and be racist. people that seemed normal and cool will suddenly start explaining to me how much they hate black women and the specific reasons why. 95% of white people are racist and most are just smart enough to barely keep their mask on when they need it.

It's funny; I live in one of the only minority-white areas in the country and it did have an impact on the level of racist poo poo I heard at work, maybe as a function of there so rarely being an all-white room

but there were only a handful of women there, and the femtosecond one of them left, gently caress

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Before I clicked I literally thought "What if it's what I think it is?" clicked, and had a hearty chuckle. I'm going to hell.

You are a good human and being happy for the end of evil is the most good thing there is.

coconono posted:

First he called her a “bitch” which she warned him not to do that. So he ramped it up to “loving bitch” so she hit him with a short right.

Cops asked if I wanted to press charges. I asked if the girl needed lunch money.

Anyway the boy is going to be doing lots of extra chores and discussing what he’s learned from all this. Hopefully it won’t be a regular thing.

This is solid parenting and good luck.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I don't post in this thread regarding life struggles 'cause I got my own weird brain stuff, but y'all are good and inspiring, and you are killing it, Spikegal.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

I really liked VC’s combat but generally prefer games where I can stomp dude. VC is much too balanced for my tastes.

VC was one of the first games to make me realize I was crazy, because even though you can play more or less however you want the fact that the game's grading system told me I was playing it wrong for being slow and strategic in the strategy game drove me loving nuts.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MotU posted:

i dont really like geneforge that much but i know im an extreme minority among vogel fans due to that. still love exile/avernum tho

My best friend is impossibly passionate about the entire Spiderweb library, and I like to think of myself as a dedicated RPG person but I've never been able to put myself back into the early 90s long enough to not bounce off of them and it makes me feel like I'm living a lie.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As someone who played through Odyssey as Alexios, I can confirm Kassandra is the correct choice.

Also, everyone enjoy AEW for me since apparently my entire goddamn state won't have power for the next week or something because PG&E are evil.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

oh but seriously I posted:

this is the second reference i have read to this what is going on over there?

Basically: Power for the vast majority of central and northern California is provided by a single private company, Pacific Gas & Electric. There are many reasons they are terrible, but the best encapsulation is the most recent: After their lax maintenance standards caused the Camp wildfire last year that killed ~80 people and caused somewhere around $17 billion in damages they filed for bankruptcy restructuring to avoid fully paying their debtors or folding the company, and last month got smacked down in court when it was discovered that part of their woe-is-us bankruptcy plans was paying their executives $16 million in performance bonuses.

There's a big windstorm that's supposed to happen over the next several days, but PG&E still hasn't done anything about their ridiculously unmaintained power lines that regularly get hosed up, hit their surrounding vegetation and cause fires that kill people, so rather than accept the liability, they announced with about a half-day's notice that they're going to cut power to around a million people across the state for safety reasons, except they can't say for sure who'll lose power, and they can't say for sure when the power will be lost, and the power could be out for anywhere between a couple hours and a week.

Also, the safety, preparedness and update websites they've been publicly posting to help people all 404 because they never bothered to create them.

Living here is the best.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

Is Control a good game, should I buy it?

Control made me change my avatar for the first time in more than a decade. Purchase Control. Play Control with your controller.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Same but a year from now instead :sigh:

I signed up for the Xbox/PC Game Pass more out of curiosity/the $1 deal making it dumb not to than anything else and I think it's hilarious that the two games that fully justify it are Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Taco Bell is good if you eat just the plain-rear end tacos, the closer you go to their fancy foods the worse it becomes.

Popeye's is the superior fast food chicken but will give you heartburn like a motherfucker.

KFC is garbage but I eat it once a year and feel terrible about myself afterward.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I enjoyed the story-based design of TOR quite a bit, but it's real hard to justify these days spending time on an MMO that isn't FFXIV.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Congratulations on finally getting to be who you are. Celebrate by eating a shitton of food. This does not necessarily have to be holiday-related.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Drew McIntyre posted:

movies died when Shakespeare In Love won best picture

There have been like four good best picture winners in the last three decades and coincidentally everything is bad and I'm getting old.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I'm 30 and this is the first time I've had to put down a pet.

I don't know how anyone can have another one after this

My first time was when I was nine. It's one of the worst feelings and there's no way for it not to be the worst, every time, because the reason you are depressed is the same reason you care enough to do what's right for her, and it's impossible to separate those, and the harder you try to get away from how hurt and sad you feel about it the worse it will be because you'll be fighting that fight for these last few days instead of enjoying the time you have left, tears and all.

It is a heartbreaking thing, and you have to let your heart break, and I'm really sorry there's no way around that. But it is okay, both to be sad and to go through and endure this thing, and when it's over it will eventually be okay again, and one day you will remember the wonderful times you had with this silly thing that loved you and instead of the heartbreak you are currently feeling you will feel gratitude for the time you had together and gratitude that you let those be your last memories with her instead of her suffering.

There is no way not to be depressed. But you can be depressed and know that it's okay, and you will be too.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

which episodes to skip mostly. I know the first two seasons of TNG setup a bunch of stuff that's paid off later.

As someone who is currently forcing himself to watch terrible DC television shows to respect the crossover focus of Arrow, the correct answer is to give zero ground and waste your life watching 100% of the bullshit episodes no matter what the show is, because sure, DS9 eventually becomes a serious war story with good long-term arcs, but if you haven't watched the parts where the crew gets trapped inside a board game or hosed up by Rumplestiltskin, HOW WILL YOU KNOW YOU REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

yo seriously the number of times the Enterprise was compromised in the FIRST SEASON alone by alien lifeforms should have had sent it back to dry dock for a good cleansing.

Star Trek was my dad's favorite show, which means when TNG started when I was like 2 it became my favorite show, and I was passionate about that franchise like nothing else

and then Voyager happened and I went "well, it wasn't all terrible, maybe the next thing will be better"

and then Enterprise happened and I went "oh." and I still haven't watched about 75% of it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Artelier posted:

Not sure about obscure, but nobody I knew played Battle Arena Toshinden 3. Pretty flexible combo system, a bajilion characters (David and Vermilion!!), and a killer soundtrack.

I am scared to play this again after becoming much better in fighting games.

I loved BAT3 so much as a kid I cabled together machines so I could record its intro onto a VCR tape. It's absolute garbage, and I still adore it.

Also, literally everything you've posted about the event is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Drew McIntyre posted:

in the end, Rorschach was the only one who didn't compromise his values

i wrote a long effortpost in GBS years ago that was basically just this

Lots of writers do not get that the unflagging sense of moral strength inherent to fascism is the trait people desire most from it and portraying that without drawing attention to its failings is going to make people think it's admirable

Lots of writers especially do not get that if the central protagonist of your media isn't supposed to be looked up to you're starting off behind the 8-ball because the plot is going to center around them and your audience is going to naturally gravitate towards valuing them over any of the more ethically good characters standing in their way because by identifying with the story they want it to move forward and unconsciously see that momentum as an ethical good and suddenly they think Walter White is a noble hero and Skyler is a villain

Cavauro posted:

very bad sad private matter. please put one short burst of your positive thought energy out toward a specific but anonymous good person. i promise it's not me

Best internet wishes, not Cavauro.