Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

shiksa posted:

just watched guardians of the galaxy 2, its a very fun movie and dave "the big dave" bautista is delightful in it.

He is, and he's also great in Blade Runner 2049. He's not in it for very long, but he does a great job while he's on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Jerusalem posted:

If you have the blu-ray, check out the extra shorts they made. One of them features Dave's character in a brief prequel to the events of the movie and it's really great. Even without that though, his brief role in the film was so well done. I can still hear the bubbling of the pot on the stove when I think about the scene.

"What's this?"
"That's garlic. I grow that just for me."

I haven't seen the short films yet (just watched it on streaming for now), but I will have to check them out.

And I'm not kidding or being sarcastic in any way when I say Dave was able to convey so much with just the simple act of putting on a pair of glasses in BR2049. It's obvious he takes acting seriously, which is great to see. He could have easily just coasted on his physique and his WWE fame into a bunch of meathead action movie roles, but (as the story goes), he immediately signed up for acting lessons when he got the role of Drax, so it's nice to see that he's willing to do a lot more than just be a menacing big guy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Couple pages late, but as the thread's resident massive KJ fan, here's one I like simply because I think the video's cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQhNEyAf0I

Also just pretend I posted the entirety of what's THIS for...! here.

Bonus KJ-related song: here's the title track from Murder Inc., the album and band name of a short-lived "post-industrial supergroup" that featured pretty much everyone who'd been in KJ prior to 1992 (including both drummers) except for Jaz Coleman, who was replaced by Ministry/RevCo mainstay Chris Connelly (and the whole thing was recorded by Steve Albini):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV1_jvWa6Uk

Fun fact: the keyboardist in Murder Inc., John Bechdel, not only worked with tons of other industrial metal bands (Prong, Ministry, and Fear Factory, among others), but is the brother of the woman who came up with the Bechdel Test.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

fart blood posted:

What 69 guy?

My man.

And goddammit I still think Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is a masterpiece.

I agree, it's definitely one of their most underrated albums. Back in the days when I used to collect vinyl albums, I remember being all geeked at finding a decent second-hand copy of it at some record store.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Finally got around to playing Wasteland 2. Been enjoying it so far, it definitely feels like a much more updated and modern version of the original Fallout games. There are bits here and there where it feels like a slog, but that was present in Fallout 1 & 2 also, so I don't mind it so much.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

fart blood posted:

Ya know between these David Cage stories I never heard before (i'm not much of a gamer) and the new allegations against Morgan Freeman, I'm starting to think we men might be creeps and women might have it tough in the world.

For further proof, listen to that recent interview with the cast of Arrested Development, which starts out talking about the new season, and winds up dovetailing into a crying Jessica Walter being mansplained to by Jason Bateman and David Cross, as they trip over themselves in their rush to take Jeffrey Tambor's side regarding an incident where he verbally abused her on set.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

fart blood posted:

Boy David Cross likes sticking his foot in his mouth doesn't he?

His "smug intellectual that's just operating on a different level than all the rest of us" style has really run its course, that's for sure.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Writer Cath posted:

I'm going to pick up Subnautica when it's on sale. That game looks pretty as hell.

It definitely is, I just goof around with it in freeform mode and built myself a giant undersea base.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
One of my more recent cinematic interests is Italian poliziotteschi crime drama films, and I'm watching one right now where the main bad guy looks uncannily like Jaime Lannister, and it's really throwing me off.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

TTBF posted:

I imagine you've already put it on your list or seen it, but in case you haven't check out Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion because its amazing.

It's definitely on my list, for sure. Italian cinema in general is great because no matter what movie trend was popular from the 1950s to the 1980s, they immediately cranked out like 300 films to capitalize on it. Sword and sandal stuff like the Hercules films, superhero movies, spy thrillers, slasher movies, post-apocalypse, violent crime/vigilante dramas...they have it all. And the reason for that (as I learned in the great documentary Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films That Ruled the '70s) was because back in the day Italian TV only had like one or two channels, but there were something like 14,000 movie theaters across Italy; so the majority of Italians used to just go out to the movies instead of staying in to watch TV.

And Maurizio Merli is the drat man. :c00lbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Von Linus posted:

I have started getting interested in British crime dramas. Watching They Drive By Night, from like 1938, about a petty criminal who finds a girl he knows murdered, and then becomes a lorry driver in the midlands because no one ever suspects the lorry driver. It's mad actually, everyone is shouting ''ere Beryl, Arf a mo!' and speaking cockney at each other with impeccable pronunciation. Plus the hero hides in a News Theatre. This is a theatre which just shows newsreels. It's a snapshot of a bygone time.

Along the same lines, whenever I need the cinematic equivalent of comfort food, I just put on Terror by Night from 1946, which is probably my favorite out of the Sherlock Holmes films that starred Basil Rathbone. It takes place almost entirely on a train, and feels quite British indeed even though it's completely a Hollywood production. It's sort of like when I watch a classic Doctor Who episode, it takes me back to cozy winter nights spent indoors huddled in front of the TV while wrapped in a blanket, sipping on hot chocolate. :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Got around to watching Turbo Kid last night, and I can only describe it as a sci-fi/post-apocalyptic version of Ash vs. Evil Dead. Naturally, I loved it. Especially the retrowave soundtrack, it was sooo good.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Robotech blew my mind as a kid because it was the first cartoon show I'd watched where a character got killed off. That didn't happen in American cartoons, even G.I. Joe just had the Cobra pilots bailing out of their planes when they got shot down.

Also even as a kid I wondered why Rick didn't just go for Lisa and kick Minmei to the curb, but then that was also before I started to get actual real world experience with how weird and complicated the whole romance thing can be.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Just woke up to hear about Bourdain. Very sad news indeed. :smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I like the original Halloween the best because it focused on being a scary film, and not on "let's see how creative we can get with the gore" like so many of the imitators that followed it. Not that I have anything against gory movies (Carpenter's The Thing and the original Dawn of the Dead are two of my all-time favorite movies), but more often than not slasher flicks just aren't scary.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

achillesforever6 posted:

I just wish the Halloween franchise became a Halloween themed anthology series instead of the "Michael Myers series"

That's what Carpenter wanted to do starting with Halloween III: Season of the Witch, but apparently audiences weren't up for it at the time, so they went back to Michael Myers instead.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

coconono posted:

There was this Cronenberg horror joint that I absolutely loved. It was the one where they had this Canadian high rise building get hit with a horny zombie virus. Its absolute carnage. gently caress was that?" doing all 90 minutes. Blair Witch blew my mind. I didn't know you could make a movie that tense.

That was Shivers aka They Came From Within and it is indeed great. Early Cronenberg body horror is some of the best stuff, ever, really. Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome... :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

also this, everyone go watch cannibal holocaust

If it's all the same to you guys, I'll skip the movie with scenes of actual animal cruelty, thanks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Chris James 2 posted:

Cannibal Holocaust has an opening theme that's legit one of my favorite pieces of music ever, and that's probably one of the only positives I have to say about it, if not the only positive

There is a bit of an interesting bit of trivia surrounding the film, though: Ruggero Deodato, the movie's director, apparently studied at the Bill Watts School of Kayfabe, as he signed most of the actors to contracts that prevented them from appearing or working in any other media for a year after production wrapped, to add to the illusion that the movie was a real "found footage" film. So they basically stayed out of sight for a full year, so nobody could say they saw them in another movie or TV show or whatever.

Then he got arrested for obscenity charges shortly after the film was released...and after viewing the film, the courts added murder to the charges as well, believing they had an actual snuff film on their hands, as some of the deaths depicted in the movie looked a bit too authentic. And since the actors were basically hiding out for a year, supposedly nobody had seen them alive since the film had wrapped. Whoops! :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, the other positives were "it wasn't an actual snuff film, so the crew were only Almost imprisoned for life", and "it gave other filmmakers an all-time example of what not to do"

Also a good exercise in hypocrisy, since Deodato claimed it was a critique of the lengths the media will go to get a controversial story for ratings/sales/etc. ... which he achieved by actually doing a lot of the poo poo in his film that he was supposedly critical of the media doing themselves.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

they ate the turtle afterward, damnit

Did they eat the tarantula, too?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm back from vacation and it was great and I keep having to remind myself that my life is good and I should be grateful because MAN do I want to be back in Bermuda. Or on a cruise ship. Or just not 'going to work tomorrow' :P

what did i miss, anything cool?

Everyone discovered a new appreciation for the early works of David Cronenberg.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so loving psyched for that game.

Hell to the yeah :hfive:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I finally got around to watching Thor Ragnarok and man was that a fun movie. And oh my GOD Cate Blanchett as Hela :swoon:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Thor 3 was good except for every scene with Hela. Lame-rear end boring villain who sucked. The only good Marvel villains are Vulture, Thanos, and Kingpin.

Look at this incorrect opinion. Just look at it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Dimebags Brain posted:

The fact that people like Hela is genuinely shocking to me. She was so terrible and boring. and I rolled my eyes so hard when the first thing she did was shatter Thor's hammer. It reeked of the lame rear end overpowered villains that bad DM's make when they're mad at their players.

Or, perhaps they needed to up the stakes a bit, considering the villain was laying siege to the literal domain of the Norse gods, and that the main protagonists of the movie were two Norse gods and the living embodiment of pure rage?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
So I'm looking at finally getting around to buying a PS4, and I looked in Games at the PS4 thread, but figured I'd ask y'all ITT too: is the PS4 Pro (currently around $350) worth it, or should I get a PS4 Slim or whatever for around $299 and put the money saved towards some games or whatever?

I do have a 4K TV but I'm just wondering if the extra $50-60 for the Pro is going to be worth it, or if all the extra fancy graphics stuff that the Pro can do won't really be noticeable when I'm running around shooting stuff in Horizon Zero Dawn or jumping around in Uncharted or whatnot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Spikeguy posted:

You may as well get a pro unless you're strapped for cash. Also there's a sale on ps4 games happening right now so you can get some pretty good ones cheap. I think it ends around June 18th.

I figure if I can pony up $300 for a PS4, I can probably cough up the additional $50-60 to get the Pro, I just figured I'd see what other people thought before making a final decision. I'll probably be getting it next week sometime. Part of what spurred me on to finally decide to get one was seeing Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition for $20, along with the Uncharted collection and The Last of Us for $10 apiece in that sale you mentioned. There's a bunch of other games I'll pick up over time as well (not a huge rush since I still have a huge PC backlog of games to play still, too :sweatdrop:).

TTBF posted:

Even if you didn't have a 4k TV I'd still suggest the Pro because you can set it to run games better at 1080p instead of outputting 4k

I'd read that, along with some people saying that their games that experienced stuttering or other graphical issues on an older PS4 had zero problems when running on the Pro, so that definitely tilted me towards the pro-Pro (:v:) side a bit more.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I do recommend spacing out Uncharted. I really enjoyed the games but I played through all four in the space of roughly a month and it gets exhausting and kinda-samey after awhile even though the games undoubtedly get more impressive/better paced as they go along.

Oh for sure, I'll probably play something else in between each game, so I don't get burned out too fast on the setting/characters/gameplay.

coconono posted:

the wifi on the pro is a bit less flakey too.

I'll be hooking it up via Ethernet so no worries there. :)

drrockso20 posted:

Bloodborne needs to be one of your first purchases for it

It's definitely on the list. :buddy:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Get pro and get horizon, then wait breathlessly for spider-man like the rest of us

I just watched some gameplay footage of Spider-Man and I was a combo of :aaa: and :swoon:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I just found out that Steve Albini won the World Series of Poker, so that was a cool interesting bit of music-related trivia (and poker-related trivia too, I guess). :v:

https://twitter.com/WSOP/status/1008260684025495552

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hey so I have kind of a strange question for those posters here from outside the US. I'm really interested in PSAs, those involving things like DUI/Domestic Abuse/Drinking etc.

My question is, in your country what is the most prevalent type of PSA that you see. In the US I noticed most of them are drug related focusing on meth/weed. I've seen online that places like New Zealand seem to focus more on binge drinking. Can anyone pass on info?

As a fellow Yank, Rifftrax taught me that this one is something Aussies are particularly concerned about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZL1rY51Vdk

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Snagged a PS4 Pro today, and got a hell of a deal on it, too! Even though the big PlayStation sale was over, the store I bought it from forgot to take down the sale price stickers, so I still got it for $50 off...AND a friend there let me use their 10% discount as well! All told I got it for around $315 (before sales tax). :toot:

Downloading Horizon Zero Dawn as I type this. :dance:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
As mentioned a few days back, I got hold of a PS4 Pro, and started building up my game library thanks to various sales:

Uncharted PS4 collection
Last of Us Remastered
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous Second Son
Witcher 3 complete
Tomb Raider PS4 definitive
Sleeping Dogs PS4 definitive

I already owned Witcher 3 and Sleeping Dogs on PC, but I wanted to be able to play them on the big TV without having to fiddle around with Steam Link (which usually works fine but does have the occasional glitch when gaming).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Baron Corbin posted:

you're gonna want Monster Hunter World and Everybody's Golf

Already planned on MHW :c00l: How is Everybody's Golf though? I'm not a fan of golf by any means, but oddly enough I enjoy playing it in video games for some reason.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Thanks for the PS4 recommendations, all! A bunch of the games like Bloodborne and the Yakuza series are definitely already on my "to buy" list. I just have to be careful not to fall down the same gaming backlog rabbit hole that I did with the PC (thanks to sales on Steam, and GOG, and Humble Bundles, and getting free games via Twitch Prime, and... :sweatdrop:).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Accident Underwater posted:

Should I buy a ps4 pro if I have a 4k tv or just stick with the the cheaper model?

I had this same question just a little while back and can definitely state that the extra money for the Pro is worth it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I grabbed a pre-owned copy of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for the PS4 for $10, and let me tell you, the ability to fling the dead bodies of your enemies around like literal ragdolls was worth the price of purchase alone

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

achillesforever6 posted:

gently caress Harlan Ellison died

I know :smith:

But at least he had a good long life, that he lived mostly on his own terms. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

TV Zombie posted:

What are some good Ellison reads to check out for the uninitiated?

Pretty much any of his short story collections, though I'll give special mention to The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World, since it was the first one of his that I read.

For non-fiction, Harlan Ellison's Watching, which is a collection of his film reviews and essays on life in Tinseltown.