Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I went and saw Infinity War and it was great. I highly recommend it.

Also I really wanna play God of War but I've made it a rule not to buy games full price when you can usually get a pretty good discount even in the same year. Like last year when Mordor 2 came out and like 2 months later it was half off.

So right now I'm replaying a modded out version of Mass Effect 3 - which I really enjoy because I can just turn my brain off for the stuff I don't like. The modding on that game is a beast and I love it even more because before it came out there was a lot of talk about how it was basically unmoddable. I have yet to actually see an unmoddable game if the community actually wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

3 is far, far superior to Witcher 2. I say that as somebody who loved Witcher 2, but 3 does everything so much better it's kinda surreal.

Also if you've been with the series since 1, and I'm talking even before the Enhanced Edition of 1, then to see where they are now might be the biggest leap in quality I've ever seen from a developer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

I'm waiting for someone to mod Dead Space 3 so I can play the Carver story missions without being in co-op.

What I'd love to see is a mod for the ending to Mass Effect 3 where you can pick the option to go down swinging and instead of automatically losing you get a victory, either by the skin of your teeth or a Pyrrhic victory if your War Score was high enough.

Hey Cobi, earlier you mentioned tax dollars paying you. Are you federal or state? I work for state government and I spend a lot of time bullshitting online so I'm with you. But frankly the amount of work I have is doable with lots of time left over.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's seen a few improvements and it has a ton of mods too. The gameplay is the most fun part of it, especially movement. BUT! I don't think the mods will be able to do much with the boring mission layout, the useless loading screens on the galaxy map or the story that just feels so pointless. I'd say try it in small bursts.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can't remember if they fixed that. I tried getting back into it a few months ago but I just couldn't keep up the drive. I don't really know how to explain it, it just doesn't have any pull.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fart blood posted:

Janelle Monae's new album is terrific and if you don't like Janelle Monae you deserve to have Michael Cole do commentary on your life forever and you can't mute it.

I'm not familiar, please link your favorite track for judgement.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So my 6 year old daughter's two front teeth were loose but she didn't want to pull them out. Thing is, the new ones were starting to poke out behind them. I've already been through this with her bottom ones so while she was sleeping I took them both out in one quick motion. She got up in a daze and then got so excited because she knew I'd put presents under her pillow.

Now she looks so loving cute with this big gap in her teeth and her fangs being more prominent. She's my shark girl.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Just saw Infinity War. I'm dead serious when I say it might be the best popcorn action film I have ever seen. It hits every note perfectly. Comedy, awesome as hell action, drama, incredible villain, visuals etc.

Best marvel film by far and this is from someone who loves all of them.

Yes

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My dad went missing when I was a kid because he blacked out somewhere and didn't know how to get home. He was eventually picked up by police but he was so out of it they put him in a mental institute. After that he started doing AA and never touched another drop. Go do AA right away, don't put it off. It will help you.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah and I should have realized when they shut down Marvel Avenger's Alliance and all that money I spent on it was pointless (it was a good game too)

I'm trying to think what is the best Mr. Show sketch, I think it might be Pre-Taped Call In Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhVbLJvYP8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAFv1sI6TU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

VJeff posted:

Good news, they've started uploaded Dontaku matches to World! And they started with the match everybody wants to see!

:suicide:

Anyway if you guys are gonna post Mr. Show, I'm gonna post Whitest Kids U Know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvjgIxuVdo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct2AWh-nKSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2avYmpZ35s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's all good baby. It's the void for us all, so find someone to get warm with at night. Best we can hope for.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

what are you going to name your Pillars 2 ship. If you do it. The top ship in your fleet only please

Roach. All ships are named Roach.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone else enjoy using save edits in rpgs to overpower your character as soon as the program is created? I have no qualms about cheating in games, at least single player games.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Best is a subjective term you know, so you can't just.... oh wait, New Vegas? Yeah, best Fallout.

So I've beaten New Vegas but I don't quite get the best fallout mentality. Like I wanna know if I'm missing something. What about it makes it the best one? Specific examples appreciated :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Not of Hamlet unfortunately, but this post reminded me that everybody should check out Ian McKellan's film adaptation of Richard III, because holy poo poo it is loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1kaanjd8M

That is without a doubt my favorite alt. take on a history movie ever.

This is another one of my favorites. I just love how everyone is so grimy and a little unhinged. Like the dude's the loving king and he's still dragging his cape through the mud and living in cold castle. Also, Peter O'FuckinToole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjiIqu1-bI

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

God of war is amazing

Pillars of eternity 2 is also amazing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

I felt really bad about killing that dragón in GOW

Also Snatcher and Policenauts are masterpieces

Man, we really shouldn't live in space. But we gonna because gently caress scientists. We'll brute force this poo poo drat it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone know the 1st game that let you play the bad guy? I imagine it was something like Dungeon Keeper or to a lesser extent Wario Land.

What's the first game ya'll played where you just went hog wild playing the villain.

It was KOTOR for me and it made such an impression that every Bioware game from Baldur's Gate - Jade Empire I made sure to do the bad guy route first.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Zed with a bullet.

Hightower as a close second.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My grandma recently died and it's been hitting me in waves. She was a lovely woman, and possibly the nicest person I've ever known personally. I'm an atheist and generally have a low opinion about religious people but if you had to pick a person to represent the best qualities of Christianity she'd be a top pick. So I'm usually fine and then just hit with a wave of depression. I miss her a lot.

On the happier side of things, I decided to pick up God of War 4 and it's a lot of fun.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yea ok posted:

Started playin xeno gears

There are so many great RPGs I need to play especially from the PS1 era. I got about halfway through that one and stop playing I want to go back though

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The bigfoot was and still is my favorite pizza of all time. Check out this commercial from 1993. It features the dude that played Carlos in Freddy's dead and an even younger version of the kid from Sixth Sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOF8YB56BnQ

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I also liked The Last Jedi and don't really understand the argument that it turned expectations on its head in a bad way but then Infinity War gets praised for turning expectations on its head in a good way.

But don't get it twisted, I liked Infinity War way more.

In fact I don't really like the Star Wars movies nearly as much as other series like The Matrix, all of the MCU and my personal favorite - The Lord of the Rings.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

witcher 3 is good and cyberpunk 2077 will be even better

#teamyen

He's right guys.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have pretty good health insurance thankfully because I work for the state, but like someone said before Dental Insurance is basically worthless. Also it really pisses me off that somehow eye care and teeth care are not linked to "health" insurance. Apparently even though dental care has been linked to heart disease it's not really a health insurance issue. I have a giant gap between my back tooth and gums because a wisdom tooth is pushing the tooth out of the way but gently caress I'd rather live with the pain of an exposed nerve than waste my family's money.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vaguido posted:

Heavy Rain is an amazing piece of artwork. Beyond Two Souls is great too. I'm buying Detroit: Become Human on Friday and I'm excited to see what kind of insane fever dream David Cage has put together this time.

I'd be fine with David Cage's weird poo poo if it didn't come with so much awful poo poo for female characters, and not to mention actual human women like Ellen Paige dealing with the nude character models she didn't give permission to be made.

Like just take Madison for example. In the span of about 1 day she has a home invasion nightmare where she's running away from like 3 dudes with knives in her underwear, she's assaulted by a crazy man in a basement, she's forced at gunpoint to strip by a criminal and then she decides now's the time to start a romance with Ethan. It's really really gross.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah this poo poo derails Heavy Rain real loving bad. Tomb Raider did a similar thing but that at least was just 'OH gently caress GNARLY' deaths rather than 'Oh man sure hope this doesn't become a awful rape/snuff scene in this game' that Heavy Rain does.

Huge chunks of HR felt like it was made for those creeps who post long compilations of women in video games getting murdered on youtube.

You can find the same kind of nonsense in every single one of his games. It ranges from "man this guy just doesn't get women" to "holy gently caress this is dark". For example in Omicron he's said in interviews he made a part in the game specifically because he wanted to explore what it would be like to inhabit a guys body and have sex with his wife. Then in Beyond Two Souls there's the double alley scene when you're homeless and we get to explore what it's like to give a blowjob for some food/money. That was fun. And not gross at all. Frankly Indigo Prophecy is the tamest of them all. That one just involves zombie love scenes after they meet for like a day.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yakuza are great "movies as games" but also with a whole bunch of game in it if you want it. Like you basically have to shut your brain off to go from super serious yakuza crime drama to real estate management minigames with money battles. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also in regards to Quantic Dreams, the studio overall got better as time went on, in regards to their artists and programmers. The jump in quality since even just Indigo Prophecy is amazing. Hell I'm even willing to pin the control schemes on David Cage because he probably thought it was more artistic to steer your character like a race car. I'd love to see what that company could put out without him.

But then again, he's a name in the business and maybe he's the reason they get projects.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Omikron is a game that was created where the creator tried his very best to make sure no one would be able to finish it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Reminder David Cage has admitted that when he met Ellen Paige he'd been staring at photos of her from the age 8 and onwards in a photo album. He's said this as if it wasn't creepy. That coupled with what later happened makes it extremly uncomfortable. David Cage is a scumbag and frankly I've stopped buying his games because of it. I hope he fails.

https://kotaku.com/the-video-game-that-began-with-pictures-of-ellen-page-1440500148

And David uses Ellen as a prop to prove he's not homophobic because of course he loving does.

https://www.destructoid.com/david-cage-can-t-be-homophobic-because-ellen-page-482453.phtml

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Depression sucks rear end my dudes. I hope no one else here feels that way. God bless.

It comes and goes. Or at least I think that's what it is. It could be low self-esteem too. I have a pretty good life but sometimes don't feel like I deserve it. Still I feel good right now so there's that :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fart blood posted:

Ya know between these David Cage stories I never heard before (i'm not much of a gamer) and the new allegations against Morgan Freeman, I'm starting to think we men might be creeps and women might have it tough in the world.

Oh poo poo what Morgan Freeman stories...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Heavy Rain has a shitload of flaws but the game's twist is masterfully done and might be one of coolest plot twists integrated into gameplay in gaming history.

But it doesn't make sense once you think about it. You can listen to your characters thoughts in that game. Not to mention the plot hole because there was even crazier plot points that were removed due to how batshit they were involving psychic links between two characters. But by removing them, certain actions no longer made sense.

What's the policy on spoiling poo poo games?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Every once in awhile I'll load up a Bethesda game and install about a hundred and fifty mods just to see if I can make it run. I don't know if I've ever played a game to completion that I mod it out completely except for the Mass Effect series and Witcher series.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Golden Girls is one of the best shows of all time and Dorothy is the best of the girls. Sofia is the worst by a large margin.

My favorite quote is she uprooted a mighty Sequoia.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if I've turned on a creator any harder than I turned on George Lucas.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God drat it...what Joss Whedon sex scandal stuff...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Suicide Squad was not the worst movie I've ever seen but it sure is hell the most obnoxious.

For me that award belongs forever to The Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It's not the worst I've read either (I've read Identity Crisis), but it's really, really bad and Millar's worst tendencies are all super in your face.

I'd say Final Crisis and Kick rear end 2 were my least favorite. I wanted to like Wanted but call my old fashioned, there's just too much rape in it. Like more than 0.