Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

these two posts back to back ftw

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

lmao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

elf help book posted:

at least mgs4 has actual camera angles during cutscenes

lol yeah like why is one take a good thing in games? Cool i get to see all this poo poo from the same boring gameplay angle now instead of creative well considered angles that show off the action and details of the levels design :thumbsup:

its not like a one take has to be a well rehearsed and perfectly shot performance its a video game. they just spawn the models in

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

elf help book posted:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the video game one take aesthetic bc it's the only form of animation where it's possible to do without a bajillion dollars, and one take cinema is just live theatre which is boring. But I don't need every game to look like God of War (2018)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

HORMELCHILI posted:

lol yeah like why is one take a good thing in games? Cool i get to see all this poo poo from the same boring gameplay angle now instead of creative well considered angles that show off the action and details of the levels design :thumbsup:

its not like a one take has to be a well rehearsed and perfectly shot performance its a video game. they just spawn the models in

new god of war has a long part where youre climbing up the inside of a giant frozen statue or something with the intention of making it topple but they never manage to show off the scale of what youre doing because the cameras always gotta be right behind you. youre falling with the thing and its shown with some dogshit batman begins camera shakes and someone yelling "that was crazy!!!!"

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training posted:

I like the video game one take aesthetic bc it's the only form of animation where it's possible to do without a bajillion dollars, and one take cinema is just live theatre which is boring. But I don't need every game to look like God of War (2018)

What?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

yakuza 0 has more expressive cutscenes that are practically visual novels with camera angles and simple canned animations

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The old GoW games had scenes where you were climbing something enormous and the camera would pull out to show how massive the scale was, it was cool

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

elf help book posted:

yakuza 0 has more expressive cutscenes that are practically visual novels with camera angles and simple canned animations

yeah and they dont even animate peoples eyes or eyebrows

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the one take is crap because you can't skip cutscenes like this is half life 2 or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

the one take is crap because you can't skip cutscenes like this is half life 2 or something

The poo poo they do to mask loading times is extremely obvious

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Well yeah but it doesn't mean you can't do cool poo poo with single take cutscenes. Like the MGSV stuff where you're wandering around and suddenly the dust picks up and sahalenthropous and all the skulls emerge and suddenly snake is upside down next to a monologuing skull face. That stuff is cool

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

elf help book posted:

new god of war has a long part where youre climbing up the inside of a giant frozen statue or something with the intention of making it topple but they never manage to show off the scale of what youre doing because the cameras always gotta be right behind you. youre falling with the thing and its shown with some dogshit batman begins camera shakes and someone yelling "that was crazy!!!!"

the wide shot scenery budget went to scenes of kratos apologizing to every god he murdered in I-III

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I can imagine the one take thing really working for some small scale adventure game where you have to solve a mystery in a specific location over a period of time like The Last Express or something but it really doesn’t mesh well at all with a massive grand fantasy adventure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The best game I can think of that use that effect is Antichamber bc all the puzzles are dependent upon very particular perspectives and it's a great meshing of style and design

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

does antichamber ever take control away from the player?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Hey get this: every fps game is one take

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im just saying, those lakitus need to unionize and get breaks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

Hey get this: every fps game is one take

:staredog:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The worst part of the crafting system is how unnecessary it is. Minus like two things, you don’t actually go out and harvest/find the materials you just get them as rewards from fights and treasure chests, instead of actual loot. Just give me the freaking belt for fighting these guys, don’t make me go back to the shop for it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I treied to look up the antichamber dev to see what else he's done and he just fell off the map completely after that game came out. bummer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The worst part of the crafting system is how unnecessary it is. Minus like two things, you don’t actually go out and harvest/find the materials you just get them as rewards from fights and treasure chests, instead of actual loot. Just give me the freaking belt for fighting these guys, don’t make me go back to the shop for it

yea i think this is something most games with crafting get very wrong, if you feel like you have little control over what youre getting, and theres little perceived meaning behind the objects you get to craft, the players never like "oh hell yes a Imp's Fire Turd" when they pick it up, and it all feels meaningless and you just check the crafting store something to see whats unlocked now. you may as well just unlock stuff in the store at random, or as the player progress, because it feels exactly the same except now they have to run around opening chests and picking up the objects they dont care about with a vague feeling that those things will eventually help them maybe

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't even care about any of the stats besides strength

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The new God of War has crafting?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The new God of War has crafting?

elf help book posted:

this game has xp, money, skill trees, separate equipable upgradeable skills you have to find, weapon upgrades, weapon handle upgrades, armor upgrades, stat points including luck, collectibles you can sell for money, quests to kill certain numbers of enemies, quests to kill them in particular ways, lore collectibles, resources needed for crafting armor upgrades, zelda like collect x heart pieces to get more hp, and a codex.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To be fair the old GoW games had collect x heart pieces to get more HP too

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I will say I like that they give you the option to upgrade armor you like to keep using it instead of switching to newer stuff just because it’s a higher Important Stat, but until the very end it all gets out-leveled eventually so it didn’t even matter

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
pay me .01 cents per impression, and i'll write you an essay about how the single take "mechanic" represents the sobering sad dad realization of how once you have a child they keep living unless they die

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah and they dont even animate peoples eyes or eyebrows

Just how much weed are those Japanese smoking?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

pay me .01 cents per impression, and i'll write you an essay about how the single take "mechanic" represents the sobering sad dad realization of how once you have a child they keep living unless they die

Say no more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can imagine the one take thing really working for some small scale adventure game where you have to solve a mystery in a specific location over a period of time like The Last Express or something but it really doesn’t mesh well at all with a massive grand fantasy adventure

I felt it clashed. I said as much in the actual thread and 10 angry nerds spawned out of the ground to do word battle

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The poo poo they do to mask loading times is extremely obvious

Yes, and at this point I'd rather have a loading screen if the mechanics of hidden load times are going to involve really, really bad slow climbing that requires me to manipulate camera angles like a chud

Game is good, but none of its problems were acknowledged amid the torrent of 10/10 hyperbole

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Just played GoW3 for the first time. Really neat game, even though I think I kinda liked 2 more... One of the things that stuck out most was how completely unremarkable the score was, like they decided to ditch the really cool Mediterranean/Gnostic sounding music of previous games and replace it with painfully generic blockbuster epic orchestra stuff. I also didn’t care about how you don’t even get to fight any of the Gods in a real one on one fight except for Zeus.

The highlight of the game was definitely the part where you battle Cronos (even though that part where you break his fingernail apart and rip it out is probably the most uneasy a game had made me in like a decade)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

*running in circles in the "fast travel world" while the level is loading, praying for the teleport to appear already* wow, it's all shot in one take
*very slowly crawling through a tunnel for the 20th time while the other side of it is loading* holy poo poo, the game never takes you out of the action
*solving a tedious physical puzzle because there's a single wooden plank nailed to the top of the ledge because the next room needs time to load* a remarkable technical achievement
*watching cutscenes, fully voice-acted and mo-caped explaining the game's lore on dwarves magically traveling between planes of existence following Kratos around because he still needs to stumble across shops on his one-take adventure* mindblowing how they did it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Palpek posted:

*running in circles in the "fast travel world" while the level is loading, praying for the teleport to appear already* wow, it's all shot in one take
*very slowly crawling through a tunnel for the 20th time while the other side of it is loading* holy poo poo, the game never takes you out of the action
*solving a tedious physical puzzle because there's a single wooden plank nailed to the top of the ledge because the next room needs time to load* a remarkable technical achievement
*watching cutscenes, fully voice-acted and mo-caped explaining the game's lore on dwarves magically traveling between planes of existence following Kratos around because he still needs to stumble across shops on his one-take adventure* mindblowing how they did it

heh heh, yeah

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Hellblade wasn't entirely one take but I thought it did that approach really well. Hellblade is also the reason I probably won't be playing God of War for like a year.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hellblade wasn't entirely one take but I thought it did that approach really well. Hellblade is also the reason I probably won't be playing God of War for like a year.

Word. Too much psychological trauma.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Word. Too much psychological trauma.

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

please stop saying you do takes in a videogame like you're shooting on phsyical film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Somebody never beat Silent Hill :rolleyes:

• Locked thread