Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am secret goebbels (this is A Sign Up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite president is Don Johnald Trump because he's Making America Great Again

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Sorry guys, it just happened to be a very inconvenient time for the game to start because I was gone all weekend. I am here now.

me too let's bash the fash

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
:hfive:

i was thinking this game was going to be relatively easy to solve but now after actually seeing what kind of information we have this is super wifomy

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
what is the point of the not looking back past 1 day prior rule? i feel like i'm missing some component of the game where that would be important? or is it just that when you play this IRL you're not keeping track of everything so it's trying to make PBP as close to the real thing as possible?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i would also vote yes to confirm myself (i'm assuming that is allowed)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
##vote yes

thiiiis is hooow we doooo iiiiiiit

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i know what's up

:whatup:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I did in fact get 2 liberal policies

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Did I miss the part about how the assassination works

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I just opened the actual rules page for the first time and holy poo poo :eyepop: that's a lot of words

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

I disagree with the idea that we'd gain any more information if I'd given him a lib and fasc to choose from, though. Like I said, I would expect both a liberal and a fascist to pick the liberal policy at this point in the game.

And also like I said, it is important to know when liberal policies get discarded, and I want the liberals keeping their eyes on that.

agreed, it seems like this kind of game really doesn't get rolling until the first fascist policy gets passed

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Bastardly posted:

How would you employ the benefit of the first fascist policy and why?

i would probably policy peek at this current juncture. i don't have anything to go on in terms of investigation/execution and it'd just be a blind shot in the dark, and i don't see any reason to interrupt the current order of the presidency

at least that way i could potentially catch someone in a lie next turn

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of which, are presidential actions public?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
oh wtf i can't pick okay

in that case i'd probably pick either of our former presidents to investigate, or the next person in line for presidency, since i think that'd give the most actionable information at this state of the game

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

Why do you think that CPig is a more important person than kumba?

In my opinion, CPig isn't nearly as important as kumba for several reasons. As I stated earlier he wasn't given a choice and he's going to be in a position of incredible power when his presidency comes up. And it's very likely that the special election gets run before kumba is President. If we know that kumba is a liberal then we can get kumba elected for the special election and then have him be the president again shortly afterwards.

CapnAndy posted:

I agree with this.

There's a chance it doesn't work, but it requires the fascists to get absurdly lucky, and if they're caught out later we find out basically who the entire fascist team is. I'll take that chance.

i agree with both of these things

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I've been following loosely, but I think that Kumba is probably a better investigation over pig.

i'm the best

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Sorry I know I'm being lurky just trying to wrap my head around the way this game plays out.

I agree with TMM about kumba.

since when have you ever hesitated just posting whatever?? WHY SO RESERVED MR PIG??

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

We ready for nomination? Or more chat?

still thinking TMM? sounds fine to me

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

i was confused what TMM was doing before this post, but i think this all makes sense. ##vote yes

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd be alright with a DB investigation.

yeah i'm cool with that or me or RF, i think any of those 3 are good choices

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

lmao , like , even if you are an experienced player who reads up on all the latest strategies on the internet. When I play board games with my friends I never once looked on the internet to figure out all the top strats the pros are using.

yeah i never once thought to myself that i should google optimal_secret_hitler_strategy.txt

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am referencing kb's post wherein he posted a link to a secret hitler strategy website that is not the same one as in the OP

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the fixation on me is totally rational, because i am the best

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

For what it's worth, what I've taken from this conversation thus far is I should probably be investigating RF. He seems like the closest to a consensus choice between the various possibilities.

If I was submitting right now, that is who it would be. Seems to hit the sweet spot of nearish president, potential lynch pin president, probably won't be the 2nd person with the investigation.

So feel free to continue to post and sway me off that choice if you have a stronger candidate.

sounds good to me

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

Actually doesn't RF have the highest chance to get the 2nd investigation? Remember, RF will be the first person to use a reshuffled deck unless we purposely go through 2 chaos government pulls after the CPig government but before the next one.

Right now there are 3 liberal cards out of 8 which means that CPig has something like an 80% chance of getting one of them. And then if he only picks one liberal card then DB would have 2 liberal cards left out of 5.

i would think it to be highly unlikely we pass 2 liberal policies in the next two presidencies

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

Yeah but if that's the case then it's because someone in there is a fascist.

or they pulled 3 fascist cards

but more to my point was that it's incredibly unlikely that it makes it all the way to RF before the 2nd investigation has already happened, so he does not have the highest chance of getting to use it

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
we also don't know for sure that there's 3 liberal cards left given that someone could have lied somewhere, so banking on that seems unwise

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

That would be a pretty unlucky pull if the card count is right. There's like a 90% chance to pull a liberal card with 2 out of 5.

right, but 40% of the game are fascists

all of these things combined do not make your hypothesis anywhere close to guaranteed

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Chancellors have a hard time lying about that, though -- I know you didn't. Unless PMush/whoever (that was the first president/chancellor team, right?) are both fascists, we can trust that the chancellor did indeed get one fascist and one liberal card the first time around. And the odds that PMush and myself are both fascists are pretty bad.

Just do the investigate already though, seriously, we can play silly statistics games forever.

right, but PMush could have thrown out a liberal card and lied about it without the chancellor coming into the equation at all. same with you

but yes i agree, investigate someone already

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

I understand both of these things but fascists are also sort of forced to play more liberally early in the game or they can give themselves away, so I feel like early information is probably true even if it's from a fascist.

I think we have to assume there is at least 1 liberal card left in the deck as I would assume the chances of PMush/CapnAndy/KB all being fascist AND all pulling an extra liberal card are astronomical. If the count is wrong, then it's probably one of Pmush or KB. I mean I guess CapnAndy could have picked 3 liberal cards but I think that's unlikely.

fair

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you are ignoring the possibility of the person using the investigation themselves being fascist, invalidating said investigation

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Futurist posted:

Should be me. I kind of have to pick a liberal policy now, even if I was a fascist.

lol nice try

i think i believe KB especially after this post

CapitalistPig posted:

I am inclined to say AA or kumba

i'm down for that, i dont have a good read on AA so would be nice to have some info

right now my Secret Hitler Lumpen List looks like

totally liberal: myself, tmm
probably liberal: kb, andy
neutral: cpig, AA, pmush, DB
probably fash: byers
totally fash: rf

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
my read on TMM is gut based on games we've played together in the past

CapnAndy posted:

TMM is a bit more obvious of a case, I think. He's been talking and talking and talking and yet somehow it all always adds up to very little; he advocates bad plans and goes inquisitorial about why people won't immediately fall in line with them and yet doesn't defend the plans all that fiercely when pushed back, and always seems to have two opinions and three possibilities about any one subject.

this is TMM as a person, not necessarily TMM as a fascist. his wordiness, convoluted and wandering as it may be, is much more in line with his good guy play imo. i would expect him to be much more reserved if he were fash

could be hitler, i guess, but i dont see TMM as a general fash

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
wait am i allowed to read back that far? i thought i wasn't even supposed to look at the content prior to the previous session

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
OHHHHHH okay i see i misunderstood the specifics, gotcha

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Bastardly posted:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if kb and kumba were both fascists?

..i guess? that's awfully random, did you just decide to pick two names out of a hat to cast shade at or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm starting to lean on the kumba side of this disagreement, which is awkward because I've got gut that calls RF a lot scummier than KB.

are you saying you're on my side or you're on the side that disagrees with me

i agree that RF is scummier than KB, which would be agreeing with me, so why is that awkward

your wording is very weird

• Locked thread