Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Hogama posted:

Haven't watched S3 but a friend voiced concern that she really didn't like them playing the "letting her vent and then pulling her head out of her rear end because she's so irrational and he's just so understanding but he knows what's good for her" cliché straight since not only is Retsuko reeling and traumatized from being assaulted, her genuine safety concerns are left unaddressed so the show can go back to the status quo.

Yep, it was a super lovely "you got assaulted, get over it" kind of speech, which didn't give room to acknowledge her post-trauma (which was very well shown, I must add).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I still roll my eyes in season 2 when her boyfriend offered her automatic gay luxury space communism and she turned it down due to paper work giving her "purpose".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Solar Tornado posted:

Yep, it was a super lovely "you got assaulted, get over it" kind of speech, which didn't give room to acknowledge her post-trauma (which was very well shown, I must add).

Inui dodged a bullet imo :colbert:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I came to post that Haida is dum and made me n my wife irl mad :argh:

I also came to say that Manakas name being spelled "Manaka" was very funny

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 3, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm just popping in to say so far (halfway thru case 2) the Great Pretender is pretty good. It goes into "I knew that you knew that I knew" territory pretty often but that's kinda par for the course when it comes to heist movies anyway, so...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I came to post thay Haida is dum and made me n my wife irl mad :argh:

I also came to say that Manakas name being spelled "Manaka" was very funny

:same:

Also I hope the idol crew comes back, I like them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Haida is definitely a "nice guy".

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I liked Leopard manager a lot. Yelling at fanboys because they're on their phones instead of getting hype.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm awake now and i'm still mad!

I enjoyed the fanboys becoming event staff at the end there. Very wholesome aside from Haida literally choosing to simp it.

I watch the English dub and Fennico(Fenico?) Has the best VO actor and laugh.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked Great Pretenders technicolor pastel palette. It was similar to Eizouken I thought and I'll probably be sick of it in a few years when it becomes the de riguer color for entertainment like blue/orange in the 2000s but for now its really nice.

I also really liked the credits where cats sing Queen.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

More Great Pretender thoughts: the first arc was by far the best. In the other arcs they needed to show Edamame being a bit more active and competent. He's too passive and they keep stressing that if you gently caress up you're out of the gang. No such thing as loyalty. So I feel like we really needed to see a bit more flashes of brilliance where we saw what the gang saw with a lot of raw talent but unmolded and uncontrolled. Its a difficult needle to thread where you also want to show that he keeps wanting to go straight and is always reluctant to join and that Laurent is a cool mastermind who even has the mistakes planned out but having those mistakes planned out takes away some agency from Edamame and makes him figuring out the angle on a con less impressive. I want more scenes like the one where he rents the razzie series and watches it all the way through because he was the only one who managed to see that it wasn't just a front for NotWeinstein

MMania
May 7, 2008
I'm interested to see how well the Great Pretender will stand the test of time, lots of shows with "look at these crazy twists" in them lose more in subsequent viewings than character driven stuff. That said, right after the visuals and music (which I don't think anyone can debate the quality of), my favorite part is the little dribbles of backstories we get over the course of the show. Of course they are going to con the rear end in a top hat-of-the-week out of tons of money, and of course this episode's Big Setback was either a) part of the plan or b) an excuse to show how awesome the gang is at improvising. But finally finding out why Edamame couldn't get a real job was.. I mean, wow. Suddenly a lot of strange actions made complete sense.

Or am I the only one that lost their minds during the last scene of the last episode when Laurent pulls out the ring from the ED?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Finished Season 3 of Aggretsuko, I liked it alot.

I remember that season 1 and 2 near the end, the only one that could set Retsuko on the path of solving her problem was Director Ton, but it didn't work this time.

Almost from the start of the show, Haida has always tried to impress Retsuko, always blushing, always incredibly awkward. For the first time he's not blushing anymore. It's like he's himself at the very end. They could finally be together or not, but Haida found the courage and helped her work through her fear. After all Haida knows what it's like to be cowardly, so he can relate to that. I think his character has had enough of being one.

At least that's how I looked at it. Dub work on this show is excellent.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Orbital Children hit Netflix yesterday. To celebrate Netflix also quietly added Mitsuo Iso’s previous series Den-Noh Coil to their catalogue. Have yet to see the former, will probably rewatch the latter now that’s it’s so conveniently available.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I finished watching Orbital Children. I overall enjoyed it but I feel it'd have worked better either as a standalone movie or a longer series.

Prepare for loads of :techno:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
From memory of watching it a decade ago, Dennoh Coil was a really introspective and interesting kid’s cyberpunk. Definitely worth checking out.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Saw the second season of GITS: SAC 2045. CG and action seem improved, but there are barely any stand alone moments, let alone episodes and most of the season is action-oriented. Really fumbled the ending too. It really fails to explore any concepts and I still don't know what N is the way they explain it is like a person living and existing in the real world and their ideal world frictionlessly but in practice I don't understand how that's supposed to work , but boy that kid sure liked 1984 book huh! I was hoping for some more 2nd GIG caliber stuff but overall very disappointing

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

only good part was the jin-roh navy seals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Saw the second season of GITS: SAC 2045. CG and action seem improved, but there are barely any stand alone moments, let alone episodes and most of the season is action-oriented. Really fumbled the ending too. It really fails to explore any concepts and I still don't know what N is the way they explain it is like a person living and existing in the real world and their ideal world frictionlessly but in practice I don't understand how that's supposed to work , but boy that kid sure liked 1984 book huh! I was hoping for some more 2nd GIG caliber stuff but overall very disappointing

I understood it that they were fulfilling their role in society (or just working their jobs at least) but they were happy to do so because internally they were seeing their equivalent of puppies and rainbows. Or it's an opiate of the masses thing? Going off the brain loop the Major experienced, though I recall there being ambiguity about 1984 Lad stating that he had no counter-measures against the Major being "here" [where he was finishing the programme off] - so the brain loop was just for her, because she's a true romantic, which doesn't really make much sense. It's been too long since I've seen SAC etc to recall how much this came up before.*

And this is only if the Major didn't pull the plug.

I enjoyed S2, though less so after the strong start - I enjoyed Posthumans suddenly appearing after hacking optics and the freeway fight etc but it got a bit more bogged down by the end. I'd also be happier with less big overarching plots and some case of the week stand alone episodes. Esaki was cool though and the aesthetic grew on me - Shin Tokyo was very cool and the OP and ED were stylish as heck.

*It'd be nice if SAC and Arise transferred from Funimation to Crunchyroll with the other shows that have done so already. Perhaps the licensing agreement won't allow it.