Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think Cannon Busters is slipping a lot of radars because people just kind of generally hate Netflix at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think Cannon Busters is slipping a lot of radars because people just kind of generally hate Netflix at the moment.

I have it on my list but just haven't had a chance yet.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

One weird thing with this show (and some other stuff on Netflix) the dubs is alot better written then the subs. I usually watch everything with Subtitles on because my house is noisy, but for foreign stuff on Netflix I'm realizing that they do a much better job on the dubs and it's super annoying when they don't match.
I'm only like 3 episodes in on this show but the dub writing has been much better/natural.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'll give it a shot at some point but the dumb WATCH OUR ANIME PLEASE doc they put out kind of left me tepid on a bunch of their properties.

Between shooting really basic promos for the shows (Busters guy was interesting and I would have liked more with him) the conceit being "I have no idea what anime is, let me bumble through these conveniently Netflix licensed properties to learn the mystic secrets of this art!" was just... guh.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

FilthyImp posted:

I'll give it a shot at some point but the dumb WATCH OUR ANIME PLEASE doc they put out kind of left me tepid on a bunch of their properties.

Between shooting really basic promos for the shows (Busters guy was interesting and I would have liked more with him) the conceit being "I have no idea what anime is, let me bumble through these conveniently Netflix licensed properties to learn the mystic secrets of this art!" was just... guh.

Glad I wasn't the only one who watched that and rightfully saw it as an ad targeted towards people who dont watch anime

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

One weird thing with this show (and some other stuff on Netflix) the dubs is alot better written then the subs. I usually watch everything with Subtitles on because my house is noisy, but for foreign stuff on Netflix I'm realizing that they do a much better job on the dubs and it's super annoying when they don't match.
I'm only like 3 episodes in on this show but the dub writing has been much better/natural.

To be fair, I sometimes wonder how much dubs are taken - for some properties at least - as an opportunity to take a second look at the script and improve things where there's obvious issues. At least, where they have the time to do so. Just as an example, thinking back to subbed versions of some things I've watched where there'd be something translated to the same stock phrase every time (I seem to remember "It can't be helped" being a particular offender in some shows/games), and then the dub taking the time to change the wording up now and then to avoid saying the same phrase over and over.

This is obviously ignoring cases where dubs will localise jokes/insults and things out of necessity because they simply wouldn't otherwise make sense in other languages.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they probably just cheap out on subs like literally every other anime service

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

dogsicle posted:

they probably just cheap out on subs like literally every other anime service

Yah probably. It's funny that the pirate stuff will sometimes have better subs.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hard to generate hype for a show when people aren't talking about it weekly, in a medium where all the other shows are being talked about weekly

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I assumed that the dub was the original script. Isn't the guy who writes the show an American?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

I assumed that the dub was the original script. Isn't the guy who writes the show an American?

Yeah this was my thought.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've always assumed subs were usually more literal translations, with all the awkwardness that entails.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I've always assumed subs were usually more literal translations, with all the awkwardness that entails.

It does happen, but it varies depending on who is translating the subtitles. Some will parse it better for English, others will translate absolutely literally come hell or high water because that's the original dialogue in it's intended immutable form you baka gaijin.

Same thing happens with dub scripts too, to a lesser degree.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finally started cannon busters, enjoying it. I'll be honest though I'm trying to get through it asap because Carole and Tuesday looks loving great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kingtheninja posted:

Finally started cannon busters, enjoying it. I'll be honest though I'm trying to get through it asap because Carole and Tuesday looks loving great.

What's Carole and Tuesd-:stare:

A music-focused series directed by Shinichiro Watanabe?! :stwoon:.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I have a show for you called Kids On The Slope

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, I have no idea why Cannonbusters isn't getting much more conversation. It is the best Netflix animated series since Castlevania.

I watched the first 5 episodes last week, and while it's very pretty and well animated I don't find it especially compelling. I haven't felt any major drive to go back to it since, and while I probably will finish it at some point in the next week or two it seems like a fairly mediocre show so far. It's not particularly bad in any way, but nothing about it feels especially great either. The one thing that sticks out to me is that S.A.M.'s naivety is kind of grating, and she seems needlessly uninformed about humans despite seeming to be several years old (given how close she was to Kelby) and is apparently primarily meant to act as a friend to people. The fact she didn't even realize people need food and doesn't seem to have any concept of death just seems pointless, and small things like that constantly pull me out of a scene. Weirdly, she seems more informed and to have a better grasp of people during the flashback, given that she gave Kelby a pendant with both their faces on it as present, rather than something superficially desirable. It implies a level of emotional understanding she hasn't displayed in the five episodes I watched, and she just seems less naive in her interaction in general, trying to give Kelby advice. It makes me wonder if she wasn't damaged while falling or being washed away; though I imagine the show will expand on that at some point if she was.

The show reminds me a lot of Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and a few other shows and all of them were more memorable than I'm finding Cannon Busters so far; though the second half of the show could change that, obviously. I also saw some advice to take note of the word "Busters" in the name while pointing at Gunbuster and Diebuster, with the implication the show is inspired by or builds towards something similar to those. S.A.M. being a naive but well intentioned robot who wants to help a friend and has a hidden power does remind me of those, as do the fire capes the robots attacking the robot capital city had (which are cool as gently caress), but there's nothing else similar to it in the show so far as I've seen. If it is, the show/season's finale could make or break the show though, since Gunbuster and Diebuster are both quite average until the 4th episode (I think it's that one), with a so/so 5th episode before the whole has a really energetic finale to cap them off in my opinion.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 4, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Her ideal operating conditions were raising and protecting a small child in a secure palace. Roaming a wasteland full of cannibal raiders and cutthroats is a little outside that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That doesn't preclude knowing that humans need to eat and what death is. If anything, raising a child kind of nessecitates knowing it needs to eat. Those are not pieces of niche knowledge only applicable in extreme or unusual circumstances.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm only halfway through but I have the same thoughts about the flashbacks and wondering if she's damaged or has some kind of trauma.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I finished hero mask season 2 last night and I'm not sure I could tell you anything that happened in it

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jose posted:

I finished hero mask season 2 last night and I'm not sure I could tell you anything that happened in it

What happened in season 1? I tried getting through the first couple of episodes but apart from the animation...it didn't catch my interest.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Holy poo poo Carole and Tuesday is a definite GOAT for me :stwoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wasn't expecting the songs to be sung in english too. And sung REALLY well, goddamn :stwoon:.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't expecting the songs to be sung in english too. And sung REALLY well, goddamn :stwoon:.

Yeah. And I loved the diversity in the show too. Gus' ex-wife, Angela's Mom, all of the PoC, etc. I need to get the soundtrack for it asap.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've been catching up on it and just got to the Mermaid Sisters song.

My life will never be the same again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah. And I loved the diversity in the show too. Gus' ex-wife, Angela's Mom, all of the PoC, etc. I need to get the soundtrack for it asap.

Ssomeone put a lot of love and effort to make sure the show's english dub was a gem. I was readily expecting them to just flip to Japanese VA's singing, and goddamn was that a lovely surprise :suspense:.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ssomeone put a lot of love and effort to make sure the show's english dub was a gem. I was readily expecting them to just flip to Japanese VA's singing, and goddamn was that a lovely surprise :suspense:.

Well, the vocals were actual artists. Are you saying they got new artists for the dub? And yes, the mermaid sisters should've won MBS. Ah Well.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
Uh, buddy, you should check the japanese dub real quick

(The songs are only in English, reflecting the character's native speaking language. They bop, yo)

Also, fun fact: The Mermaid Sister's song is the only track done by a japanese artist so far

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well, the vocals were actual artists. Are you saying they got new artists for the dub? And yes, the mermaid sisters should've won MBS. Ah Well.

Just observing that most anime series about music tend to use japanese VA's who can sing and the dub reverts to them for singing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I watched Cannon Busters and it's pretty fun. Like, not a life-altering experience by any means, but the characters are endearing and it hits that Space Dandy spot with occasional detours into Serious Time.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm now conflicted as I'm Subs all the way, with the exceptions being for Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Space Dandy, which obviously directly precede Carole & Tuesday.

Sounds like both versions of Carole & Tuesday are great though?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's rare for me to give any credence to a dub but I'll give it a shot. Something about English voices for anime characters extremely doesn't work for me. Hilda's VA in the new Fire Emblem is pretty good but 70 hours in I'm still not used to it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm watching the English dub for Carole and Tuesday. It's actually pretty fuckin' good. The localization is way more natural than the subs are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cannon Busters was good, kinda OK. I was expecting a little better on the animation, and I was waiting for the episode they concentrated on to make look good but it just, never arrived except for a scant few seconds right at the end, and even then the anatomy and anination flow is a little wonky.The creator worked on Korra so I expected a biiit more fluidity tbh. The final few fights were straight up hard to follow.

The animation isnt terrible, but it could be so much better. and the mystical emperor is just all kinds of off model and badly animated all the time.. The Magic Has Lots Of Eyes aesthetic is cool though.

The dub suffers GREATLY from having to match mouth flaps. Sometimes you get scenes where they flap a million times a second and while thats fine for japanese its just excruciating in English. Also could have done with more casual voice direction, but im guessing the flaps kinda hamper that too.

As for the story its a pretty standard roadtrip event-of-the-week deal, and while I enjoy those theres just too much roadtrip and not enough plot for my taste. It could have used with more scenes to establish Hilda as a person to trust, Philly's switch of objective couldve come more organically and I got a little tired of S.A.M and Cassie getting shocked out of commission constantly.

Its a nice little romp but not one I would come back to, and honestly not one Id recommend unless youre already into dysfunctional party roadtrip stories.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just finished Carole and Tuesday and was charmed by everything about it. Is there a reason why they haven't released all the episodes on Netflix and instead are doing it in parts?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Netflix only releases shows when the cour/season is finished, they don't believe in simulcasts

edit: to be clear, the show is still running in Japan for a few more weeks which is why the second half isn't up

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 10, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I hate how the mobile app prohibits you from seeing the entire ED. Just let me skip to the next episode if I want to, drat it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Honest Thief posted:

I hate how the mobile app prohibits you from seeing the entire ED. Just let me skip to the next episode if I want to, drat it.

Skipping the OP or ED for Carole and Tuesday is a crime :hai:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Carole and Tuesday is incredible, I think this would be talked about way more if it wasn’t in Netflix jail.

Immediately bought the soundtrack for it. The dub is solid as well. I now have an agonizing wait for the second half.