Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Castle of Cagliostro was added today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm loving Devilman Crybaby but the whole "you can tell who is a demon by who is dissatisfied with the world!" scene is so stupid.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm loving Devilman Crybaby but the whole "you can tell who is a demon by who is dissatisfied with the world!" scene is so stupid.

Please consider that [ending spoilers]It's literally Satan saying this. Then think about how protesters and other dissidents are treated irl.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I just binged through Aggrestuko after coming home from work and I loved it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Please consider that [ending spoilers]It's literally Satan saying this. Then think about how protesters and other dissidents are treated irl.

Yeah I typed that out after the end of episode 8 The series is pretty good, but it gets pretty sloppy toward the end.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Anyone watch Aggretsuko? My sister seems to relate too much to that show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect A posted:

It's a good show. I can't relate to it because I only hate my job like 5 days out of the whole year.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
My hatred of my job spills into the days I'm not working :smithicide:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

livingfruitvirus posted:

Castle of Cagliostro was added today.

it owns

netflix has some very short selections but some are good, i personally like rewatching Gurren Lagann as one example, but I haven't gotten around to watching Little Witch Academia yet

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Little Witch Academia is-- along with Yuru Camp and A Place Further than the Universe-- in my highly biased and incredibly arrogant-rear end opinion, the best thing that happened to anime in recent times.

It saved anime, manga, light novels, my heart, my soul, my wallet, waifus, husbandos, mechas, cuties and I will cherish it for a long-rear end time.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
As a 25 year old in a menial office job where the management treats you like an errand dog I can confirm Aggretsuko nails it.

Has anyone watched that Godzilla anime on Netflix? It takes a while to get to the point but the premise and action were enough to keep me entertained. That and the sequel's potential.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

looks like B is getting a second season, no real details beyond that atm

https://twitter.com/NetflixJP_Anime/status/1006673540249088000

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A question I have about Aggretsko is the whole thing about how Retsko's boyfriend comes home to a poo poo ton of plants. Is this suppose to show that there's "more than meets the eye with this guy" or is it suppose to show that he's creepy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's super boring but that doesn't mean he can't be sad and lonely too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

A question I have about Aggretsko is the whole thing about how Retsko's boyfriend comes home to a poo poo ton of plants. Is this suppose to show that there's "more than meets the eye with this guy" or is it suppose to show that he's creepy?
It's less that he's creepy and more than he's just "not there" for other people, like he doesn't know what's up. It's what they call "Can't read the mood" / 「空気を読ない」(Kuuki wo yomenai) in Japanese culture. So, since he can see what's up with the plants, he's able to take care of them accordingly. Or at least that's my theory. My experience with people like that comes from having a couple of friends who are just like that; this side of the pacific I have mainly two buddies who are sorta like that, one it's his guitars and the other one with his gadgets/computers. The latter almost eerily reminds me of Resasuke, but slightly older. It's like the one thing they can see that there might be something wrong and they take utmost care of it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think it's more to show he really doesn't have that much in common with her, hobby wise.

One thing to note about the show (which owns) is that it's actually sympathetic to pretty much everyone in it. Even the openly horrible people are still people.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

buzmeg posted:

You should feel bad for recommending ZnT to anyone even as part of a joke.

Hey, like, tone it down, you dingdong.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought the pacing at the end was extremely weird but apparently it was an intentional decision to show how vicious the news cycle + social media can be and how small things snowball into witch hunts (literal in this case)

and I mean, it's a BIT extreme that all of Humanity destroys itself cuz of facebook but it's an interesting take on an old story

Suspect A posted:

Aggretsuko is great
I don't identify with it personally but I really like the juxtaposition of hello kitty designs + my life is hard and it's nice to see a show that isn't like, haha work is wacky

punk rebel ecks posted:

I dunno what it was about this scene but it was the saddest part of the show

I think Netflix has released the best anime in 2018

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
In This Corner of the World is a really nice movie on American Netflix, I'd give it an 8/10. Note that I haven't watched the majority of the classics, though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

klapman posted:

In This Corner of the World is a really nice movie on American Netflix, I'd give it an 8/10. Note that I haven't watched the majority of the classics, though.

Oooh I didn't know that hit Netflix. Saw it in theaters last year and loved it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

klapman posted:

it was weird because all of the advertising I saw for it billed it as primarily a love story and uh it definitely wasn't that

it's hard to say whether I enjoyed it per se because it does have it's moments but also get incredibly heavy at times. I do agree that its a good movie though

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Man Netflix has burned me on anime three times, removing Spice & Wolf season 1, Darker than Black and Red Data Girl while I was in the middle of them. Sure it was taking me literal years to get through them, but it should be like your steam library, there for you if you started them even if they have to hide it from the new customers due to silly things like licenses.

Seriously though I had like 5 eps to go on DTB but apparently started the series the week they were removing it. Bleh. Looks like it is on prime now, just gotta figure out where I left off and if its worth going back to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the prime version is dub only

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the series at one point legally available through YouTube at no cost? Darker than Black, I mean.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

bagrada posted:

Man Netflix has burned me on anime three times, removing Spice & Wolf season 1, Darker than Black and Red Data Girl while I was in the middle of them. Sure it was taking me literal years to get through them, but it should be like your steam library, there for you if you started them even if they have to hide it from the new customers due to silly things like licenses.

Steam library is more comparable to a DTO service like iTunes or Google Play. Even if they stop selling something you can still recover it because you bought it to own.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the prime version is dub only

Really? Back when Amazon was doing Anime Strike I watched it there subbed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Don't know when it happened but Amazon has the horrendous fist of the north star movie dub. It also added the 94 street fighter 2 movie (unedited) and Saturday morning anime classes L.I.L.Y. Cat. Which is amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That FotNS dub is a work of loving art

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
AGGRETSUKO SEASON 2 CONFIRMED!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The first season felt like a complete arc so I'm interested in seeing where they go with it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

netflix won't be good for anime till they have jojo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nah, they're getting kengan asura

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Mokinokaro posted:

The first season felt like a complete arc so I'm interested in seeing where they go with it.

I wanna see if Haida is a metal-head or a punk. We saw him in his leather jacket and he had a bass and amp at his place. And can't never get enough Fenneko.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Why do we have to wait till September 21 to watch Dragon Pilot on US Netflix? They’ve had a page for it since the show first aired.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If ID-0 is any indication it's sure not to make a better translation!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dogsicle posted:

If they keep doing this poo poo of releasing on japan 6 months before everywhere else I'm going to kill myself

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

Wait, seriously?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/LiveChart_me/status/1015045187997917184?s=19

https://deadline.com/2018/07/netflix-castlevania-premiere-date-aggretsuko-renewed-new-anime-series-1202422097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sakurazuka posted:

That FotNS dub is a work of loving art

It's incredible. I'm watching it now, it kind of captures the glory of 80s 90s dubbing.

There's weird quality edits and closeups during the extreme violence, was that a dub edit thing or is that part of the original?