Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Condiv posted:

netflix won't be good for anime till they have jojo

https://twitter.com/LeSeanThomas/status/1015284861601378304

Are you sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Holy poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

It's incredible. I'm watching it now, it kind of captures the glory of 80s 90s dubbing.

There's weird quality edits and closeups during the extreme violence, was that a dub edit thing or is that part of the original?

Part of the original, sort of, the movie was supposed the first uncensored animated version of the manga but because the TV anime was so popular with younger kids it ended up getting hacked up just before release in typical Japanese 'we'll censor this in the most awkward way possible' style.

If the original theatrical trailer is on YouTube that still has a couple of shots of what the uncensored version would have looked like.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It's so bizarre. The ending battle in Amazon's version I think uses the revised ending of the movie. The quality of film noise dives and the audio changes to Japanese. Of course, there are no subtitles for it, and the existing captions just note it as "foreign language".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol yeah for whatever reason Streamline got an unfinished print of the movie so a few scenes at the end have no English version

E: well there's an eng subbed version but you need to :filez: that as far as I know

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 7, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo

Holy poo poo! :five:

HOLY poo poo! :vince:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kingtheninja posted:

It's incredible. I'm watching it now, it kind of captures the glory of 80s 90s dubbing.

There's weird quality edits and closeups during the extreme violence, was that a dub edit thing or is that part of the original?

If it's edited in the sense that it goes to kinda VHS-looking quality and all the blood is solid white, then that's the original, yeah.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Is this as cool as it looks?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ill just jump into my time machine, go to the first of march in 2019 and report back

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Davincie posted:

ill just jump into my time machine, go to the first of march in 2019 and report back

It's based on a comic book series.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's based on a comic book that never got fully released since Lesean decided he wanted to do it in animation.

He used to post snippets of the comic while he was working on it. It's his long-term project that was originally going to come out in 2004, then 2007, then 2009, then forgotten about and became an animated project instead while he was learning traditional animation while working at a studio in Korea.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Finished Violet Evergarden. Man that was consistently well animated beginning to end. Also insanely schmaltzy and borderline emotionally manipulative. It was a good watch though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dogsicle posted:

looks like B is getting a second season, no real details beyond that atm

https://twitter.com/NetflixJP_Anime/status/1006673540249088000

Anyone excited for this? B was a solidly produced thriller, as you'd expect from I.G., but not a stand out. The non-detective stuff was mostly boring and fairly trite, imhumbleo (and Keith's super genius moments sometimes bordered on parody).

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Why do we have to wait till September 21 to watch Dragon Pilot on US Netflix? They’ve had a page for it since the show first aired.

the same reason they sat on Violet Evergarden for like six months and also why they haven't added anything for season 2 of Seven Deadly Sins, I guess. Netflix thinks people will only binge watch stuff instead of week to week watching.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dragon Pilot looks rad

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rinkles posted:

Anyone excited for this? B was a solidly produced thriller, as you'd expect from I.G., but not a stand out. The non-detective stuff was mostly boring and fairly trite, imhumbleo (and Keith's super genius moments sometimes bordered on parody).

I loved B, so yes. I also thought the non-detective stuff was the weaker part of it, but I’m sure they’ll have more of it in the sequel so I’m super on board.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they introduced the gay skateboard clown with a sword leg in like episode 3 and from there it was just indulging in as many ridiculous aspects of both the gm kid revenge and super detective stories. i think there's still some degree of emotional effectiveness it gets out of the character relationships but i didn't take it too seriously overall. the polish of the project being honestly shocking definitely helps smooth over some of those cracks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

E: ^^the skateboard scene was so ridiculous lol, in retrospect a highlight

I'll watch it for more Keith and Lily, not too hopeful about the super being stuff.

I know he was a stereotypical "chalk scribbles everywhere" genius, but I still found the function to his parametric drawing of his sister being written on the ceiling hilarious

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 15, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I watched all of Aggretsuko with my fiance and we were both The Saddest when it ended so this news makes me unendingly happy

Retsuko is so loving cute that it makes me want to die

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Mary and the witches flower is up on Netflix. It's a really fun movie by (I think) former ghibli staff and I hope to see more from this studio.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I liked Mary, but it came off to me as "Ghibli pretty, but less deep characters and fewer stuff happening." Kind of a discount Spirited Away across the board.

I do appreciate them going right at Ghibli with an extremely similar look, it got points for me for taking a shot at the King even if it missed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Director of Anime at Netflix:

quote:

Our focus is edgy shows: sci-fi, action, fantasy…that relatively travel easily on a global scale. This is opposed to genres like comedy or slice of life, which can be difficult to translate for global customers. So sci-fi, action…zombie…vampire or “underground fight-club situations” *laughs* those are our favorites.

also sounds like simulcasts aren't happening any time soon

http://www.thegeeklygrind.com/a-man-with-a-mission-a-conversation-with-taito-okiura-director-of-anime-at-netflix-japan/

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

http://www.thegeeklygrind.com/a-man-with-a-mission-a-conversation-with-taito-okiura-director-of-anime-at-netflix-japan/
Wow. Shocked to say the least. This is my shocked face. :geno:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

I hope underground Fight-club situations means Kengan Ashura and they make an exception.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Probably means Baki actually

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sword gai is so loving stupid

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I watched a movie about people living in a postapocalyptic robot world where they are hunted down by some sort of AI. There were cool cyborg battles but I forget what it was called? I liked it, recommend me more please

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

does neo-yokio count as anime? asking for a friend

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

does neo-yokio count as anime? asking for a friend
Sleazy Anituber Gigguk talked about it, so it probably does.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I watched a movie about people living in a postapocalyptic robot world where they are hunted down by some sort of AI. There were cool cyborg battles but I forget what it was called? I liked it, recommend me more please

BLAME, most likely. It's based on a long manga that you should really, really check out.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

BLAME, most likely. It's based on a long manga that you should really, really check out.

I'm not into comic books/manga but I think I will because I loved the concept/setting

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
flavors of youth was pretty meh. but still pretty

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Mill Village posted:

Why do we have to wait till September 21 to watch Dragon Pilot on US Netflix? They’ve had a page for it since the show first aired.

Netflix Japan has been simul-streaming it with the TV broadcast, so the page works for the Japanese subscribers.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Made by Americans. Doesn't count!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

livingfruitvirus posted:

Made by Americans. Doesn't count!

That and Neo Yokio are miles ahead of the Crunchyroll funded show. I'm convinced Netflix is good now even though they should do simulstreams.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Plutonis posted:

That and Neo Yokio are miles ahead of the Crunchyroll funded show. I'm convinced Netflix is good now even though they should do simulstreams.

are you talking about the anime police one, which is live action, or the animated one, which comes out in 2019? Or another one?

For the curious,, the live action one is here: https://youtu.be/urk_kp76RoI

The upcoming animated one was announced recently:

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/1032251351844052993

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Still no Baki yet.

I want to see Baki.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Something I just noticed on prime :

They have the American street fighter cartoon up, but (for me anyway) the thumbnail image for the show is from street fighter 2V.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So uhhhh is Dragon Pilot a not-so-subtle vore anime

Like its cute and all alot of the time but there definitely are parts that make me :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So uhhhh is Dragon Pilot a not-so-subtle vore anime

Like its cute and all alot of the time but there definitely are parts that make me :stare:

I mean, it's probably someone's fetish, but the show is good irregardless.