Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Episode 1: Cogito Ergo Sum

Summary: A local priest’s recent death under mysterious circumstances brings a disparate group of Investigators to a small town with a number of mysteries underneath.



Scene 1, The Funeral Location: Saint Martin's Catholic Church and Parochial School, Day

Funerals are always strange. Like, a reminder of an absence.

Most of you knew Father Pryor, at least in passing. None of you could really say you were precisely friends with the man, but you, and really, everyone here today, felt like you did. But, obviously, things change. The church hadn't even been used, really, for the time between Father Pryor's death and now. An absence. The priest who was officiating the proceedings wasn't Father Pryor. He seemed nice, but he wasn't the man you all knew, or...felt like you knew. He probably wouldn't ever be. Just some other priest flown in from elsewhere to say some words about someone he didn't know, either.

But funerals can also bring people into each other's paths.

You all knew each other already, of course. Probably better than you did Father Pryor, in fact, and certainly better than the visiting priest. But as you all look around the church you catch each other's eyes, even if just for a moment or two. Knowing what you knew about each others'...hobbies, you suspect you're all there for similar reasons, if not the same reason.

And that was figuring out just what the hell happened, to begin with. You've all got pieces of some sort of puzzle, but who knew if it was all pieces to the same puzzle? These things rarely make perfect sense. But perhaps some of you have already started working together? Who came here together today? And who came separately?

There isn't much to do at a funeral, not while the service is, well, in service. But aside from each other, there's something, or someone else, at the service, that has caught your eye. Who, or what, is it? And why is it interesting to you?

Scene 2, The Reception Location: Saint Martin's Catholic Church and Parochial School, Day

A small advantage to the church being a school - ready made reception space!

The reception was muted, more or less muted, anyway. But thankfully, nothing untoward had really happened DURING the service, at least. Still, the Father's funeral being closed casket was foreboding to some, especially to all of you, knowing what REALLY happened to his body. Still, it's a muted, if not unpleasant affair, the reception. Warm, soft lights. The woman who plays the organ is instead softly playing reassuring hymnals on a (thankfully) recently re-tuned piano. There's a couple other people there you may recognize. The Halloways; Peter, Sandra, and their two children - frequently considered Kochsville's "first family" - Peter Halloway is the mayor, which would have made Sandra a luminary by default if she wasn't also (perhaps over-aggressively) a busy body, helicopter soccer mother, and gossip. The picture perfect middle American family, here, in Kochsville.

There's also Adam Sepinwall, who recently gained a fair amount of infamy being the coroner who (supposedly) performed the Father's autopsy. He's mostly hanging around the tastefully appointed table containing snacks - including Sandra Halloway's famous funeral potatoes (though that being famous always seemed a little morbid, didn't it?) - and he seems nervous. Twitchy. Maybe because of what he's seen. Maybe because of something else.

Then there's the blonde woman - who is mostly keeping to herself or admiring the fixtures along the wall. She is remarkably attractive, with deep gray-blue eyes, and though she too is dressed in muted funerary blacks (like everyone else), it is a perfectly tailored and fitted dress that can't really help but show off both that she is clearly wealthy and clearly in excellent shape. None of you know her, and it didn't seem like anyone else really did, either.

What are each of you doing at the Reception? And what, do you think, is the next step in your investigations?

Hazel, you usually don't get visions, so anything would be disturbing. But this morning, before the funeral, was especially so. What was it, and what about the funeral or reception is reminding you of it?
Jack, seeing Elaine's parents today is difficult. But what did they say to you that was unexpected? Was it unnerving, or comforting?
Jen, it seems unusual to be asked for a status report so quickly, but that's precisely what's happened before the funeral today. What have you told them about your progress, or lack thereof?
Rowena, I know crosses aren't really a thing, but being in churches still makes you uncomfortable, doesn't it? Why? And what have you been doing to distract yourself?
Deuces, there has to be some guilt here, doesn't there? I mean, you were involved! Well, indirectly, anyway. Have you been back here since that fateful night, before today, I mean? Why or why not?
Percy, are modern funeral practices strange to you, or familiar? What have you needed to suppress the urge to do here, to keep decorum? How are you honoring Father Pryor according to your own traditions?

First post! Get to, any questions ask me in discord or whatever!

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at May 4, 2018 around 06:26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


POST RESERVED FOR MC INFO

[Character Links]

Hazel Hall, Spell Slinger
Jack Wolfe, Chosen
Jen Knight, Professional
Rowena Carter, Monstrous
Jace "Deuces Sweeny, Crooked
Perseus "Percy" Eurymedon, Exile

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at May 5, 2018 around 04:57

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009



Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp-1 | Tough-1 | Weird+3 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception



Oh god oh god oh god oh god he's here oh god oh god! I tug nervously at my wrinkled black sweater, cursing under my breath the fact that I decided to finish another episode of Nailed It! instead of picking out some better clothing. Of course, I thought this was just going to be a typical odd job - the flyer said they just needed some help ushering the funeral and serving at the reception. Gotta pay that Netflix subscription somehow, right? Plus, there's this horrible churning in my stomach whenever I look at one of those crosses - the big one at the front is the worst. I guess this is why my mom raised me agnostic - would've been hard to explain as a kid why Christian icons make me queasy. Must be something to do with my... er, genetics? I sigh, taking a few deep breaths to silence the quell - no going back now.

"H-hi, Jack! I, uh..." I stutter out, aware that my cheeks are probably redder than usual. Ever since meeting the college boy at a meeting a few weeks ago with Deuces... His blazing blue eyes, broad shoulders, powerful arms, hair I can just imagine running my fingers through... I blink, realizing I should probably finish my sentence. "... uh, I can help you find a seat." I mumble out the rest, then turn and walk slowly down the aisle toward a few open spaces, cheeks continuing to feel hot as hell. I try not to meet his eyes as he passes me and sits down, and I scurry back to my spot as fast as I can, trying to get my breathing under control.

Unfortunately, my breath catches again as I see a few of the other people that have shown up for this funeral. Deuces... Percy... ugh Jen... ooh! "Ha- Hazel!" I whisper loudly to my old friend, waving as subtly as I can. I guess they all had the same thought I did - Father Pryor's death has something sinister about it. It'll be good to team up with Hazel again. Oh! Does this mean Jack is on the case too? I spend the rest of the funeral in my own head, dreaming up fictional rescue and rescuer situations, trying to ignore how weird the new priest is. He keeps sweating... is he sick? Something seems off about him. Whatever - back to Jack...

--

The reception is decidedly less dreamy - I'm carrying around trays of sandwich rolls and now I'm going to smell like turkey for the rest of the day. Luckily, it gets me close to a lot of different conversations, eavesdropping on mostly mundane things but a few good ones. Sandra Halloway babbling at the speed of light, Deuces telling Percy another drinking story (that guy is going to be a baaaad influence on Percy), and Jack... ok, it doesn't matter what he is talking about I just keep wanting to look at him. Still, duty calls. The blonde lady over by the wall doesn't have anything in her hand so I wander over with my tray of pinwheels.

"Hi, can I get you anything, ma'am?" I ask her earnestly.

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!


Jen Knight
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+1 | Weird+0 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Outside The Funeral Home, In Car

"Yes, next time I'll plan for the weird melting corpse to pop up in a bigger city. Are you kidding me? I have to take this slow, or else all of the locals will keep asking questions, and it'll all go to hell." Unbelievable, I've barely had the chance to get questions done before hearing about it. "This place isn't just some ordinary sleepy, quiet town. I can't tell if they know too much or have something that makes them just wary of outsiders, but unless you want to give me an entire task force with FBI cars and badges, this is going to take some time, boss."

I sigh as the voice on the other side of my cell phone starts to get raised. "Alright, sir. I'll get you a report in a few days, just don't be surprised if it says exactly what I just told you. Furth.." The call very obviously cuts out, which makes me mutter as I put the phone back into my jacket pocket. Whatever the reason, this place has something significant going on. Or at least, the Initiative thinks it does, otherwise I wouldn't be hearing about it. Which means this job's not going to be easy. Luckily for me, my normal dress sense still works at a funeral, so I'll be able to avoid wasting any more time.

I notice Rowena being one of the ushers and do my best to politely avoid her, given the circumstances. Don't want to bring attention to myself, finding a spot near the back but not standing. There's a handful of people I know professionally out here, which means this isn't quite as much of the hush-hush as I'd imagine. Rowena is local, and so is Deuces. Didn't expect Percy to make an appearance, but at least he's wearing a shirt. Jack's here too. I look at Rowena doing something with her hand, thinking how weird it was until I see Hazel at the other end. Okay, so that makes a half-dozen.

I've been to a number of funeral over the last few years, and usually you can tell that there's something not normal when you've got more than a few people from out of town. Fantastic. I notice that there's a lot fewer members of the cloth than I'd imagine for something like this. A middle-aged nun is standing near the front, and either she has some literal ice in her veins or she's here for some other purpose. Maybe another hunter? Fake nun? Just someone who's doing something for the church?

----

Alright, right to business. I'd love to chat with the people I do know about how things are going, but since the coroner is here, I need to have a chat with them. I have numbers for Deuces and Hazel, I can catch up later. But the coroner has some information I can’t get anywhere else. Plus, it gives me a reason to avoid pretty much everyone else. Just get my badge ready if needed, stand right next to him, and make an introduction.

“Dr. Sepinwall, correct?”

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Deuces Sweeny
Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp+1 | Tough-1 | Weird+1 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Reception

I fukkin' hate funerals. Third one in two years. All connected to that stupid stupid job. Wait, four. Should've gone down to Tiny Mike's in Orlando, but just didn't make it. Anyway, got cleaned up. Clean shirt, new shoes, jeans with only a few holes. Even found an old silver flask and got some Crown to fill it.

I've stopped the church a few times when I've had a few extra bucks to toss in the collection, lit some candles. Confessed some sins once. I'm not sure I believe in the whole "God" thing, but, hell, I've had a vampire chick in my bathtub, maybe I should start? She's here working in the church, so maybe not. Gotta respect the hustle. Unless she's using her position to snoop. Definitely gotta respect that hustle. Plus, super easy to find Jack in the room when she's around, just see where she's hovering with that tray, and he'll be just within earshot of her.

Oh, hey, Hazel is here. Not that we're close, but I say hi, make some small talk. Ask how her mom is doing. At least Percy seems to be behaving himself, once we figured out that there weren't gonna be any animal sacrifices. And there's a pretty good spread here. Bomb rear end funeral potatoes.

Mostly I wander, saying hi here and there hoping to pick up some good gossip, but there's not a lot. There's one fine lady hanging off by herself, but I doubt she'll talk to someone like me without an introduction. On my 3rd trip to the back for snacks, I notice Jen corner some dude. Standing close enough to hear her call him Dr. Steppenwolf or something. Dude is sweating bullets, and I know just what will help.

-----------

I interject myself into Jen's barely formed conversation, with "Jen! How's tricks?", and before she can answer "Doc! She giving you trouble? Little nip will soften her up." and offer both of you my flask of Crown.

Whatever Jen is attempting, I'm helping!

@Deuces (Relentless): 2d6 #Help Out Jen = (2+5) = 7

Kind of!

On a 7-9 your help grants them +1 to their roll, but you also expose yourself to trouble or danger.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Jack Wolfe
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+1 | Weird-1 | Exp: ✘▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Honestly, the whole funeral passes by in a blur. I got the feeling that this was all tied in, especially with some of the weirder poo poo that's been going down since Elaine... since the nightmares starter, but last night was especially rough. I didn't see much that made sense, not that it ever does, but it all felt sinister. I have a really bad feeling about all this. I half-heartedly remember to at least acknowledge everyone I know, going through the motions as much as I can when I'm working on... Sleep. Some amount, anyways. Not near enough. So when Rowena — she's really nice — says hi, I do manage to say hi back. I think. I might've just smiled at her and patted her on the shoulder.

"But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men."

That keeps ringing in my head as I finally drag myself out of the pew I was in and head with the crowd to the reception. It's kind of a weird verse for a funeral, right? I'm sure the priest must have circled around to it like three... five times? Way too many to be a casual beat in the sermon, but it didn't seem like anyone else really caught it. Maybe it's my own weirdness peeking through. I make eye contact with Elaine's folks as the crowd moves and... and my stomach just drops. I mean, we're all hurting. Them more than me, right? But when we end up in the same place, it just brings it all crashing back together. Like it's the night we...

I have to talk to them, I know, but this reception business is looking worse and worse by the minute.

---

Yeah, this reception is not my favorite thing in the world. Honestly, if it weren't for the nightmares, I'm not even sure I'd have gotten out of bed today. Carol and Steve are really nice people, they really are, but it's like a cheese grater on the emotional wounds that haven't even scabbed over yet. We exchange the usual pleasantries, awkwardly veer away from talking about her at the last minute, and as the conversation slowly dies... they hand me something. Something that they'd found in Elaine's room, tucked away in a pile of stuff she'd borrowed from me. Some books, a few movies, that sort of thing.

It looks kind of like a business card. The front has this three-pronged spiral design — something inside me wants to call it a Triskelion — and it looks blank on the back. Huh. Maybe Elaine was into some weird poo poo. Actually, you know what, this looks like something Hazel might be able to clue me in on. I'll have to track her down sooner or later. I flip the card back over and... I'm not sure if I'm hallucinating or not, but the spiral seems to have flipped directions.

quote:

SidekickBOT - 05/03/2018
@Tricky: 2d6-1 Is Jack Destiny's Plaything this session? = (3+3)-1 = 5

Marking XP.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.


Hazel Hall
Charm-1 | Cool+1 | Sharp+1 | Tough=0 | Weird+2 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

I hate visions. Scrying is one thing, even calling up bits of the past isn't too bad, especially with a nice ritual and a crystal ball or a mirror or what have you, but anything looking for the future takes way too much work for way too little gain if you try em for yourself. They're basically worthless until they're too late to change anything either, you just get flashes and sensations and, ugh, naturally that's what the flow of magic decided to dump into my brain this morning while I was taking a shower. So now along with the funeral and the mystery around Father Pryor's death to deal with, I've got the pieces of the vision floating around in my head waiting to connect to life so I can put any real meaning together.

Unfortunately, the first piece doesn't take long at all the fit in. A burning building, awash in flames. I didn't recognize it from the flashes I had, but the moment I stepped inside the church, I knew where it was. Luckily, I was reaching for the holy water font as I got inside, so freezing to stare wasn't too noticeable. In the vision, the sky outside was dark, so I knew it wasn't going to happen during the funeral, but it made the entire process even more uncomfortable than it already was, every time I'd look over at part of the building I'd see the flickers of fire licking up the walls. I probably looked a bit twitchy to whoever ended up sitting next to me and the different people I knew. Well, those that noticed. Rowena definitely hadn't noticed anything - but I wouldn't expect her too stuck inside a church - when I returned her whisper with a smile and a wave and Jack was a bit too caught up. I positioned myself on the other side of the church from Jen, since I'd rather her not see me so jumpy, but Percy and Deuces probably did, though the latter was avoiding mentioning it when we talked. Not the right time for it.

I'm going to have to talk to Percy after the reception though, him being there was the one piece I didn't need to wait on piecing together from this morning. These spur of the moment visions always seem to tie into him some way or another, I couldn't say why. Heading in his direction across the hall to say, I swing by the table to pick up one of Sanda's famous potatoes, and as I take a bite, another piece falls into place. The lingering taste of funeral potatoes - they are quite good - whatever is going to happen at the church, it'll be today, or else after another funeral soon. Washing down the vision with a glass of punch, my eyes settle on the isolated woman standing alone at the walls, and something keeps them there. She's a stranger here too, but not one whose connection I can fit in my web of knowledge, and that needs to be fixed and calls for some investigation. Moving in her direction, I see Rowena working off the same idea, and smile. She's on top of things as always. Giving the blonde woman a chance to respond to Rowena's professional inquiry, I reach out to take one of her pinwheels and take a bite, giving both of them a nodded greeting.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see me at all...


Percy

Deuces assures me that this is the proper garb: the finest suit the Salvation Army can provide. It is too tight around my shoulders and chest, and it is decidedly unflattering, covering my entire body from neck to wrists. All of the women get to show off their bodies, why not the men?

And if this is what one calls a funeral, its a wonder anyone will know that the Father has died. No sacrifices, no singing, no send off. Just a closed wooden box and a man much like the father speaking generic platitudes while everyone sits in silence. Shameful. The man deserves better. At least he will go into the ground and cross the river with his proper fare.

But, I remind myself, that this is not a funeral -- it is a hunt. The killer may have come to gloat, or to relish in the grief of the Father's loved ones. I am not here to celebrate the passing of a warrior, I am engaged in the preliminaries of a battle of own.

At the reception, none strike me as capable of such power. None of these men possess the strength to reduce a man to nothingness with the force of their blows. But a powerful sorceress, perhaps? There is only one woman in the crowd who fits that particular bill -- the wife of the king. Already she has the crowd eating out of her hands, literally, as she regales them with tales of how she makes the local children cheer, and who knows what spells might be woven into the mashed root vegetables she has decided to serve, and of which Deuces and Hazel have already begun to partake? Of course a woman like her would serve the chthonic fruits of Hades.

Approaching her is all too each. She makes herself approachable. "Did you know Father Pryor well, ma'am?" I ask, with studied friendliness.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Rowena & Hazel

The woman nods, a bit apprehensive to be suddenly the focus of anyone’s attention.

She is truly stunningly beautiful, but in a way that’s almost...frightening? However your high school experience had been, as of right now you are approaching the “It Girl”, writ large. And no, you can’t sit with her.

“I’m...fine.” She says, clearly looking past you, Rowena - and right at Jack!? “If you’ll excuse me…” She brushes past the both of you and starts striding towards him with purpose.

Jen & Deuces

Dr. Sepinwall almost drops his rather heaping helping of hordevours as Jen says something to him, clearly not noticing it right away. However, you both notice the uncomfortable sheen of sweat coming off his forehead. Maybe those hordevours aren’t in the best shape now, anyway, especially since he’s been lingering around the refreshment table like that.

“Y-yes!?” He says, clearly a bit agitated. Neither of you are sure which of your question he’s responding to. Maybe both? Or neither. He eyes the flask for a moment, and then like a dart reaches out and grasps it with his grimy hands and takes a big gulp.

Maybe you don’t want that back? Or maybe he’s just nervous at funerals...maybe?

Percy

Sandra eyes you for a moment - clearly trying to size up the (relatively) recent transplant, though her grief and discomfort is obvious.
“Y...yes. It was quite unfortunate. We all thought he was the picture of health until he collapsed. The poor dear - he spent so long looking after all of us, who knew he was sick?” For what it’s worth, her sorrow seems geniune.

She also seems a bit, erh, ill. Maybe you didn’t notice it at first but she seems to be sweating. A lot. And it wasn’t that warm in here, and Sandra Halloway definitely didn’t seem the sort to have anxiety in social situations.

Jack

As you’re flipping the card over in your hands, a woman approaches you. It’s that stunningly beautiful woman who was leaning across the wall, earlier. She’s alternating her imperious blue eyes between you and the card in your hands.

“If you want answers to that...find me later.” She says with an icy smile and then brushes past you as well.

She stops, after a step, and turns on her heel. “Don’t eat the potatoes. Don’t eat anything here.” She warns, and then starts for the door again.

Sorry for the delay! Life is a pain in the butt. I'll let you guys react to stuff before springing the first big plot thing, unless people wanna move forward faster, lemme know!

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!


Jen Knight
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+1 | Weird+0 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

My initial reaction is wanting to kick Deuces in the shins, but that wouldn't be what someone who came here looking into an unusual autopsy would do. Especially not one from the very humorless state branch of the CDC.

"My name is Jennifer Walker, CDC. I know this seems rude to bring up at the funeral, but I was hoping to grab a copy of your autopsy, perhaps your photos as well? Unfortunately, if our findings are correct, this may be a spreading problem. I've interviewed a few people in town, like Mr. Sweeny here, who said the good father was in pretty good health before all of this."

I lean in a bit closer, pulling the flask away from the doctor. "I'd hate to think you wouldn't help the CDC out, Dr. Sepinwall. I'd have to put something like that in my findings."

I try to keep focus on my little problem at hand. Unless he's combusting, I don't care how much he sweats. Even if my hand on the flask feels extremely disgusting right now.

quote:

Jen (TLB) - Today at 5:03 PM
/r 2d6 #Persuade Dr. Sweatsalot
SidekickBOT - Today at 5:03 PM
@Jen (TLB): 2d6 Persuade Dr. Sweatsalot = (5+1) = 6
Unfortunately, already including the +1 from Deuces, which means I get XP at least?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Jen

Dr. Sepinwall eyes you warily as you snatch the flask out of his slimy fingers. "Why would the CDC be here, of all places? What problem - are you trying to say that heart attacks are contagious, now? Well that's news to me." Obviously, the man was lying through his nasty teeth, but that WAS the official byline - obviously the priest melting on the slab hadn't hit any of the papers and the general populace was not informed, as of yet.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Deuces Sweeny
Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp+1 | Tough-1 | Weird+1 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Deuces snatches his flask back from Jen and takes another swig.

"Listen here, fuckwaffle, half the people in this room know the body done got jello'd. The lady asked you for a favor. Clearly you wouldn't refuse a request from the CDwhatever, right? RIGHT?"

2d6+2 Persuade Dr. Steppenwolf for Jen = (5+1)+2 = 8

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009



Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp-1 | Tough-1 | Weird+3 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

The lady gives my pinwheels a hard pass and practically shoves me out of the way as she jets off somewhere. I sigh and look at Hazel who thankfully is munching on a... turkey and guac? Or is that chicken and pesto? Wait, aren't these supposed to be vegetarian? I spend a half-second considering how much of a poo poo to give about cylindrically-sliced lunch wraps, but then determine a half-second was appropriate and oh hell no.

Blondy McBlondbutt just walked straight up to Jack! And she's using her feminine whiles on him! Or... maybe something else, it's actually impossible to tell what she's saying - plus now she's gesturing to some potatoes over by the salad bar. Another sigh. I sidestep close enough to Hazel while she munches to bump her with my shoulder, "Say, you don't know any spells on how to turn somebody into a frog or a slug or something, do you?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.


Hazel Hall
Charm-1 | Cool+1 | Sharp+1 | Tough=0 | Weird+2 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Turning slightly, I watch the woman beeline away from us like we had the plague. "Well... that was rude." Though it comes out a bit muffled as I've still got some crumbs of pinwheel left in my mouth. Watching her and chewing thoughtfully, I don't have much of a clue what shes up to as she says something to Jack and then just loving leaves. So much for figuring out who she is. I wonder what she said to him? I wonder who she is. Letting out a small sigh, I glance over at Rowena again. "hm? Oh, yeah, it's not too complicated, classic revenge spell. You'd need some of the persons hair though - or skin, fingernails, that sort of thing. And a toad." A second later, it hits me what she's after. "But it's not the kind of thing you want to mess around with, easy to attract attention or backfire. Besides, I don't think she's worth the effort." Advising against it, its not like I like her, she has a bad attitude. Acting like she's better than us just because she's good looking. "...probably." Eyeing Jack again, I put my hand on Rowena's slim shoulders and give her a slight push forward in his direction. "Go and find out what she said to him, see if he has a name for her." I wink.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Jack Wolfe
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+2 | Weird-1 | Exp: ✘✘▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

I'm so lost in thought that when Imperious Blues storms over and hints that she's in the loop and that I should find her later, I'm just processing the first bits of that — what was Elaine tangled up in? — when she's beginning to make her escape. I say, "Hey, what do you mean?" Not particularly expecting an answer, I scan the room... and my heart sinks. I'm not like an expert on weirdo magical poisons or diseases or whatever the hell is going on, but even I can see that half the room's way too sweaty. Like, sure, it's a bit stuffy, but some of them have more sheen than a new car.

I've got a really bad feeling about this.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:29 PM
@Tricky: 2d6+1 Jack Reads A Bad Situation = (3+2)+1 = 6

Welp, RIP everyone. It's been great.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009



Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp-1 | Tough-1 | Weird+3 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

I gulp as Hazel pushes me forward and winks uuuuuugh am I really that obvi? I grit my teeth, reset my grip on the pinwheel tray, and lurch forward - watching Jack as the woman dashes off towards the door. Whatever she said to him has him spooked - he's looking around the room now all worried like and furrowing his brow. Is it possible to be even cuter with a furrowed brow? For a moment I imagine waltzing up and kissing that furrowed brow but... not the time...

Clutching my tray like a safety line, I amble up to Jack and try to get his attention. "S-so that, uh, woman... do you know her? She looked really... I mean, like... wow! right?" oh my god this is the worst conversation I've ever been in - quick! Think of something - anything - to deflect to! "Uh... s-so Hazel wanted to know, do you know her name? Uh she thinks, like that it might be related to the uh thing that happened..." just try to act cool like you know what's going on "With, with the Father, right?"

I'm pretty sure everyone in the venue is staring at me now, but for some reason my waitress instincts choose now to kick in - "Oh, and uh, do you want a pinwheel?" I offer out the tray invitingly.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see me at all...


Percy

"Yes, who indeed. He was a wonderful man, someone who helped me more than I ever could express."

The witch is sweating now, she can tell that I am on to her. Perhaps the Father was not her target, and now, seeing those who her actions have harmed, she is consumed by her guilt. Even the proudest of people could be brought low when they know the furies are on their backs.

"Tell me," I say, putting a comforting arm around her shoulder, supporting her sagging weight, and leading the ill witch away from the crowd towards the hall. "Who made those lovely potatoes?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Jack

Clearly, the woman’s overreacting. The lights are just hot, in fact you’re feeling a little warm yourself. Or maybe that’s just that Rowena’s in front of you. Or maybe it was that woman after all, she was pretty, to say the least.

Jen and Deuces

Dr. Sepinwall still seems rather wary - being called a fuckwaffle probably didn’t help matters, either. But he spares you both an extra second, anyway. “F-fine. Yes, obviously you’re aware there was some...oddities with the Father’s autopsy. But, you have to promise me that you’ll protect me, if I tell you! I won’t be blamed for the things that happened! I didn’t do anything!”

Sepinwall will talk, but only if you can actually provide him assurances that he won’t be implicated in this mess.

Percy

Sandra brightens - a little bit, given her clear illness, now, and nods. “Oh, that was me, of course. I’m something of a wizz in the kitchen and well, Father Pryor always said he loved my potatoes - I thought it only...only fitting.” She sniffs, clearly thinking on it more had affected her and she dabs her eyes with a handkerchief. “If you’ll excuse me…” She sighs and makes to extricate herself from the conversation.

No prompts needed for Hazel or Rowena at the moment. Sorry for the delay again.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Jack Wolfe
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+2 | Weird-1 | Exp: ✘✘▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Man, no joke. Maybe it is the lights, I'm dying in here. Still... well, no use turning down free advice. Never really got people who like to chow down at a funeral anyway. Seems a little ghoulish, you know?

I look at Rowena — and, let me tell you, I've got all sorts of guilt about the way I feel when I'm around her — and say, "Naw, I think I'm good. Late lunch and all." I offer a bit of a lame smile at that. Not going to harsh on Rowena for the offer, god knows she's just catching a shift to get a little cash. I look back towards where Imperious Blues vanished, then say, "I don't think it's related. Probably. She wanted to tell me something about this card Elaine left me later... and said something about not eating anything. I'm figuring I'll play ball, just in case she's not just being all mysterious for the sake of it. Speaking of, you eat anything here?"

Oh, gently caress me, did I just stick my foot in my mouth? I mean, she's a... y'know, and I don't know if she even eats regular food any more and... god drat it. I'm a wreck. poo poo poo poo poo poo, uh, guess I just need to look like I'm not attacking her diet.

I add, maybe a little too quickly, "So how about you two? Anything seem off around here?"

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!


Jen Knight
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+1 | Weird+0 | Exp: ✘▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

"The CDC, Mr. Sweeny. I do understand your need for discretion, and if you didn't create the.. Jello, so to speak, then I don't see the problem with keeping this anonymous. I just want to make sure that whatever happened is limited to just the one incident." I sound like someone with a stick up my rear end, but if you've ever met anyone from the CDC, they're pretty much all like this. Very pleasant people, and if Deuces could keep his foot out of his mouth, I might be able to get what we need about the corpse without having to dig around for security footage.

"If you're not feeling alright, I can accept a written statement if you can get it to me ASAP. I know this is an unfortunate location for discussions like this."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009



Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp-1 | Tough-1 | Weird+3 | Exp: ✘▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

I gulp as he brings up Elaine... poo poo, I'm like the harbinger of horrible news. He asks me something but I wasn't paying attention, "Yeah, I think so. I, uh... maybe!" Nod. Smile. Breath. Breath again.

Thankfully, he deflects to Hazel, asking us if something weird is going on. Now that he mentions it... I mean, this does have some element of weirdness to it. Six hunters... random strangers... important town figures. If anything bad was going to happen, it'd be now. Of course, this isn't Riverdale... I sigh, furrow my brow, and scan the room looking for weird stuff.

quote:

[10:15 PM] BOTSidekick: @Frgrbrgr: 2d6-1 Investigate by looking around! = (2+1)-1 = 2
Bad stuff!
Experience!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Jack Wolfe
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+2 | Weird-1 | Exp: ✘✘▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Oh, good, she's smiling. I probably didn't mortally offend her by... mentioning her mortality... challenged... ness. Or something like that. Point being, I didn't manage to drop an offensive bloodsucker thing. Probably. Women are mysterious. As she gets that, like, smoky serious look on her face and starts looking at things, I grab a pinwheel after all and a tiny plate with a fork. I mean, okay, yes... I'm still not going to eat it. But, y'know, if there is something weird in the food, someone should probably figure that out. And that someone is me, today.

I expertly dismember the pinwheel and take a careful look at the various bits and fillings inside. Oh, gross, it has that ranch cream cheese. That never sits right... but somehow I doubt that's what Imperious Blues was trying to tell me about the food. Does it smell weird? Does it look weird? Definitely not going to taste it, especially not with that cream cheese situation...

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 10:22 PM
@Tricky: 2d6+1 Jack is also going to Investigate the reception = (5+1)+1 = 7

What is being concealed here?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Deuces Sweeny
Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp+1 | Tough-1 | Weird+1 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Deuces claps Dr. Sepinwall on the back. "That's the spirit! Glad we had this little meeting of the minds, Doctor S!"

"Hey, Jen, ima go get some more grub, you want anything? Rowena has some little sandwichy things that looked real good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!


Jen Knight
Charm-1 | Cool+2 | Sharp+1 | Tough+1 | Weird+0 | Exp: ✘▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

"I'm fine, Mr. Sweeny." Thank god that Deuces seems to act this way towards everyone. Otherwise this would be getting very awkward, very quickly. I'll let him go get some more food, hoping that one of the others doesn't start getting the doctor asking other questions before he answers the only bit of information I want from him.

"I'm not making you nervous, am I, Doctor? People seem to always get nervous around me."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply