Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp-1 | Tough-1 | Weird+3 | Exp: ▢▢▢▢▢
Harm: ▢▢▢|▢▢▢▢ | Luck: ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ | Location: Funeral Reception

Oh god oh god oh god oh god he's here oh god oh god! I tug nervously at my wrinkled black sweater, cursing under my breath the fact that I decided to finish another episode of Nailed It! instead of picking out some better clothing. Of course, I thought this was just going to be a typical odd job - the flyer said they just needed some help ushering the funeral and serving at the reception. Gotta pay that Netflix subscription somehow, right? Plus, there's this horrible churning in my stomach whenever I look at one of those crosses - the big one at the front is the worst. I guess this is why my mom raised me agnostic - would've been hard to explain as a kid why Christian icons make me queasy. Must be something to do with my... er, genetics? I sigh, taking a few deep breaths to silence the quell - no going back now.

"H-hi, Jack! I, uh..." I stutter out, aware that my cheeks are probably redder than usual. Ever since meeting the college boy at a meeting a few weeks ago with Deuces... His blazing blue eyes, broad shoulders, powerful arms, hair I can just imagine running my fingers through... I blink, realizing I should probably finish my sentence. "... uh, I can help you find a seat." I mumble out the rest, then turn and walk slowly down the aisle toward a few open spaces, cheeks continuing to feel hot as hell. I try not to meet his eyes as he passes me and sits down, and I scurry back to my spot as fast as I can, trying to get my breathing under control.

Unfortunately, my breath catches again as I see a few of the other people that have shown up for this funeral. Deuces... Percy... ugh Jen... ooh! "Ha- Hazel!" I whisper loudly to my old friend, waving as subtly as I can. I guess they all had the same thought I did - Father Pryor's death has something sinister about it. It'll be good to team up with Hazel again. Oh! Does this mean Jack is on the case too? I spend the rest of the funeral in my own head, dreaming up fictional rescue and rescuer situations, trying to ignore how weird the new priest is. He keeps sweating... is he sick? Something seems off about him. Whatever - back to Jack...

--

The reception is decidedly less dreamy - I'm carrying around trays of sandwich rolls and now I'm going to smell like turkey for the rest of the day. Luckily, it gets me close to a lot of different conversations, eavesdropping on mostly mundane things but a few good ones. Sandra Halloway babbling at the speed of light, Deuces telling Percy another drinking story (that guy is going to be a baaaad influence on Percy), and Jack... ok, it doesn't matter what he is talking about I just keep wanting to look at him. Still, duty calls. The blonde lady over by the wall doesn't have anything in her hand so I wander over with my tray of pinwheels.

"Hi, can I get you anything, ma'am?" I ask her earnestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

The lady gives my pinwheels a hard pass and practically shoves me out of the way as she jets off somewhere. I sigh and look at Hazel who thankfully is munching on a... turkey and guac? Or is that chicken and pesto? Wait, aren't these supposed to be vegetarian? I spend a half-second considering how much of a poo poo to give about cylindrically-sliced lunch wraps, but then determine a half-second was appropriate and oh hell no.

Blondy McBlondbutt just walked straight up to Jack! And she's using her feminine whiles on him! Or... maybe something else, it's actually impossible to tell what she's saying - plus now she's gesturing to some potatoes over by the salad bar. Another sigh. I sidestep close enough to Hazel while she munches to bump her with my shoulder, "Say, you don't know any spells on how to turn somebody into a frog or a slug or something, do you?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I gulp as Hazel pushes me forward and winks uuuuuugh am I really that obvi? I grit my teeth, reset my grip on the pinwheel tray, and lurch forward - watching Jack as the woman dashes off towards the door. Whatever she said to him has him spooked - he's looking around the room now all worried like and furrowing his brow. Is it possible to be even cuter with a furrowed brow? For a moment I imagine waltzing up and kissing that furrowed brow but... not the time...

Clutching my tray like a safety line, I amble up to Jack and try to get his attention. "S-so that, uh, woman... do you know her? She looked really... I mean, like... wow! right?" oh my god this is the worst conversation I've ever been in - quick! Think of something - anything - to deflect to! "Uh... s-so Hazel wanted to know, do you know her name? Uh she thinks, like that it might be related to the uh thing that happened..." just try to act cool like you know what's going on "With, with the Father, right?"

I'm pretty sure everyone in the venue is staring at me now, but for some reason my waitress instincts choose now to kick in - "Oh, and uh, do you want a pinwheel?" I offer out the tray invitingly.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Charm+2 | Cool=0 | Sharp-1 | Tough-1 | Weird+3 | Exp: ✘▢▢▢▢

I gulp as he brings up Elaine... poo poo, I'm like the harbinger of horrible news. He asks me something but I wasn't paying attention, "Yeah, I think so. I, uh... maybe!" Nod. Smile. Breath. Breath again.

Thankfully, he deflects to Hazel, asking us if something weird is going on. Now that he mentions it... I mean, this does have some element of weirdness to it. Six hunters... random strangers... important town figures. If anything bad was going to happen, it'd be now. Of course, this isn't Riverdale... I sigh, furrow my brow, and scan the room looking for weird stuff.

quote:

[10:15 PM] BOTSidekick: @Frgrbrgr: 2d6-1 Investigate by looking around! = (2+1)-1 = 2
Bad stuff!
Experience!

• Locked thread