Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I want to take the plunge into sit-stand desks. They're pretty costly so I wanted to get some advice before I buy.

If you've got a sit/stand desk, which one did you get and how do you like it?

Does anyone have a non-electric one? It looks like only a few companies make non-electric desks and they're more expensive than motorized ones. For some reason I'm more drawn to the ones without motors. The best looking non-electric one is the Humanscale Float listed at almost $1,800. It's like its price premium is a thousand dollars over very decent electric desks.

Help me save my back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I want to take the plunge into sit-stand desks. They're pretty costly so I wanted to get some advice before I buy.

If you've got a sit/stand desk, which one did you get and how do you like it?

Does anyone have a non-electric one? It looks like only a few companies make non-electric desks and they're more expensive than motorized ones. For some reason I'm more drawn to the ones without motors. The best looking non-electric one is the Humanscale Float listed at almost $1,800. It's like its price premium is a thousand dollars over very decent electric desks.

Help me save my back!

I have this one:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/358370/Realspace-Magellan-Performance-Electric-Height-Adjustable/

I've had it for a few months, and I like it quite a bit. It also comes in pneumatic, for cheaper:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/787781/Realspace-Magellan-Pneumatic-Stand-Up-Height/

I guess they're the same price at the moment, since the electric is on sale. It seems to frequently be on sale.

As for other non-electric options, you can buy a hand-crank frame for under $200 and slap whatever you want on the top:
https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjusta...5QP59G8BNH347B5

The price for sit/stand desks has come down considerably; it's not hard to find even motorized options for less than $500. I have never owned anything HumanScale, so I can't speak to how good they are, but one of the reasons that I have never owned anything of theirs is because the prices seem to be completely unhinged from reality.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Magellan desk was also one of the most impressively packaged items that I have ever opened. The parts and assembly tools were divided in their own little baggies, each one numbered with the corresponding assembly step in the instruction manual. What would have been a pretty simple assembly even if all the parts were thrown together ended up becoming a work of manufacturing and packaging engineering art.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 5, 2018

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I have an Ikea Skarsta, its a manually wound one but it works fine, takes about 30-40 seconds to convert and is the equivalent of $200. I cant find if they sell it outside of europe though as the site keeps redirecting me back to the GB version

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/skarsta-desk-sit-stand-white-spr-49084965/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I tried a Vari-Desk, and hated it. It had a little mdf shelf that the keyboard sat on, that when lowered sat on top of the desk. I realize it's a simple 1/4-1/2 inch change in height of the keyboard, but something about that changed the angle of my hands while sitting and made my wrists ache for hours. Fortunately it was through work, so I wasn't out anything, but definitely try one out, and be 100% sure of the ergos before dropping the cash.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I love my Ergotron Teachwell. It's a lot smaller than your average desk at 32 inches wide, but I don't really need that much space. They go for about $600. It has enough of room to fit a macbook pro, 32" monitor, and one hardware project such as disassembling a phone or soldering something.

It doesn't have enough room for any sort of decent speakers, but I picked up a few blue tooth transceivers off amazon for $20 each. Now, I just connect my laptop or phone to the stereo in whatever room it's located.

It's exceptionally handy to be able to wheel it into the kitchen to view recipes or into another room as a small tv.

edit: I forgot to mention that it's a mechanical desk and it has that sweet pneumatic action that converts the desk in a second.

Entone fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 14, 2018

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ahdinko posted:

I have an Ikea Skarsta, its a manually wound one but it works fine, takes about 30-40 seconds to convert and is the equivalent of $200. I cant find if they sell it outside of europe though as the site keeps redirecting me back to the GB version

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/skarsta-desk-sit-stand-white-spr-49084965/

Downside of the Skarstra is that its range is smaller than most "pro" sit/stand desks (or even the Bekant) so if you are tall it might not be high enough to comfortably use standing.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
I have a Jarvis. My office purchased a bunch of them and I liked mine so much I bought one for home. Honestly I don't stand with it for much of the day, but finding the perfect height to fit your chair so that you can maintain good posture is a game changer. Eliminated back/shoulder pain within 3 months:

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/jarvis/jarvis-adjustable-height-desk-bamboo.html

The programmable console lets you get to ideal posture for sitting/standing without fiddling each time, which is a plus.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

I ended up grabbing the Office Depot pneumatic one while it was on sale for $299. I'm really happy with it so far. When playing with the electric version at the store I saw how slowly it raises and lowers compared to the manual one.

I have noticed I definitely need a keyboard tray to get the correct wrist angle for typing. That will be an extra couple hundred bucks but still a fraction of one of the higher-end desks all told.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I ended up grabbing the Office Depot pneumatic one while it was on sale for $299. I'm really happy with it so far. When playing with the electric version at the store I saw how slowly it raises and lowers compared to the manual one.

I have noticed I definitely need a keyboard tray to get the correct wrist angle for typing. That will be an extra couple hundred bucks but still a fraction of one of the higher-end desks all told.

Nice!

Instead of a keyboard tray, the other option might be to raise the monitors up. The Amazon Home Basics monitor arm is what I use on all my desks (6 arms total) and comes pretty highly recommended in the Monitor thread in SH/SC.

Granted, it does require that your monitor(s) be VESA-compliant.

I'm not sure how much a keyboard tray runs, but the arm can just clamp to the desk with no tools/drilling required.

Phone posting or I would provide links :(

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
How the gently caress is that Humanscale Float desk $1800.... is it made out of platinum?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Raldikuk posted:

How the gently caress is that Humanscale Float desk $1800.... is it made out of platinum?

I think HumanScale just wants to be the brand that idiots with more money than sense choose to spend their money on.

. . . although, having not owned one, I cannot say for sure that it's NOT made out of platinum . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Zarin posted:

Instead of a keyboard tray, the other option might be to raise the monitors up. The Amazon Home Basics monitor arm is what I use on all my desks (6 arms total) and comes pretty highly recommended in the Monitor thread in SH/SC.

It's more when I'm seated. At the lowest setting the desktop is around the height a desktop should be, but it's high enough that my arms are pointing up and my wrists are bent at an odd angle. I got used to a keyboard tray at work and like them a lot now. The cost was about $250 and that included a spacer to account for the cross bar that holds the guts of the lifting system. Well worth it considering the amount of money saved on the desk itself thanks to your suggestion.

Raldikuk posted:

I played with one at an office furniture store to see what it was like. I was really smooth and it has a tension adjuster so you can balance out whatever weight the desk is holding on its surface. The Office Depot desk I ended up with is well worth it being one-sixth the cost.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 26, 2018

• Locked thread