Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

good op, just one small mistake - you seem to think that womens featherweight exists and famous video game guy nico beliç is champ of the division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Anyone have that Jacare gif of him terminator walking towards his downed opponent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1P07jfSqek

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

GSP toned his body to the point that he had sort of a greco roman physique and I think that made a lot of people think he was massive for welterweight, especially when he stood next to like Jon Fitch or Josh Koscheck who were technically both bigger than him but they played video games and didnt commit to world class strength and conditioning regiments so they didn't look like a condom stuffed with walnuts. I don't think he was undersized but I always thought people who said he would never have survived the cut to lightweight in his prime were weird and the people who said he could have gone up to mw and dunked on Anderson Silva were bonkers.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

El Roncho posted:

Yair is cool and fun but I'm not too shook up about this. Fighters with silly, meaningless numbers next to their name refusing to fight those without is getting to be a really common problem in the UFC and maybe this'll make guys more hesitant to just sit out until they're offered the most favorable matchup possible.

I fully agree that fighters should not jocky for fights based on rankings, but Dana White also has the power to deincintivize that by removing the weird lovely Reebok sponsorship structure that effectively makes fast tracking yourself to a title the only way to get paid without taking a zillion fights a year.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Auron posted:

lol what

A lot of people talk about the frequency of UFC events for watering down the quality of matchmaking and Conor McGregor for everyone trying to emulate him and talk their way into unwarranted money fights. Those things absolutely cause that to an extent but I think the reebok deal causes a lot of it too and gets glossed over. Back when most of us started fighting you would see the number 6 guy agree to fight the number 12 guy or whatever sherdog had them ranked at fairly frequently, like you could reliably see a few of those level of fights per ppv main card across weight classes, and I think a big part of their willingness to do that was even if they were on like a 25/25 contract they were gonna get 50-75k flat from having condom depot or bony acai or angry brazilian eyes on their rear end so that fight made financial sense regardless and neither of them was realistically knocking on a title shot anyway so there was little ground to lose in regards to career trajectory for either guy. Now the only sponsorhsip money they can make is this tiered reebok poo poo based on if they have had 700 ufc fights or are the champion, and since most fighters are not Donald Cerrone they don't make poo poo and the best financial thing they can do for themselves is angle for title shots constantly or get big money fights.

So now a bunch of guys have mediocre contracts they probably negotiated under the assumption those sweet dynamic fastener checks would keep coming in and now instead get a flat cap of like $3000 in mandatory sponsorship money. In a different sponsorship structure we might not have Colby Covington trying to be a heal so hard he tweets about how Thanos gets off the plane and goes back to Ross and we almost definitely wouldn't have Yair Rodriguez getting cut off of one loss because he postured and tried to get a higher ranked but easier fight, and both of those things suck rear end for ~we the viewers~ and yet both of those things are weirdly incentivized currently.

Anyway finally got caught up on the card I wont be able to see tonight, lmao Dern.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I guarentee you tim kennedys exclusive diet of steak, beer and coffee render his poops a soft shade of green

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Why the gently caress are people here taking the side of management against labour? gently caress is wrong with you idiots.

:ussr:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ariel Helwani: ESPN correspondant

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ariel survived multiple Rampage interviews when he first started, Chael isnt gonna phase him when hes seasoned

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

depends on who is or isnt naked, i think

strategically you actually wouldnt want someones momentum to pass harmlessly beneath you bc that would place them in the TractionZone, which you want to control and deny your opponent, so oildome is the most antimobn ruleset available

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I think the words "defm Demian Maia, dec. (unanimous)" on wikipedia say more about if the fight was boring than this photo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I always think of Maia as a recalcitrant Octopus.

Maia wasnt on the Belfort vs Gastelum card

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

El Roncho posted:

I’m not sure how many cards I’d catch if I had to stay awake past ungodly hours to watch them so I get that. I just feel like if the only thing you have to offer a discussion thread about a certain topic is how little you follow or care about that topic, then maybe shut up?

what if it is a regular poster reacting to topical news that will make watching ufc more difficult and less enjoyable instead of whatever this is

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

fight pass is really good if you never watch anything live. you can just binge like holloway's last five fights in the same time it takes to watch a full card.

I have a buddy who briefly worked in a small town dvd rental place and he discovered there were people who followed ufc exclusively through dvd releases, which have like a 3+ month gap between events and release if they even still make them. This dude came in and picked up a copy of UFC 162 and told my friend at the desk "yeah Im a huge fan of this Anderson Silva guy. he has been champ for forever, Ive never even heard of Chris Weidman I cant wait to see how Anderson kicked his rear end"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is good, but it'd be even better if it was about Luke Rockhold vs Michael Bisping.

I feel for Rockhold Bisping 2 to have been such a cosmic trip it would require you to be a close enough follower of mma that you were very familiar with both fighters, which isnt so for Anderson Weidman.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Looks like Tyron Woodley needs to arrange another special showing of 12 Years a Slave

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

When a straight hits your eye from a big fat gay guy that's a Mark Hunt

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Untrustable posted:

I talk to a court clerk 2,000 miles away that's probably being badgered by the MMA media for any scrap of info they can get.

Ariel Helwani is the singularly best mma journalist in the world and he spent five hours standing in the rain in front of a Brooklyn precinct becauae he had heard of the New York perp walk and thought that meant they were going to bring a high profile suspect publicly through the front door for processing. You are giving the mma media way too much credit.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The Local DMV's Efficiency Keys To Victory for Stephen Thompson:

- average one strike per minute
- show and generate no enthusiasm
- music for people to listen to as they wait for you to perform cannot be more recent than 2002

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The UFC announced publicly without telling Yair they were cutting him bc he wasnt signing the bout agreements they wanted and now he is back signing the bout agreement they want, so it was pretty clearly a pressure negotiation tactic and that is the sort of thing unions exist to prevent

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

my husband, who is not racist, was simply in a white supremecist prisom gang and if you cant expect him to wear long sleeves to thr beach then you REALLY cant expect him to get a coverup tat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Even someone who beasts for mandatory overtime gets bereavement leave, and THATS the power of unions, folks

• Locked thread