Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Is it enough to inform people about GDPR by linking to a new privacy policy for a service and implicitely say "You accept if you don't do anything" , or does the GDPR require companies to receive positive confirmation that I want to accept the new terms?

Some companies seem to only be sending out informative emails, while others are like "You have to accept these terms or we will stop spamming you".

also, this should be a yearly thing - every single year I should have to re-affirm my wish for an entity to hold on to my information. get fukt google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

refleks posted:

Is it enough to inform people about GDPR by linking to a new privacy policy for a service and implicitely say "You accept if you don't do anything"

Under gdpr, this does not count as consent from the user.

It might be fine if you're only doing things that don't require explicit consent though. Or if your pre-existing sign-up procedure got sufficient consent to meet gdpr requirements.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's something uniquely satisfying about seeing a flood of gdpr emails in your inbox and just scrolling right past them

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I hope lowtax has been diligently ensuring the forums are compliant

3peat
May 6, 2010

this is a really funny part of gdpr

Have you ever wondered what your boss or co-workers say about you behind your back? If you’re located in Europe, it will soon be extremely easy to find out.

Under the General Data Protection Regulation that comes into play on 25th of May, any individual located in Europe can ask any company for the data it collects about them – and that includes their employer.

If an employee files a “subject access request” – an email, fax or letter asking for their personal data – their employer will have 30 days to collate a cache of all of the information stored about that person. This includes any email that refers to the worker, as well as performance reviews, job interviews, payroll records, absence records, disciplinary records, computer access logs, CCTV footage, and recordings of phone calls to, from or about the person.

In responding to a subject access request, the company must not include another employee’s personal information. This means that each item must be painstakingly redacted.

“Imagine going through every email sent to you or about you,” said Carvel.

If a company deletes any of the data to prevent disclosure after the subject access request is made, it can be liable for criminal sanctions.

Because of how onerous such requests can be, some data privacy experts warn that they could be exploited by activists to punish a company. A group of unhappy former employees could all file requests at the same time, forcing the company to dedicate resources to respond within the 30-day timeframe.

“If you look at it from that angle it seems unfair for companies. But think about the pensioner who was refused a mortgage and doesn’t understand why,” said Carvel, referring to a case for which the regulation was designed. “It’s not intended to be for malicious activists or disgruntled employees.”

Subject access requests generally allow an individual to see a copy of the information an organisation holds about them, whether it’s a mortgage lender, social media company or retailer.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

3peat posted:

Have you ever wondered what your boss or co-workers say about you behind your back? If you’re located in Europe, it will soon be extremely easy to find out.

Under the General Data Protection Regulation that comes into play on 25th of May, any individual located in Europe can ask any company for the data it collects about them – and that includes their employer.

If an employee files a “subject access request” – an email, fax or letter asking for their personal data – their employer will have 30 days to collate a cache of all of the information stored about that person. This includes any email that refers to the worker, as well as performance reviews, job interviews, payroll records, absence records, disciplinary records, computer access logs, CCTV footage, and recordings of phone calls to, from or about the person.

In responding to a subject access request, the company must not include another employee’s personal information. This means that each item must be painstakingly redacted.

If a company deletes any of the data to prevent disclosure after the subject access request is made, it can be liable for criminal sanctions.

Because of how onerous such requests can be, some data privacy experts warn that they could be exploited by activists to punish a company. A group of unhappy former employees could all file requests at the same time, forcing the company to dedicate resources to respond within the 30-day timeframe.

“If you look at it from that angle it seems unfair for companies. But think about the pensioner who was refused a mortgage and doesn’t understand why,” said Carvel, referring to a case for which the regulation was designed. “It’s not intended to be for malicious activists or disgruntled employees.”

Subject access requests generally allow an individual to see a copy of the information an organisation holds about them, whether it’s a mortgage lender, social media company or retailer.

dont stop im almost there

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

... And then everyone stood up and clapped

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
i work in enterprise software services (like everyone else) and our company recently made us agree to be able to send out our resumes
we're not even in Europe!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

3peat posted:

brb starting a SaaS company to make software that more efficiently spies on your employees in anticipation of having to throw datadumps at them

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The lawsuit against Google and Facebook etc for forcing a choice between data collection and deleting your account is going to be really interesting. The legislation seems pretty clear on this topic, you can't force people to accept unnecessary data collection or distribution in order to use a service.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This is Tumblr's GDPR opt-out:

(Note that there is no "select all" option.)

There's more of these here: https://gdprhallofshame.com/

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 25, 2018

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
thats not a hall of shame. it should be intentionally as inconvenient as possible for the EU to do things in order to properly protest this dumb law

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
deliver a full page popup to everyone with an EU IP saying their data is at risk if they close the popup. also, dont use cookies or anything to record that they clicked OK on it bc cookies are illegal in EU w/o user consent. the user will need the full page popup every page load bc EU laws suck

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao here's npr in its gdpr compliant form

gdpr is destroying javascript and css therefore it is good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

obstipator posted:

thats not a hall of shame. it should be intentionally as inconvenient as possible for the EU to do things in order to properly protest this dumb law

counterpoint: get hosed you gigantic dipshit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

counterpoint: get hosed you gigantic dipshit

it’s this

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
this law is so stupid and abusable. did they even think it through? do they know how information works? if you tell someone something, you dont get to take it back - its out now. when celebrities get their secrets revealed, will the EU sue all magazines telling them to stop printing their celebrity gossip and destroy all sold copies?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
:wrong:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i don't gave a poo poo about any organization

the gpdr is good for end users

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
do you work on anything that users use?
if so, you are required by law to put cycles into features such as “Oops! I didn’t actually want to voluntarily give you my data! Delete the web sight!!!”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

obstipator posted:

if so, you are required by law to put cycles into features such as “Oops! I didn’t actually want to voluntarily give you my data! Delete the web sight!!!”

good.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you should boycott all sites that are not GDPR compliant, starting with SA

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

obstipator posted:

do you work at a company that derives its revenue from selling personal information

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no im a guy that makes internal websites for work, but now i have to jump thru hoops for that or else my company will be fined 20million euros when some idiot gets fired and complains “boo hoo hoo! i’ll show them!”

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:cry:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Themage posted:

do you work at a company that derives its revenue from selling personal information

you don't have to be selling personal information for gdpr to apply to you.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gdpr should be worldwide and gently caress you if you think otherwise

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gdpr will be amended to remove the most onerous poo poo after the EU finishes extorting US companies

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
blockchain violates gdpr
whats eu going to do about that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
news violates gdpr.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao here's npr in its gdpr compliant form

gdpr is destroying javascript and css therefore it is good

This is the preferable format for every website, praise be to the GDPR lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obstipator posted:

no im a guy that makes internal websites for work, but now i have to jump thru hoops for that or else my company will be fined 20million euros when some idiot gets fired and complains “boo hoo hoo! i’ll show them!”

it sure sucks to have to do work at your work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
seriously i can see literally zero downside to GDPR

any company with their poo poo together doesn't even care because they were set up to integrate the new requirements pretty readily and theyre compliant and fine
every lovely company that doesnt actually respect their users is getting owned, either via panic-overtime coder salaries or gdpr fines themselves

icann is making GBS threads their pants, jquery is trolling doubleclick, and the npr homepage is plain links on a white background

remind me of the negatives again

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

any company with their poo poo together doesn't even care because they were set up to integrate the new requirements pretty readily and theyre compliant and fine
every lovely company that doesnt actually respect their users is getting owned, either via panic-overtime coder salaries or gdpr fines themselves

icann is making GBS threads their pants, jquery is trolling doubleclick, and the npr homepage is plain links on a white background

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yall probs havent made anything anyone else has ever used

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The 'gdpr' guy at work is swearing pretty much constantly lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER