Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

obstipator posted:

yall probs havent made anything anyone else has ever used
it's crucially important that we store personal information about our website's users in an opaque and insecure fashion because... reasons!

the only reasons you need to store pii:
1. you actually need it for your product to work
2. you're selling it
3. you're too lazy to manage your own products [and someone's probably selling it on the dl]

my current employer already had extensive systems and policies for protecting customer data in place so the only hassle we've encountered is an extra hour of mandatory training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

attaching financial liability to pii is the only way companies will actually manage it responsibly

like how did yahoo stay in business after literally all their users data was compromised? they were just like "lol whoops" and paid a few million through arbitration

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

seriously i can see literally zero downside to GDPR

any company with their poo poo together doesn't even care because they were set up to integrate the new requirements pretty readily and theyre compliant and fine
every lovely company that doesnt actually respect their users is getting owned, either via panic-overtime coder salaries or gdpr fines themselves

icann is making GBS threads their pants, jquery is trolling doubleclick, and the npr homepage is plain links on a white background

remind me of the negatives again

I think as long as any user who requests you remove their data from your system implicitly waives any liability regarding your services I could be ok with it. We store patient data pretty much forever for contractual/quality reasons and it would be impossible for us to meet any of those reporting requirements for a patient who has requested we remove the data about our interactions with them from our system.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

qirex posted:

my current employer already had extensive systems and policies for protecting customer data in place so the only hassle we've encountered is an extra hour of mandatory training

Nice.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

I think as long as any user who requests you remove their data from your system implicitly waives any liability regarding your services I could be ok with it. We store patient data pretty much forever for contractual/quality reasons and it would be impossible for us to meet any of those reporting requirements for a patient who has requested we remove the data about our interactions with them from our system.

I believe that you're not required to delete someone's data if you need it to fulfil legal or contractual obligations or for reasons such as billing or tax. There aren't too many situations where the right to be forgotten is applicable when it comes to most businesses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
That's not what the law says though. Under gdpr you have the right to be forgotten by all businesses unless your info is needed by law enforcement or for tax reasons. We don't have any governmental or tax reasons to keep this data (for our non-governmental clients atleast), but we have clinical quality and contractual obligations with the client.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

That's not what the law says though. Under gdpr you have the right to be forgotten by all businesses unless your info is needed by law enforcement or for tax reasons. We don't have any governmental or tax reasons to keep this data (for our non-governmental clients atleast), but we have clinical quality and contractual obligations with the client.

I assume the law doesn't vary between countries and ICO in the UK says there are only a limited set of circumstances in which the right to be forgotten applies.

Which of those is the reason you would be required to delete the data? "Legitimate interests" is pretty broad and seems to cover you.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

finance is bad at many things but they are very good at managing customer data

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

I assume the law doesn't vary between countries and ICO in the UK says there are only a limited set of circumstances in which the right to be forgotten applies.

Which of those is the reason you would be required to delete the data? "Legitimate interests" is pretty broad and seems to cover you.

according to that there may be specific exceptions for what we do. also "to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information;" and "for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims." seem like they could be interpreted pretty widely

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Unroll me seems to be struggling to comply with gdpr, I wonder why.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The most hilarious part is the law has been on the books for 2 years now

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

according to that there may be specific exceptions for what we do. also "to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information;" and "for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims." seem like they could be interpreted pretty widely

There's a reason rtbf claims have mostly been applied to search engines aggregating results, and not to primary sources themselves.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
usernames are PII. IPs are PII.
get ready to wipe everything and destroy your database’s data integrity and delete your security audits since the law isnt clear and tries to cast a wide net so everyone and everything is in violation

after two years of this law being warned about, u’d think they would have put more thought into it and amended it to be rational, but noooo, not in the EU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

obstipator posted:

get ready to wipe everything and destroy your database’s data integrity and delete your security audits since the law isnt clear and tries to cast a wide net so everyone and everything is in violation

after two years of this law being warned about, u’d think they would have put more thought into it and amended it to be rational, but noooo, not in the EU

IPs are only PII if you have access to or the legal ability to obtain other PII linked to that IP according to the EU courts in 2016, so log files containing IPs of unknown individuals are fine.

Don't know about usernames, but the right to be forgotten has get out clauses you could drive a truck through as long as you're not using the data for advertising and have "legitimate reasons" to keep the information.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Anyone who has seen all the idiotic data leaks and the recent social media manipulation by shady companies and the rise of internet of poo poo and still does not understand why GDPR is absolutely necessary to maintain a sane internet is beyond help IMO.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

seriously i can see literally zero downside to GDPR

any company with their poo poo together doesn't even care because they were set up to integrate the new requirements pretty readily and theyre compliant and fine
every lovely company that doesnt actually respect their users is getting owned, either via panic-overtime coder salaries or gdpr fines themselves

icann is making GBS threads their pants, jquery is trolling doubleclick, and the npr homepage is plain links on a white background

remind me of the negatives again

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

obstipator posted:

good.

kindly gently caress off

e: i am giving you explicit written consent to kindly gently caress off

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheCoach posted:

Anyone who has seen all the idiotic data leaks and the recent social media manipulation by shady companies and the rise of internet of poo poo and still does not understand why GDPR is absolutely necessary to maintain a sane internet is beyond help IMO.

but but but it requires some code monkey to actually do some work for once!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

All you have to do is "anonymise" your data anyway. None of the vendors selling IoT butt plug GPS data are shutting down so I doubt it's hard to meet the required bar

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

but but but it requires some code monkey to actually do some work for once!

See! EU creates jobs!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

obstipator posted:

yall probs havent made anything anyone else has ever used

to be fair, no programmer has made anything ever so this isn't really all that surprising

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i made a burger once

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
on tuesday my org is having a

global
disco
party
reception

to celebrate our efforts towards compliance haha. 9:am champagne ftw

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Has anyone written an add-on that automatically opts out of ads/tracking and blocks all pop ups yet?

In case anyone wants to send a request for their data to sites like TRONC / LA Times that thinks the law doesn't apply to them.

quote:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to obtain the following information that I am entitled to receive pursuant to Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):

Please confirm as to whether or not my personal data is being processed, and, where that is the case, please provide access to the personal data, and the following information:
the purposes of the processing;
the categories of personal data concerned;
the recipients or categories of recipient to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed;
where possible, the envisaged period for which the personal data will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period;
where the personal data are not collected from me, any available information as to their source;
the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling, and at least in those cases, meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and the envisaged consequences of such processing for me.

If you need any more information from me, please let me know as soon as possible. Please note that I have the right to receive this information in a standardized format within 30 days of your receipt of this request.

If you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass along this letter to your Data Protection Officer. I can be contacted by email, phone, and mail. My preferred method of contact is email.

Regards,

[ MY SIGNATURE ]

[ MY NAME ]
[ MY ADDRESS ]
[ MY PHONE NUMBER ]
[ MY EMAIL ADDRESS ]
https://mydatarequest.com/

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

sounds like your employers problem op

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ted hitler posted:

Has anyone written an add-on that automatically opts out of ads/tracking and blocks all pop ups yet?

In case anyone wants to send a request for their data to sites like TRONC / LA Times that thinks the law doesn't apply to them.

https://mydatarequest.com/

goddamn I wish I lived in Europe again

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
GDPR owns and if you don’t agree just read the last page and see it’s only Shaggar and obstipator who are with you and they clearly don’t know what they’re talking about

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

obstipator posted:

youre brain is broken, op

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Trashman posted:

GDPR owns and if you don’t agree just read the last page and see it’s only Shaggar and obstipator who are with you and they clearly don’t know what they’re talking about

Ok, but I irresponsibly abuse customer data all the time in my day to day work, so It's bad. Put yourself in my shoes and imagine all the headaches this will cause in the guerrilla marketing sector!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i agree with gpdr for the most part, but i heard on the radio that even if you take a picture on vacation, and some strangers happen to be in the frame, that you need verbal consent to put it on fartbook or wherever or else you're technically breaking the law and owe $200 million dollars. seems like it might need a little shaping before it becomes real good.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

sounds perfect already

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think im sexually attracted to gdpr

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Good Day to Purge Rubbish (GDPR owns)

https://twitter.com/paulcalvano/status/1000094415485132801

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

i agree with gpdr for the most part, but i heard on the radio that even if you take a picture on vacation, and some strangers happen to be in the frame, that you need verbal consent to put it on fartbook or wherever or else you're technically breaking the law and owe $200 million dollars. seems like it might need a little shaping before it becomes real good.

You heard a dumb person saying something dumb, GDPR is legislation that applies to enterprises, not people. Unless you're acting on behalf of a company, it literally has no affect on you what so ever.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
are all of you guys for real not affected by this? none of you work on services for users?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if users actually want your "services", gdpr isn't a problem

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If you're not an advertising company and you're not selling your user data, then it's just a case of sending out your opt in emails and having a process for data redaction if your service isn't covered by the huge "legitimate reasons" get out clause in the right to erasure.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jabor posted:

if users actually want your "services", gdpr isn't a problem

duuuurrrrrr :downs:

SA violates gdpr. its just a matter of time for some idiot who got permabanned to complain to the EU and they fine the gently caress out of this place. do you not realize every site that has users is on the chopping block bc of gdpr?
i dont get why you guys are being so dense

deleting user data is a painful process if youve ever worked on a service before. every row tied to a username has to be deleted. theres no real good way to say oh this guy decided he wanted to be vaporized, lets delete everything and make everything they did completely disjointed and unusable. lets corrupt time and history bc if we dont, we will be in crippling debt

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

obstipator posted:

are all of you guys for real not affected by this? none of you work on services for users?

I have been working on this. It has been a huge pain, but I still think it’s a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

obstipator posted:

duuuurrrrrr :downs:

SA violates gdpr. its just a matter of time for some idiot who got permabanned to complain to the EU and they fine the gently caress out of this place. do you not realize every site that has users is on the chopping block bc of gdpr?
i dont get why you guys are being so dense

deleting user data is a painful process if youve ever worked on a service before. every row tied to a username has to be deleted. theres no real good way to say oh this guy decided he wanted to be vaporized, lets delete everything and make everything they did completely disjointed and unusable. lets corrupt time and history bc if we dont, we will be in crippling debt

That's not how it works, read the legislation on right to erasure: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

Specifically:

quote:

The right to erasure does not apply if processing is necessary for one of the following reasons:

to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information;

You can also refuse to comply with the right to erasure if it is "manifestly unfounded or excessive" which would cover this example even if it wasn't already invalid.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 26, 2018

• Locked thread