Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

obstipator being willfully dense well i never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

That's not how it works, read the legislation on right to erasure: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

Specifically:

You can also refuse to comply with the right to erasure if it is "manifestly unfounded or excessive" which would cover this example even if it wasn't already invalid.

this nullifies the whole law then lol
hurray!
holy moley. companies can charge the individual for making the tools to delete their stupid data. i like this

in what ways can companies legitimately be fined then? it seems like as long as they email people back within a month telling them theyll charge x man hours to make the tools to delete their poo poo then they’ll be ok, since theres no way an individual would actually pay the amount thats required for someone to build these delete everything tools

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

obstipator posted:

this nullifies the whole law then lol
hurray!
holy moley. companies can charge the individual for making the tools to delete their stupid data. i like this

in what ways can companies legitimately be fined then? it seems like as long as they email people back within a month telling them theyll charge x man hours to make the tools to delete their poo poo then they’ll be ok, since theres no way an individual would actually pay the amount thats required for someone to build these delete everything tools

It's really just trying to target marketing companies that build up data to sell or use in targeted advertising, such that if you opt in to something then change your mind it's not "too late, we sold your data to everyone on the planet and there's nothing you can do". The massive fines are there to scare people away from simply lying about how hard it is or their use of the data.

It's also used against Google etc to remove search results to linking to damaging material. I personally think this is abuse of the legislation but there are arguments both ways.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

obstipator posted:

are all of you guys for real not affected by this? none of you work on services for users?

We're a SaaS company and I've been doing most of the work on this the last 6 weeks or so. Most of the time over the last 6 months was spent understanding what we had to do for compliance. Which for our main app was add in a message that we used GA and used their information for internal use only.

We do some external stats collecting and recommendations for our clients and that actual work as been cake because we could get away with pseudonymization and anonymization - because while we collect some stats, we don't break things down into demographic profiles created for visitors, etc.

With these changes we were accepted into Privacy Shield to cover our collective rear end as well.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

obstipator posted:

SA violates gdpr. its just a matter of time for some idiot who got permabanned to complain to the EU and they fine the gently caress out of this place. do you not realize every site that has users is on the chopping block bc of gdpr?
i dont get why you guys are being so dense

SA has almost no gdpr obligations

it does not collect pii at all..

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

obstipator posted:

are all of you guys for real not affected by this? none of you work on services for users?

users give me money for my software

i am not harvesting their data to spy on them lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

obstipator posted:

LRU eviction out of Varnish means that we can move 17 tbit/sec and have basically no GDPR liability, its pretty fun. many other companies are far worse off

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

goddamn I wish I lived in Europe again
The GDPR applies to natural persons within the European Union. Get an EU VPN.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it does not collect pii at all..
PII is definitely collected whenever you pay anything, which you do at account creation

I think this info sometimes gets used to enforce permabans

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ShadowHawk posted:

PII is definitely collected whenever you pay anything, which you do at account creation

I think this info sometimes gets used to enforce permabans

That's a legitimate business reason though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Private Speech posted:

That's a legitimate business reason though

And it's probably not shared with anyone.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Private Speech posted:

a legitimate business

not sure these forums rise to that level, tbh

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/MicroSFF/status/999648497329729536

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jonny 290 posted:

The maximum penalty for any GDPR violations would be 4% of SA's annual revenue, so still $0

or 10 million moon currency, so still zero.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Stymie posted:

hey, gently caress off with the r-word

found the retard

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hey, gently caress off with the r-word

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao here's npr in its gdpr compliant form

gdpr is destroying javascript and css therefore it is good

:yeah:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao here's npr in its gdpr compliant form

gdpr is destroying javascript and css therefore it is good

This actually looks way more user friendly than almost every news site.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I looked up the website of a restaurant recently and it was just plain text "Our address is x, are hours are y, our phone number is z, here is a link to a scan of our menu"

Then at the bottom it said "Our website is under construction please forgive the temporary page" and I got really sad.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
wait let me get this straight

are you telling me it's possible to pass laws that are in the interest of the general public
while not in the interest of large corps?

what the gently caress

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
not in the US, no

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://eu.usatoday.com/ look how loving fast it loads

don't really want to read usa today in the slightest but still

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 28, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is very bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gdpr is very good

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Generic Monk posted:

loving owns

all adtech and background scripts need to die, and if gdpr is the thing that kills them the eu should get a nobel peace prize for it (another one)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Generic Monk posted:

USA Today is actually pretty decent though?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

agreed, suck my woke dick

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

USA Today is actually pretty decent though?

ron howard voice: it isn't

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hi guys just checking in to see on everybody freaking the gently caress out over gdpr. It;s v good.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

some idiot closed his forums cause he's super afraid of the GDPR

https://www.bodhilinux.com/2018/06/03/forums-closed-due-to-gdpr/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

whats the super convoluted rms take on gdpr

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It turns out GDPR is an awesome new tool for trolling people online, thanks to some idiot lawyer on linkedin doing all the legwork for them: https://jacquesmattheij.com/so-your-start-up-receive-the-nightmare-gdpr-letter

Another closed forum:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/gdpr-troll-defense/89026

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
gdpr trip report: its like the cookie law but instead of a sticky banner with an i accept button its a modal with an i accept button

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Maximum Leader posted:

gdpr trip report: its like the cookie law but instead of a sticky banner with an i accept button its a modal with an i accept button

oh boy i wonder how accessible those modals are and how many sites could get slammed for not informing all users adequately :allears:

whats the eu equivalent of ada compliancy?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
any decent writing on china and GDPR compliance? curious to see what happens when a German walks through a Chinese social credit cctv network or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

any decent writing on china and GDPR compliance? curious to see what happens when a German walks through a Chinese social credit cctv network or something.

China will just be “lol you gonna start a trade war over this poo poo? didn’t think so”

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Only matters if you're doing business in the EU or with EU businesses so it's not too interesting in most cases.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Agile Vector posted:

whats the eu equivalent of ada compliancy?

who gives a gently caress

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

DELETE CASCADE posted:

accessible nihilism? ✓

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lots of people, this is the ground floor of many future lawsuits / enforcement / compliance [consulting], god willing

• Locked thread