Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Propaganda Machine posted:

I had to skip through the end of the scene in the cliff. There were a few painfully bad and awkward scenes in there.

that scene in particular is so baffling, they're literally hanging on to the edge and could JUST CLIMB UP

and now i'm seeing that the guy who wrote all three movies also co-wrote The Fifth Element, The Transporter, and Taken, wrote Taps for crying out loud, and got paid $135,000 for his first screenplay which was never even made into a film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The best part is "oh there's a new rule that last year's champion doesn't have to fight in the tournament, he can just skip to the finals."

See that doesn't seem totally unrealistic to me. Are there not some tournaments of whatever kind/sport that actually work like that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hipster_Doofus posted:

See that doesn't seem totally unrealistic to me. Are there not some tournaments of whatever kind/sport that actually work like that?

I've never seen a single sports event where that is the case.

Especially in one where the contender would have been punched and kicked all day, and then has to fight a fresh opponent.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

At that point it's just a title belt that you have to win a tournament to have a shot at first.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

spandexcajun posted:

Daniel rides a torpedo launched from a submarine headed toward a battleship, jumps off the torpedo onto a airplane, jumps from the airplane into a car (that jumped) and gets in the car and lands.

I'm not lying. I also saw the sphinx and I think Lao Pan from Big trouble in little china town.

EDIT: I missed a motorcycle jump onto the airplane before riding the torpedo.

Didn't the creators of Cobra Kai say they considered everything Karate Kid to be canon?

Everything?! :allears:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Especially in one where the contender would have been punched and kicked all day, and then has to fight a fresh opponent.

Aha, right. Hadn't thought of it that way. Yeah that'd be absurd... not be a fair test of the current champion's abilities at all.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wa27 posted:

At that point it's just a title belt that you have to win a tournament to have a shot at first.

yeah it's Pro Wrestling rules which are obviously not terribly relevant to "real" tournaments

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Just finished the first season and I cannot believe how entertaining that was. Right from the beginning I thought this would be some cheap knockoff rebranding, and that all odds of this being good, let alone entertaining, were very bad.
I couldn't have been more wrong. It was such a popcorn fun show every week, and the energy never went down. Feels like there's still a lot of space to breathe for season 2 also.
Surprisingly funny, and surprisingly good watch for sure.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

wa27 posted:

I wanted to reflexively kick you in the face when I saw your word choice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

No, at most tournaments seed previous champions and wild-cards to avoid the best contenders squaring off in the first rounds.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MiddleOne posted:

No, at most tournaments seed previous champions and wild-cards to avoid the best contenders squaring off in the first rounds.

That's not always true. In MMA, Bellator doesn't really do that. Pride did but they usually just planned on a big second round. In MMA it's too risky to try and hope for a big finals because random injuries happen and getting an upset over a big star almost never results in that person becoming a big star themselves so you just end up hurting your real draw.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I miss Pride. 10 minute first round was a stroke if genius. Not to mention the freak show matches.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The move that Daniel Son wins with in KK3 is such a wet fart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Based on the huge success of this show I am really interested to see what the first copycat will be.

Teen Witch? Sixteen Candles? Footloose? Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Rhyno posted:

Based on the huge success of this show I am really interested to see what the first copycat will be.

I wish it could be Sidekicks. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

waah posted:

I wish it could be Sidekicks. :(

Brandis is dead, what would be the point?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

Goonies.

edit: Totally forgot Josh Brolin was that lead in that. Good luck getting him now.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Rhyno posted:

Brandis is dead, what would be the point?

That's why I said, I wish it could be, not I want it to be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bill and Ted are already in the wings as well as a Goonies remake I thought. Basically from here on out I'm gonna get to rewatch all of my old favorite 80's movies. Kinda looking forward to Maximum Overdrive.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Rhyno posted:

Back to the Future, with Griff Tannen as the protagonist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Footloose already got remade less than 10 years ago

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Taimak is still looking pretty good, and Ernie Reyes Jr and Glen Eaton are still acting, so a Last Dragon show would be possible. Not sure if it'd be worth it without Julius Carrey tho. :(

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Let's go Bloodsport and see old JCVD vs old rear end Bolo Yueng

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if Amazon now regrets cancelling Jean-Claude Van Johnson, it was very much in the spirit of this show.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

waah posted:

Let's go Bloodsport and see old JCVD vs old rear end Bolo Yueng

Only if you call it Bloodsport NEX

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

precision posted:

I wonder if Amazon now regrets cancelling Jean-Claude Van Johnson, it was very much in the spirit of this show.

They should regret it because it was hilarious and promising. Couldn't they start it back up If they wanted though? I'm sure they'd still have the rights.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

precision posted:

I didn't know they had decided not to make more. That sucks. JCVJ was the single best show of all streaming service produced shows ever, and probably top 10 of TV in general.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Full House :v:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The best part is "oh there's a new rule that last year's champion doesn't have to fight in the tournament, he can just skip to the finals."

I guess to spare us a tournament montage or to spare Ralph from having to do more katate than necessary.

I could have sworn Johnny had some fights in the ‘you’re the best’ montage. Though it coulda been Dutch; they both had super-bleached 80s hair

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He did. I remember because he did that kick in the face while holding the other dude's arm and I thought it was the coolest thing.

Edit:
Also why I played Jin in Tekken 3.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hells yeah that face-kick was like the coolest thing I saw as a kid!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

I could have sworn Johnny had some fights in the ‘you’re the best’ montage. Though it coulda been Dutch; they both had super-bleached 80s hair

I'm referring to KK3, in which a clearly out of shape 35 year old Ralph does as little actual karate as possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm referring to KK3, in which a clearly out of shape 35 year old Ralph does as little actual karate as possible.

oh please

he was only 28!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Whoops. My mistake.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

To be fair, he barely did any karate in the other movies either. I think the most was in KK2 and just that last fight. And then Chozen immediately falls victim to chromosome stealing toy drums and Daniel basically "windmill punches" him into submission.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 25, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just rewatched KK2 and his punches look so goddamned goofy in that scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I mean the original KK is one of those weird 80s movies that tried to get the message across that "it doesn't matter if you're the best fighter, what matters is if you fight for the right reasons" and takes it to its logically insane conclusion which is "you can win the whole banana by having your opponent literally and intentionally headbutt your foot"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm loving how Larusso is unambiguously the bad guy who, among many things, doubled the rent on everyone at the strip mall like the capitalist pig he is. Even celebrating with a nice vintage wine.
:thermidor:

Johnny is having problems with his lessons influencing his students badly but he definitely sees the problem and is willing to work on it. And Aisha is doing great balancing what she's learned and forgiving her friend, she's the loving best.

It's especially great how they seem to be setting up Larusso and his inherited fancy dojo versus the upstart strip mall dojo.
It's a tale as old as Kung Fu movies with the plucky dojo of the people getting menaced by the big bad dojo.

Cobra Kai Never Dies :hai:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

It's especially great how they seem to be setting up Larusso and his inherited fancy dojo versus the upstart strip mall dojo.
It's a tale as old as Kung Fu movies with the plucky dojo of the people getting menaced by the big bad dojo.

True, but you also have the wild card of Kreese, who will be playing a big part:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/cobra-kai-martin-kove-series-regular-season-2-youtube-red-show-1202397797/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

precision posted:

Yeah, I mean the original KK is one of those weird 80s movies that tried to get the message across that "it doesn't matter if you're the best fighter, what matters is if you fight for the right reasons" and takes it to its logically insane conclusion which is "you can win the whole banana by having your opponent literally and intentionally headbutt your foot"

Well, they did keep to the core message with the final fight of the season, with how Robby made tentative steps to reconciling with his dad and more-or-less completely reconciled with his Karate Dad despite losing, while Miguel alienated himself from Sam, at least in part from Johnny (although how that plays out remains to be seen in S2) and even his mom (she applauds for him, but there's definitely a bit where she's concerned when he first goes for Robby's shoulder). He won, but the fact he didn't do it fairly is probably going to hang over him.

I kind of hope Dimitri tries out for Miyagi-Do next season, only to get fed up in the 'wax on, wax off' stage (which will likely occur concurrently/be part of the 'fixing up Miyagi's old house/dojo' montage) and quit before the big reveal. Like, when it gets to season 5 when literally everyone else is in one of 7 competing martial arts dojos, I want him to be The Kid Who Doesn't Do Karate.

• Locked thread