Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This show is way better than it has any right to be. How everything turned out at the tournament in the end is great story telling and I'm onboard for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I would have preferred it if Cobra Kai hadn't done as well as they did establishing that attitude isn't everything and years of practice and discipline also matter. You could have had the whole thing play out exactly the same way on the undercard matches, have Miguel beat Rocky in the quarterfinals then get stomped in the semis. Would have given them more room to grow.

I kinda felt the ending worked for Johnny more than anything. He's learning miyagi-do through observation and finally realizing why Cobra Kai philosophy is broken. Here he sees his adoptive son become triumphant by "fighting dirty" against his own flesh and blood son who Johnny wishes he could be a better father towards (and in turn not be a shitbag dad like the dad he had).

Miguel also has regrets in that Cobra Kai gave him the ability to overcome his bullies and gains confidence but the adoption of the "no mercy" attitude made him lose the affection of someone he liked.

In the end the victory at the tournament is a Pyrrhic victory for both Johnny and Miguel, more so for Johnny. Johnny is coming to the realization that while he did a good thing for these kids he's turning them into assholes (reflections of himself that he realizes he doesn't like and also realizing that he may in fact be perpetuating a cycle of abuse he himself was subjected to) while Miguel is slowly realizing that he may have "won" but he didn't walk away with the prize he wanted. There are plenty of chances in season 2 for both of these characters to reflect back on the event and grow.

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 15, 2018

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

They should just make these episodes available to purchase with/without a youtube red subscription. I have no doubt that folks will cancel their subs and sign up again when season 2 starts up. There is no legitimate reason to subscribe to youtube red except for this show

G-III fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2018

• Locked thread