Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mandrel posted:

Despite everything, I still easily found myself rooting for Miguel to beat Robbie’s rear end in the final fight. That kid hasn’t earned poo poo, and Daniel can get hosed. “AFTER EVERYTHING HE’S DONE” my rear end dude, he beat you up a couple of times in high school (all fights you literally instigated) and pushed you off your bike. In return you destroyed his life and had all your wildest dreams come true. Get the gently caress over it already you gigantic baby, christ.

Incredible show, can’t wait for season 2. Going to be evangelizing for it to anyone who’ll listen.

I think that's part of what I like about it. Macchio is producing the gently caress out of this, and it's an honest take on Daniel as a villain/anti-hero. He's living the 1% Valley life, sure, but the opening episodes firmly establish that his life is bullshit. His kids are assholes (and I do think his daughter is still firmly an rear end in a top hat by the end), his business partners are both assholes and incompetent, and he's a car salesman for gently caress's sake. It's a good way to make a living but it's not exactly honest.

The narrative arc was a bit on the nose and the soap opera feeling detracted just a little bit. Daniel admits to being hot-tempered, but everybody was impatient to unbelievable degrees. The way the plotlines fell made everything utterly predictable, but somehow it was well-enough done that it didn't matter that much. Good loving show, can't wait for Miyagi-Do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Daniel talks about his time in Okinawa briefly, but that was as much as I could tell. With Ali featuring so prominently it did feel like they retconned the romantic subplot from Japan.

Regarding the daughter, we don't see her change over the course of the season, she just reacts to everything happening around her. She only ever hung out with Miguel and her old friend out of necessity. It's nice that she seems to want to go back to karate, but her motivation for those ten seconds of a scene are unknown at this point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Panzeh posted:

I liked it- things happened that make sense to happen and I was entertained the whole way through.

Spoilers:

For all the assholishness Daniel has, his teaching results in someone who ended up being a better person for it, whereas Johnny teaches his pupils how to be jackasses and begins to regret it as he watches his son get cheap shotted.

They're just passing on what they know; it's why martial artists take lineage seriously. It'll be cool if/when Johnny's art evolves against the pressure from the canonical Worst Sensei Ever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Is KK3 worth watching? The first sequel was okay but it lost enough magic that I never really wanted to watch the last one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Daniel's thinly-veiled contempt for his son was an amazing running joke. You can tell that kid is going to ruin some major poo poo in the future.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Even in pre-botox Hollywood, he looked old for being in his early 40s.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How much are they, is it the standard $2.99/episode or whatever? I approve of wallet voting, but Red is worth it just to get rid of the ads. It's nice that it finally has quality content to boot. But, a month would still be cheaper I think.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Clipperton posted:

No Youtube Red in Canada unfortunately!

This angers me. Don't they have offices in Toronto?

Anyway, hunting down KK3 and found this:

IMDB posted:

Going against Miyagi's wishes, Daniel uses his college funds to realize Miyagi's dream of opening a bonsai tree shop, and becomes a partner in the bonsai business.

Suddenly it makes sense why he became a car salesman.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm watching KK3 now. No Rifftrax, but Daniel showing Miyagi-sama the initial space for the Bonsai shop is positively dripping with his car salesmanship.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
In my experience they use most of their energy feverishly trying to convince the world that they're not from Jersey. Connecticut is much worse anyway.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not as stupid as the two legged kick in this one

Right? Capoeira has no place at a karate tournament. The move was bad, but some of the earlier fights at the tournament have ridiculous jumping-flipping-handspringing bullshit.

I mean nobody cares and that's not why anybody was tuning in and it's fun to look at, but it irrationally angers me.

(also, when I was double-checking the last episode for that just now, I saw that the placemarker on the video is a silhouette of the crane kick instead of a red dot :3: )

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty much all the kids in this were good actors. I haven't bothered looking them up, are they all really like 22 or something and just playing kids?

I just did a quick run down the IMDB page and the vast majority of them don't list their ages. Miguel and Hawk are 16/17, Sam is 22, and as for the rest, :iiam:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm fully sensitive to why Johnny's methods can be harmful and dangerous, but I was a big fan of his ruthless devil-may-care attitude against the kids acting like special snowflakes for any reason. I don't know if it was meant to be a commentary on safe space bullshit, but Johnny is absolutely right. Nobody in the real world is going to care, and you have to get over yourself to get very far. I'd imagine we all know people who missed that memo, and it's more sad than anything.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's also nice to have somebody who's relevant but uninvolved with any karate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Darko posted:

They bid, just not that much. Netflix bid on it as something that would just pop up randomly and be third tier advertised like Trailer Park Boys Season 52, Youtube bid on it as their premiere show, which is still not that hugely budgeted.

Yeah, I seriously don't understand the Netflix game plan. House of Cards was great, OitNB season one was great, everything they produced was great when new series/seasons were events. At this point there's so much content that it all looks terrible.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so I watched Karate Kid 3 on the advice of this thread. I actually started with the Rifftrax but cut over to regular audio after a bit because I was digging it. So... it's a total loss for the good guys, right? Daniel-san wins the tournament, but they didn't really give a poo poo about the tournament in the first place, the whole movie was him being forced to enter it. And his win basically has the largest asterisk ever next to it -- everyone watched Mike Barnes just beat the poo poo out of him for the entire match, even throwing away his own points to clown on him some more, and then Daniel just gets a lucky point in when they go to sudden death. No one's walking away from that match thinking Barnes wasn't a hilariously better fighter.

And then, well, Miyagi and Daniel got their lives hosed over. I assume the bonsai shop failed after getting smashed up and getting all its inventory stolen, Daniel lost his money for college, and Terry Silver gets to go back to hiding toxic waste all over the globe. And Mike Barnes has learned a valuable lesson about loving around too much when he beats up a nerd.

It's the tournament that gets Cobra Kai banned "forever," so there's that much at least. Seems like it satisfied Daniel for 30 years or so.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm agreeing with a reluctant Johnny/Daniel teamup in the middle of the season. The rivalry would resume when and if they kick Kreese out of the valley. I'm looking forward to getting more or of the kids though. They needed the first season to get established and comfortable, but the main ones are really coming into their own, and I'd imagine the showrunners know that the students are the heart of the franchise.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Daniel was petulant in III, but I think it was a lot more understandable given what was being done to him between the intimidation and manipulation (Christ that guy was an amazing villain). If anything it kind of broke Miyagi's character. Pacifism and balance and all, but he was blind and unmoving in the face of context.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, YouTube red has a spotty track record with its homegrown stars.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alan Smithee posted:

from what I gather they don't even explain why the Jackie Chan Kung Fu China is still called Karate Kid since I didnt watch it. I feel like this show could address that without being preachy. Hell have Jackie Chan show up

Because Will Smith has more money than god and wanted to reboot a beloved franchise to serve as a summer blockbuster vehicle for his kid.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had too until I saw Will Smith in the credits.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a competent summer movie, and I liked Sifu Chan. It was just another in a lineup of eh action flicks that year.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

X-O posted:

Jaden's Karate Kid is fine. It's literally right in the middle quality wise if we're taking all five movies into question. It's better than KK3 and Next Karate Kid for sure (though 3 is infinitely more rewatchable). I'd put it and KK2 pretty close but KK2 barely edges it out I think. Of the five films it's one of three that are legitimately well made and good films.

I have only seen it once though, as I said I don't find it as rewatchable as the original trilogy which I've seen many many times.

It does edge out KKIII, but I think that's a sign of the times and production value. There's no arguing that it was slicker, but I was much more invested in Daniel than Jaden, whose character's name I don't even remember. I don't particularly want to watch it again, but he had some serious attitude problems. It's fun going back and reminiscing about how Daniel was actually the rear end in a top hat, but at the very least he made an honest go of his new life in Reseda. Jaden was just like, "China sucks; I hate this entire country."

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 21, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had to skip through the end of the scene in the cliff. There were a few painfully bad and awkward scenes in there.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

precision posted:

I wonder if Amazon now regrets cancelling Jean-Claude Van Johnson, it was very much in the spirit of this show.

They should regret it because it was hilarious and promising. Couldn't they start it back up If they wanted though? I'm sure they'd still have the rights.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Johnny and Daniel, same.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

etalian posted:

someone finally made a tribute to the fail son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Aq61C9ayE

I love that they resent that kid so much that his creation is an acceptable reason for the wife not to do karate. That would be incredibly sad if Antonio deserved any pity (he does not).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

zeal posted:

Like Johnny before him, Antonio just has a terrible role-model: the internet, and Daniel during his worst period of bougie emptiness. Of course the kid grew up thinking karate was dumb if all he ever saw his dad do with it was sell cars to rich bastards

But the mom is awesome. Also, differentiating Street Fighter (I think) from karate because "it has fireballs" doesn't indicate the depth of thinking that would associate karate with late stage capitalism. He thinks karate is stupid because he's a petulant little poo poo, not because he engages in critical thinking.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

freeranger posted:

So does "The Next Karate Kid" exist in this world? Can we expect a Hillary Swank cameo in the future after Daniel messes up teaching his students?

They'd probably have to dip in to magical Google money to come even close to affording her.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It got panned for being lovely in general and basically retelling the first movie without adding anything new or compelling.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You kind of need for things to go poorly to sustain a compelling narrative, and given that the movies all have fairy tale endings born of perceived slights and magic bullshit, it's refreshing that the show lets actually lovely things happen to and between most of the characters.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair to Daniel for some reason, Miyagi was older and had gone through more bullshit in life in order to get to that point. Breathe deep and focus is a decent step in that direction.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Not in Hollywood years :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't understand how Macchio's entire facial structure changed after he hit 30. It's inhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It probably got un gentrified

I know it's all the rage these days, but Reseda is in fact still a shithole.

• Locked thread