Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If you're into '60s psychedelic rock and pop (or the Ween approach to genre parody/homage), you must listen to the EP and album they released as The Dukes of Stratosphear. It's some of their very best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30XdxwZb0kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGcaDYSrMM

I had no idea Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson) was with XTC for a while. That's awesome.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Astrochicken posted:

Are we all in agreement that Mummer and Big Express are less than stellar?

It's been a while since I listened to either in their entirety, but I remember thinking Mummer started strong and kinda petered out, while The Big Express was maybe one of their best. Train Running Low on Soul Coal is one of my favorite XTC songs, and it would be their best closing track if not for Travels in Nihilon.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
My ranking goes Apple Venus Vol. 1 > Chips from the Chocolate Fireball > Skylarking > Drums and Wires > Black Sea, and I'm not too sure after that. I binge-listened almost their whole career several years ago, and a lot of it runs together in my memory—I recall English Settlement and Oranges & Lemons being my least favorite, but gently caress if I can even remember why at this point. The only album of theirs I still haven't heard at all is Go 2.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 14, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I adore Your Dictionary, music and lyrics. It's very self-consciously dumb and overly twee while still feeling heartfelt, in a way that reminds me of Ween or maybe Of Montreal at their best.

• Locked thread