Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It seems like having several pools will be more beneficial in the hardest difficultys where fights are lasting a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh I thought it was before the idea was the multi-class characters get way more abilities in the end. I guess it just means now they have a larger overall pool to pull from but that's it. Honestly that kinda takes the shine off multi-classing for me then if that's what that means then.

Multiclassing is still very powerful, but it's no longer the case that throwing two classes together is better in all cases. You need to actually select some stuff that synergizes well together. Good class synergies can be more than worth the loss of 8th/9th level abilities.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

frajaq posted:

According to the devs, you'll miss only some very minor stuff

I'm still super curious as to what that minor stuff will be.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Multiclassing is still very powerful, but it's no longer the case that throwing two classes together is better in all cases. You need to actually select some stuff that synergizes well together. Good class synergies can be more than worth the loss of 8th/9th level abilities.

Yep! I suspect multiclassing in of itself will be neither overpowered nor underpowered; it's all about the combos you find.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Completely unrelated, but I've been talking about how the Animal Companions of multiclass Rangers are weaker than those of single class Rangers a couple of times in the last few days. I definitely remember reading that on the official forums at some point. But it's not consistent with how summons (that scale with level, not Power Level) and a couple of other things in the game work so I just checked that again right now.

And animal companions do in fact also scale with level, so the animal companion of a multiclass Ranger will be as good as that of a single class Ranger before abilities are taken into account.

Which makes multiclass Rangers a lot more desirable than I thought. It's especially nice for pairing a martial and a caster class without having to go crazy over casting times because oh no the opportunity costs!
Definitely making Maia a Ranger/Wizard now.

I'm also wondering how I managed to put nearly 100 hours into the beta, play probably a dozen or more Rangers and yet never actually check if what I read about their leveling was correct. v:kiddo:v

Clever Spambot posted:

It seems like having several pools will be more beneficial in the hardest difficultys where fights are lasting a while
Depends on what abilities you take and how they scale with Power Level.

e: What I mean is, if the abilities you want gain a lot from extra Power Levels, going single class can still be better. For the record, I found single and multiclass characters balanced well against each other in the beta but that's a range of 3 levels, which is not extremely meaningful.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 5, 2018

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I spent the last ~hour statting out pure Fire Godlike Goldpact Paladin vs my horrible Goldpact Paladin/Fury Druid idea.

I think I'm actually going through with Paladin/Fury. I don't think much in the game can beat turning into a golden thunderstorm that shoots out flaming thunderbolts. Once that runs out, I'll just pull out a firebrand. Maybe drop down a blight to start the
fight. Most importantly, late game sacred immolation + relentless storm sounds sick.

It'll end up being a somewhat awkward switch hitter build I think, but I really like it thematically. It also follows nicely, since my paladin was throwing out a lot of fire spells from items in the first game.

Edit: Just realized "golden thunderstorm" is dangerously close to "golden showers". Hmm.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 5, 2018

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Here's a link to images of the ability trees and descriptions that somebody posted in the last thread, for those of us who like to obsess and aren't in the beta: https://alyeh.imgur.com/

Dairy Power posted:

Edit: Just realized "golden thunderstorm" is dangerously close to "golden showers". Hmm.

Look out, here comes my (burning, electrified, soul-imbued) piss

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dairy Power posted:

I'm glad you have found a name for your character and the accompanying Steam guide.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
how many people are going to reroll their characters? my death godlike rogue seems pretty lame compared to all the options in the sequel. Probably gonna do a cipher, or a chanter that only chants when he's loaded.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

This game will take 100+ hours to complete. 10 of which will be spent in character creation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hulk Smash! posted:

This game will take 100+ hours to complete. 10 of which will be spent in character creation.

If you're a fake gamer sure

true PoE 2 gamers have already been carefully planning their characters in these past months :smugwizard:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm looking forward to spending 10 hours starting and restarting characters before starting an actual playthrough. Think I'm gonna go with a cold wizard. Or a continuation of my Skaen Priest. Or a greatsword backstab rogue.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 5, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So did Cohh ever recruit Pallegina? If she's inaccessible, I'm curious whether the same is true with Aloth if he joins the Leaden Key?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

So did Cohh ever recruit Pallegina? If she's inaccessible, I'm curious whether the same is true with Aloth if he joins the Leaden Key?

Nope, and I don't think he found Teheku or Maia yet either

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

frajaq posted:

true PoE 2 gamers have already been carefully planning their characters in these past months :smugwizard:
wildrhymer lol I gotta play that poo poo :haw:

I mean, yes, definitely carefully planned everything months ago and refined the build over the beta period instead of throwing poo poo at the wall for fun.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

frajaq posted:

Cohh has stalled on the critical path because he loves side content. He spent about 5 (?) hours in Queen's Berth today and left for Tikawara / Poko Kohara near the end of the stream. :negative:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

frajaq posted:

I think it's kinda funny that the first companions you get in both games are Fighter, Wizard, Priest, but I guess it makes sense from a early balance perspective.

One issue with theorycrafting this early is that we don't really know what endgame equipment looks like, since some of those can enable builds on their own. Like I'm mostly convinced Stormcaller is what made Rangers super good in POE1, since they can stack that poo poo with Scion of the Storm and being able to poo poo out 2 bouncing arrows means a lot of opportunity to proc Returning Storm, which also gets that sweet Scion bonus.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

If you're a fake gamer sure

There is no point in even thinking hard about it, no matter what I am gonna restart about a dozen times before I ever beat the game, assuming I ever manage to beat it.

I think I made it to drowning the monks like a dozen times but only ever beat PoE1 once or twice.

Also Ropekid the slider to kill visual effects on pause rules and now please add a toggle for the environmental effects and the VO.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

rope kid posted:

Cohh has stalled on the critical path because he loves side content. He spent about 5 (?) hours in Queen's Berth today and left for Tikawara / Poko Kohara near the end of the stream. :negative:

That's good, isn't it? Exploring cool side stuff and staying away from the main story seems ideal for a pre-release stream

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

Is that a slight hint on how to make these companions be available? :v:

I'm gonna watch more of Cohh tomorrow anyway and people in the unofficial Discord can always tell me if Maia/Teheku shows up

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Stokes posted:

Is there some sort of official PoE discord server? Also, I'm looking forward to spending 10 hours starting and restarting characters before starting an actual playthrough.

there’s a fan one that a lot of the devs post in, the cultures mainly nsfw images of durance & memes

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is the companion AI improved?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is the companion AI improved?

You can program in if/than statements yourself now if you want.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

how many people are going to reroll their characters? my death godlike rogue seems pretty lame compared to all the options in the sequel. Probably gonna do a cipher, or a chanter that only chants when he's loaded.

I probably am. Went moon godlike chanter in poe1 and while I grew to like chanter eventually I definitely don't feel compelled to play it again. I think chanter will be purely a multi class option for me this time around. Still not sure what to play though...

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

I'm gonna stay the same. It's possible, but unlikely, that I pick up a multiclass. Definitely not changing race or background or anything like that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I've been eyeing dual wielding monk/rogue or monk/cipher, but that's because I'm anime trash.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mymla posted:

I'm gonna stay the same. It's possible, but unlikely, that I pick up a multiclass. Definitely not changing race or background or anything like that.

My dude's a Rogue Explorer from Deadfire so probably not going to change it up. I'll probably go Rogue/Fighter.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm thinking just pure monk or some sort of skald or paladin multiclass.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I was an Orlan Ranger in PoE1, probably going with Orlan WyldRhymer in 2 so I can combine my two favorite classes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Clever Spambot posted:

You can program in if/than statements yourself now if you want.

this is good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Probably going to do my Eothan Fighter/Priest just-for-fun Roleplaying run through first and then go for a more serious Skald/Fighter build once PotD gets some tuning.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I do wish you could pick to be a devotee of a god as a non-priest.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Hm. I wonder how a Fury/Chanter would do. poo poo out lightning whilst chanting lightning songs and stuff. Hm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hulk Smash! posted:

Oh my dude

Once you incorporate all the scripting your abilities will need in the AI

It's so many more hours than that

I have 169 hours in the Deadfire beta and like half of that is character creation

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have 169 hours in the Deadfire beta

what the gently caress

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

what the gently caress

I'm a fan of meticulous testing

Also, sometimes I forget to exit out of steam

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The first 20 were probably sitting in silent despair after seeing Cipher casting times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

monk/cipher, but that's because I'm anime trash.

Excuse me, but Kung-fu movies have first dibs on monk/cipher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r1_ZJ_-i14

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello new thread are ciphers still the best?

Yes, yes they are.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

rope kid posted:

Oh, yeah, speaking of Cohh's stream. I noticed Eder said he joined the Night Market in Deadfire, but at the end of POE1 he became mayor of Dyrford in the slides. Did it read his save incorrectly, or does he always join the Night Market regardless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Hello new thread are ciphers still the best?

Cipher 8 and 9 abilities seem pretty underwhelming, and the big thing that put them at an advantage over other spellcasters (i.e., being non-Vancian) is also no longer an issue, and if anything, they may now be at a disadvantage compared to the other caster classes.

On the other hand, you can dual wield blunderbusses now.