Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

yeah i only played the first one but it was a brutal experience losing like half of my crowd of refugees and barely making it through the end

then i played it a second time knowing all the results of the gotcha CYOA stuff and got to the end full health, losing almost no one, etc

All I remember from the first one is a part where you're in a city, and you have the option to wait for...someone to come back or something? I forget what you're waiting for, but every day you wait, your supplies dwindle, and I waited until about half my food was gone before deciding "hmm, guess he isn't coming back" and taking off. I never looked up the spoiler for that, but it'd be funny if that part is designed so that the event you're waiting for never happens and it's just a test to see how much supply the player wastes before figuring out that the event's never going to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hot balls, the Pale Elves have thick Icelandic accents and speak some kind of fantasy Norse language.

I'm five minutes in and this DLC is already 10/10.

E: Oh man, I just found Vatnir and he's exactly as amazing as I'd hoped. Hello my new permanent party member.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2018

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Beast of Winter is out!

Also Deck of Many Things Free DLC is out too, you have to download that separately - https://store.steampowered.com/app/560130/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The text of the update has new information about a variety of topics: http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-update-53---beast-of-winter-launch-day

Physical things start going out next week in NA/SA/Oceania and there will be a weekly update on Monday’s about the status everywhere else, presumably where that one distributor went bankrupt.

Also a content timeline which is kinda cool. Mega Bosses!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Sooo is the DLC like end-game level or does it start lower?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Count Uvula posted:

Sooo is the DLC like end-game level or does it start lower?

14-16 I think they said.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Anno posted:

The text of the update has new information about a variety of topics: http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-update-53---beast-of-winter-launch-day

Physical things start going out next week in NA/SA/Oceania and there will be a weekly update on Monday’s about the status everywhere else, presumably where that one distributor went bankrupt.

Also a content timeline which is kinda cool. Mega Bosses!

Oh poo poo yeah

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Click here to see charming nerds talk about how much they liked working together on the DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JFkm8uyFEM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cool now that the first DLC is out maybe I'll start a new save and stick with a character for more than like six hours :smith:

I still keep constantly changing my mind on party builds - I finally had a run I liked going but it's using a lot of mods so the load times are terrible

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
DId we fix the issue with the guns going into an infinite reload-loop? That killed my last playthrough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

Cool now that the first DLC is out maybe I'll start a new save and stick with a character for more than like six hours :smith:

I still keep constantly changing my mind on party builds - I finally had a run I liked going but it's using a lot of mods so the load times are terrible

Delete a bunch of your old saves or move them to a different folder. Unity has a bug that makes save/load times increase as you build up more savegames. (New Battletech game has same issue).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Anno posted:

14-16 I think they said.

Yeah, my current party is all level 13 so I need to figure out what one more thing I do is first.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The DLC content can be accessed without starting a new game, right?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Scorchy posted:

Oh poo poo yeah

wtf, where is the fassina romance add-on?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

wtf, where is the fassina romance add-on?

That's "The Forgotten Sanctum." Ydwin Romance is Beast of Winter

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Oh poo poo yeah

Fuckin hell yes Mega Bosses.

But Steam Workshop support coming up is insanely good.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on Magran’s Fires. :getin:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on Magran’s Fires. :getin:

So far they seem pretty cool but I've gotten so used to the improved AI conditionals mod and the timesaver blessings (extra gold, etc) that it's really hard to revert to base game play. If the best convenience / UI mods get adopted into the base game then I can see a lot of replay value there.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Scorchy posted:

Oh poo poo yeah

Sweet to see all the post release support on top of the DLC! Also the Godhammer area shown in the video looks really cool.

I'll probably wait until all the DLC have been released and get the season pass then, I should be ready and hungry for another play through by then.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

what kind of goodies can be found on this new merchant dlc?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Does anyone have thoughts on a Priest of Bertath (for spiritual weapon early and minor avatar later on) multiclass Ed with a great sword devoted?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Scorchy posted:

Oh poo poo yeah

This rules

Hearing Rowena from Supernatural say MEGA BOSSES in my head

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Hey thread!

I'm back from a long hiatus because ~~gently caress my life~~ but I picked up my first playthrough just on time to fit Beast of Winter right into it, it seems. Hadn't played since release, only heard about difficulty "tuning" but so far hard mode just seems... easier somehow? I'm just steam rolling everything. Didn't feel that way at release. What's up with that?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Furism posted:

Hey thread!

I'm back from a long hiatus because ~~gently caress my life~~ but I picked up my first playthrough just on time to fit Beast of Winter right into it, it seems. Hadn't played since release, only heard about difficulty "tuning" but so far hard mode just seems... easier somehow? I'm just steam rolling everything. Didn't feel that way at release. What's up with that?

Are you playing a monk?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Are you playing a monk?

No, just a Figther/Barbarian with base companions - Eder, Xoti, Serafen, Pallegina. I have a pretty good understanding of the games mechanics, so people have The Right Equipment and stuff, but for most fights I don't even have to bother checking the Afflictions they get. I guess I should wrap this up and move to a PotD run.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are you in the high teens level wise? The game's definitely harder, and a lot of the OP stuff was actually nerfed, but since upscalling is capped you'll still out-level a lot of content eventually.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Have they fixed the issue that was causing this game to be way more taxing on CPUs than it was supposed to, or is that forthcoming? Considering reinstalling for the DLC but if this is still gonna light up my CPU more than any other game I own, I might wait until the weather cools down a little (I don't even know if that really makes a difference but for my own sanity, I don't like seeing the numbers go so high)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ainsley McTree posted:

Have they fixed the issue that was causing this game to be way more taxing on CPUs than it was supposed to, or is that forthcoming? Considering reinstalling for the DLC but if this is still gonna light up my CPU more than any other game I own, I might wait until the weather cools down a little (I don't even know if that really makes a difference but for my own sanity, I don't like seeing the numbers go so high)

It appears they have not :( I can only presume it will be fixed in the next patch because they know the exact cause of it due to that one modder and it's kind of a big issue.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I can't find anything about this bug with google. Anyone have a link to more info?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are AI scripts not working atm? NM was using an old one that turned off the early abilities.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 2, 2018

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a list of stuff you miss out on by using a generated PoE1 history? I had planned to finish my replay of the first game before the DLC dropped, but welp.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Count Uvula posted:

It appears they have not :( I can only presume it will be fixed in the next patch because they know the exact cause of it due to that one modder and it's kind of a big issue.
The problem is in Unity's C++ code, which we do not have access to.

The magnitude of the problem was grossly exaggerated due to the modder overlooking the impact that a piece of 3rd party software was having on performance. He apologized after he realized what was going on.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't even know if that really makes a difference but for my own sanity, I don't like seeing the numbers go so high

You can force a lower power CPU speed/state by creating a custom windows power plan and editing the advanced settings.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hey neat, the latest nvidia drivers fixed the weather stealing some FPS. Light sources can still get a bit crazy taxing though but those rooms are rare thankfully and it's mostly an issue when two wizards decide to cast wall spells.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

rope kid posted:

The problem is in Unity's C++ code, which we do not have access to.

The magnitude of the problem was grossly exaggerated due to the modder overlooking the impact that a piece of 3rd party software was having on performance. He apologized after he realized what was going on.

Aw, I guess it was too much to hope for the high cpu usage being a simple oversight. The game does have performance issues for me in a way no other games I own do, so hearing that somebody else's performance issues were their own fault isn't particularly comforting. I still love the game and it doesn't ruin the experience, I just wish it did run perfectly.

Crowetron posted:

Is there a list of stuff you miss out on by using a generated PoE1 history? I had planned to finish my replay of the first game before the DLC dropped, but welp.

I don't know of a list off hand but it's all incredibly minor stuff, to the point you're not missing out on anything if you just roll your own history imo.

Rascyc posted:

Hey neat, the latest nvidia drivers fixed the weather stealing some FPS. Light sources can still get a bit crazy taxing though but those rooms are rare thankfully and it's mostly an issue when two wizards decide to cast wall spells.

Huh, I guess I'll update my AMD drivers and see if there's a similar improvement.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, blazed through the main quest in about 5 hours with a level 20 party. Even on veteran, I was definitely too powerful, but it was on a file where I'd set scaling to Critical Path Only, so that's to be expected. The content is on point and there's a lot of ways to deal with everything you encounter, some of which I couldn't access because because I did not understand party skills on that playthrough. I'm looking forward to going through it with a more level-appropriate party with a better skill spread, and also Ydwin and my Pale Elf watcher.

Vatnir is fun, but not as chatty as I'd hoped. I'm gonna do the sidequests I can find, take him through the endgame, and see how much that is affected by the events of Beast of Winter.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Bought the season pass with my Fig pledge. How do I DLC?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Same way you got the game originally: go to your backer page on Obsidian's website, find the season pass, and generate a key for whatever service you got the game from. On Steam, you just need to activate your pass and it'll install Beast of Winter automatically.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ah yep, found it. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How do I access Magran's Fires? I'm not seeing any extra challenge stuff on New Game.

e: NVM. Click on the face at the bottom of the menu

e2: Wait, is there no way to activate both the challenges and Berath's Blessings at the same time?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 3, 2018