Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I've been wondering what ropekid has been up to lately.
I'm Obsidian's studio design director, so I give design feedback on all of Obsidian's games. I also am directing my own small project that I can't talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ziggy Hero!
Ziggy! Save! Everyone!

rope kid posted:

I'm Obsidian's studio design director, so I give design feedback on all of Obsidian's games. I also am directing my own small project that I can't talk about.

How's the road trip going?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's done. I just drove up to Oregon for the weekend, did an overnight bike tour on the Aufderheide Scenic Byway, and came back home.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sounds like a pretty clear signal to start speculating on what will show up in the Cascadia Wasteland

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

So that's how forests look in North America. Now I understand why early FPS games had forests that are just a painted wall.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

The man was stunningly well dressed. He had a smart looking jacket, and a really neat looking cape, the lining of which was shimmering and sparkling in more than Oriental splendour, which is a great deal of splendour indeed, just ask Kipling.

rope kid posted:

Is it FY:SMD?

How are u
May 19, 2005

Maybe it's a cycling game? Obsidian makes a bold move into the sports game genre.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

v1ld posted:

They're not using 5e from what I read, too expensive to license I assume. So they've done their own take on classes alomg with other stuff.

They are absolutely using 5e, they just have access to trimmed down version of it through the SRD, so they can't use some character options and the lore. From what I've heard, their new options are better than what's present in the Player's Handbook anyway, but the ruleset is absolutely 5e.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Finally sat down and finished all the deadfire DLC. It makes me realize how hungry I am for more Pillars of Eternity content. It's been a long while since I've really found an RPG universe and characters I'm actually invested in.

I'm hoping Avowed does well enough that one day we have an entire Eora-spanning epic finale.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

rope kid posted:

Maybe you can sing about it, have you tried that?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They are absolutely using 5e, they just have access to trimmed down version of it through the SRD, so they can't use some character options and the lore. From what I've heard, their new options are better than what's present in the Player's Handbook anyway, but the ruleset is absolutely 5e.

I can at least understand using tabletop system hostile to videogaming if it is prepackaged with world, lore and at least somewhat balanced content. I don't get why would you only import all the confusing stuff designed around using physical dice.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

gently caress off Batman posted:

Maybe you can sing about it, have you tried that?

Actually genuinely curious why ropekid has Fischer-dieskau as his avatar

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

rope kid posted:

It's done. I just drove up to Oregon for the weekend, did an overnight bike tour on the Aufderheide Scenic Byway, and came back home.

that's a great setup on that bike. Did that frame-pump come with it? love the color.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

zenguitarman posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember him mentioning somewhere that his first major in college was music.

I've always wanted to do bike camping. It seems hella neat to me, and seeing bikes loaded up like that is super cool. I just never got around to it, because I'm lame. I don't even have an excuse, because I have friends that do it who live like an hour's drive away. Well, I guess my excuse is that I don't own any of the kit, including a more appropriate bike, and it'd be a fair bit of money to get it.

I can't decide between a beguiler/trickster and a troubadour/trickster. I freaking love cipher's mind blades*, but I do not love that cipher stolen-buffs go away when the target you stole them from dies. That's annoying and dumb. Chanters are neat too, I love bards and bard-a-likes. Chanters bring more party utility, which is a plus, and their buffs don't fade when a target dies. But they're probably not as good from a debuff/control perspective, and they don't get mind blades. I could also go soul blade instead of beguiler for cipher, but soul blades just don't seem that great. Plus I plan on using a gun at least some of the time.

* I modded it so a multiclass cipher can get it at tier 7, and also modded it to be self-targetable. Mind blades makes me a little sad that they don't have any kind of weapon tag, so you don't get any benefit from stuff that buffs daggers or whatever, and they're not actually very good as weapons. Especially compared to wizard summoned weapons which are STRONK. I suppose I could try modding that too, but adding a weapon type to a summoned weapon is definitely very uncharted territory for my incredibly rudimentary, hacked-together modding skills. I might also see if I can change their color, because why not

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 24, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve discovered that the “auto-level companions” is doubly a trap: besides the ability selections not being particularly optimal, it may sometimes even give you fewer abilities overall.

For example, Priests normally get the ability on the far-left of the tree for free as they increase in Power Level... But not Xoti, if she’s auto-levelled. She spends points to get those. I just tested her auto-level selections by manually increasing my level by one and repeatedly recruiting her, and recording what she picks.

So a Xoti who auto-levelled all the way to 20 will have 28 ability points spent... versus the 37 a fully player-directed Xoti gets.

I also checked with Edér, using the same level-up-by-one method, and as a Fighter he only spends 1 point at level 16 when he should have 2 to spend... As a Rogue, weirdly enough he gets 3 at level 11 but none at level 12 (so it evens out, I guess)... And as a Swashbuckler, at level 6, he picks a Power Level 3 ability when he only should only have access to Power Level 2. Just goofy stuff all around.

Anyway, my personal project of recording how the game auto-levels your guys is cancelled because after seeing what it does to Xoti, it’s pretty unusable.

edit:
Here's a lovely, homegrown Xoti versus a soulless, auto-levelled Xoti at level 20:

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 24, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That might be intentional. The kind of player who doesn’t want to gently caress with manually leveling tons of characters might also not care to have to deal with that many abilities.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe, but then they could’ve just put the missing points into passive abilities.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I'm certain it's a bug, but I guess few enough people autolevelled their character that it was never caught

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://www.twitch.tv/jesawyer

rope kid's doing a donation stream playing New Vegas, if you guys haven't heard

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I’ve been away from the game for a long time but getting back into it. Part of why I drifted away is that the character concept I had was for a cipher/wizard, but generally the advice was that this probably wouldn’t be that great because of the anti-synergy of casting spells vs trying to build resources with physical attacks. Since I came back, I see there is a new Psion subclass which seems like it might solve this problem for me?

I’ve been looking around for build guides or advice but it seems like most of that was created in 2018. So wondering if the thread has insights to share.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Psion would work better with a wizard for sure, since both classes basically don't want to get hit. Focus gain is slow on a psion though, which is too off-putting for me to have tried one as of yet

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zenguitarman posted:

I originally went to the Lawrence University Conservatory of Music for vocal performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve been away from the game for a long time but getting back into it. Part of why I drifted away is that the character concept I had was for a cipher/wizard, but generally the advice was that this probably wouldn’t be that great because of the anti-synergy of casting spells vs trying to build resources with physical attacks. Since I came back, I see there is a new Psion subclass which seems like it might solve this problem for me?

I’ve been looking around for build guides or advice but it seems like most of that was created in 2018. So wondering if the thread has insights to share.

I don't know if you care for mods or not but this one seemed to be the same concept as psion, but the gain was much faster. I only tested in turn-based but Psion always had 6 focus per round while this one scaled up, I was getting 20 per round on single class cipher at level 12.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/98

So try that if you think the focus regen on psion is too slow.