Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember in KOTOR 2 sometimes trying to use Force Persuade would just make things worse, like with Atton since it convinces him you're just like Kreia.

Anyway, last time I complained about Persuade = I Win bullshit, I was told to try the Shadowrun video games that came out a few years ago now. I never did but I'm assured their dialogue and persuasion stuff is a lot more involved than just having Speech 100 and then you win everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is pretty much that

you have very solid writing as you win everything and theres like 5 speech skills in disguise but yeah

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shadowrun games are built a bit differently, as speech backgrounds are very specific and bespoke and most any character that’s not a shaman (the Shadowrun mechanics are infamously strange) only gets one or two of them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

2house2fly posted:

I don't think you can loot it there, it's a quest reward for the task about a missing little girl or you can get it from a stronghold event

I was 99% sure you can loot it in that little water hole in the ground in Caryon's Scar (when you're inside the asteroid), the one that spawns murlocs, but I probably remember wrong.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One thing you do get in the dungeon (well, the exterior) is a ring of +4 Con, they for sure decided to be a bit kind with that

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I literally finished WM2 for the first time this morning, and it sounds like not advancing the main plot / doing Devil's companion quest might have locked me out of an outcome? I decided to restore Abydon on the basis of already beating Ondra in a rhetorical argument and wanting to rub it in (the Philosopher background is so fun, god drat).

I also managed to forget how you get the best end to the Blood Legacy quest before I did it. :(

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

2house2fly posted:

One thing you do get in the dungeon (well, the exterior) is a ring of +4 Con, they for sure decided to be a bit kind with that

Yeah I mean, it's not difficult to avoid this. I just don't like that you can straight up Game Over here but that's just like my opinion, man.

Also I somehow managed to get Sagani's bad ending and now I'm sad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

netcat posted:

Yeah I mean, it's not difficult to avoid this. I just don't like that you can straight up Game Over here but that's just like my opinion, man.

Also I somehow managed to get Sagani's bad ending and now I'm sad.

Don't make her have a crisis of faith about the importance of her family, you jerk.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons this thread is huge but I’m thinking about picking this up and had a few questions.

1. Can you get away with playing this having not played the first? These are long rear end games, and I’m not into RTWP and also have lovely eyes so the lack of voice acting in the first put me right off it. But am I gonna need to get a summary to know what’s up in 2?

2. Piggybacking on that, I’m going to play on console. Yeah yeah I know. So has anyone tried it there and is the controller support okay? Does it have micro font like a lot of games on console seem to these days?

3. I know they put a turn-based mode in. And I guess it fundamentally changed a lot in terms of balance. Ovviously CC is king in turn-based systems, anything else I’d want to know when building out characters?

Any other general poo poo someone ought to know going into the game fresh? TIA.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons this thread is huge but I’m thinking about picking this up and had a few questions.

1. Can you get away with playing this having not played the first? These are long rear end games, and I’m not into RTWP and also have lovely eyes so the lack of voice acting in the first put me right off it. But am I gonna need to get a summary to know what’s up in 2?

2. Piggybacking on that, I’m going to play on console. Yeah yeah I know. So has anyone tried it there and is the controller support okay? Does it have micro font like a lot of games on console seem to these days?

3. I know they put a turn-based mode in. And I guess it fundamentally changed a lot in terms of balance. Ovviously CC is king in turn-based systems, anything else I’d want to know when building out characters?

1) You don't have to play the first. The intro video plus character creation section of Poe2 will summarize the plot of the first game for you.

2) No experience with the console version, sorry.

3) I think the main thing is Poe2 was originally designed with RTWP in mind so the turn based mode (while good) does have some things to deal with. One of the bigger issues some players cite is how long the combats take. There is a 50% hit point mod for enemies that some turn based players recommend. I don't recall where to find it, but I am sure there is a link to it somewhere on the Obsidian forums if you search. Or maybe someone in this thread has it. I prefer the rtwp mode so haven't played around with turn based much in Poe2.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

BurningBeard posted:

1) The first sets up a lot of the world and there's a giant twist at the end, and then Deadfire is more of the payoff. You can also import your character file directly into the second and it'll include your choices. That said, Deadfire summarizes the first game like twice in the first 5 minutes, so you should be ok. Read a wiki synopsis to fill in more of the details.

2) Haven't played console, but I think the consensus out there is generally:

- Controller support surprisingly good
- PS4/XB1 - Fine but awful load times
- PS5/XBSX - Fine and no load times
- Switch - Busted

3) Just understand the TB mode was a post-launch passion project for some team members that got added a year after, and that RTWP was the original design. I understand attack speed is very much de-prioritized and some encounters just take too long because of TB. On PC there's a mod to halve everyone's HPs to make combat go faster, but I guess on consoles it's not an option.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you have an Xbox it might be worth springing for a month of gamepass, Deadfire is on there and you can test it out. From what I've seen people say about the console version, it's pretty good but has terrible load times. I think a next-gen console might alleviate that? I'm not sure how all that works

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If you're determined to play Turn Based and on the Console then enjoy your 45 minute combats fighting 8 bandits or whatever. Yikes.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
This is why you should play the PC version and console command the Turn Based mode off for trash fights, then back on for legit ones.

I really really like the TB mode.

BurningBeard posted:

Read the plot summary as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillars_of_Eternity

General stuff off the top of my head -
-Spellcasters tend to be better at crowd control/buffs/debuffs than direct damage, but it varies based on which one in particular
-I wouldn't recommend multiclassing for a first time player. There's a lot of weird class interactions that might be overwhelming. If you do, make sure they're both melee/non magic classes as they're a bit simpler in terms of abilities and whatnot
-Difficulty is set when you log onto a map, changing it in the middle won't do anything for a tough fight. Make lots of saves BEFORE you go to an area rather than when you first arrive in case things kick your rear end
-There is some scaling in this game but several places/quests might be too high for you. You'll see a strike-through with skulls (potentially red ones), if you see those that means unless you're down for a rough fight you should head elsewhere. Quests are marked with these as well to let you know what to expect with enemies
-NPCs are around you can recruit to (wo)man your ship. Be on the lookout for them
-Speaking of ships, level up your companions who aren't in your main party regularly. Why? Because when you get into ship-to-ship combat ALL of your crew will join you in the battle. If they're low level they will not be very useful
-Ship combat: just skip straight to boarding and don't bother with anything else. Obsidian tried to make it cool and drat they failed completely.
-Get to know all of the 4 main factions of the game a bit. The Point of No Return for each is quite far along.
-Be careful who you bring to see each faction's NPCs. If you bring a companion who hates the Vailian Trading Company to meet with VTC folks, they will poo poo talk them right in front of you and the faction NPCs might get mad at you for bringing that rear end in a top hat along.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun!

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 25, 2021

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DourCricket posted:

-Ship combat: just skip straight to boarding and don't bother with anything else. Obsidian tried to make it cool and drat they failed completely.
As much as that is mostly true, there is something satisfying in just wrecking the other boat without getting anywhere near them. Especially now that I'm sailing a 10 cannons monstrosity, there is just something so satisfying about hearing the sound of the enemy hull breaking. I just need to find more Vailian Hullbreakers so that the slavers don't get a chance to board.

I just had something funny happen : I did the Ancient Coal Mine fight from the Mapping the Archipelago questline and something not intuitive happened with the powder kegs stacked in the southern passage to the enemy band : Eder using Charge on an enemy on the other side didn't damage the barrels, but my MC's animal companion answering Furious Call ploughed through and broke pretty much every barrel in its path (allowing Tekehu and Serafen to go through the wreckage ; Xoti had already Leaped over them thanks to some boots). I know that's because Charge doesn't actually do damage to the people in the way, but it's funny when it apparently ignores inert objects in the way.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

How are u posted:

If you're determined to play Turn Based and on the Console then enjoy your 45 minute combats fighting 8 bandits or whatever. Yikes.

Well I don’t have a decent PC so I don’t have a choice. And TB is necessary due to afrementioned lovely eyesight so.

Thanks for the info folks. As much as I want to play this, the font size is going to make it a no-go. Just too tiny for me to read comfortably. Devs really need to consider accessibility in their interface design. It’s gotten mildly better, but by and large if you’re playing on a console these days expect eye strain as a matter of course. Really frustrating because I wanted to get into a party-based RPG. But all the info is appreciated. Maybe I can rope a buddy into this, but that’s a lot of poo poo to ask someone to read as a copilot.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure font size is adjustable in the options.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DourCricket posted:

This is why you should play the PC version and console command the Turn Based mode off for trash fights, then back on for legit ones.

I really really like the TB mode.

Read the plot summary as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillars_of_Eternity

General stuff off the top of my head -
-Spellcasters tend to be better at crowd control/buffs/debuffs than direct damage, but it varies based on which one in particular
-I wouldn't recommend multiclassing for a first time player. There's a lot of weird class interactions that might be overwhelming. If you do, make sure they're both melee/non magic classes as they're a bit simpler in terms of abilities and whatnot
-Difficulty is set when you log onto a map, changing it in the middle won't do anything for a tough fight. Make lots of saves BEFORE you go to an area rather than when you first arrive in case things kick your rear end
-There is some scaling in this game but several places/quests might be too high for you. You'll see a strike-through with skulls (potentially red ones), if you see those that means unless you're down for a rough fight you should head elsewhere. Quests are marked with these as well to let you know what to expect with enemies
-NPCs are around you can recruit to (wo)man your ship. Be on the lookout for them
-Speaking of ships, level up your companions who aren't in your main party regularly. Why? Because when you get into ship-to-ship combat ALL of your crew will join you in the battle. If they're low level they will not be very useful
-Get to know all of the 4 main factions of the game a bit. The Point of No Return for each is quite far along.
-Be careful who you bring to see each faction's NPCs. If you bring a companion who hates the Vailian Trading Company to meet with VTC folks, they will poo poo talk them right in front of you and the faction NPCs might get mad at you for bringing that rear end in a top hat along.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun!

Adding to the spellcaster stuff, for what it's worth if you are boring like me and don't like to get bogged down in things like "tactics" and "variety", I found the basic missile spells to be perfectly adequate to carry a damage dealing caster through the whole game.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Well I don’t have a decent PC so I don’t have a choice. And TB is necessary due to afrementioned lovely eyesight so.

Thanks for the info folks. As much as I want to play this, the font size is going to make it a no-go. Just too tiny for me to read comfortably. Devs really need to consider accessibility in their interface design. It’s gotten mildly better, but by and large if you’re playing on a console these days expect eye strain as a matter of course. Really frustrating because I wanted to get into a party-based RPG. But all the info is appreciated. Maybe I can rope a buddy into this, but that’s a lot of poo poo to ask someone to read as a copilot.

Not sure if it's in the same place on consoles but under the option menu->Graphics there's a slider for font size.

Also, if it helps all character dialogue is voice acted in Deadfire. Only some flavor text and things like lore books are not.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 25, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In terms of difficulty, if you are unsure how hard you want it, start at a lower level and bump it up if things are too easy, (there's some early poo poo that can wreck you if you're unprepared and on too hard a difficulty) but after bumping it up make sure you have a save before entering any particular area in case you overestimated your abilities.

Also (with some exceptions) you can usually back out of a dungeon and do other poo poo then come back at a higher level.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

BurningBeard posted:

Devs really need to consider accessibility in their interface design.

You mean like having a color-blind mode?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I need to say this occasionally because it keeps getting forgotten/overlooked: Obsidian did not develop the console ports of Pillars of Eternity or Deadfire. We do have font scaling, but we did not develop the games to play on consoles. That was done by other companies after the fact.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember when the Xbox 360/PS3 generation started, HDTVs weren't the default yet and people who played on CRTs had a hard time reading text in some games because they were designed for like double the resolution. Dark times...

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

rope kid posted:

I need to say this occasionally because it keeps getting forgotten/overlooked: Obsidian did not develop the console ports of Pillars of Eternity or Deadfire. We do have font scaling, but we did not develop the games to play on consoles. That was done by other companies after the fact.

Oh yeah definitely don’t intend to throw any shade. Things are getting better and y’all are some of my favorite developers. F:NV is pretty much my favorite game of all time. It’s getting better, but font size is the minimum. There’s so much more that can be done. Unfortunately this is something that’s best designed for in early-stage development, rather than being retrofitted. That’s a shitload of work, and by the time anyone finds out, it’s like patching holes in a sinking ship.

Glad to know there’s scaling, but without a way to test it, I don’t want to drop dough. Sony’s refund policy is... well... just look at Cyberpunk if you want to know how that’ll work out.

Furism posted:

You mean like having a color-blind mode?

No.

Anyway sorry for the derail.

VVV Thanks. Can’t make this out on my phone atm but will try to put it onscreen where I can check it out. Much appreciated.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 25, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I found a gameplay vid on youtube where they go through the options, there is a text size slider on PS4:

I don't know for sure, but probably the PS4 version runs at 1080p, so it probably looks a lot like these screenshots I took on PC:

Text scale 120%

Text scale 130% (max)

If the last screenshot looks good then you'd probably be fine with the text on PS4. Sorry this isn't exactly hands-on experience, but hopefully it's useful

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BurningBeard posted:

Turn based mode is absolutely loving fine mate, especially if it's the only mode you've played. People are comparing it to "I gave my entire party 90 dex in real time mode and all combats end in four point two six seconds" as a baseline :v:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Hello folks

Couple of things I wanted to post about

1.) What's up with the armor / pen deadzones in Deadfire - and is there any mod that addresses them?

Let me explain if people aren't already versed

In Deadfire, penetration does nothing once it matches the armor rating until you hit overpen.

Additionally, extra armor does nothing until you hit underpen - this creates massive deadzones where additional armor points often do nothing at all once you've made sure you aren't taking bonus damage.

Josh went on this big thing about deadzones in one of his talks so I was bummed that this made it in.

2.) Are there any good balance mods in terms of skills and spells that you guys recommend?

I found a lot of spells suffered badly in translation from PoE1 to PoE2 - not only in the way Priests have to 'buy' spells with level up points, which sucks for edge case utility spells, but also because a lot of spells just aren't worth using your extremely limited per combat casts on anymore (whereas before with the rest system you could justify it)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, I talked about dead zones in a talk about attributes which imo is not really comparable to the Penetration/AR system where the value of Penetration is always relative to the AR you're targeting. Penetration isn't an irrevocable character creation stat that you set and live with for the next 30+ hours.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
My memory is spotty, did priests lose most of the <level> recovery spell between PoE and Deadfire ? Or did they never have them ?

If yes, was that decision made because their role as buffing machines didn't really gel with a role as reactionary as healing machines, thus wanting to avoid having gamers forego buffs so as to keep resources for healing ?

Unrelated, but priests having access to all of their spells in PoE kinda showed why their schtick of having access to every spell didn't really work if you removed the Vancian Casting. In D&D video games, Favored Souls needed to choose their spells at level up too.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

rope kid posted:

Yes, I talked about dead zones in a talk about attributes which imo is not really comparable to the Penetration/AR system where the value of Penetration is always relative to the AR you're targeting. Penetration isn't an irrevocable character creation stat that you set and live with for the next 30+ hours.

Yes but it's pretty unintuitive to have +1 armor on gear or whatever not actually do anything at all, or +1 pen for that matter - and this was pretty often the case due to those dead zones

Just seemed odd to go that way when the first game at least provided linear DR, and your talk about dead zones was so persuasive

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

X_Toad posted:

My memory is spotty, did priests lose most of the <level> recovery spell between PoE and Deadfire ? Or did they never have them ?

They lost most of them. I assume it was to counteract spell bloat/trap choices, because the benefit of later Priest spells like Devotions vastly, vastly outweighs a spell that restores a modest amount more HP than your level 1 heal.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

Hello folks

Couple of things I wanted to post about

1.) What's up with the armor / pen deadzones in Deadfire - and is there any mod that addresses them?

Let me explain if people aren't already versed

In Deadfire, penetration does nothing once it matches the armor rating until you hit overpen.

Additionally, extra armor does nothing until you hit underpen - this creates massive deadzones where additional armor points often do nothing at all once you've made sure you aren't taking bonus damage.

Josh went on this big thing about deadzones in one of his talks so I was bummed that this made it in.

2.) Are there any good balance mods in terms of skills and spells that you guys recommend?

I found a lot of spells suffered badly in translation from PoE1 to PoE2 - not only in the way Priests have to 'buy' spells with level up points, which sucks for edge case utility spells, but also because a lot of spells just aren't worth using your extremely limited per combat casts on anymore (whereas before with the rest system you could justify it)

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/438?tab=description
This is a balance mod I've used that I thought was pretty good, especially the stuff about summons. Give the changelog a quick once-over and see if you agree, I saw it and thought 'yeah this are abilities I never really used but I probably would for one less zeal'.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/81
Here's another one that is a bit more nebulous but may still interest you depending on how you feel about swords. Changes a number of unique weapons from types that already have a lot (swords, sabres, greatswords) to other types. Felt like I had a bit better variety in utilizing different modals and such.

As far as armor goes, I haven't seen any mods doing large scale tweaks to armor.

EDIT: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/24
My prefrence with all 3 deadfire dlcs included is to do a slight reduction to exp gain so your levels are more spread out rather than hitting 20 earlier and still having some game to go.

I also use arquebus deals best of pierce/blunt and a mod to let multiclass get a small number of max tier abilties. Personal preference there.
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/175
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/194

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 26, 2021

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Captainicus posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/438?tab=description
This is a balance mod I've used that I thought was pretty good, especially the stuff about summons. Give the changelog a quick once-over and see if you agree, I saw it and thought 'yeah this are abilities I never really used but I probably would for one less zeal'.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/81
Here's another one that is a bit more nebulous but may still interest you depending on how you feel about swords. Changes a number of unique weapons from types that already have a lot (swords, sabres, greatswords) to other types. Felt like I had a bit better variety in utilizing different modals and such.

As far as armor goes, I haven't seen any mods doing large scale tweaks to armor.

EDIT: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/24
My prefrence with all 3 deadfire dlcs included is to do a slight reduction to exp gain so your levels are more spread out rather than hitting 20 earlier and still having some game to go.

I also use arquebus deals best of pierce/blunt and a mod to let multiclass get a small number of max tier abilties. Personal preference there.
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/175
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/194

That is exactly the kind of stuff I was interested in - I love grogging the game on hard difficulty but wasn't really happy with the brilliance-or-bust and ability balance

There was a guy on the forums a while back that was talking about doing something with armor pen and armor, introducing a linear progression on pen/armor (leading up to those thresholds) and it looked really promising but I was never able to find it

(basically he just made it so if you had 11 pen and they had 10 armor you got some % increase, rather than just nothing until you hit overpen. same with armor and underpen)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Was over penetration part of the design originally ? Or was it added during the beta after receiving feedback ?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Shadowrun games are built a bit differently, as speech backgrounds are very specific and bespoke and most any character that’s not a shaman (the Shadowrun mechanics are infamously strange) only gets one or two of them.

the checks in Shadowrun don't tend to be "I Win" buttons though. They are sometimes, but usually they just give a small advantage, or extra piece of dialog.

BurningBeard posted:

I played the game on PS4 and I actually quit because the loading times were so bad I couldn't take it and I played it on PC instead. Like, a typical quest looks like this:

1. Go into a house, speak to a quest giver
2. Walk out of the house, go across town
3. Got into another house, fight someone
4. Walk out of house, and go back across town
5. Walk into the house, and hand the quest in

On PC this takes about 3 minutes, if you turn on high speed walking. On a PS4 Pro with a standard HDD it takes 15-20 minutes, it's horrific. If the game's design didn't involve you constantly going through level transitions, then I would have no problem recommending it, unfortunately that's just not the case :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Was over penetration part of the design originally ? Or was it added during the beta after receiving feedback ?

It was in there from when they did the kickstarter; the idea then was that if Pen was less than AR at all you'd do 30% damage, and you'd do 130% if Pen was double AR

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One thing a lot of the weapon modals do is give you some flexibility with your deadzone. By giving a good chunk of melee weapons an effective +2 to penetration basically at will, you have a lot more flexibility in your penetration ranges, especially since a lot of weapons also target multiple AR types.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want a Josh Sawyer talk about DR vs Pen because I still don't understand the switch to Pen.

Let's start a Patreon.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Go look at his Tumbler where he answers questions. There's a bunch on it. Just search for penetration (heh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Furism posted:

I want a Josh Sawyer talk about DR vs Pen because I still don't understand the switch to Pen.

Let's start a Patreon.
Didn't he say on his Twitter that he was going to do one of these in March ?