Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

I had a blast in PoE 1 causing chaos in the enemy ranks and then picking off the bewildered survivors and it sucks that this is gone from PoE II.

One thing I'd like for them to experiment internally with is making it so that Empower automatically upgrades afflictions/inspirations provided by an Empowered ability by one tier. I feel like, at the moment, there's just not enough reason to Empower non-damage spells, given that the better option is almost always to simply Empower yourself and recast the debuff if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Which classes have Resolve and Intelligence inspirations for when you need to counter terror and charm effects, because I really wish I'd had them on hand when I went to vampire island. Still beat it but it was trickier than I like.

I know that fighters can self buff their intelligence if they take the right form of Barrage, but that doesn't help when you're dominated because I can't make them push the button--gotta have that buff up before you get hit.

Priests and Chanters are good at dealing with these. The Fampyr dominate I'm pretty sure is a gaze attack, which I think blinding them prevents them from using?

Also there is food and drugs that make you immune to certain afflictions which comes in handy at times like these.

derra fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 22, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Alternatively, drugs and/or Modwyr.
You can pretty conveniently ignore half of the Affliction system by just keeping a stash of svef around, yeah.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

piano chimp posted:

If you're referring to detonate and disintegrate: good news, these spells don't destroy loot! You can cast empowered disintegrate at will and watch things melt. I used both extensively in my Ascendant/Ghost Heart run and didn't lose anything.

I think the rumour that these spells destroyed loot came from the PoE1 beta but I don't think it's been true for a long time.

Oh cool, I thought Disintegrate was still destroying corpses but maybe i tried it on something which doesn't leave one. I assumed it must because it does so much damage it must have a trade off.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It does destroy the corpse, the loot will just show up where the corpse would be. Always be holding tab.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

albany academy posted:

Always be holding tab.

There's a toggle for highlights.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GrandpaPants posted:

There's a toggle for highlights.

Say what?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In key-bindings, right under the "press to highlight" setting is a "toggle highlights" option. I rebound tab to toggle immediately and forgot that that wasn't the default option until I installed PoE2 and did the same thing also immediately.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Mymla posted:

Xoti has a lvl 1 spell that removes an enemy from existence. It's good.

Two casts of that and a finishing blow removed that last half a health bar of the Giant worm trivialising the fight completely (on veteran). It's real good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone know of a good guide to modding the game? I'm interested in doing a couple of things, ideally with some UI. I'm not afraid to write a custom assembly or similar, but I can't really tell where to start with hooking it in and getting handles to the right resources beyond the gamebundle data blobs.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Buy luminous lobsters every time you see them, they make you immune to half the afflictions in the game. Makes Fampyrs (and every other fight) trivial.

I'm not going to finish my first game. Having a companion leave because I "can't be trusted" with four points in honest and benevolent is just too immersion-breaking. If there is zero difficulty in the game you're relying on story, if that's hosed up mechanically as well....

I'll wait until they get the game to a finished state and start again. Have there been any estimates of when difficulty will actually be sorted and PotD implemented?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could it be she leaves for other reasons regardless and just pulls a disposition as flavor text?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vermain posted:

One thing I'd like for them to experiment internally with is making it so that Empower automatically upgrades afflictions/inspirations provided by an Empowered ability by one tier. I feel like, at the moment, there's just not enough reason to Empower non-damage spells, given that the better option is almost always to simply Empower yourself and recast the debuff if necessary.

This seems like a good idea.

It wouldn't solve the "lack of intelligence inspirations" though.

One perhaps-too-obvious-to-me gap is that it seems like it would make a lot of sense to add an Int inspiration buff to Ciphers. Right now Int inspirations are class-locked behind Chanters (or a few self-buffs for fighters or wizards, which other classes get no benefit from); no other class seems to get party Int inspirations. Ciphers, conversely, have a dearth of useful high level powers, it makes thematic sense for Ciphers to help people think better, and their class resource is enumerated in 100's rather than in 1's, so (on paper at least, this is theorycrafting) it seems they would get the least benefit from "Brilliant" .

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide to modding the game? I'm interested in doing a couple of things, ideally with some UI. I'm not afraid to write a custom assembly or similar, but I can't really tell where to start with hooking it in and getting handles to the right resources beyond the gamebundle data blobs.

I'd start in the modding subforum https://forums.obsidian.net/forum/131-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-modding-spoiler-warning/

(someone please write the mod I requested to add "Ascendant" buff to the AI scripting options)

I might need to start figuring out modding myself, there are a lot of things I'd like to try out (lowering the Pen values of all weapons by 1; changing Defensive Mindweb to only kick from the web if a member is *critically* hit; allowing "Ancestor's Honor" to raise the 1-per-encounter limit on spending empower points; double the duration or halve the casting/recovery time of Mental Binding or both; Make Haunting Chains a large-area AoE.) I never learned to program beyond Commodore Basic or cutting and pasting game mods in Notepad, though, so :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd start in the modding subforum https://forums.obsidian.net/forum/131-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-modding-spoiler-warning/

(someone please write the mod I requested to add "Ascendant" buff to the AI scripting options)

I might need to start figuring out modding myself, there are a lot of things I'd like to try out (lowering the Pen values of all weapons by 1; changing Defensive Mindweb to only kick from the web if a member is *critically* hit; allowing "Ancestor's Honor" to raise the 1-per-encounter limit on spending empower points; double the duration or halve the casting/recovery time of Mental Binding or both; Make Haunting Chains a large-area AoE.)

I've been reading in there, yeah, but it's all just been JSON-bashing and it's not clear how to add any code. Your Ascendant thing is one thing I want to add, though that may be possible with just a gamebundle.

I think some of that stuff should be possible using that dude's editor when it comes out, though some will be more tedious than others.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hey rope kid, bug report: there doesn't appear to be any point in the game where you can ask Tekehu, "Huana gently caress?" Any ETA on a fix?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

Maia: Either of the multiclasses, don't single-class.

gross

the only real option with maia is geomancer

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fighter, like ranger and rogue, is a class that is really boring/maybe bad by itself. But mixed with other classes, hoo boy.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

gross

the only real option with maia is geomancer

Pure as snow Ranger Maia is the only true path

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jokes posted:

Fighter, like ranger and rogue, is a class that is really boring/maybe bad by itself. But mixed with other classes, hoo boy.

Even if you touch nothing else in the class, having on-demand Aware and Constant Recovery is more than worth the price of admission. The fact that it has a bunch of extremely good passive talents is icing on the cake.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

2x Looting BUGS

1. if you charm/dominate/mind control your opponents in combat and then manage to kill them all before the charm wears off (so they still 'look' like friendly green units) you can't loot any of their corpses. i had a raiding party encounter where serafin did the group mind control power and hit all of the other pirates and we killed them all real fast and since they all died as 'allies' their loot piles are on the ground but not interactable. if you're going to use controlling powers, don't end combat until at least 1 enemy has returned to hostile status

2. if you beat another boat in naval combat and you're back to the world map looking at the loot screen, another boat can run right up to you and start another naval combat encounter and all of the loot from the first boat just vanishes. double+ fun if the first boat had a bounty or something important in the loot and you can't click it before another boat blasts up your rear end in a top hat!

also, do cipher powers that deal raw damage or no damage actually have to worry about penetrating enemy armor, or do they just deal damage on hit? i ask because cipher powers that deal a normal damage type (say mind blades) list a Penetration rating in the spell description, but cipher powers that only deal Raw damage (say the psychic scream) or no damage (like mind control) don't list a Penetration rating in the spell description. because ciphers have the passive talent that adds +1 to your spell Penetration, but if raw damage and no damage spells don't check penetration, then that +1 Pen talent has pretty limited usefulness.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vermain posted:

Even if you touch nothing else in the class, having on-demand Aware and Constant Recovery is more than worth the price of admission. The fact that it has a bunch of extremely good passive talents is icing on the cake.

Agreed, the Aware active alone is enough of a reason to grab it. My fighter/ranger is still boring but can use charge to bash her way out of melee, and otherwise basically never misses; I should have given her devoted spec so she'd get +2 pen with the frostseeker, but whatever. A lot of the fighter actives aren't actually for melees, other than knock down

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

2x Looting BUGS

1. if you charm/dominate/mind control your opponents in combat and then manage to kill them all before the charm wears off (so they still 'look' like friendly green units) you can't loot any of their corpses. i had a raiding party encounter where serafin did the group mind control power and hit all of the other pirates and we killed them all real fast and since they all died as 'allies' their loot piles are on the ground but not interactable. if you're going to use controlling powers, don't end combat until at least 1 enemy has returned to hostile status

2. if you beat another boat in naval combat and you're back to the world map looking at the loot screen, another boat can run right up to you and start another naval combat encounter and all of the loot from the first boat just vanishes. double+ fun if the first boat had a bounty or something important in the loot and you can't click it before another boat blasts up your rear end in a top hat!

also, do cipher powers that deal raw damage or no damage actually have to worry about penetrating enemy armor, or do they just deal damage on hit? i ask because cipher powers that deal a normal damage type (say mind blades) list a Penetration rating in the spell description, but cipher powers that only deal Raw damage (say the psychic scream) or no damage (like mind control) don't list a Penetration rating in the spell description. because ciphers have the passive talent that adds +1 to your spell Penetration, but if raw damage and no damage spells don't check penetration, then that +1 Pen talent has pretty limited usefulness.

Raw damage ignores armor, yes, which also means it can't overpen. I'm not fond of it due to this.

You can mess up the Serafen encounter if you click in a merchant ship right when you get the boat as well.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also, do cipher powers that deal raw damage or no damage actually have to worry about penetrating enemy armor, or do they just deal damage on hit?

The point of raw damage is that it ignores armor or resistances and just does what it says on the tin, so no it just deals the listed damage on hit. I suppose this also means it can't benefit from overpenetration bonuses, but welp.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

All fighters really need is some mobility powers earlier on in the process to be awesome. Once you get them to lvl10 they are great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

All fighters really need is some mobility powers earlier on in the process to be awesome. Once you get them to lvl10 they are great.

Go Swash and Escape (never look back!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazHNpt6OTo

derra
Dec 29, 2012

jokes posted:

Agreed, the Aware active alone is enough of a reason to grab it. My fighter/ranger is still boring but can use charge to bash her way out of melee, and otherwise basically never misses; I should have given her devoted spec so she'd get +2 pen with the frostseeker, but whatever. A lot of the fighter actives aren't actually for melees, other than knock down

Have you experimented combining the Blast modals with active abilities by any chance? Evasive Fire?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Does carnage activate off a Monk’s unarmed attacks? I’m having so much trouble picking a combination to actually play for more than 8 hours without getting another idea. I’ve created and played to Neketaka a... Bleakwalker & Ghost Heart, Shattered Pillar & Soulblade, Nalpazca & Rogue, Nalpazca & Barb, Shifter & Nalpazca, and I’m considering a Nalpazca & Bleakwalker to try out just being a melee brute with little mobility flavor :aaaaa:

They all have their own fun mobility / rear end kicking abilities. I just can’t decide which two I want to settle on!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wizard Styles posted:

You can pretty conveniently ignore half of the Affliction system by just keeping a stash of svef around, yeah.

Or they would if Fampyrs didn’t cast Arcane Dampener which is currently treating drugs as spell buffs and stripping them anyway!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

derra posted:

Raw damage ignores armor, yes, which also means it can't overpen. I'm not fond of it due to this.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The point of raw damage is that it ignores armor or resistances and just does what it says on the tin, so no it just deals the listed damage on hit. I suppose this also means it can't benefit from overpenetration bonuses, but welp.

dang so the cipher talent that gives +1 Pen to cipher spells only applies to like 4 or 5 of their spells? that seems like a really lovely trap option in a game that has "no trap options" as a design goal. does it at least apply to non-cipher spells if you dual class and have another spell casting class like wizard or druid? i could see it being slightly less bad for dual class characters if it got added to all your spells.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'd argue it benefits a higher % of Cipher spells than the corresponding Elemental pen talents for other casters, in addition to Ciphers generally having better options to avoid pen issues (other casters are stuck with what they've chosen at a particular level) and earlier access to the talent itself. But yes, if you're going to spam Disintegrate it is not a good talent choice

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Confused by what Sawyer meant exactly about companions being more involved in 1 than 2. Most of them were just like 3 conversations and done. They’re a bit better and longer than 1’s in this but I don’t really get why the sidekicks were deemed too much trouble, especially considering the main thing wrong with Pillars’s writing is overdoing it with text dumps and prose.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

dang so the cipher talent that gives +1 Pen to cipher spells only applies to like 4 or 5 of their spells? that seems like a really lovely trap option in a game that has "no trap options" as a design goal. does it at least apply to non-cipher spells if you dual class and have another spell casting class like wizard or druid? i could see it being slightly less bad for dual class characters if it got added to all your spells.

If it says "cipher spells" specifically, then it probably doesn't apply to spells from multiclassing.

onesixtwo posted:

Does carnage activate off a Monk's unarmed attacks?

Yes. Monk unarmed attacks count as weapon attacks for all talents and abilities. If you go Shattered Pillar Monk, damage from Carnage also contributes to you gaining Wounds. Monk/Barbarian is extremely badass.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SunAndSpring posted:

Confused by what Sawyer meant exactly about companions being more involved in 1 than 2. Most of them were just like 3 conversations and done. They’re a bit better and longer than 1’s in this but I don’t really get why the sidekicks were deemed too much trouble, especially considering the main thing wrong with Pillars’s writing is overdoing it with text dumps and prose.

It's all the inter-reactions. Aloth raising his eyebrow, etc. Each additional new Aloth has to be programmed with reactions to every other extant companion's dialogue tree, and vice versa, so each additional companion increases the total number of reactions (exponentially?)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It’s because of the relationship system - and since it’s kind of broken as is (xoti and pallegina throwing down as soon as they meet), yea I can see why doing it for 4 more dudes might add even more non-trivial amount of complexity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SunAndSpring posted:

They seem a lot more reactive to events happening and interject in conversations a lot more. I also imagine it's also bit of a pain to have to code certain responses to be "Lighthearted" or "Pride" to develop their actual relationships. Like I guess new companions can just use the same set of triggers in the game already, but I imagine they'd need a couple other things to set them apart. Plus full voice acting.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

SunAndSpring posted:

Check out this page, specifically the IsCompanionActiveInParty table. Having to write, proofread and voice an extra ~600-800 lines is pretty daunting when the game is already so massive, and that's just characters chiming in during conversations iirc.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Is there some guide to how to make a character that doesn't suck? I am completely lost in this sea of spells and stats that i don't understand. Also maybe some tips on how to make a party that has some synergies, or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

They're far more involved in conversations now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Killstick posted:

Is there some guide to how to make a character that doesn't suck? I am completely lost in this sea of spells and stats that i don't understand. Also maybe some tips on how to make a party that has some synergies, or something.

You probably want one or two front line "tanks," a healer or "support" character, and one or two backline "artillery" classes. The first three characters you meet in each game (Aloth, Durance, Eder ; Eder, Xoti, Aloth) are designed to fit each of those roles respectively.

First game or second, and what's your PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

It's all the inter-reactions. Aloth raising his eyebrow, etc. Each additional new Aloth has to be programmed with reactions to every other extant companion's dialogue tree, and vice versa, so each additional companion increases the total number of reactions (exponentially?)

Yeah but none of that really adds anything because companion fights are very easy to settle so Aloth getting increasingly mad at Serafen doesn’t do anything, and companions being best friends doesn’t give them bonuses from what I’ve seen. Feel like you could just reduce the instances of Aloth rolling his eyes and just have him react to a few key events of Serafen being a smug rear end.