Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Say what now? That's amazing. Broken and overpowered and kind of stupid, but also amazing.

Just saw a forum post - when a sword gunning fighter/ranger charges the pistol will trigger driving flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Grimoire posted:

Just saw a forum post - when a sword gunning fighter/ranger charges the pistol will trigger driving flight.

Yeah, it turns out cleave's full attack is a full attack gently caress you no matter what you're wielding.

Fighters are hilarious.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Erwin the German posted:

Big apologies if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone else run into a bug with Malnaj ambushing you after you let Remaro go? The fight on the ship just kinda... ends, and nothing else happens until I click to exit the ship screen. No quips from Serafen, nothing. I have a hard time believing this is intentional, and since this seems to be an unavoidable encounter I feel kinda stuck.

yeah, i had this exact same thing happen to me. it's pretty loving weird all of the quirks that boats introduced into the game, because PoE1 never had these kinds of gently caress-ups for me (even at launch). it seems like PoE1 would just hard crash way more often when it was new, whereas PoE2 is stable but the actual scripts in the game seem to fall apart at the slightest provocation

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is taking an upgraded power supposed to still leave you the original too? Pallegina has both lay on hands, lay on hands upgrade, sworn enemy and wrath of the five suns.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Avalerion posted:

Is taking an upgraded power supposed to still leave you the original too? Pallegina has both lay on hands, lay on hands upgrade, sworn enemy and wrath of the five suns.

I think when an upgrade takes more resources to cast than the original, both are available.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think one funny way to exploit the latest cleave cheese would be a fighter/ascendant using the scordeo saber and pistol. The pistol has a stacking reduction to recovery on every shot that people are reporting 1) can reduce recovery to zero and 2) affects all recovery, not just weapons. The idea would be to charge in, drop some mook with the saber to trigger a bunch of shots with the pistol, then cast amplified wave and disintegrate over and over with no recovery time until everything is dead.

ProfessorCirno posted:

"So what does Cipher need?"

So I was thinking about why I find Soul Blade boring, and it boils down to "this is just a real beefy auto attack hit." And I thought about how ciphers were the gunslinger class in Pillars 1, and how people still go for that here in Pillars 2. I say, lean into Ciphers blending mind powers and weapon attacks. Change some of those other attacks into attack+spell. Let me SHOOT my antipathetic field into someone. Instead of just "you can dump your focus into one attack," have Soul Blade change other spells into attack+spell, so I'm stabbing my Mind Blades into my first target (and hey, now I have reason to cast those Shred spells with the discount).

Like yes, obviously, none of this is happening, this is poo poo you do in alpha builds, not post-release. But look, it's still weird to me that the class that was sorta brought in as the "stab AND spellcast" class is only better then the druid at it, maybe. Ciphers got nothing to compare with wizard buffs, and I don't mean this to say that ciphers need to just copy wizards, it's more to point out that ciphers don't really have great native support for mixing it up in melee. I'm down on Soul Blade and cipher in general because that single ability is the only synergy Soul Blade specifically has. Ascendant is doing ciphers right, as far as I'm concerned, in that it's making the class interesting.

And hey, maybe it's a problem with me, and I need to stop trying to put ciphers in melee or make their gun usage unique, they're supposed to stand in the back and spellcast like a (slightly shittier) wizard. Sure. That's a wasted opportunity, if that's the case.

Also, I disagree with the idea that all wizards are going to be doing the same poo poo. There's best spells for different jobs. A fighter/wizard and a pure class Evoker are going to have differences.

Actually, the decision "do I go for soul annihilation, whispers of treason or wait a few seconds for pain block" is interesting and I like soul annihilation as a mechanic. Maybe it could stand to be flashier, but "do lots of weapon damage or cast spells" consistently imposes interesting decisions on the player that "do weapon damage and cast spells at the same time" would not.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Avalerion posted:

Those examples don't matter but sometimes there's a point to keeping access to the original ability due to cost or interaction with power level. Presumably they haven't gone through everything to prune out the redundant ones.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I would have liked to have kept access to my original Rage ability after upgrading it because it was cheaper and also sometimes I don't want my frenzy barbarian to frost bomb my team with Spirit Storm.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Upgrading Killers Froze Stiff is a trap right now because the upgraded version costs an additional Phrase and you lose the base version.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I discovered that I accidentally didn't turn on level scaling when I started. Is there anything I can edit to retroactively activate it? I want to do all the content but I don't want to roll over everything, and I really don't want to start all over.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Grimoire posted:

This is amazing, but obviously it and cleaving stance will get nerfed because fighters aren't allowed to be fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, it turns out cleave's full attack is a full attack gently caress you no matter what you're wielding.

Fighters are hilarious.

Finally, my dreams of playing John Wick become a reality.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

nevermind, found a cheat mod that also includes the ability to change difficulties that can normally only be changed at launch. Also bumped the difficulty up to Path of the Damned too.

edit: turning on level scaling removes the level indicators, even though I've got it set to only scale upwards. Is that normal, or is it just a consequence of using the mod?

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 24, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Octo1 posted:

This is amazing, but obviously it and cleaving stance will get nerfed because fighters aren't allowed to be fun.

But fighters were fun in PoE I.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: turning on level scaling removes the level indicators, even though I've got it set to only scale upwards. Is that normal, or is it just a consequence of using the mod?

That's normal. Confusing (and I think gonna change?), but normal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cheston posted:

That's normal. Confusing (and I think gonna change?), but normal.

Okay, was just worried I'd screwed something up.

In any case, I just boarded a random ship that attacked me and my party all got down to super low health before I triumphed. Perfect!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So uh, is there any way to finish exploring Tikawara without doing Maia's quest if you picked it up? Because she magically manages to talk to the guy with the mob even when she's not part of my party.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Finished the game. I didn't do even close to as much content as I would normally do in a first playthrough - I ended at level 18 - because I wanted to save a lot of things to do "for the first time" once the difficulty is fixed.

The world, factions, NPCs, and companions are all a huge step up from Pillars 1. I enjoyed them a lot. My Coastal Aumaua Crusader (Bleak Walker / Devoted) was all in on the RDC, and I felt like a right bastard about it. If you've done that late game, you know why.

I have to say though that the lack of difficulty really got to me as the game went on, causing me to finish it even faster than I planned. I greatly enjoy the lore/stories of this series, so I was intially bullish that having lower difficulty wouldn't be a huge deal. But PotD with level scaling just becomes utterly trivial around level 13, and is really easy anyway until then. So I'm withholding any gameplay opinions until those fixes go live, because at the moment nothing matters, everything explodes instantly. Enemies on PotD need something like double or triple their current HP and triple to quadruple their current damage output. It's that off kilter.

To end on a positive note, I did enjoy the exploration and ship combat a great deal, I ruled the seas on a junk named Iovara.

Eagerly awaiting patches so I can play the game again and do all the stuff I skipped to try the tough version first.

Xalidur fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 24, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

holy moly having F/R Eder and F/M Rekke and F/C Watcher just deletes things. 3x Charge at full attack in cleave stance pretty much wipes out any combat encounter before it starts. Charge is filthy!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I kinda miss having real dungeons. Most dungeons in Poe2 are like two rooms.

I just played Ashen Maw, and while the story parts were cool it was amazing how trivial the whole thing felt. I walked in, talked my way out of fighting the Fire Giants at the entrance, and then sweet talked the Dragon out of killing me too and into giving me the torc. I guess it's cool that I could do that but the whole zone felt a little pointless since I barely fought anything. And even if I had decided to fight my way through, it was a small enough zone that it would have been done in no time.

I hope the DLCs add some good dungeon crawls. Going through Durgans Battery is exhausting but in a good way. I feel accomplished when I finish that zone. In Poe2 I'm often like ho hum here's one fight to win and woops that's it I guess I've got all the good loot now zone over.

I dunno, maybe my opinion there will change when the combat gets overhauled. It doesn't help that right now it's a two prong effect of zones feeling too short in terms of fights and then the fights themselves being trivial even on POTD.

I really like the story and characters, but the combat is a giant turn off right now.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A lot of the combats are more meaningful instead of trash mobs but I was a little disappointed that there weren't more wacky fight setups. I was pleasantly surprised when on the lower level of the observatory I started getting shot from bits of the upper floor I couldn't easily reach. Stuff like some of the undead ambushes were fun too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's kind of a tough balance to strike, I imagine, because I think the goal to avoid having trash fights just to have more fights is a good goal. I'm definitely in favor of fewer, more unique/challenging combat encounters over just having a bunch of them for the sake of it. But it does leave little else to populate dungeons with, since this isn't exactly a puzzle game and mazes would get old quick.

bewilderment posted:

A lot of the combats are more meaningful instead of trash mobs but I was a little disappointed that there weren't more wacky fight setups. I was pleasantly surprised when on the lower level of the observatory I started getting shot from bits of the upper floor I couldn't easily reach. Stuff like some of the undead ambushes were fun too.

Yeah, and I think that even if a fight isn't like story-relevant necessarily, a unique setup or special challenge elevates it above being a "trash" fight. A few more of those would probably be great.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gorelab posted:

So uh, is there any way to finish exploring Tikawara without doing Maia's quest if you picked it up? Because she magically manages to talk to the guy with the mob even when she's not part of my party.
I think it triggers if Maia's in the party first time you land, the conversation triggers even if you've swapped her out before approaching the guy. Not sure if a reload would fix it or you need to take her out of the party before the first visit.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

A lot of the scripted events are super weird and broken. Im positive I've ruined a few questlines by wandering into the wrong room at the wrong time - I did that animancer tower quest by just going there myself and talking to people, and then the quest notes say I should go get more work from valian hq, except nobody has any new dialogue options and I already poo poo canned Luca and took him on my ship. Idk if I need to do another valian quest to get the next animancer one, but either way it's kind of a bummer that the quest notes tell me to do something that I can't actually do.

Also, fun note: if you keep bugging Luca and offering him to join your crew, you get multiples of him.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's kind of a tough balance to strike, I imagine, because I think the goal to avoid having trash fights just to have more fights is a good goal. I'm definitely in favor of fewer, more unique/challenging combat encounters over just having a bunch of them for the sake of it. But it does leave little else to populate dungeons with, since this isn't exactly a puzzle game and mazes would get old quick.

Yeah, and I think that even if a fight isn't like story-relevant necessarily, a unique setup or special challenge elevates it above being a "trash" fight. A few more of those would probably be great.

I think the overall number of encounters was pleasant in Deadfire. I think it gave the combat areas a bit more breathing room, a bit more time to soak in the atmosphere. And I never got the feeling of "yet another group to slog through" which is pretty uncommon in RPGs. I definitely liked that.

But yep, would definitely welcome more interesting setups for the encounters, that is always good.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I'm also fairly certain I've broken the Principi quests, I got chastised by Furrante for murdering crookspur but no followup quest and the other one just keeps telling me to keep tabs on him. Do they send another letter at some point?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

albany academy posted:

I did that animancer tower quest by just going there myself and talking to people, and then the quest notes say I should go get more work from valian hq, except nobody has any new dialogue options and I already poo poo canned Luca and took him on my ship. Idk if I need to do another valian quest to get the next animancer one, but either way it's kind of a bummer that the quest notes tell me to do something that I can't actually do.

albany academy posted:

I'm also fairly certain I've broken the Principi quests, I got chastised by Furrante for murdering crookspur but no followup quest and the other one just keeps telling me to keep tabs on him. Do they send another letter at some point?
Endgame gated.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've gotten a good amount of dialogue prompts that talk about something that didn't happen, or being sent somewhere by someone that never did. Off the top of my head, that guy in Delver's Row that sends you off to take that dude's cornett. If you haven't robbed him but have completed Old City or whatever it's called, you can say you know about the ancient ruins that use the cornetts and then he expresses disbelief and then you can say you got attacked by the guy he sent before you.

Another is that undead island in the bottom right, at some point I was given the option of saying I was sent there by someone I never talked to because I wandered into the undead island. At least I think that was when that happened.

It's a little weird and jarring but whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Having less trash encounters is a worthy goal, but it doesn't really work when the combat is so unbalanced that every encounter is a trash encounter. So I guess that's issue number one, and I'll probably feel better about the smaller scale of encounters when/if that gets fixed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jokes posted:

I've gotten a good amount of dialogue prompts that talk about something that didn't happen, or being sent somewhere by someone that never did. Off the top of my head, that guy in Delver's Row that sends you off to take that dude's cornett. If you haven't robbed him but have completed Old City or whatever it's called, you can say you know about the ancient ruins that use the cornetts and then he expresses disbelief and then you can say you got attacked by the guy he sent before you.

Going down into the Old City via the lift breaks a whole lot of sequences, which sucks because it's way easier to do than going to Delver's Row, talking to Dereo, doing the Cornett quest to talk to his dude in that other part of the city. It also broke the Huana quest to investigate that stuff too, since it wouldn't let me report "Oh yeah I found a bunch of smugglers working with the watershapers", and could only Lie that I didn't find anything? Unless I inadvertently made some promise to not tattle that the game is now holding me to, for some reason.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

lurksion posted:

Endgame gated.

Getting any quests at all from valian hq isnt endgame gated though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I went to Berkana's Observatory and suddenly I had dialogue options for Arkymr telling me to do things despite never having spoken to them before.

I appreciate that Obsidian allowed you to cut out the middle man on certain quests (ESPECIALLY bounties) but it gets a little out of hand when I can pull knowledge out of nowhere like that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One thing that bugs me is there's so many maps on islands that are just a single combat encounter and nothing else. It would be sweet to wipe out some xaurips and go through their huts and tents to get some ingredients to feed my sailors, and maybe find a secret shiny unique one of them stashed away. There are so many unique weapons for sale in shops and so many maps with no lootable containers, it feels like a wasted opportunity

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kith posted:

I went to Berkana's Observatory and suddenly I had dialogue options for Arkymr telling me to do things despite never having spoken to them before.

I appreciate that Obsidian allowed you to cut out the middle man on certain quests (ESPECIALLY bounties) but it gets a little out of hand when I can pull knowledge out of nowhere like that.

Strange, I went there without meeting your spoiler person and I didn't have that experience.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kith posted:

P much. Outside of the bounties, so far I haven't really encountered many quests that acknowledge that I've already been there, done that. I think poko storm quest was the only one where someone was like "oh you've already been there, well let's move on"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GrandpaPants posted:

Going down into the Old City via the lift breaks a whole lot of sequences, which sucks because it's way easier to do than going to Delver's Row, talking to Dereo, doing the Cornett quest to talk to his dude in that other part of the city.

i don't think just going into the old city breaks stuff? when i first went into the gullet i saw the cutscene at the elevator, talked to the spouse, bribed the guard to let me use the elevator, went down and immediately found what i was looking for, came back up & reported to the spouse and everything worked fine.

my guess would be if you go down the lift and start to actually explore past the immediate area you land in, that's when things get broken? that, or i just got exceptionally lucky that doing exactly what i was told to do didn't break anything (which is possible given the general stability of event flags in the game at present).

i really like that there's fewer encounters because trash packs are just about the worst possible thing in a slow-paced CRPG - they work in something like diablo et al because the game moves so quick, but in a RTWP system they just draaaaaaaag out.

:tinfoil: it would have been pretty clever of ropekid to intentionally set the baseline difficulty level at baby-mode just so that all the people who say "why do you rebalance single player content" would instead ask him to rebalance poo poo in their single player game :tinfoil:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
it begins, lol ✌️

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/51

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aloth? Who wants Aloth?

Now if someone makes an Iselmyr romance mod I'll dl that poo poo in a heart beat

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Lol

If this mod is installed in a game where the Watcher is not romancing Aloth, you may find your wizard friend's behavior a little... overly friendly. Either uninstall the mod or pretend Aloth has a huge, poorly-hidden crush on the Watcher and proceed accordingly.

Edit - I really appreciated being able to go "Nope" and nip all potential relationships in the bud.

Except I didn't quite know how to react when serial killer Xoti expressed interest.

derra fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Just give me the bird already!