Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As to the DLC specifically -- which shades? if it was the bridge ablaze initial fight that's supposed to be that hard. The initial dragon is supposed to be easy.
Given that they're talking about the teleporting palette-swapped shades, I think they mean the Ice Shades in the southwest of the map immediately after you climb up the glacier. They have a fairly nasty teleport+damage+(maybe debuff?) effect, drop Ninagauth's Pillars' on you pretty frequently, and turn into a Greater Ice Blight when killed. They gave me a fair bit of trouble too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ravenfood posted:

Given that they're talking about the teleporting palette-swapped shades, I think they mean the Ice Shades in the southwest of the map immediately after you climb up the glacier. They have a fairly nasty teleport+damage+(maybe debuff?) effect, drop Ninagauth's Pillars' on you pretty frequently, and turn into a Greater Ice Blight when killed. They gave me a fair bit of trouble too.

Oh yeah, those were kindof a pain but then I realized they were extremely fire vulnerable. It helps a lot if you build Vatnir as a fire-specced priest for the DLC.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I didn't find any enemies in this game anywhere near as annoying as one specific kind of ghost in white march that I can't remember the name of. Battery Phantom or something like that. They had a solid amount of HP (more than I could nuke quickly), a ton of defenses in all categories, and would spam giant aoe paralysis / raw damage aoes. They would graze hits with paralysis on half my party for 10 seconds each, and came in pairs, and came with other ghosts who could swap place with party members. I... wasn't so interested in continuing the dlc after meeting those guys.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Should I upgrade my ship ASAP? Or can I continue to do it gradually? Quite expensive early game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

Should I upgrade my ship ASAP? Or can I continue to do it gradually? Quite expensive early game.
You won't need to for a long, long time. I'm level 15 and just got up to a dhow. Also, I wish the drat people who send you a great cannon would send you two so I could at least have some goddamn symmetry on my ship!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seeing as the level cap isn't raised in the DLC what if there was some kind of legendary levels, like every 10000 xp after level 20 you get a stat boost. It wouldn't dramatically alter the endgame but it would stop xp from becoming useless.

The map sort reminds me of Mass Effect 1: you have the one city dense with quests and outside you have miles and miles of space. The difference being you're not piloting a bouncy-castle, there are no copy-paste environments, the side-quests aren't hideously low budget, and your party members CAN hit the broad side of a barn.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 18, 2018

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

You won't need to for a long, long time. I'm level 15 and just got up to a dhow. Also, I wish the drat people who send you a great cannon would send you two so I could at least have some goddamn symmetry on my ship!

Ah ok, good. I ask because when I started the game shortly after release, I got my rear end handed to me by a pirate ship while scouting around. (but they might have balanced it since release) I also just got the "Floating Hangman" quest.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I would say upgrading your sails, anchor, and anything that raises ship speed should be more priority than getting a bigger ship. The travel speed when you get some of the best ship upgrades where it applies to is quite noticeable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rocket_man38 posted:

I think the path I'd recommend is

1) buy ship upgrades (cannon, hull, sails, etc.) for the basic starting sloop

2) Get all the various bounties and go around and kill everything dhow or smaller with your sloop

3) jump straight to Junk and kill everything else and turn in all remaining bounties

You can clean up that way pretty fast without technically engaging in the standard tactical combat, just using the ship minigame. It's entirely optional though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Speaking of ships, what do crew skills actually do? Cannoneer appears to increase cannon hit rate, but no idea for the rest.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Avalerion posted:

Speaking of ships, what do crew skills actually do? Cannoneer appears to increase cannon hit rate, but no idea for the rest.

Surgeon increases recovery speed for wounded crew for each rank. iirc the Watcher's captain rank is ship combat initiative? A bunch are checked in various ship-based scripted interactions, like sailing into storms has a few events that check Deckhand skills.

The ship management interface isn't so great at telling you what/how much your crew skills are getting you via tooltips/etc. It's been a bit since I went digging through the Cyclopedia for that information but it may be in there.

e: oh hey, here we go:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_crew_members posted:

Boatswain: The boatswain counts as a deckhand, but is more important for their ability to accelerate the completion of special events (such as putting out a deck fire) on the ship by coordinating their actions.
Helmsman: A helmsman is required for turning and jibe actions in ship-to-ship combat. More experienced helmsmen make the ship harder to hit after performing turn and jibe actions.
Navigator: The navigator increases speed on the World Map.
Cannoneer: Cannons cannot fire without a cannoneer assigned to them. The more experienced a cannoneer, the more accurate their fire.
Surgeon: The surgeon increases the rate of healing for injured crew members in Reserve, both in combat and while traveling.
Cook: Reduces food consumption while traveling.
Deckhand: Deckhands are required to perform any maneuvers in ship-to-ship combat. If a ship does not have enough deckhands, it will move more slowly on the World Map. The more skilled deckhands a ship has, the faster it will move in combat.

En Garde Motherfuckers fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 18, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
My general path is to buy a Dhow, load it up with bronze doublers, then sail around grabbing all the best crew and sinking everything that's a dhow or smaller while playing normally. By that time usually my party has leveled enough that anything bigger then a dhow can be won in battle, so it's boarding from thereon out. And also getting the Voulge early on so I never have to worry about storms again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it possible to run out of ships to slaughter?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

As to the DLC specifically -- which shades? if it was the bridge ablaze initial fight that's supposed to be that hard. The initial dragon is supposed to be easy.

I found bridge ablaze easy (so much so that I'm not sure what fight you even mean) whereas the Messenger was really difficult and almost killed me.

Does anyone know what the huge empty island north of Dunnage is about? Honestly I expected Beast of Winter to take place there so now I'm surprised.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to run out of ships to slaughter?

If I remember right if you sink every other ship on the world map, there will be one merchant ship remaining which can't be attacked. Maybe so there's always someone who can sell to you?

E: man I wish I'd done Bridge Ablaze last. I did it first because they posted a bunch of spoilers in the launch day update and I wanted to get what I'd seen out of the way, but it was easily my favorite scenario. Going to be doing it last on every playthrough from now on

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 18, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taear posted:

I found bridge ablaze easy (so much so that I'm not sure what fight you even mean) whereas the Messenger was really difficult and almost killed me.

Does anyone know what the huge empty island north of Dunnage is about? Honestly I expected Beast of Winter to take place there so now I'm surprised.

Probably one of the other DLCs.

The ring you get in Beast of Winter from the brewer: its got a nice reflect chance I suppose, but upgrading it gives it an action speed debuff to you and to everything else around you in a 1.5m radius. Its -7% for you, but does anyone know how much it is for the enemies? If its the same, I'm not sure I'd generally want to upgrade it, which is a shame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Probably one of the other DLCs.

The ring you get in Beast of Winter from the brewer: its got a nice reflect chance I suppose, but upgrading it gives it an action speed debuff to you and to everything else around you in a 1.5m radius. Its -7% for you, but does anyone know how much it is for the enemies? If its the same, I'm not sure I'd generally want to upgrade it, which is a shame.

I guess. Since Beast of Winter just appears on the map though I figured the other DLCs will be the same.

Edit: Looks like it's for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor since the stuff about it says "a previously unoccupied island"

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 18, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So uh, anyone know a good album of sea shanties?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This Reddit thread (I know) has some good stuff. Beyond that, Valparaiso Men's Chorus does a lot of em

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JawKnee posted:

"I have strong feelings about EVERYTHING" is the best dialogue option in the entire game

i think i prefer "You destroyed my castle and ate my soul, jackass."

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Did anyone figure out how to lower the water level in Sunken Crown? Been trying everything to lower the water level for those two staircases.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 19, 2018

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I like having gimmicky ship crews. On my first playthrough I had that female ogre from the gullet, that Xaurip, and near the end the dargul "You sure about that? Thing is .... hardtack won't do the trick with a thing like me." Plus the starting guys and some unmemorable hirelings from bars.

Also, I didn't get Vatnir as a sidekick/companion. He made a poor first impression on me so I didn't demand that he accompany me as I fix the mess, and once you beat the DLC he just has generic 'float over his head' lines and can't be recruited. Oops-

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Psykmoe posted:

Also, I didn't get Vatnir as a sidekick/companion. He made a poor first impression on me so I didn't demand that he accompany me as I fix the mess, and once you beat the DLC he just has generic 'float over his head' lines and can't be recruited. Oops-

It's a real shame he isn't a proper companion although I know that would have involved having to write/voice lines for him all through the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, I think I can definably say that dumping a bunch of money into the ship is a waste, for two reasons:

1) They doubled the cost of the Galleon and Junk since release, and

2) You get less money from the ship minigame than you do from doing the boarding combats (more sailor experience, too, but less standard experience).

So if you take the starting Berath's Blessings for +55k, and on top of that do all the non-combat quests you can, you end up with around 100k, which is roughly enough to buy and equip a junk or galleon. If you get the best crew members etc. you can then take that Junk and wipe every named ship off the map using the ship minigame.

Problem: you end up netting out around 50k -- in other words, about where you started. And that's counting the bounty rewards from doing all four ship-bounty-givers (Aenia, Wayoko, Udita, Barati) (the other bounty givers have a few ship fights laced in but are mostly land encounters). And due to the larger crew sizes, you face MUCH higher ongoing maintenance costs from your new Galleon.

The only real advantage is probably if you want to pump your experience up as far as possible without engaging in standard, map-and-character combat. Otherwise you're going to be MUCH better off using the starting sloop. Equip it well and you can take out voyagers, sloops and dhows in the minigame, and then just board everything else.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 19, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Urthor posted:

Did anyone figure out how to lower the water level in Sunken Crown? Been trying everything to lower the water level for those two staircases.

There are a couple of items you need to get to work some of the puzzles. Make sure you've talked to everyone you can talk to etc.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish the opening was scripted so that you can't randomly lose potential crew members, and even Eder.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I kind of figure that by the time you’ve got the money for a junk you’ve won every ship battle that a junk would have made more interesting

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I do like having a dhow just for the boatswain position and the extra set of guns to speed things up. Plus I think it looks better.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

So if you take the starting Berath's Blessings for +55k, and on top of that do all the non-combat quests you can, you end up with around 100k, which is roughly enough to buy and equip a junk or galleon. If you get the best crew members etc. you can then take that Junk and wipe every named ship off the map using the ship minigame.

Gonna stop you right there: the ship minigame. Why on earth do people do that and pass up the opportunity to board a ship and actually participate in combat with their characters?

Boarding combat is like half the combat in the entire game!

All I need from my ship is the ability to close the distance quickly without dying in the process. What's the best ship for that on PotD, the Dhow?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pmchem posted:

Gonna stop you right there: the ship minigame. Why on earth do people do that and pass up the opportunity to board a ship and actually participate in combat with their characters?

All I need from my ship is the ability to close the distance quickly without dying in the process. What's the best ship for that on PotD, the Dhow?

I was trying to figure out what the max level / setup you could reach without doing "combat" was. I kinda enjoy the ship minigame but yeah the net conclusion is that you're robbing yourself if you bother with it. (Answer: about level 10 if you don't do ship minigame bounties, about level 12 if you do, depending on your tolerances).

I honestly don't think there's any point in any ship other than the starting sloop if you want to play "optimally." The Voyager is technically better for boarding but in practice it's so flimsy you risk getting blown apart before you board; in practice, you're probably best off just getting the hull and sail upgrades for your basic sloop (the Blessing ones are good choices) and just closing to board.

You could upgrade to the Dhow if you want a few extra crew for the fights, but even there you're better off just recruiting all the companions.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel like the only way that I've made any appreciable cash is by selling the high quality gear I've received from ship to ship combat. I just assumed I wouldn't get it if I sunk the ship, since the people would all be underwater. Do you still get everything when you sink them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like the only way that I've made any appreciable cash is by selling the high quality gear I've received from ship to ship combat. I just assumed I wouldn't get it if I sunk the ship, since the people would all be underwater. Do you still get everything when you sink them?

You get most of it but not all of it, yeah, you're better off boarding.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

pmchem posted:

Do both: use grapeshot and kill some of the top crew and then close in and board. You even get to see a bunch of bloody bodies.

Anyway yeah I was team dhow for most of the game. I bought a galleon on my last set of bounties near the end of the game just cause.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Upkeep for ship and crew has been tedious thus far, but I am not too far into the game yet. Morale is the hardest to keep up, especially with a scrub crew.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rocket_man38 posted:

Upkeep for ship and crew has been tedious thus far, but I am not too far into the game yet. Morale is the hardest to keep up, especially with a scrub crew.

Buy a shitload of rice or fruit instead of hardtack and ale instead of water and the upkeep's pretty easy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

Buy a shitload of rice or fruit instead of hardtack and ale instead of water and the upkeep's pretty easy.

Not even that. Go win a ship battle, share the coins with the crew, and you're good to go.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I wish there were infinitely respawning ships so I could play pirate forever. It’s sad that you can clear all seas content.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

pmchem posted:

I wish there were infinitely respawning ships so I could play pirate forever. It’s sad that you can clear all seas content.

I thought slavers respawned until you clear out Crookspur

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

divx posted:

I thought slavers respawned until you clear out Crookspur

I think so, but Willbreaker is a really good morningstar so doing it relatively early is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

I was trying to figure out what the max level / setup you could reach without doing "combat" was. I kinda enjoy the ship minigame but yeah the net conclusion is that you're robbing yourself if you bother with it. (Answer: about level 10 if you don't do ship minigame bounties, about level 12 if you do, depending on your tolerances).

I honestly don't think there's any point in any ship other than the starting sloop if you want to play "optimally." The Voyager is technically better for boarding but in practice it's so flimsy you risk getting blown apart before you board; in practice, you're probably best off just getting the hull and sail upgrades for your basic sloop (the Blessing ones are good choices) and just closing to board.

You could upgrade to the Dhow if you want a few extra crew for the fights, but even there you're better off just recruiting all the companions.

I thought you might need one of the bigger boats to get to Ukaizo without the help of a faction, but if you don't then yeah there really isn't that much need to upgrade. If you know ahead of time you'll be going with a faction that gives you a fancy boat for free you could wait until the endgame to do your boat business too, though by that point you're at the doorstep of the finale and may not see much need to get into hours of ship fights.

With all the challenge options being added to the game I started thinking about how one might actually complete them with Triple Crown/Solo active without needing to spend ~200 hours meticulously planning every single instance of combat with a parallel save. Near as I can figure the answer is: skip everything in Port Maje to get your boat back ASAP, soak up as much cash/XP as you can without fighting, get the sails and hull, then go directly to Ukaizo and use invisibility to skip the required fights in the endgame (assuming that's a thing that hasn't been patched out). The "no fleeing combat" challenge shuts this down hard but none of the other challenges so far stop this from being the safest strategy.