Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

which is a drat shame because you could do this to the leaden key in poe1. you could literally wipe out every member in the entire region, just walk into their office and straight up murder everyone there because they looked at you wrong and destabilize them entirely

why you can't do that here, after doing blood-and-justice all up and down the caed nua region, is just dumb

An invisible organization that the average person doesn't know about that influenced events through-out history is different than a major power in the world, who is actively conquering it. It would be nice, but it also would have the consequence of making an enemy of a major power without one protecting you, so people will complain that the moment they got out to sea an armada of ships attacked them.

It's an action that would result in a fail-state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ProfessorCirno posted:

EDIT: Like if your response is "the game is about learning about the lore and setting!" then congratulations, you have described a book.
Yeah, a bad one

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The best part of the Pillars game is the combat. I didn't care about murdering Thaos a second time, but I certainly looked forward to seeing my dumb combat ideas unfold.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

frajaq posted:

HUNT A GOD
SAVE YOUR SOUL

*Eothas's hand reach towards the ship where your companions are, as they ready for battle*

The marketing did just went with something that sounded cool and in doing so created the wrong expectations.
But when playing the game I never felt the story was building up to a combat encounter with Eothas.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I cant remember - what happens if you murderbone all the factions in poe2? What is the wild card state

I'm pretty sure it gives you the standard factionless ending in that case: you buy some fancy boat upgrades and sail to Ukaizo alone. The factions get stuck in a stalemate for control of the Deadfire because there's no decisive naval battle over Ukaizo to determine a "winner", and the whole region goes to poo poo more so than it was during the events of the game itself. The Watcher gets (more) famous for being the first person to set foot in Ukaizo. Unless they added new ending slides in a patch it doesn't really reflect the different ways you can get to it, from "I worked with every faction a little, did some stuff that arguably should have some long-term impact, but went my own way in the end" to "I personally killed everyone in the known world in my journey to become King poo poo of Murder Mountain, then bought a fancy boat I guess"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh yeah good point, I wonder if you lose the quest discount

I doubt it, but the mountains of loot you'd get from (presumably also) singlehandedly murdering every living person in the game would make a few thousand cp off your purchase of a galleon look like chump change either way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

HUNT A GOD
SAVE YOUR SOUL

*Eothas's hand reach towards the ship where your companions are, as they ready for battle*

For this picture they should have done a pic of Ashen Maw where Eothas grabs you with his big hand in an evil looking volcano, and then when people got there they'd be like "oh cool he's actually saving me"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah, fond memories of battling an ancient Engwithan fampyr and his cronies, after he ranted at me about beetles, on that very hand

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I can’t say it wouldn’t have ruled if the promo material had been the party waiting patiently in the foreground while huge fantastical avatars engage in a petty squabble, pointing at each other and mugging

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Ah, fond memories of battling an ancient Engwithan fampyr and his cronies, after he ranted at me about beetles, on that very hand
It was a dead hand severed from the statue but Eothas has *magical gem healing powers* or whatever. Total immersion breaker. Game ruined

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I wanted to play through the game again as a rogue with a crossbow but then I remembered that weapon type and several others don't really exist in deadfire. One thing I think the first game did better is the itemization, and I'm not just talking about some types of weapons getting completely shafted. The lack of multiclass meant a lot of niche items were still useful in specific builds due to spell holding/auras/passives and the characters being more specialized.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jimbot posted:

It's very interactive. You just want to be king of the world.

That was stale bullshit two months ago, and unsurprisingly, it hasn't gotten any fresher.

Nobody here is mad they weren't made king of Deadfire, and you saying that kinda clues in that you're just speaking out of your rear end. People are saying that they didn't feel like their character actually mattered.

Also.

quote:

You're using the factions as much as they are using you. It's why after people played it, there were pages long discussions on which faction was best for Deadfire and each one had its positives and negatives.

Let's look at the Huana questline.

First, they pay you to go investigate the undercity, which really isn't you using them. Then, you go to a strange and mysterious island to find knowledge the prince wants that you can't use, so hey, they're still using you. Next, you go into the Watershaper's Guild to help them deal with all THAT bullshit, and I'm really still not seeing how this is helping you outside of "also they pay you." Finally, you kill a bunch of slavers, and then get rid of the other two major factions, for the Huana.

Man yeah I really see how I'm using them a ton there. And this is repeated across the other factions. You are never really a member of any of the factions. You are at best a Very Friendly Mercenary, and again, this is repeated in the ending, which is "and then the watcher hosed off as if nothing happened." Except Aeldys, I guess, so there you go, you can fully join one side of one faction.

And think about what you just said. People are debating over which faction was best for Deadfire. loving nobody debated over what the best actions for your Watcher to take are. Because throughout the whole game, you are eternally an outsider (even if you were born in the loving Deadfire), and you leave an outsider. It doesn't even matter who you romance. Game is over? Man I hope the romance wasn't TOO serious, because apparently you just loving bailed on them in the end.

At the end of the day, there's no ending for the Watcher in Pillars 2, because you as a character do not matter. You as a game mechanic that does quests matters, but your own actual input? No.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Pallegina called me her casitá so I think you'll find I matter very much :colbert:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

camerata > compagna > casitá

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

That was stale bullshit two months ago, and unsurprisingly, it hasn't gotten any fresher.

Nobody here is mad they weren't made king of Deadfire, and you saying that kinda clues in that you're just speaking out of your rear end. People are saying that they didn't feel like their character actually mattered.

Also.

Last two pages have been about player agency or the lack of it on matters that, in the context of the world, you wouldn't have any. Being the pawn of a major power is precisely because you're an outsider - it's part of the framing device. If you don't like being a pawn then just murder everyone and be the master of your own destiny. Head to the goal yourself while exploiting them for your own financial gain. It's your character and the choices you make define the character. And as an outsider, who was set on this journey by being killed by one god and brought back by another, is fulfilled and you set out on another adventure.

I won't argue that there's a level of detachment there. But in this kind of story that lets you influence the state of the world, being able to roam free is paramount. It's every tabletop character ever - they don't have immediate obligations that tether them to one place or else they wouldn't go on adventures.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 16, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

rope kid posted:

*Christopher Walken voice* Would you like some...compagna?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

Cruising for a bruising in your own thread, wow

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

rope kid posted:

Oh yeah. Well the point is, I think she likes me

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Make an Alpha Protocol style arpg with all the story reactivity but set in PoE's universe tia

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

are those showing priority, or progression?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Make an Alpha Protocol style arpg with all the story reactivity but set in PoE's universe tia

Work for a fantasy Steven Heck.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

isk posted:

*Christopher Walken voice* Would you like some...compagna?

This came off way more eyebrow-waggly than I intended, but whatever

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Basic Chunnel posted:

I can’t say it wouldn’t have ruled if the promo material had been the party waiting patiently in the foreground while huge fantastical avatars engage in a petty squabble, pointing at each other and mugging

wael would never 'mug'. it'd look more like...

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

ProfessorCirno posted:

Let's look at the Huana questline.

First, they pay you to go investigate the undercity, which really isn't you using them. Then, you go to a strange and mysterious island to find knowledge the prince wants that you can't use, so hey, they're still using you. Next, you go into the Watershaper's Guild to help them deal with all THAT bullshit, and I'm really still not seeing how this is helping you outside of "also they pay you." Finally, you kill a bunch of slavers, and then get rid of the other two major factions, for the Huana.

Man yeah I really see how I'm using them a ton there. And this is repeated across the other factions. You are never really a member of any of the factions. You are at best a Very Friendly Mercenary, and again, this is repeated in the ending, which is "and then the watcher hosed off as if nothing happened." Except Aeldys, I guess, so there you go, you can fully join one side of one faction.

And think about what you just said. People are debating over which faction was best for Deadfire. loving nobody debated over what the best actions for your Watcher to take are. Because throughout the whole game, you are eternally an outsider (even if you were born in the loving Deadfire), and you leave an outsider. It doesn't even matter who you romance. Game is over? Man I hope the romance wasn't TOO serious, because apparently you just loving bailed on them in the end.

At the end of the day, there's no ending for the Watcher in Pillars 2, because you as a character do not matter. You as a game mechanic that does quests matters, but your own actual input? No.

isn't this every rpg where ur a blank slate yojimbo character?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

wael would never 'mug'. it'd look more like...

Wael would be one of those assholes wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and acting mysterious

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

marshmallow creep posted:

are those showing priority, or progression?
She calls you her camerata only if you ally with the VTC and are best buds. She calls you her compagna if you’re on good terms. Casità just acknowledges that you’re a ship captain.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ginette Reno posted:

Wael would be one of those assholes wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and acting mysterious

wael is beautiful, dandy and bright. eothas is the basement dwelling incel chud who's mad at daddy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, I understand why many players do not like the ending of Deadfire. I did make a conscious choice to not allow the player to prevent Eothas from breaking the machine at Ukaizo, but allowed them to determine how the metaphysical wreckage would settle, who would control Ukaizo (if anyone) as well as the course that individual major factions would take (e.g. Castol/Alvari, Furrante/Aeldys). I cautioned our marketing folks against making Eothas look like he was being aggressive toward the party because it could set up an expectation of violent confrontation. In the game, we did try to reinforce at several points that Eothas was both impervious to physical harm and he couldn't be dissuaded from his primary goal. I think the end of Ashen Maw makes at least the former very clear -- though again, I understand there's a difference between understanding something and liking it.

I appreciate a lot of stories where the central characters can either only mitigate doom or they can't mitigate the doom directly, only deal with collateral damage. In a game like F:NV, you can affect a lot more in part because even monstrous people like Legate Lanius in the setting are still just people -- but things always go wrong. When F:NV came out, a fair number of vocal players were annoyed that there wasn't an "all good" ending. There are always things that get screwed up no matter what you do, sometimes because of, sometimes in spite of, your actions. The gods of Eora, including Eothas, are incredibly powerful and stubborn. Being pushed around and ignored by the gods was supposed to feel annoying and irritating, but the resolution to the story wasn't supposed to be unsatisfying. My hope was that the gods' increasing desperation and reliance on the Watcher would give the player a sense of satisfaction and that Eothas' willingness to listen to the Watcher's opinions about how to leave things would give them a sense of place and purpose between Eothas, the gods, and mortals. Unfortunately, for a lot of people, that was more aggravating.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just want to endlessly board a variety of ships as a goddamn pirate.

Arrrr.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So does this mean Pillars 3 is going to be an adaptation of Fritz Lang's Metropolis?

The mediator between head and hands must be the heart!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

The gods of Eora, including Eothas, are incredibly powerful and stubborn. Being pushed around and ignored by the gods was supposed to feel annoying and irritating, but the resolution to the story wasn't supposed to be unsatisfying. My hope was that the gods' increasing desperation and reliance on the Watcher would give the player a sense of satisfaction and that Eothas' willingness to listen to the Watcher's opinions about how to leave things would give them a sense of place and purpose between Eothas, the gods, and mortals. Unfortunately, for a lot of people, that was more aggravating.
I mean it’s undeniably satisfying to see the Gods freak out but it’s also more or less undeniable that they’re not freaking out because of anything I did - it’s the difference between watching the Patriots blow it at the Super Bowl and you yourself actually beating the Patriots, at the Super Bowl. Or at the very least, I don’t know, financing the team that beats the Patriots, or giving all the Patriots food poisoning at halftime. You know what I’m trying to convey here. Even getting the opportunity to tell the Patriots exactly how I feel about their plans going to poo poo isn’t quite that satisfying.

I don’t have to kill the Gods with my two hands but I’d like a thumb in their eye, at least. I don’t feel that I matter in any way to what happens beyond what Eothas allows me.

I’m also surprised (though I really should not be) that people thought FNV didn’t have a good ending when you can spare the Khans and the Brotherhood and the Boomers in the NCR ending.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm very interested in player disempowerment in stories, so I was all in on it. And to me it seems very fitting for the PoE setting for whatever reason.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Eothas is the Battle Of Hoover Dam, basically. You can't stop it from happening but you can affect how things shake out.

One thing I'd have much preferred would be to have a conversation with him like the one with the Eyeless at the end of White March 2, where the way you've resolved quests previously affects what options are available to you. You can't empower Berath if you took anarchistic options like siding with Aeldys, etc. I liked telling the Eyeless "knowledge is dangerous" and they said "really, bc you liked knowledge just fine at the animancy hearings"

I can only imagine what a nightmare that would have been to program though. I can't even get modded-in crewmember names to display in scripted interactions

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

rope kid posted:

I appreciate a lot of stories where the central characters can either only mitigate doom or they can't mitigate the doom directly, only deal with collateral damage.

I wonder if the reception would have been different were it a doom that didn't have agency. Or if it were a doom like Iluvatar's, where the being responsible is so high above reality he's literally outside of creation. I actually really like the fake Engwithan gods, but they are basically a scam. So it really feels more like a juiced up conman is loving you over, not that you are making hard choices in doomed circumstances.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah except theyre actually almighty gods, there is no con in that aspect, and being a giant statue is a bit more than "juiced up"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

rope kid posted:

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, that was more aggravating.

The only aggravating part is imagining running into durance and him lording it over you that at least *he* stopped Eothas once.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

User posted:

I wonder if the reception would have been different were it a doom that didn't have agency. Or if it were a doom like Iluvatar's, where the being responsible is so high above reality he's literally outside of creation. I actually really like the fake Engwithan gods, but they are basically a scam. So it really feels more like a juiced up conman is loving you over, not that you are making hard choices in doomed circumstances.

They are in every sense of the word gods though. Magran can erupt volcanoes. Ondra summoned a moon. It's implied that Woedica used to apparate to personally strangle oath breakers. With the wheel they had the power to punish or reward deeds in life upon death.

I think the big divider in who liked the story and who didn't boiled down to how steeped someone was in religion and mythology. Whether they were created or not, they *were* gods, and they sat at the top of the order. They could reward devotion, and they could punish transgressions. I'm not sure that some of the pantheon even cared if mortals knew they were created, so long as mortals still worshiped them and didn't try to unseat them.

I never expected to be able to stop a god because I was raised to know that a god is totally and completely above a mortal. You worshiped, you feared, you loved, and you obeyed because you existed at the pleasure of a being that could smite you in the now and the hereafter with no recourse.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 16, 2018

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Durance and Edér are by far the best written NPCs in the games.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

They are in every sense of the word gods though. Magran can erupt volcanoes. Ondra summoned a moon. It's implied that Woedica used to apparate to personally strangle oath breakers. With the wheel they had the power to punish or reward deeds in life upon death.

I think the big divider in who liked the story and who didn't boiled down to how steeped someone was in religion and mythology. Whether they were created or not, they *were* gods, and they sat at the top of the order. They could reward devotion, and they could punish transgressions. I'm not sure that some of the pantheon even cared if mortals knew they were created, so long as mortals still worshiped them and didn't try to unseat them.

I never expected to be able to stop a god because I was raised to know that a god is totally and completely above a mortal. You worshiped, you feared, you loved, and you obeyed because you existed at the pleasure of a being that could smite you in the now and the hereafter with no recourse.

If the gods are so powerful, then how come with the entire pantheon supporting the Watcher, he still just gets to, well, watch.

Oh snap nominative determinism strikes again. Stupid pantheon, you should've made him a godstopper.

User fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 16, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The only aggravating part is imagining running into durance and him lording it over you that at least *he* stopped Eothas once.

Lmao if you didn't murder him for his poo poo so you didn't have to sit through his lovely monologues.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Again though you didn’t have to stop Eothas, could have been written so that you have to help him break the machine. Or even just instead of Eothas asking what he should do with his essence after, the player himself just does it. Or you fight him after he breaks it when he’s weakened himself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I quite liked the ending, although it wasn’t really in line with my expectations. The marketing was more or less “hunt a god, my lord” to be fair.

I was expecting a McGuffin to show up at some point but it never happened. By the time I started sailing to the point of no return with no concrete plan to stop Eothas it did dawn on me that, yep, that’s probably how things are going to play out.

There is a lot to be said though for concluding a game that’s primarily focused on tactical combat by tactical combat, even if the ending doesn’t work out in the player’s favour. While the guardian of Ukaizo was cool it wasn’t a fight with much emotional weight.